Plant rootings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
so i was pulling up to where i work and BOOM, the wisteria is starting to bloom on the pergola on the grounds. i am wondering (hoping) i can root a little. i have permission to take some cuttings. i didn't even realize it was there. we had water leakage from the massive rains last month (when i started there) and there were hideous tarps around and they had anchored one of them to the pergola ... didn't see the pretty plants til now!
i've been thinking about wisteria ever since JB posted her pics of the inn-mate visit.
anyone grown some from cuttings? (fingers crossed)

i have to share this.
last spring, i set out window boxes and had planted vinca vine in them that trails down and makes a nice filler in the boxes. i noticed in the fall that it went all the way to the ground and was rooting. so, when the window box died off, i cut the vines a couple inches above ground. today, i see i have all these little volunteer vincas growing on the ground below each window box. so, i'm going to harvest some and plant it in the window boxes. very pleased with that!
i'll post some pictures soon.

i have to share this.
last spring, i set out window boxes and had planted vinca vine in them that trails down and makes a nice filler in the boxes. i noticed in the fall that it went all the way to the ground and was rooting. so, when the window box died off, i cut the vines a couple inches above ground. today, i see i have all these little volunteer vincas growing on the ground below each window box. so, i'm going to harvest some and plant it in the window boxes. very pleased with that!
i'll post some pictures soon..
I've had that happen with vinca, too. I find that the prettiest gardens are the ones that just happen. Here is some information about wisteria; the part about propogating is toward the bottom. It sounds like it should work for you. We can't grow it here. :(

i have to share this.
That vinca will take over under the right circumstances so be sure it's where you want it.
How about forsythia? Can I cut some forsythia and root that?

i have to share this.
That vinca will take over under the right circumstances so be sure it's where you want it.
Yes. Rose of Sharon also.

i have to share this.
Forsythia frequently form "offsets" at their base. If you look under a large bush, you can use a shovel to cut them off. These grow much faster than rooting a cutting.

I love wisteria! I heard that it takes 7 years for a new plant to produce flowers. Is that true?

I love wisteria! I heard that it takes 7 years for a new plant to produce flowers. Is that true?.
It will probably take 2 or 3 years to bloom from a cutting. But it can take longer depending on the variety.
It takes a really long time to bloom if you grow it from seed. Years and years. But rooted cuttings bloom a lot faster.

Glad this came up. We are moving to AR and wanted to take some Oak Leaf Hydrangea, some rose of sharon and a couple other cuttings. Now my question is can we cut it and put it in a plastic bag with water in it or a wet papeer towel will the cutting survive until we get there to root and plant in sand?

Glad this came up. We are moving to AR and wanted to take some Oak Leaf Hydrangea, some rose of sharon and a couple other cuttings. Now my question is can we cut it and put it in a plastic bag with water in it or a wet papeer towel will the cutting survive until we get there to root and plant in sand?.
As long as you don't let it bake in the car, you should be fine. Get some dirt in there to hold the moisture (or some newspapers).

Glad this came up. We are moving to AR and wanted to take some Oak Leaf Hydrangea, some rose of sharon and a couple other cuttings. Now my question is can we cut it and put it in a plastic bag with water in it or a wet papeer towel will the cutting survive until we get there to root and plant in sand?.
When I moved from OH to VA, I took most of my perennials with me. I did leave some behind for the new owner of our house...but I worked too hard on those things to just leave them behind. They all did fine. If you want to take some cuttings...make sure you have some roots on them...beforehand. I am not sure just putting it in a wet plastic bag will do the job....I would at least get it into some potting mix before I left. Don't forget to use some rooting hormone as well before you pot up. That will help too.

thats what i was thinkig and bought some rooting hormone, its just a really long trip and the car will be overfull with the things we are taking to our next Innkeeping assignment, but like you I worked hard on these and would like to plant some at the gorgeous garden at this Inn in AR. I will try that in a small container if possible, I just wanted it to survive the trip and then plant them when I arrive.

thats what i was thinkig and bought some rooting hormone, its just a really long trip and the car will be overfull with the things we are taking to our next Innkeeping assignment, but like you I worked hard on these and would like to plant some at the gorgeous garden at this Inn in AR. I will try that in a small container if possible, I just wanted it to survive the trip and then plant them when I arrive..
I think you are on the right track, but I think the cuttings will travel. Definitely use the rooting hormone. Dip them into it as soon as they are cut. I would water them well for several days in advance of cutting. Wrap in wet paper towels & into plastic bags. Get them potted in a soil mixed with perlite. Tent in plastic until they start to root. Be careful they don't stay too wet in the pots, just moist.
Many commercial nurseries sell and ship unrooted cuttings.

birdwatcher said:
We are moving to AR and wanted to take some Oak Leaf Hydrangea, some rose of sharon and a couple other cuttings.
So very glad to hear you're taking the AR gig. You are going to love it there!

birdwatcher said:
We are moving to AR and wanted to take some Oak Leaf Hydrangea, some rose of sharon and a couple other cuttings.
So very glad to hear you're taking the AR gig. You are going to love it there!
We went for a visit and as you said, its a lovely place with alot of potetial specially our competition.

Wrap cuttings with a wet paper towel.....
place into a plastic bag, only up to the wet towel....do not insert the entire cutting into the bag.
Do not let it get to hot or leave in the sun.....2 - 3 days in this condition should be fine...before potting them.
Wysteria.....as pretty as the flowers and fragrance are......hellish in the garden....Keep it away from any other shrubs, hedges or trees........leaders tend to grab onto them and very much like Ivy, the Wysteria is spreading where it wasn't intended.....also tends to send vines along the ground.
If one has the diligence to take care of a Wysteria properly......yes, they are spectacular.

Wrap cuttings with a wet paper towel.....
place into a plastic bag, only up to the wet towel....do not insert the entire cutting into the bag.
Do not let it get to hot or leave in the sun.....2 - 3 days in this condition should be fine...before potting them.
Wysteria.....as pretty as the flowers and fragrance are......hellish in the garden....Keep it away from any other shrubs, hedges or trees........leaders tend to grab onto them and very much like Ivy, the Wysteria is spreading where it wasn't intended.....also tends to send vines along the ground.
If one has the diligence to take care of a Wysteria properly......yes, they are spectacular..
Quince does the same thing underground. My kids spent an entire day with shovels, axe, hooking a chain to the axel of an old van (I had visions of the axel still attached to the quince while the rest of the van was 10 feet away) to finally remove a quince bush from my yard. I had a crater to fill in! It spread across the yard with the roots to the edge of my meter well and I am still trying to kill it. It is also crawling up the side of my neighbors house - I pulled it off for a couple years but if he doesn't care enough to go after it - oh well (even when DH was in hospital he mowed his yard and stopped at the line and all dead branches from the shared maple tree - on property line - always seem to blow into MY yard... Hmmm).

Back