Planning my first PAII conference! Lets get this party started!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're thinking of going think the owner may put up the $$$? if not we can go and pay ourselves although I got to the website I don't see any pricing other than the hotel.

Well Samster, we just may take you up on that, you are right on my way. I think that this date in January will be great. I will start planning this with DH and get back with you. This would be our 1st B&B convention as they are usually held when we are busy..
Cool, CH! As of now we have no travel plans for January. :)

was just on their site guess they dont have those details yet, but if we do go it will be our firstr PAII conference.

I am serious about going now. I have blocked my avail calendar. :) I need something to plan and get excited about!
I went to PAII website and had to laugh, and feel like boycotting the main hotel listed for THIS REASON RIGHT HERE:
Embassy Suites Hotel Airport / Convention Center [/h3][FONT= 'Trebuchet MS']One complimentary wireless internet connection in guest rooms per day[/FONT][/h3]So if any of you plan to share rooms, that means ONE connection PER ROOM PER DAY. Guess what ya'll there are plenty of B&B's who offer free WIFI ALL DAY TO ALL GUESTS ALL THE TIME in CHARLESTON and perhaps PAII SHOULD BE PROMOTING THOSE WONDERFUL INNS WHO GIVE AND OFFER HOSPITALITY not just to line pockets, like hotels do. One comp connection per DAY ARE THEY FLIPPIN' SERIOUS!!

Here is a list on B&B's in Charleston SC - can't we support B&B's? Fill them up first? This is always a huge irritation for me, the whole SHOP LOCAL mentality need not apply aye? PAII should have a list FIRST AND BLOODY-FOREMOST of B&B's in CHARLESTON. How about MEMBER INNS in the least. I understand they just put the innfo out so people can start their planning...
Calling ALL Charleston B&B's put a special rate up there for Innmates and we will stay with you in January.

Here is a list on B&B's in Charleston SC - can't we support B&B's? Fill them up first? This is always a huge irritation for me, the whole SHOP LOCAL mentality need not apply aye? PAII should have a list FIRST AND BLOODY-FOREMOST of B&B's in CHARLESTON. How about MEMBER INNS in the least. I understand they just put the innfo out so people can start their planning...
Calling ALL Charleston B&B's put a special rate up there for Innmates and we will stay with you in January.
Why would they...they need to fill their quota of room nights at the hotel/conf center for their costs. Isn't Charleston where there are very few on site innkeeepers and isn't there a law about only continental breakfasts???? I seem to remember someone talking about that.

so true Joey......."Shop Local"
I have been a member of our Chamber many years.....sporadicaly went to meetings......like 2.5 years ago I had gone to a meeting.....the topic of doing business with fellow members came up......in the middle of the discussion I stood up and called them all hypocrites.....Told them I had been a member for more than 15 years.........and only 1........yes 1.........member had ever contacted me for an estimate and work. That was before I had joined.......and it was cause of him that I joined.............since joining.....not one of you in this room has asked or called for any kind of an estimate..........and I know for a fact that several of you are using illegal contractors and I point right at a couple of them.
Room went silent.........I sat down..........after what felt like 3-4 minutes of silence..i got up and left..........they lost 30% of their membership the following year

Why would they...they need to fill their quota of room nights at the hotel/conf center for their costs. Isn't Charleston where there are very few on site innkeeepers and isn't there a law about only continental breakfasts???? I seem to remember someone talking about that.
Yes, continental breakfast and most owners are just that, owners, not innkeepers in the 'hand's on' sense. I have a fav place that I like, even tho it's just donuts & bagels in the morning. And no one on site most of the time. And the place I like doesn't even have a website, it's all on bbonline. No calendar, you have to fill out a rez request. The place is packed all the time.
Here's what we find when there are events such as the PAII conference here in our town...NO ONE wants to stay at a B&B because they want to be 'where the action is'. They don't want to have to go out at night but would rather hang out in the hotel lounge or in their 'hallway'.
You'll find the same thing will happen for this. Innkeepers will want to congregate but will not want to GO anywhere to do that.

All very well and true but it is still an INNKEEPING conference. Doing an injustice to not allow the region where the conference is held to promote the inns of that area. I stick by it. I realize all the rest, stay onsite, and all that, I appreciate the conference being in a place where there is something to do, again, spend money add to the tourism $. I think a one time per day connection to the internet is a pile of
potty-mouth.gif
. That is why I said, Innkeepers won't treat you that way!

