Plants in the Inn.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I aspire to have live plants in guestrooms. Sadly, many just won't cooperate! I could use some suggestions from you folks. I have a bathroom with a large jacuzzi and would like to replace the peace lilly and spider plants (which have morphed into green renditions of Phyllis Dillars' hair) with something else. The bathroom windows are eastern exposure. Suggestions for something more elegant and less bushy? Thanks!

I have a peace lily on the landing, which I am always forgetting to water in the winter!
All of our rooms have ceiling hooks so I know they used to all have hanging plants. That's not something I want to keep up with.

I have a ficus in the dining room that DH scalps - he says trims - every couple of years that I remember to water when I see dried leaves are ound it or hear them skittering to the floor and a rubber tree that was part of my step-father's funeral flowers in 1990 that gets watered when I hear a leave go thud. Somehow they have survived and thrived. There is also a potted plant of some sort upstairs nd a bamboo plant (from MABB) both for DH with his bypass that have managed to survive. I did have luck with a wandering jew in Illinois. It was given away when we moved because it would not survive traveling in January.

Are you going to hang this or is there a place to put a stand? Ferns like the moisture.

The only place that I could get orchids to bloom again and again was by a jacuzzi tub. Phalaenopsis or Cattleya were the easiest.

The ones I have had luck with only watering once a week at most:
Low light: palms, corn plants
medium light: Pothos, ivy, lucky bamboo
bright light: boston ferns and sword ferns, I've had luck with geraniums and decorative mini-succulent gardens too.
lrg_DSC00026.JPG
lrg_DSC00027.JPG

Sorry about the quality, that big fern is "Sigmund" as in the sea monster, it's fronds are about as long as I am tall! And my little succulents, they are no fuss...

silk!
seriously, i was just someplace and went over to touch the lovely plants and they were (ahem) fake.

The ones I have had luck with only watering once a week at most:
Low light: palms, corn plants
medium light: Pothos, ivy, lucky bamboo
bright light: boston ferns and sword ferns, I've had luck with geraniums and decorative mini-succulent gardens too.
lrg_DSC00026.JPG
lrg_DSC00027.JPG

Sorry about the quality, that big fern is "Sigmund" as in the sea monster, it's fronds are about as long as I am tall! And my little succulents, they are no fuss....
Sigmund is gorgeous!

Back