Plan a Trip

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I beg you to plan a trip. Beg you to see what it is like for travelers to plan a road trip point A to point B, stopping overnight enroute in between.
After five browser windows nearly exploded I gave up.
You know the one thing I saw that really caught my eye and I liked immediately? Widgets or sample reviews, right there nice and tidy on the home page. I knew when I read those that the innkeepers were conscientious. Of course, then they were nowhere near the route we might be taking.
  1. I was on BBONLINE and kept seeing the same inn/lodge show up on every search I did and it was nowhere near where we are going.
  2. I was on BedandBreakfast.com and DISPLAY ALL INNS for the cities showing on the map - which I thought was pretty nifty - well it displayed ZERO inns! Nice of them ot have a map of that particular region with city names and NO B&B's listed (ovb they chose not to on this directory).
  3. I TA'd the whole thing trying to find B&B's nearby and kept getting these lovely Hotels. I even went into those City Tourism Pages for that state and got all hotel information - the B&B's need to get with the pgrm, as they could be showing up grandly there!
So all that to say, I give up. I am on the internet every day and cannot plan a trip, what hope does that give our guests? It means hotels will get my hard earned bucks, easier to find them, book them and stop along the way. This is a shame of course.

Have had this experience too. Got really frustrated when a Super 8 showed up under a B&B search!

Going to stay over at an inn nearby and wanted to check the amenities in the room. I know the name of the place, but no idea exactly where it is located. The rooms page showed the exact same text for every room, just changed the photo when you clicked on the room number. How do I know what each room has and if it has what I want???
Don't make this hard on me!
I will say they had an excellent map for directions.

Joey Bloggs said:
I beg you to plan a trip. Beg you to see what it is like for travelers to plan a road trip point A to point B, stopping overnight enroute in between.
After five browser windows nearly exploded I gave up.
I can honestly say that the planning of the trip is the most stressful part of the whole trip. Staying with the inlaws doesn't even compare to the the stress of the planning. ;)

I agree. It can be really challenging unless you search by specific city under TA or something and there are B&Bs there. There are a lot of B&Bs that need to get with it when it comes to their websites and the info on them.
I've searched since we've closed and we are out there on a myriad of sites that I never heard of: IgoUgo, Virtual Tourist, Travelpost, Travelpod, Goby, just to name a few. Where the heck did all of these come from? Many seem to have gleaned info from either TA or bed and breakfast. com. Fascinating!
I listed our place on the usual suspects and have closed most of those down but we're still out there & I suspect will be for awhile.

I agree. It can be really challenging unless you search by specific city under TA or something and there are B&Bs there. There are a lot of B&Bs that need to get with it when it comes to their websites and the info on them.
I've searched since we've closed and we are out there on a myriad of sites that I never heard of: IgoUgo, Virtual Tourist, Travelpost, Travelpod, Goby, just to name a few. Where the heck did all of these come from? Many seem to have gleaned info from either TA or bed and breakfast. com. Fascinating!
I listed our place on the usual suspects and have closed most of those down but we're still out there & I suspect will be for awhile..
Looking at TA re the "Lodge" and its town-- the site lists a chain motel which isn't there and never was. Do you know how to let TA know this is an error? I clicked around their site, but saw no easy way to report this. ( Location is about 30 miles away.) By the by, the lodge is still showing up on directory listings 3 years now since it was last open, including some reviews--you may eventually have to consider changing your phone #.

I listed our place on the usual suspects and have closed most of those down but we're still out there & I suspect will be for awhile..
Looking at TA re the "Lodge" and its town-- the site lists a chain motel which isn't there and never was. Do you know how to let TA know this is an error? I clicked around their site, but saw no easy way to report this. ( Location is about 30 miles away.) By the by, the lodge is still showing up on directory listings 3 years now since it was last open, including some reviews--you may eventually have to consider changing your phone #.
I told them last year about a new 'inn' that showed up under the B&B's in my town. Nothing in my town named that. And when I found the actual property it was in a town with the same name in another state and it is not a B&B, it is a motel. Has it been removed? Nope. And it's been close to a year, so even if they were 'behind' in getting to these things, it's long past.
PLUS, I did all the work! I found the other property, address and all in the other state and put all of the info into the email to them. Got a nice, 'thanks for telling us, we'll look into it' email back, but nothing. I'm tempted to start writing really bad reviews for the place.
Yahoo is like this with places that are closed. A motel that has been closed for 5 years is still showing up in Yahoo rated better than my place is. Along with 5-6 other places that are long closed.
If the other place in your case listed themselves in your town, you're kind of out of luck on that. We've had that happen here. We've also had people move their map pin so their property is located in a different place than it really is.

White Pine, actually we are probably going to get rid of our land line once I've tied up all the loose ends on the business. We'll just use our mobile phones. No need to have a land line anymore. :)

Google. It rocks.
But yeah, I just planned a trip I'm on... there are some truly crappy websites out there. The place we're staying was high on the list... but I didn't know if it had wifi and had to call and ask. Put it on the site!!
They also had crappy TA reviews, but we're here anyway...and it's fine.
=)
Kk.

Back