Please go away door hanger

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they want the fairy dust left behind by the cleaning fairies, silly! you had to ask?
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
they want the fairy dust left behind by the cleaning fairies, silly! you had to ask?
wink_smile.gif
I can see it now, me and old bearded fat man in a tutu fluffing the room. I ain't nobody's fairy!
angry_smile.gif

It's ok, we can't all be Limescale Man. :)

Update: they were pleasantly surprised at the "greasy spoon diner" table this morning! Ambiance. Elegance. Class.
The table was set beautifully and thanks to guests who left behind a beautiful flower arrangement, so even the centerpiece was lovely. Asiatic lillies arranged.
Candles lit, the whole nine yards. I made biscuits and she exclaimed in her sweetest little southern belle voice "Why these are homemade!"
Yes, innkeepers have pride too. We don't like it when people assume we just thrash a meal together. I was up early making this wonderful meal, which I was pleased to know they had the room above the kitchen and knew it! ha ha
Quote for the day from moi:
"care is taken when a meal is planned"
unlike the usual 'we'll just order a pizza' which is why I love it when someone cooks for me. CARE. A special ingredient in any meal, care and planning. The special spice of any guests meal at a B&B.

wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
wink_smile.gif
I can see it now, me and old bearded fat man in a tutu fluffing the room. I ain't nobody's fairy!
angry_smile.gif

OK, Shrek! But some of us girls do get toilet duty...
tounge_smile.gif

guess what! I took pics of the 60th anniv couple with all the guests gathered round! and i took one of the two of them, per her request with her camera by the SIGN, which she was blown away by!

They gave me a watermelon. I went to lift it and it was about 20 lbs! Then I got the town paper and saw this today...
yes, 128 lbs!.
I should let Tipsy tell this one but she hasn't been on for awhile...in the river that separates her town from the other one, they sail pumpkin boats. Actual pumpkins carved out with people sailing in them.
Bree said:
I should let Tipsy tell this one but she hasn't been on for awhile...in the river that separates her town from the other one, they sail pumpkin boats. Actual pumpkins carved out with people sailing in them.
You are kidding me! If this wasn't a blog article screaming to be written by an innkeeper. WOW!
Gotta love they have motors, they couldn't possibly row these giant dudes around? ha ha
Thank you for sharing this, I am amazed. I have never heard of this before. It is totally cool.

They gave me a watermelon. I went to lift it and it was about 20 lbs! Then I got the town paper and saw this today...
yes, 128 lbs!.
Bree said:
You are kidding me! If this wasn't a blog article screaming to be written by an innkeeper. WOW!
Gotta love they have motors, they couldn't possibly row these giant dudes around? ha ha
Thank you for sharing this, I am amazed. I have never heard of this before. It is totally cool.
I can't get there. It's on Columbus Day. We're flat out. I;d rather blog about something I can take pix of.

background - this morning i was in the dining room writing on the board happy 60th anniversary Mr and Mrs so-and-so. Everyone would love to celebrate with them, right?
They do not show for breakfast. At check in they told DH that they get up at 6am and would only eat breakfast at that time.
He told them "I am sorry but we have ten at the table tomorrow we cannot do that early breakfast for you." on a sunday I might add...
They said to him, "Then you can credit the meal to our bill." To which he explained, "breakfast is complimentary, you can either it or not eat it."
they were appauled.
they would wake up the entire place eating breakfast at 6am, with me getting up at 5am to cook it for them!!!! They had no place to be til noon - they are just curmudgeons! PLAIN AND SIMPLE!
So in the kitchen I see them drive away at 730am probably to go to mcdonalds or something. We do a mini high-five and continue with breakfast.
Ahhhhh we all have favorites don't we?!.
We woulda told 'em the same thing only, if they HAD to have brekkie then, we woulda said, "there will be muffins and fruit and coffee out for you," and put it out the night before...
inncogneeto said:
We woulda told 'em the same thing only, if they HAD to have brekkie then, we woulda said, "there will be muffins and fruit and coffee out for you," and put it out the night before...
He did say something to that when he saw them later on. But that was not good enough. They wanted their room rate reduced. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE.
BTW Innkeepers - this is WHY this forum is so great. We back each other up on this stuff, BREAKFAST IS COMPLIMENTARY.
I had dropped $5 a person a few times in year one and two before I got that line STUCK IN MY CRAW for the betterment of this B&B and innkeeper.
Do your policies cover this? Ours do, it says if you can't stay for our seated meal, a to-go breakfast is available, says on th ewebsite what time brekkie is, complimentary and no discounts for missing, blah blah blah...so lame you have to get into all this...
confused_smile.gif

