Plan an overnight at a B&B and get frustrated real quick

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is getting to the very difficulty we have at getting more of the traveling public to embrace B&B's. I know I'm preaching to the choir on this forum since the innkeepers here all clearly care way more about their businesses and are much savvier with the internet and marketing, but Joey's problem is the same problem your average consumer has.
The experience of finding and booking a B&B leaves a lot to be desired when compared to other types of lodging. Sure - there are fantastic properties and websites out there, but they so often get tangled up with the rest.
I still remember so vividly giving a presentation at a B&B in Napa to almost 20 innkeepers. I stayed at the B&B for a couple days - but almost every innkeeper in the room stayed at the Embassy Suites!!!! Innkeepers!!!! When asked why - "it was too hard to find a B&B, didn't want to have to check availability on every different site, didn't want to wait to hear back from a rez request, etc. etc."
That was four years ago now... and it still echos today..
The infrequent times I get to travel, I am on a deadline to get somewhere so we are "hit & split" travelers and that has to be motel. IF I had the choice it would be B & B and when I get to travel again, it will always be B & B.

This is getting to the very difficulty we have at getting more of the traveling public to embrace B&B's. I know I'm preaching to the choir on this forum since the innkeepers here all clearly care way more about their businesses and are much savvier with the internet and marketing, but Joey's problem is the same problem your average consumer has.
The experience of finding and booking a B&B leaves a lot to be desired when compared to other types of lodging. Sure - there are fantastic properties and websites out there, but they so often get tangled up with the rest.
I still remember so vividly giving a presentation at a B&B in Napa to almost 20 innkeepers. I stayed at the B&B for a couple days - but almost every innkeeper in the room stayed at the Embassy Suites!!!! Innkeepers!!!! When asked why - "it was too hard to find a B&B, didn't want to have to check availability on every different site, didn't want to wait to hear back from a rez request, etc. etc."
JBanczak said:
That was four years ago now... and it still echos today.
Ummm, take a look at the distance some of those folks traveled, what they were paying for the conference, and the RATES at the Napa B&Bs. Pretty steep. Not everyone can pay that with all the other expenses...I bet the Embassy Suites gave them a sweet deal.
Riki
These properties were all from northern California. I think all within a couple hours drive. It was a free conference.

JBanczak said:
Ummm, take a look at the distance some of those folks traveled, what they were paying for the conference, and the RATES at the Napa B&Bs. Pretty steep. Not everyone can pay that with all the other expenses...I bet the Embassy Suites gave them a sweet deal.
Riki
These properties were all from northern California. I think all within a couple hours drive. It was a free conference.
But that still doesn't address the issues raised. Even if they were only traveling 2 hours, they may not have had budgets to allow them to both attend the conference and stay at their first choice of accommodations. Sounds like the conference was important enough to them to attend, even if that meant staying in a budget hotel.
The issue of checking the online availability of all the B&Bs in the area, to me, sounds a bit on the bogus side. Many folks don't want to admit they can't afford something so they'll come up with something like that.
There are, in fact, some B&Bs in Napa that are surprisingly affordable. Getting those value options in front of the traveling public is something that bedandbreakfast.com could help with - and something that IMHO is needed.
Many B&Bs have spent so much effort creating a luxurious stay - and this is especially true in Napa - that they were caught offguard when folks started looking for value instead.
When you consider the cost of a breakfast, the cost of a wine and cheese social, the cost of parking/valet service at larger properties, B&Bs offer great value.
But the traveling public - including innkeepers - often don't know that.
So, to me, the question isn't why aren't innkeepers themselves not staying at B&Bs every time they travel.
The question is what can the marketing associations - like yours - do to change that?
Offering more options, like boutique hotels, may bring more visitors to your site.
But getting the message out there, loudly and clearly, that B&Bs represent an incredible value...well, to me, that's the most important improvement you could make.

Good Morning from rainy-sunny Hawaii John,
I would love to take a closer look at this topic either on a different thread or in a different venue. I recently tried to start a conversation about the challenges innkeepers face in blending and balancing the distinctive themes that regularly come up. It may have been that it was a little to wonky for this forum or it may have been that my articulation was limited on the subject. It could have been that I specifically challenged folks to limit their reactionary side or that no one wants to come on this forum and have to think a lot. It could have even been that somehow the introductory paragraph got deleted and that it starts right off with the two themes we are always trying to blend.

https://www.innspiring.com/node/4833 What's a B&B in the Inn Misc. section
In any case, I would like to think that folks like you spend endless hours trying to figure this out. I would love to sit down for about 3 days (This is where you chuckle and say- “How about 3 hours if we’re lucky”) with a group of positive thinking innkeepers and industry professionals to try to understand how that’s going.

