Plate Size and Presentation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the episode of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares where he goes to the Fenwick Arms to help a man with a plate addiction. The old boy has 30 different styles of plates in his restaurant, and uses a different size/shape of plate for every different item on his menu.
Ramsay makes him sell his stacks of square plates on eBay, saying a proper pub should not be serving food on square plates. Then later Ramsay finds that the pub owner has a bunch of square plates stashed in the crawl space or something. Just couldn't bring himself to sell them all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XRNwKpZV7A.
Arkansawyer said:
I love the episode of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares where he goes to the Fenwick Arms to help a man with a plate addiction. The old boy has 30 different styles of plates in his restaurant, and uses a different size/shape of plate for every different item on his menu.
Ramsay makes him sell his stacks of square plates on eBay, saying a proper pub should not be serving food on square plates. Then later Ramsay finds that the pub owner has a bunch of square plates stashed in the crawl space or something. Just couldn't bring himself to sell them all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XRNwKpZV7A
I remember this episode. The man was plate crazy. Ramsay kept on finding more and more dishes. And I think he made them smash some too.

Plate presentation cannot be overstated! The fact is that before we ever taste the food on the plate we look at it. If the presentation is pleasing we are happy to proceed if it is not we proceed with caution, however if the food is beautifully presented we can’t wait to try it. The other impact of a beautifully presented plate is that it lets the diner know that someone in the kitchen really cares about the guests in dining room. I think that it is important not to crowd the plate; it is actually beneficial to not have the entire plate covered in food. Plate presentation does not have to be complicated. Presenting plates on should consider colors, textures, and flavors. Combinations of these components are very important it is vital that the flavors work together. Almost all plates require at least a touch of brilliant color; perhaps something a simple as some nicely cut chives or sprig of mint. Texture is very important to a dish to create interest, a crispy element can add greatly to a simple dish such as adding a panko crust to the goat cheese on a salad and or caramelized pecans. Garnishes don’t have to be costly at all. I keep a large variety herb garden right out side the kitchen door, and in the winter I replant them into a herb box that sits on the picture window sill in the kitchen. I take clipping from them daily. As far a plate selection I personally prefer white only but I do like some variety..
Lovely inn in Virginia.
welcome.gif
Dayn.
There is an error page here when you click on View our policies (fyi)
PS You had me at "panko crust to the goat cheese on a salad" I tweeted yesterday "Why am I so in love with goat cheese..."

PS I would love to visit every inn on this forum and check out your settings and how you plate, that would be a road trip and a half! I would love it!
I just read the responses, I have square plates I use as well, really like the squares. (Squares are for salad on top of the rounds, just for clarification) or dessert. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
PS I would love to visit every inn on this forum and check out your settings and how you plate, that would be a road trip and a half! I would love it!
I just read the responses, I have square plates I use as well, really like the squares. (Squares are for salad on top of the rounds, just for clarification) or dessert. :)

Back