I have been a member of our Chamber many years.....sporadicaly went to meetings......like 2.5 years ago I had gone to a meeting.....the topic of doing business with fellow members came up......in the middle of the discussion I stood up and called them all hypocrites.....Told them I had been a member for more than 15 years.........and only 1........yes 1.........member had ever contacted me for an estimate and work. That was before I had joined.......and it was cause of him that I joined.............since joining.....not one of you in this room has asked or called for any kind of an estimate..........and I know for a fact that several of you are using illegal contractors and I point right at a couple of them.
Room went silent.........I sat down..........after what felt like 3-4 minutes of silence..i got up and left..........they lost 30% of their membership the following year.
One Day said:
Room went silent.........I sat down..........after what felt like 3-4 minutes of silence..i got up and left..........they lost 30% of their membership the following year
No contacting you for services but dang certain they have your number to solicit for insurance and anything THEY wanted to sell.
Our chamber is going out of business. We are in 4 chambers, and not this one. They have been the worst, and good riddance. We have many other org who do what the chamber is supposed to be doing. The ONLY contact we have had is to sponsor events. That is that. We have to self advocate everything these days, there is no group who does this. Case in point, it is an absolute oxymoron that an Professional Innkeeping Association does not have a list of regional inns to recommend for this conference! ARGGGHHH!!
I am not mad or anything, I find it all very humorous. I feel bad for those this org is supposed to be representing, again, those inns need to contact PAII and suggest a page of SPECIAL RATES to innkeepers or aspirings attending the Jan Conference.

I am serious about going now. I have blocked my avail calendar. :) I need something to plan and get excited about!
I went to PAII website and had to laugh, and feel like boycotting the main hotel listed for THIS REASON RIGHT HERE:
Embassy Suites Hotel Airport / Convention Center [/h3][FONT= 'Trebuchet MS']One complimentary wireless internet connection in guest rooms per day[/FONT][/h3]So if any of you plan to share rooms, that means ONE connection PER ROOM PER DAY. Guess what ya'll there are plenty of B&B's who offer free WIFI ALL DAY TO ALL GUESTS ALL THE TIME in CHARLESTON and perhaps PAII SHOULD BE PROMOTING THOSE WONDERFUL INNS WHO GIVE AND OFFER HOSPITALITY not just to line pockets, like hotels do. One comp connection per DAY ARE THEY FLIPPIN' SERIOUS!!.
Is the conference AT the Embassy Suites?

what was worse..........is that when I joined and for many years in their membership literature they had stated a member to member discount would be apporpriate.
Oh sure....printer that is in our membership.....would not honor the member to member discount.......was more expensive than a non member one town south.
A drafter and inspection company........I had gotten them involved with my church to draft up plans for a parking lot........they did the preliminary stuff free.......the cost to draw up the plans and estimates was not discounted for the church let alone that a chamber member was involved.........our church had gotten a better deal from an outfit in the next county......they provided the preliminary free as well as a discount for the draw up and estimates
Insurance ?...........everything that the member quoted me was at a minimum 20% higher than was I was currently paying.......they could not do any better.
A while back I had contacted one of the member lawyers.......bastard sent me a bill for a 5 minute phone conversation.........and this was a guy that constantly talked about member to member discounts.
As long as it is they receive the discounts.
The big shots in the chamber are the worst offenders
and to this day I notice that the business listings in the chamber is getting smaller.
edit:
I do believe in the shop local idea.........and I do.........first place I go is local.....first place I look for anything is local

OK, I have called to make my rez for Jan. However, I had to leave a message, so I have no idea if anyone GOT my info.

Well, I e-mailed my cousin to ask her son if he would mind a houseguest in January, I am scheduled to go to Germany for a month (courtesy of a cousin who loves there) in May and need to save as much $$ as I can. He is giving me my plane ticket but I need to have admission & meals money (he has a camper for our lodgings as he shows me Europe). Mrs General O told me I need to go to Gamish and to see at least one castle.
We gathered with the doilies at the Homestead. What will be our identifier in Charleston?

Well, I e-mailed my cousin to ask her son if he would mind a houseguest in January, I am scheduled to go to Germany for a month (courtesy of a cousin who loves there) in May and need to save as much $$ as I can. He is giving me my plane ticket but I need to have admission & meals money (he has a camper for our lodgings as he shows me Europe). Mrs General O told me I need to go to Gamish and to see at least one castle.
We gathered with the doilies at the Homestead. What will be our identifier in Charleston?.
gillumhouse said:
We gathered with the doilies at the Homestead. What will be our identifier in Charleston?
Garden gnomes. Big, small, pins or actual garden gnomes. My gnome is antsy to get back on the road.

