Planning for Obesity?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
As we plan for guest room renovations, I am thinking so many people today are large, and getting larger, I need to check out extra strong beds and larger sturdy chairs. Patio chairs rated for more than 250 lbs..... Larger tubs and showers? What accomodations do you make or would you make if you had it to do over? How do you deal with damage due to weight?

Good luck.
Tha largest person will gravitate to the smallest oldest chair in our place, it will creak as they sit in it, and yet there is a sofa right there to sit on. Mother murphy's law of innkeeping.

If I had it to do over, definitely larger showers. Sturdy chairs and beds are a must. We bought new chairs this year and most are rated for 225 lbs. The original dining room furniture is solid oak but every year we still have to go thru and mend the cross pieces. Finally, we just nailed all the crosspieces in place as they kept popping out when a heavy person sat down.
All of our beds have new frames. We replaced the older ones when we got new mattresses.
Go for larger towels! We stayed at a place that also provided a sturdy wooden chair in the bathroom because so many guests needed to sit down to bathe. They couldn't get in the tub even.
We changed all of the toilet seats from plastic to painted wood because they were getting warped.
I'm not sure how I would handle damage done due to weight. I guess you have to treat it the same way you would treat any kind of damage.

My "shake-down cruise" was a "wide load" who managed to spread the boards holding the slats and collapsed the mattress & box spring. So DH used wire and toggle bolts to ensure there would be no repeats. We had 4 substantial adults in that bed watching movies and eating popcorn and had one couple who if they were less than 750 lbs between them I am the Queen Mum - and the bed held. NO SLATS.
I also when creating/renovating my bathrooms installed large - 48 inch in one and 60 inch in the other. I did not want to have to cri sco a large load out of a shower stall.
Antiques may be pretty, but they do not belong where John Q Public wll be. He does not know from delicate nor does he care. Being a wide load myself, I look at things with the "will it hold me" eye as I am one who, if it CAN break, if I touch it, it WILL break.
Rather than chairs with arms, I am going with short benches - shake-down cruise came back years later and sat on one end of a medium-size bench flipping the bench and was caught by one of the posts on the now "wired" bed so she did not hit the floor BUT that post is now pulled out from the footboard by about 1/8 inch - the wires held! I have a large rocking chair in the reading nook of one room - and I tested it to see if my ample portions fit before I bought it.
One queen bed is higher off the floor than the others - I have king-size blankets and comforter on it so there is no "battle of the covers". DH & I have that problem - going over bodies limits how much one balnket can cover - and he is scrawny! I will be replacing the newest bed frame as soon as I can - it is too low - so I can use larger blankets.
Bath sheets for towels. A so-called bath towel does not begin to do the job.

My "shake-down cruise" was a "wide load" who managed to spread the boards holding the slats and collapsed the mattress & box spring. So DH used wire and toggle bolts to ensure there would be no repeats. We had 4 substantial adults in that bed watching movies and eating popcorn and had one couple who if they were less than 750 lbs between them I am the Queen Mum - and the bed held. NO SLATS.
I also when creating/renovating my bathrooms installed large - 48 inch in one and 60 inch in the other. I did not want to have to cri sco a large load out of a shower stall.
Antiques may be pretty, but they do not belong where John Q Public wll be. He does not know from delicate nor does he care. Being a wide load myself, I look at things with the "will it hold me" eye as I am one who, if it CAN break, if I touch it, it WILL break.
Rather than chairs with arms, I am going with short benches - shake-down cruise came back years later and sat on one end of a medium-size bench flipping the bench and was caught by one of the posts on the now "wired" bed so she did not hit the floor BUT that post is now pulled out from the footboard by about 1/8 inch - the wires held! I have a large rocking chair in the reading nook of one room - and I tested it to see if my ample portions fit before I bought it.
One queen bed is higher off the floor than the others - I have king-size blankets and comforter on it so there is no "battle of the covers". DH & I have that problem - going over bodies limits how much one balnket can cover - and he is scrawny! I will be replacing the newest bed frame as soon as I can - it is too low - so I can use larger blankets.
Bath sheets for towels. A so-called bath towel does not begin to do the job..
Thanks for the info. I have a large friend who chooses chairs with arms to help her get up. Her chair of choice is an antique, but sturdy. Some return guests last year brought their own patio chairs, are antique metal ones were not wide enough for them. Made me nervous about their bed, but no problems. Got me thinking tho..

If I had it to do over, definitely larger showers. Sturdy chairs and beds are a must. We bought new chairs this year and most are rated for 225 lbs. The original dining room furniture is solid oak but every year we still have to go thru and mend the cross pieces. Finally, we just nailed all the crosspieces in place as they kept popping out when a heavy person sat down.
All of our beds have new frames. We replaced the older ones when we got new mattresses.
Go for larger towels! We stayed at a place that also provided a sturdy wooden chair in the bathroom because so many guests needed to sit down to bathe. They couldn't get in the tub even.
We changed all of the toilet seats from plastic to painted wood because they were getting warped.
I'm not sure how I would handle damage done due to weight. I guess you have to treat it the same way you would treat any kind of damage..
I hadn't thought of toilet seats! They were on the list to repalce this year too! As for toilets, do you have the oval or the old round? I am thinking we may upgrade to taller oval ones.

