Platform beds ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The next suite I open will be an asian influence. The bed will be a platform bed. My DH has told me he will make it for me. The large bedroom is large enough to hold a king bed, so am looking forward to doing it. But have to redo bathroom before I can open that. Don't think it will be this year.
Also our town is looking at 4-5 more hotels being built down town. Other hotels say they don't want them because it isn't increasing in guests, so they would only take existing numbers and spread them out among more hotels.
Actually, this year I was busier than last. But am going into winter when everything stops. I think a student is coming in from another state and plans to take a suite for a semester.

I grew up in Switzerland and we had the beds with the slats and the hard foam mattress that did not require the box springs. I always liked those better than box springs and mattresses. So I think a platform bed with the temporpedic (sp?) mattress would work. I want to get one of those for our next personal bed.
Riki

The only issue with a platform bed is the height. Some older guest have a hard time getting out of them and if you use a Temperpedic mattress, it will be even more difficult. A latex mattress will work better. I would try sleeping on one for several night before you commit to buying or building one. Our 32 year old son has one and loves it but I have a hard time making it with I visit him (I know - why am I making his bed?). It is hard on my back to lean over that far. The good thing about platforms is that they look great with just a bottom sheet and a duvet with cover that can be laundered very day. If you get one with slats, they have a tendency to move when you make the bed. Look for the ones that are attached to each other with bindings like they do in Europe or use a bed board for support. You also need to look for a frame the holds the mattress in place. Some are so flat that the mattress moves around and that is not very safe for your "active" guest. Just food for thought.

I grew up in Switzerland and we had the beds with the slats and the hard foam mattress that did not require the box springs. I always liked those better than box springs and mattresses. So I think a platform bed with the temporpedic (sp?) mattress would work. I want to get one of those for our next personal bed.
Riki.
Same here. No I didn't grow up in Switzerland, I grew up in Germany and I have to say, the beds there are much more comfortable with those slats and without the box springs.

The only issue with a platform bed is the height. Some older guest have a hard time getting out of them and if you use a Temperpedic mattress, it will be even more difficult. A latex mattress will work better. I would try sleeping on one for several night before you commit to buying or building one. Our 32 year old son has one and loves it but I have a hard time making it with I visit him (I know - why am I making his bed?). It is hard on my back to lean over that far. The good thing about platforms is that they look great with just a bottom sheet and a duvet with cover that can be laundered very day. If you get one with slats, they have a tendency to move when you make the bed. Look for the ones that are attached to each other with bindings like they do in Europe or use a bed board for support. You also need to look for a frame the holds the mattress in place. Some are so flat that the mattress moves around and that is not very safe for your "active" guest. Just food for thought..
kattrin said:
The only issue with a platform bed is the height. Some older guest have a hard time getting out of them and if you use a Temperpedic mattress, it will be even more difficult. A latex mattress will work better. I would try sleeping on one for several night before you commit to buying or building one. Our 32 year old son has one and loves it but I have a hard time making it with I visit him (I know - why am I making his bed?). It is hard on my back to lean over that far. The good thing about platforms is that they look great with just a bottom sheet and a duvet with cover that can be laundered very day. If you get one with slats, they have a tendency to move when you make the bed. Look for the ones that are attached to each other with bindings like they do in Europe or use a bed board for support. You also need to look for a frame the holds the mattress in place. Some are so flat that the mattress moves around and that is not very safe for your "active" guest. Just food for thought.
Most platform beds I've looked at are built lower and are easy to get in and out of. I would just make sure you don't have something that the mattress sits in but have it sit on top so that it's easy to make.
Sorry, I don't recall the slats moving when I made my bed. My parents had a great one in teak thtat I inherited about 15 years ago and the slats did not move on that one either.
RIki

We slept in them while in Spain...I found them hard! - Guess it depend on how 'firm' you like your bed. The frame had a little indention for the mattress to fit in, not deep, just enough to keep the mattress from moving off the frame. The beds were not very high off the floor.
We have a daybed that has slats and we placed a piece of plywood over the slats for a more solid support. Our matress has a memoryfoam topper to provide that little added comfort to the firmness the wood creates.
Two of my rooms have raised platform beds but not the boxy style you are (I think) speaking of. Ours are antique raised beds and we do have a full foundation under the mattress on these. They do sit a little higher but even with my short stature I am able to get in the bed with no problems.

We slept in them while in Spain...I found them hard! - Guess it depend on how 'firm' you like your bed. The frame had a little indention for the mattress to fit in, not deep, just enough to keep the mattress from moving off the frame. The beds were not very high off the floor.
We have a daybed that has slats and we placed a piece of plywood over the slats for a more solid support. Our matress has a memoryfoam topper to provide that little added comfort to the firmness the wood creates.
Two of my rooms have raised platform beds but not the boxy style you are (I think) speaking of. Ours are antique raised beds and we do have a full foundation under the mattress on these. They do sit a little higher but even with my short stature I am able to get in the bed with no problems..
I think firmness really only depends on the firmness of the mattress itself.

Back