Please explain: "So and so wants you to be a friend..."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I get these requests weekly from the same people to be friends of whatever. If I didn't click the 'like' or 'fan' or 'friend' button in a year, why do they keep asking? Is it just a button they push somewhere?

I think facebook does that itself, sometimes, by looking at mutual friends. I think you can click on something to block that request from appearing again. I did that with one from the former owner of our place - she lives in town and we have some mutual friends so she kept showing up as a recommendation. No more!

muirford's right - some of the messages are exactly that. OTOH, on our fan page, I can - with the simple click of a button - annoy all my FB friends with a request to become a fan, join a group, etc. I try not to do that unless I think it's something of uber-interest to a particular subset of my FB friend. I DEFINITELY don't do that often (like twice ever) with our fan page. I think it would be too annoying to be effective.
The referrals that muirford's referring have actually brought us fans that 1. havn't stayed here; 2., aren't friends or familiy of DH or myself; or 3., aren't friends of other fans. I've looked up the profile pages of some of these folk, and it's the only way I can explain it - they're not in this part of the country, or show publicly any connection to us. Must be something in their browsing that FB took note of.

muirford's right - some of the messages are exactly that. OTOH, on our fan page, I can - with the simple click of a button - annoy all my FB friends with a request to become a fan, join a group, etc. I try not to do that unless I think it's something of uber-interest to a particular subset of my FB friend. I DEFINITELY don't do that often (like twice ever) with our fan page. I think it would be too annoying to be effective.
The referrals that muirford's referring have actually brought us fans that 1. havn't stayed here; 2., aren't friends or familiy of DH or myself; or 3., aren't friends of other fans. I've looked up the profile pages of some of these folk, and it's the only way I can explain it - they're not in this part of the country, or show publicly any connection to us. Must be something in their browsing that FB took note of..
Red Handed Jill said:
Must be something in their browsing that FB took note of.
We have two fans that have the same name as the man the inn was named for. Both from another country.

I think facebook does that itself, sometimes, by looking at mutual friends. I think you can click on something to block that request from appearing again. I did that with one from the former owner of our place - she lives in town and we have some mutual friends so she kept showing up as a recommendation. No more!.
It's really the same 2 people telling me to be a fan of their inns. I try to not 'like' places I wouldn't stay myself as my guests might take it as a referral. Maybe it's dumb, but I don't friend everyone, either for the same reason.

I think facebook does that itself, sometimes, by looking at mutual friends. I think you can click on something to block that request from appearing again. I did that with one from the former owner of our place - she lives in town and we have some mutual friends so she kept showing up as a recommendation. No more!.
It's really the same 2 people telling me to be a fan of their inns. I try to not 'like' places I wouldn't stay myself as my guests might take it as a referral. Maybe it's dumb, but I don't friend everyone, either for the same reason.
So, only looking at this issue from one side, I didn't even think that someone might assume I don't like them or their place because I'm not a fan on FB. Apologies if anyone thinks that. I don't actively go looking for anyone on FB and usually only do the fan thing if I come across someone by accident.

Morticia said:
It's really the same 2 people telling me to be a fan of their inns. I try to not 'like' places I wouldn't stay myself as my guests might take it as a referral.
It's kind of two different things. Only your friends will see that you're a fan of something (and you may even be able to turn that off, I'm not sure). Your fans on your business page won't see that. If you do want to 'recommend' something, add it to your favorite pages box on your business page.
Now your real name will be listed on the fans list of that business - again, your guests would have to a) look at the list (6 random names are shown on each page) and b) connect your real page with your inn.

Back