Bath sheets for towels. A so-called bath towel does not begin to do the job..
Thanks for the info. I have a large friend who chooses chairs with arms to help her get up. Her chair of choice is an antique, but sturdy. Some return guests last year brought their own patio chairs, are antique metal ones were not wide enough for them. Made me nervous about their bed, but no problems. Got me thinking tho..
DH also uses a chair with arms to get up. We got the one he uses many years ago at an anitque store - it is probably circa 1950s - and somehow the cross bar has broken. If he were not so skinny, it would no longer function as is - and he is no longer in shape to fix it. It is at the head of the table where usually only he sits.

I'm not sure how I would handle damage done due to weight. I guess you have to treat it the same way you would treat any kind of damage..
I hadn't thought of toilet seats! They were on the list to repalce this year too! As for toilets, do you have the oval or the old round? I am thinking we may upgrade to taller oval ones.
Ours were added to the building in the 80's so they are the oval shape. I have not seen one of those round ones in eons! Definitely get the taller ones if you're changing out. It's a lot of work, tho, because the piping may need to be relocated and the 'footprint' of the toilet is different so see if you can get new ones that cover the old footprint.
I did get most of the new chairs with arms. One set is a 'modified' wing, but no arms. Finding chairs that will fit in the room often precludes getting chairs that are extra wide or even have arms.

If replacing toilets (or adding bathrooms) I would advise handicap height for all of them. I am going to start replacing toilet seats with wood also (shake-down also broke a toilet seat - I had forgotten that). Our guests appreiciate the height. My knees cry every time I find myself with toilets that were stolen from a pre-school! When I was asked if all was OK with a Conference by the GM of the facility, I asked him what pre-school they had robbed. He told me he had not thought about that - and 3 years later told me they had replaced them and were pleased with the result. Old knees prefer the extra height. And if you have a friend who is disabled, ask them about placement of the grab bars. Contractors do not know (I thought they would) and too late, DH surveyed the result and said they were not placed well.

Elongated bowls.
They are a must for a variety of reasons.
I mean if you are building from scratch there are a ton of things to consider for people of all shapes and sizes and preferences. Like K said, beds higher up, toilets higher up, heck even the toilet roll holder needs consideration, larger showers, I would never "install a stall" in the first place. You can use the curved shower curtain rods nwo (we have these in our two rooms with tubs and our daughters tub/shower) so there is more elbow space.)
But just remember because it is rated at 250lbs doesn't mean it holds that. Warranty - if it breaks ship it back to us for a replacement. Will you do that? No. Same goes for water tested watches like citizen ecodrive dive watches that cost an arm and leg and have a great warranty (yeah right), DH has one we have shipped insured overnight three times, they send it back months later and say all fixed up as they have to do pressure testing,e tc it is a dive watch. He goes in the shower witt it and it fogs up. They tell him "You must have the bezel out" uh no, duh, not that stupid. But they will keep telling him that. He reached into our pond to get the filter box and it is fogged up with water.

Elongated bowls.
I mean if you are building from scratch there are a ton of things to consider for people of all shapes and sizes and preferences. Like K said, beds higher up, toilets higher up, heck even the toilet roll holder needs consideration, larger showers, I would never "install a stall" in the first place. You can use the curved shower curtain rods nwo (we have these in our two rooms with tubs and our daughters tub/shower) so there is more elbow space.)
But just remember because it is rated at 250lbs doesn't mean it holds that. Warranty - if it breaks ship it back to us for a replacement. Will you do that? No. Same goes for water tested watches like citizen ecodrive dive watches that cost an arm and leg and have a great warranty (yeah right), DH has one we have shipped insured overnight three times, they send it back months later and say all fixed up as they have to do pressure testing,e tc it is a dive watch. He goes in the shower witt it and it fogs up. They tell him "You must have the bezel out" uh no, duh, not that stupid. But they will keep telling him that. He reached into our pond to get the filter box and it is fogged up with water..
Cleaning and elbow room were 2 reasons I did not put shower doors up. I have the shower curtain with the vinyl/plastic on the outside and a nylon liner on the inside so the yuckky plastic does not touch the guest. the liners are about $10 each. It is easy to change as I clean the bathroom and they dry very quickly to be ready for the next change. I have plenty of room to clean, nothing to get off track, and no track to get the grunge out of as well as no worry about a guest going through the glass. So far, I have not had a problem with water on the floor either.