We gathered with the doilies at the Homestead. What will be our identifier in Charleston?.
gillumhouse said:
Garden gnomes. Big, small, pins or actual garden gnomes. My gnome is antsy to get back on the road.
gillumhouse wrote:
Morticia wrote:
Guess I better start searching.
teeth_smile.gif

I agree that B&Bs should be offered as an option, even though I understand the room quota for the conference. They won't have any trouble meeting the quota though as there are probably not enough B&B rooms to even make a dent in the attendees. People will want to just be able to walk out of their rooms to the meetings.
Our chamber here costs beaucoup bucks to join and they don't promote the B&Bs at all. (Well, now there is only one.) Plus, there's no way that I could ever have gone to any of the meetings to network. Very disappointing support really for most small businesses here....
We just went to a wedding which did not have the reception at any of the local hotels, yet that was all that was on the recommended lodging list that was sent out/posted on their wedding website. Interstate hotels only. :-( My friend of course KNOWS that we used to own a B&B and was actually SURPRISED when I told her that we were staying at one of the local B&Bs. Huh?? Our innkeeper was fantastic and the other wedding guests didn't know what they were missing for just a few dollars more. We didn't have to cook our own waffle in the morning, that's for sure!!

Is there a price for admittance to this yet? I can't seem to find anything other than the date. If we go (the B&B has not called me back, yet) we'll make a vacation out of it.

I understand the frustration some are expressing here with regard to 1.) the complimentary internet connection at the Embassy Suites, and 2.) the fact that we’re not promoting or utilizing the Charleston-area B&Bs as a lodging option.

Let me explain some of the basics of planning a conference for 500-800 people. First, you should know that PAII is known as a “space hog” in the meeting planning business. This means that the amount of space we need for our educational sessions and trade show is A LOT compared to the number of sleeping room nights booked through our event. We have up to 8 or 9 workshops running simultaneously – so we need a lot of classrooms. We need a giant ballroom for general sessions. And we need enough space for 100 10x10 exhibit spaces. That’s a lot of space. The problem is that we have so many couples and people sharing rooms that the relative number of rooms we can commit to in a contract is low. Most large hotels that can accommodate our meeting will give us most of the meeting space for no charge or relatively small charge, if we commit to a certain critical mass of room nights, as well as a pretty large food and beverage minimum. In our case, our F&B minimum is usually $100,000 for the Innkeeping Show. We typically commit to a minimum of 1,300 total room nights spread over 4 or 5 nights.

If we were to promote staying at B&Bs (and there are at least 50 in the Charleston metropolitan area), we would have to reduce the minimum room block in our contract – and it would be a risky guessing game for us, because we have no idea how many attendees would actually stay at B&Bs. If we lowered our room block commitment, we might have to pay more for the meeting space or might be required to raise our F&B minimum. Well, actually, we WOULD have to - there's no question about it. If we agreed to that, we would have to charge higher fees to the attendees and risk having fewer people come due to increased costs.

Most attendees highly prefer staying at the host hotel, because all they have to do is ride the elevator down to the event. The Embassy Suites that is adjacent to the Charleston Area Convention Center is about 12 miles from downtown Charleston – anyone staying at a B&B in Charleston would have to have their own transportation and might have to deal with parking issues in downtown, depending on the B&B and what space they have on the property. (Before anyone gets upset that we’re not actually having the meeting in downtown Charleston, please know that there is no property in the historic area of Charleston that could accommodate a group our size, and we will be bussing everyone downtown one night for a big party at the Charleston Visitor’s Center on Meeting Street – so we will spend some time in the historic area). The rate we negotiated is $119 – far lower than we’ve historically negotiated at conferences. We did this because we wanted to be sure to keep costs as low as possible for attendees. This was a big reason we chose the Charleston Area Convention Center and Embassy Suties – the other modestly-priced cities we looked at east of the Mississippi were $30-60 higher per night. With complimentary internet and breakfast in the morning for $119, we were pretty pleased with this deal.
I’m asking my meeting planner about the “One complimentary wireless internet connection in guest rooms per day.” To me, that is confusing. If there is more than one laptop in a room, it doesn’t make sense to me that only one of them would be able to connect. I’m investigating this, because it seems like a strange policy. That’s one of the minor things we can probably still fix, even though we have a contract with them. We might just need to explain that we have a higher number of folks who share rooms than what they’re used to. I’ll try to update everyone soon.
So, while I appreciate the sentiment to patronize the Charleston-area B&Bs – trust me, I’m the biggest advocate for our industry - it’s just not practical. We do ask local innkeepers every year to offer our attendees special rates for folks who want to come early or stay late. It works out nicely, because our conference always ends on Thursday afternoon, and many of our attendees often stick around for the weekend to explore and enjoy a little extra time away.
We haven’t posted the prices yet, but the rack rate will be $489 per person. But, we will have a big 2-day sale on Aug 30-31 with $100 off for all registrants, and subsequent sales throughout the fall with more discounts, but not as big as $100 off. Mark your calendars now, but we will of course send reminders. The rate will include lunch each day, two receptions and a big Lowcountry feast in downtown Charleston. We’re providing more F&B than ever before.

Back