I would love to take a closer look at this topic either on a different thread or in a different venue. I recently tried to start a conversation about the challenges innkeepers face in blending and balancing the distinctive themes that regularly come up. It may have been that it was a little to wonky for this forum or it may have been that my articulation was limited on the subject. It could have been that I specifically challenged folks to limit their reactionary side or that no one wants to come on this forum and have to think a lot. It could have even been that somehow the introductory paragraph got deleted and that it starts right off with the two themes we are always trying to blend.

In any case, I would like to think that folks like you spend endless hours trying to figure this out. I would love to sit down for about 3 days (This is where you chuckle and say- “How about 3 hours if we’re lucky”) with a group of positive thinking innkeepers and industry professionals to try to understand how that’s going.
I'm confused. I reread the thread you started about melding the 2 divergent points of originality and standardization so a guest 'knows' what they are getting at a B&B whether they are in MA or PA. What was the intent of that rather rambling thread? It sounds like there needs to be (for the sake of the guest) a 'standard' model of what they can expect at a B&B. But, OTOH we need to maintain the niche market we have all developed. Perhaps what is needed is a standardized B&B website. Every B&B uses the same template and just fills in the appropriate photos and text and no guest ever needs to worry again about where to find exactly what they want on any B&B website. No need to keep retraining themselves.
But then you get to the experience. BTW, every Brand X hotel is not the same across the country as anyone who has been delighted in Des Moines and underwhelmed in Ukiah can tell you. There may be a manual and a top down management view of what every hotel in the chain looks like and how the guest will be treated but it just is not the case. It really and truly depends on the local mgmt team what your experience is like.
Thus it is with the B&B experience. We could argue until the cows come home on what is a B&B, but the execution of said 'list' comes down to an individual mgmt team. And we'll never agree on what constitutes the 'right' B&B experience. Or the 'correct' B&B website template.
For the same reason that Guest A will never stay at the Marriott and Guest B wouldn't go anywhere else, each B&B offers a unique experience under a particular umbrella of 'small, intimate lodging experience' and it either meets the guest's expectations or it doesn't. The problem arises when the guest says, 'ALL B&B's are like the one I just stayed at. I'll never go to one again.' They may or may not say that about a hotel brand, but that hotel brand may never get another shot at that guest. (Me? I don't stay at the Holiday Inn anymore even tho it was one in NY that ticked me off.)
It has been suggested that B&B's band together to form a nationwide group that would offer discounts like hotels do. Stay 3 nights, get a 4th night to 'take with you' to use elsewhere. How many free nights would you give up to this program? Where is the value add for any of us in this program?
But this is how some see the 'B&B branding' working out. B&B's becoming a 'chain' across the country.

knkbnb said:

I think 3 days at a minimum as long as it is in Hawaii! Seriously though - I think that is a great idea.

Not one of my better posts. I guess the intent was to have a broader discussion without folks feeling they have to agree or disagree or take a position. I was hoping that rather than have my post taken as opinion, perhaps it could get us thinking about how we can bring these things together or even if it makes sense to do it. That was why I suggested folks pose their own questions rather than answers. Oh well, maybe next time.

knkbnb said:

I think 3 days at a minimum as long as it is in Hawaii! Seriously though - I think that is a great idea.
An industry charette at the Kalaekilohana, last stop for luxury before Tahiti!
lightbulb.gif

knkbnb said:

lightbulb.gif

knkbnb said:
lightbulb.gif
We do the conference at Kalaekilohana, then for good measure we go to Tahiti to help launch the first Tahitian B&B association? I'm liking the sound of this!

JBanczak said:
Riki
But that still doesn't address the issues raised. Even if they were only traveling 2 hours, they may not have had budgets to allow them to both attend the conference and stay at their first choice of accommodations. Sounds like the conference was important enough to them to attend, even if that meant staying in a budget hotel.
The issue of checking the online availability of all the B&Bs in the area, to me, sounds a bit on the bogus side. Many folks don't want to admit they can't afford something so they'll come up with something like that.
There are, in fact, some B&Bs in Napa that are surprisingly affordable. Getting those value options in front of the traveling public is something that bedandbreakfast.com could help with - and something that IMHO is needed.
Many B&Bs have spent so much effort creating a luxurious stay - and this is especially true in Napa - that they were caught offguard when folks started looking for value instead.
When you consider the cost of a breakfast, the cost of a wine and cheese social, the cost of parking/valet service at larger properties, B&Bs offer great value.
So, to me, the question isn't why aren't innkeepers themselves not staying at B&Bs every time they travel.
The question is what can the marketing associations - like yours - do to change that?
Offering more options, like boutique hotels, may bring more visitors to your site.
But getting the message out there, loudly and clearly, that B&Bs represent an incredible value...well, to me, that's the most important improvement you could make.
Innkeeper To Go said:
To be clear, the conference was free... but we also specifically asked the innkeepers why they were not staying at a B&B. Price didn't come up - they specifically mentioned that it was hard to figure out which one they wanted, they didn't have time to wait for rez requests to be answered, etc.
I agree with your point on getting the message out there to the traveling public - but I do think it is a very interesting point that innkeepers were not staying at inns. It speaks volumes if people intimately familiar with the industry are compelled to stay at the very places they compete against.