Elongated bowls.
But just remember because it is rated at 250lbs doesn't mean it holds that. Warranty - if it breaks ship it back to us for a replacement. Will you do that? No. Same goes for water tested watches like citizen ecodrive dive watches that cost an arm and leg and have a great warranty (yeah right), DH has one we have shipped insured overnight three times, they send it back months later and say all fixed up as they have to do pressure testing,e tc it is a dive watch. He goes in the shower witt it and it fogs up. They tell him "You must have the bezel out" uh no, duh, not that stupid. But they will keep telling him that. He reached into our pond to get the filter box and it is fogged up with water..
Cleaning and elbow room were 2 reasons I did not put shower doors up. I have the shower curtain with the vinyl/plastic on the outside and a nylon liner on the inside so the yuckky plastic does not touch the guest. the liners are about $10 each. It is easy to change as I clean the bathroom and they dry very quickly to be ready for the next change. I have plenty of room to clean, nothing to get off track, and no track to get the grunge out of as well as no worry about a guest going through the glass. So far, I have not had a problem with water on the floor either.
When we bought this inn the largest room had the smallest bathroom, which included a tight shower door in a shower stall. What the heck were they thinking, not only were wide people wanting the only king bed, but tall people the first guest we had 6'6" couldn't even get into the shower stall. I had to keep apologizing, but it had nothing ot do with me. From scratch - things would be different.

I’ve often wondered this myself, but with all of our doorways, including the main entrance, being only 23" wide, and the shower doors being something like 18" to 20" wide; I think that pretty much takes care of that issue for us, while creating a few others that drive me insane at times (such as how to get a new washer/dryer in the crew room, or replacing the hot water heater or other large appliances, etc.).

Elongated bowls.
When we bought this inn the largest room had the smallest bathroom, which included a tight shower door in a shower stall. What the heck were they thinking, not only were wide people wanting the only king bed, but tall people the first guest we had 6'6" couldn't even get into the shower stall. I had to keep apologizing, but it had nothing ot do with me. From scratch - things would be different.
Had not thought of them having a "ceiling" - mine are 2 walls and a floor with seats and a grab bar. No "ceiling" other than the 10 ft ceiling in the room. Other than the usuall ducking to get through a doorway, my brother has no problem anywhere in my house - he is 7'1".

Its why we have two chairs with arms in the lounge in case of older guests who need a bit of extra help getting up.
We also have several shower cubicles in a quarter circle shape ie with two doors which slide back into each side to give a larger doorway. Room 11's is like that but the stall is extra large we have had 9 month pregnant ladies in it no trouble.

We recently replaced two dining chairs at our "farm house" table. The originals were cane bottom and were starting to creak under the strain of larger guests.
What I've noticed, especially after a larger guest has left, is that toilet seats are askew and have to be readjusted and in some instances replaced. I now keep a couple of extra onhand for a quick changeout if needed. The toilets we have are the backflushing kind and we ended up having to shim them in the front to keep heavier guests from pulling them off the wall. My concern is that the towel bar will be used by one of these individuals as a grab bar to get up and I'll be having to do wall repair next.

We recently replaced two dining chairs at our "farm house" table. The originals were cane bottom and were starting to creak under the strain of larger guests.
What I've noticed, especially after a larger guest has left, is that toilet seats are askew and have to be readjusted and in some instances replaced. I now keep a couple of extra onhand for a quick changeout if needed. The toilets we have are the backflushing kind and we ended up having to shim them in the front to keep heavier guests from pulling them off the wall. My concern is that the towel bar will be used by one of these individuals as a grab bar to get up and I'll be having to do wall repair next..
Proud Texan said:
What I've noticed, especially after a larger guest has left, is that toilet seats are askew and have to be readjusted and in some instances replaced.
larger guests and shorter guests (who can't reach the tp) askew our toilet seats, these are the new toilets, the older toilets are like granite. They never move, they rock! ('scuse the pun).

I’ve often wondered this myself, but with all of our doorways, including the main entrance, being only 23" wide, and the shower doors being something like 18" to 20" wide; I think that pretty much takes care of that issue for us, while creating a few others that drive me insane at times (such as how to get a new washer/dryer in the crew room, or replacing the hot water heater or other large appliances, etc.)..
Do you post anything to warn guests of narrow/small quarters? How does one politely say you might be too big to fit?

Elongated bowls.
Funny, but my adult nephew and his wife are short. He said his toes barely touched the floor on the new, but not a handicap tall, toilet! He said he felt like a little kid again. Well....one size does not fit all...

Ours were added to the building in the 80's so they are the oval shape. I have not seen one of those round ones in eons! Definitely get the taller ones if you're changing out. It's a lot of work, tho, because the piping may need to be relocated and the 'footprint' of the toilet is different so see if you can get new ones that cover the old footprint.
I did get most of the new chairs with arms. One set is a 'modified' wing, but no arms. Finding chairs that will fit in the room often precludes getting chairs that are extra wide or even have arms.
A few of the old toilets have hairline cracks in the base, so we will want to replace those. The round ones are kind of funky. Haven't had a problem with them, but they are set in a small space, I will have to measure carefully to see if the new ones will fit the "footprint". Thanks

Back