Please check your spelling

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
I just went searching for something and came upon management responses to negative reviews for a particular place. The responses were well thought out and well written ... but had glaring spelling errors. I don't know if you can edit a post on TA once it's there or not? Better to use some kind of spell check and then ask someone else to read the response before posting in case a word has different meanings and spellings and is not picked up ... I thought it was a shame. Especially since those reviews are so visable and carry so much weight with many potential guests.

Yup, once it's out there, it's out there and spelling errors make the owner look like an idiot. Especially multiple, glaring errors. It's either the owner or the owner didn't care enough to assign the task to someone literate. No matter what, it does not look good for the property.

I try to paste most of my posts into MS word for a to spell check the correspondence. It keeps me out of trouble ( at least for spelling) most of the time.
Bill

Very - visible - I always thought I should get a job in editing - I hate spelling errors! It was really the only subject I was good at in school - english and spelling! If people would just read what they typed at least once they might catch their own errors. And the word "definitely" is the most misspelled word I think!!! Definitely no "a" in this word.

Very - visible - I always thought I should get a job in editing - I hate spelling errors! It was really the only subject I was good at in school - english and spelling! If people would just read what they typed at least once they might catch their own errors. And the word "definitely" is the most misspelled word I think!!! Definitely no "a" in this word..
teh
adn

Thank god for Firefox's built in spellchecker.

My spelling is constantly improving.
embaressed_smile.gif

i had a job as a proofreader a few years ago (yes me, queen of all lower case letters) ... it made mistakes all the more noticeable to me during that time. i learned that our brains sometimes correct mistakes that we see ... adn becomes and ... and we let it pass. not always, not everyone ... fascinating stuff.
the trouble with spell check is that to, two and too are all valid spellings, but which one is the correct one for your sentence?

i had a job as a proofreader a few years ago (yes me, queen of all lower case letters) ... it made mistakes all the more noticeable to me during that time. i learned that our brains sometimes correct mistakes that we see ... adn becomes and ... and we let it pass. not always, not everyone ... fascinating stuff.
the trouble with spell check is that to, two and too are all valid spellings, but which one is the correct one for your sentence?.
seashanty said:
the trouble with spell check is that to, two and too are all valid spellings, but which one is the correct one for your sentence?
The one that drives me crazy is it's versus its. I stopped advertising in a regional rag because they just couldn't seem to get that right on our local ad pages.
My mother was an English teacher and I used to help her correct papers for senior high English. Now I sometimes see papers from the local University students and I'm horrified by the spelling and grammar.

the trouble with spell check is that to, two and too are all valid spellings, but which one is the correct one for your sentence?.
seashanty said:
The one that drives me crazy is it's versus its. I stopped advertising in a regional rag because they just couldn't seem to get that right on our local ad pages.
My mother was an English teacher and I used to help her correct papers for senior high English. Now I sometimes see papers from the local University students and I'm horrified by the spelling and grammar.
haha my mom used to teach high school business classes. every term, there was a particular letter they had to write. and grading the papers, she would write RAT and 'see me' in big red letters on so many papers. and the girls would come to her and say 'why did you write RAT on my paper?' it was to help them learn how to spell congratulations. it was very effective.

seashanty said:
Amen! My daughter just got a job offer because she was the best "letter writer" - that was actually one of the hoops she had to jump through. I'm not sure if it is normal, but in these days I think they can make you do anything to prove you are the best candidate! Funny thing is I always thought she was a lousy speller, but at least she is smart enough to check her work (probably several times!) And I definitely taught her how to spell definitely!!!! The rest her teachers taught her!

seashanty said:
haha my mom used to teach high school business classes. every term, there was a particular letter they had to write. and grading the papers, she would write RAT and 'see me' in big red letters on so many papers. and the girls would come to her and say 'why did you write RAT on my paper?' it was to help them learn how to spell congratulations. it was very effective.
My aunt is only a few years older than I am. When she graduated from high school, I made a graduation card for her. After I was completely done, I showed my mother. Stickler for details, mom told me, 'I know because it's a graDuation you though it was congraDulations, but it's not.'
Never missed that word ever again.
Also lost the only spelling bee I was ever in on the word 'restaurant'. Never spelled that wrong again, either.

My biggest peeve is "there" versus "their" and I'm amazed by how often it's misused. The devil is in the details!
devil_smile.gif

My pet peeve is the mis-use of ' their, they're, there, and a few others that I cannot think of at the moment. Not knowing their place makes people look stupid. The real killer for me is what has only recently been really out there for everyone to read and that is "should of" - it's "should have, could have, would have" not should of, would of, could of. Ok, I'm good now.
Spell check is great but it does nothing for grammatical errors. My blog now has a grammar editor, it has not spoken to me yet

Or people that say "can you borrow that book to me?" NO - I can LEND it TO you, and you can BORROW it FROM me, but I CAN'T borrow it to you! My finding is that it is mainly a Minnesota thing (I love Minnesotans - I married one, but they are really bad at this one!)
Spelling bees....we love to tell the story in our family of my sister who was so flustered at one that when asked to spell the word "of" she said "o" "v" - very embarassed to this day!

Or people that say "can you borrow that book to me?" NO - I can LEND it TO you, and you can BORROW it FROM me, but I CAN'T borrow it to you! My finding is that it is mainly a Minnesota thing (I love Minnesotans - I married one, but they are really bad at this one!)
Spelling bees....we love to tell the story in our family of my sister who was so flustered at one that when asked to spell the word "of" she said "o" "v" - very embarassed to this day!.
You can tell her that there is a reading 'test' that has you count the number of 'F's' in a paragraph. Very few people count the 'f' in 'of' because they hear it rather than see it.

Spelling bees....we love to tell the story in our family of my sister who was so flustered at one that when asked to spell the word "of" she said "o" "v" - very embarassed to this day!.
Hubs has a few goodies that I think are a holdover from translating when he was a kid. He opens and closes the light switches (which is technically correct). He also brooms insteads of sweeps.

Here it seems to be wait on as in - we will wait on you to get here.
Another is - I seen him at the store.
The got that bothers me is - I have got the __________

My husband is a bad speller. He's a Mechanical Engineer and designes multi-million dollar equipment....he spells it like he hears it. One example is cheez. He does know how to spell all his mechanical words though.....

Back