JBanczak said:
Riki
That is exactly what I am talking about when I say the gurus kept ratcheting up the gotta haves and the poor schmuck who fell for it often times ended up holding the bag.
A man building a house that eventually he wants to be a B & B asked me about garden tubs and Jacuzzis thinking he had to have them. My answer was that in my opinion I would not waste the money. He is in a rural area - rustic. I truly do not believe Jacussis would make a difference in bookings for him. We need to do what we do best - in one word HOSPITALITY!!!

JBanczak said:
Riki
Innkeeper To Go said:
To be clear, the conference was free... but we also specifically asked the innkeepers why they were not staying at a B&B. Price didn't come up - they specifically mentioned that it was hard to figure out which one they wanted, they didn't have time to wait for rez requests to be answered, etc.
I agree with your point on getting the message out there to the traveling public - but I do think it is a very interesting point that innkeepers were not staying at inns. It speaks volumes if people intimately familiar with the industry are compelled to stay at the very places they compete against.
Whether or not the conference was free, there was a cost to the innkeepers who attended.
With all due respect, unlike you, they had to reach into their own pockets to pay their way there. They had 4 hours of driving time, lodging, and meals.
But they also had expenses piling up back home. They either shuttered up and lost income or increased staffing. They hired someone like me to innsit or existing staff filled in hours.
Someone had to pick up the slack somewhere for them to be there. And that costs money.
No matter how you cut it, even free conferences cost innkeepers. And they have to cut back where they can to afford it.
I'm not justifying staying at a Hampton Inn or anyplace similar. Personally, I hate most chains and even when I stop at a roadside motel on a roadtrip, I try to find a mom and pop operation. Infinitely more interesting, every time.
But B&Bs innkeepers traveling to Napa from the rest of Northern California are hardly competing with the Hampton Inn.
They're competing with the B&Bs in Napa. The guests who visit Napa either come from the Bay area or are visiting with a Bay area start-off. They pick Napa or they pick Mendocino or they pick Carmel. Sometimes they'll do a grand tour - but more often than not, they're picking 1 or 2 outer areas to visit.
So that competition may be part of the reason.
But price is the least likely that they'd admit face-to-face, with all of their competitors and friends sitting right there.
But it's hard to imagine that the cost didn't enter into it.
Otherwise, they'd stay at a nicer hotel - if a hotel was their first choice.

JBanczak said:
Riki
That is exactly what I am talking about when I say the gurus kept ratcheting up the gotta haves and the poor schmuck who fell for it often times ended up holding the bag.
A man building a house that eventually he wants to be a B & B asked me about garden tubs and Jacuzzis thinking he had to have them. My answer was that in my opinion I would not waste the money. He is in a rural area - rustic. I truly do not believe Jacussis would make a difference in bookings for him. We need to do what we do best - in one word HOSPITALITY!!!
I could not agree with you more.
I think more B&Bs were put out of business by the thread-count wars and the amenities wars than any other reason.
There's no substituting plain old fashioned gracious hospitality.
It will beat a jacuzzi every time.

JBanczak said:
Riki
I think more B&Bs were put out of business by the thread-count wars and the amenities wars than any other reason.
Innkeeper To Go said:
If only we could get some guests to view it that way. Altho, maybe the guests who insist on whatever it is we don't offer are the ones who would be happier elsewhere. And I'm talking odd things to expect in a B&B, like an elevator or 2 room suites (which I know some have).

JBanczak said:
Riki
Innkeeper To Go said:
If only we could get some guests to view it that way. Altho, maybe the guests who insist on whatever it is we don't offer are the ones who would be happier elsewhere. And I'm talking odd things to expect in a B&B, like an elevator or 2 room suites (which I know some have).
Everyone is different. And, sure enough, whatever you do there will always be some guests who want something different.
But for the guests who return again and again, it's the warmth and hospitality of the innkeeper that's bringing them back, most of the time.

JBanczak said:
Riki
Innkeeper To Go said:
Everyone is different. And, sure enough, whatever you do there will always be some guests who want something different.
But for the guests who return again and again, it's the warmth and hospitality of the innkeeper that's bringing them back, most of the time.
Given the comp around here, I'd say that's true. We do get our fair share of repeats and they could go anywhere.

JBanczak said:
Riki
Innkeeper To Go said:
JBanczak said:
I am agreeing with John, which is the whole point of this thread people! I AM NOT GOING TO A CONFERENCE I am just going out of town to visit a friend and thought about an overnight stop on the way back to break up the drive time. Looking for a B&B was frustrating and put me off of most of them. If I have to email or call to book a room - then forget it!!! Show me availability and let me choose and be done with it.
The point of this thread is the same as always, B&B's in the dark ages with internet presence. They need to get a decent website, they need to do it NOW, they are way behind the times NOW. The internet has been around a long time and they need to get with the program and have a professional presence on line. There really is no debate, it is their own pocket books they are effecting here, as stated - I did not book at any of them.
Absence of proof is not proof of absence.
I am here to say "They did not get my booking" some had very prohibitive cancellation policies, not sure if I added that to the list. I am booking ONE NIGHT MIDWEEK FOR GOODNESS SAKE, don't expect my left arm and lung to book a room. Present the rooms, with the rates, with the polices and let me book online.
Kill the dancing and flashing gifs and small fuzzy images and GIANT FONTS IN PURPLE.

JBanczak said:
Riki
Innkeeper To Go said:

In our area, the personality of the innkeepers will beat a jacuzzi for repeats.
It will not book the first timers over a jacuzzi, ever.
RIki

JBanczak said:
Riki
Innkeeper To Go said:
JBanczak said:
I am agreeing with John, which is the whole point of this thread people! I AM NOT GOING TO A CONFERENCE I am just going out of town to visit a friend and thought about an overnight stop on the way back to break up the drive time. Looking for a B&B was frustrating and put me off of most of them. If I have to email or call to book a room - then forget it!!! Show me availability and let me choose and be done with it.
The point of this thread is the same as always, B&B's in the dark ages with internet presence. They need to get a decent website, they need to do it NOW, they are way behind the times NOW. The internet has been around a long time and they need to get with the program and have a professional presence on line. There really is no debate, it is their own pocket books they are effecting here, as stated - I did not book at any of them.
I am here to say "They did not get my booking" some had very prohibitive cancellation policies, not sure if I added that to the list. I am booking ONE NIGHT MIDWEEK FOR GOODNESS SAKE, don't expect my left arm and lung to book a room. Present the rooms, with the rates, with the polices and let me book online.
Kill the dancing and flashing gifs and small fuzzy images and GIANT FONTS IN PURPLE.
For my getaway, I found much the same problem, and this in a HIGH tourist area. I got pretty much all the way to the point of booking (ie- finally finding the calendar) just to find that almost every place had closed 2 weeks ago. What's wrong with putting that right on the homepage? 'Thanks for a great season, see you in May!'
And the number of places that wanted me to request a rez was beyond belief. I don't mind calling to make my rez, but don't keep me in suspense wondering if I'm 'good enough' to make the cut. Or make me ask what the prices are because I won't call.
If you have a calendar, don't bury it. If you have a closed season, mention it prominently. And, all your fault Joey, I now want big room pix.
wink_smile.gif

I'll put up with a lot as far as the website goes, but don't make me search for stuff because I have no patience. And don't dead end me on a page. Give me back links.

JBanczak said:
Riki
Innkeeper To Go said:
JBanczak said:
For my getaway, I found much the same problem, and this in a HIGH tourist area. I got pretty much all the way to the point of booking (ie- finally finding the calendar) just to find that almost every place had closed 2 weeks ago. What's wrong with putting that right on the homepage? 'Thanks for a great season, see you in May!'
And the number of places that wanted me to request a rez was beyond belief. I don't mind calling to make my rez, but don't keep me in suspense wondering if I'm 'good enough' to make the cut. Or make me ask what the prices are because I won't call.
If you have a calendar, don't bury it. If you have a closed season, mention it prominently. And, all your fault Joey, I now want big room pix.
wink_smile.gif

I'll put up with a lot as far as the website goes, but don't make me search for stuff because I have no patience. And don't dead end me on a page. Give me back links.
I have every hyperlink populate a new window (no matter what it leads to) on our website because I am the same way, open a page, close it and boom website is completely gone. I may have arrived at this website vicariously, so there is no way to retrace my steps. Also having the nav bar on the top and bottom of every page helps.
I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I would like to see your personality on your website. Just getaway from the "soccer club clip art" please.
I apologize that I bring this up all too often on the forum, John B was mentioning that we innkeepers do not subscribe to our own medicine when we stay at hotels, so I really do try to stay at B&B's and non forum member B&B's so I can see how the "other half" operate. But each and every time I come to this same conclusion, so I bring it up for discussion again.

Back