inncogneeto said:
Do your policies cover this? Ours do, it says if you can't stay for our seated meal, a to-go breakfast is available, says on th ewebsite what time brekkie is, complimentary and no discounts for missing, blah blah blah...so lame you have to get into all this...
confused_smile.gif
once again, curmudgeons. Old--non-internet-people. Altho I mailed the confirmation to her, I do not have pages and pages of "if you want breakfast or not...then do this or that." In the room it says "If you cannot make breakfast to please be considerate and let us know in advance."
It states on the confirm, in the room and ON THE TABLE and in person by the innkeeper checking them in: breakfast is served at 9am, then about dietary requirements.
These are not business travelers. See what I mean? It is ALL diff if that were the case. They are just being difficult. Pure and simple, as it demonstrated by my "let's kill the maid" routine in their room.
Thank YOU! This is another good thing to add to the in-room book info. Jeez...where does it end? Although we do a range for breakfast and do mention we'll do a to-go breakfast for an earlier time :) I think I need to re-emphasize the complimentary part in writing in the room books!

background - this morning i was in the dining room writing on the board happy 60th anniversary Mr and Mrs so-and-so. Everyone would love to celebrate with them, right?
They do not show for breakfast. At check in they told DH that they get up at 6am and would only eat breakfast at that time.
He told them "I am sorry but we have ten at the table tomorrow we cannot do that early breakfast for you." on a sunday I might add...
They said to him, "Then you can credit the meal to our bill." To which he explained, "breakfast is complimentary, you can either it or not eat it."
they were appauled.
they would wake up the entire place eating breakfast at 6am, with me getting up at 5am to cook it for them!!!! They had no place to be til noon - they are just curmudgeons! PLAIN AND SIMPLE!
So in the kitchen I see them drive away at 730am probably to go to mcdonalds or something. We do a mini high-five and continue with breakfast.
I don't do early breakfasts. I do offer a take-away breakfast bag for those leaving early or a discount. Saves me the trouble of dealing with unhappy guests and the take-away bag is very popular! I make it the day before and leave in the guest fridge. No biggy.

they were appauled.
I don't do early breakfasts. I do offer a take-away breakfast bag for those leaving early or a discount. Saves me the trouble of dealing with unhappy guests and the take-away bag is very popular! I make it the day before and leave in the guest fridge. No biggy.
Neat idea. What kind of things do you put in a takeaway bag?

they were appauled.
We do this, coffee to go, muffin, piece of fruit and sometimes a yogurt or power bar...or a small jar of homemade jam if I put in a bread to go with...no discounts for that!

they were appauled.
I give them a juice box, small yogurt, a smoked turkey and cheese (or something like that) sandwich on a whole wheat kaiser bun, a couple of slices of date or banana bread and a fruit. Guests seem really, really happy with it! I do this for early morning tours or for people who just want to get away early. I staple the bag closed with their name and a nice note on the bag.
Actually I give them a choice of a bagged lunch or a discount. Most choose the bagged lunch. Depending on my mood I may push the discount. I am not flexible at all with my breakfast times either. I know many of you are but I'm simply not.

they were appauled.
We do a takeaway bag, also - sometimes rafters or guests going on an historic tour are leaving very early. Yogurt, muffin or coffee cake, piece of fruit, plus takeaway cups for coffee. Spoon & napkin as well. We also put ours in the guest refrigerator for them to pick up and take with them.

they were appauled.
We do a takeaway bag, also - sometimes rafters or guests going on an historic tour are leaving very early. Yogurt, muffin or coffee cake, piece of fruit, plus takeaway cups for coffee. Spoon & napkin as well. We also put ours in the guest refrigerator for them to pick up and take with them.
muirford said:
Remember my to-go cup story? Well the guests today are back in the States after 4 years in Singapore. They are in awe of all the new-fandangled gadgets here now. Anyway, I offered them a togo cup as they were lovin the coffee and about to head off.
The story goes - I just got the to-go cups and placed a tidy stack of them at the rear of the coffee area. There are those guests who like to go on morning walks etc, so I thought this would be a nice thing for them.
I walk into the foyer to find ALL THE GUESTS - EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM walking around, sitting, chatting with these to-go cups in their hands!
WHAT! I say, this is not Fivebucks!
So now I only ask or offer if I see or feel the need. I don't leave them out any longer. It is almost a comfort food thing now, people have to be holding onto one of these type of cups to have a conversation it seems.

they were appauled.
I started doing sandwiches instead of just sweets and they seem to be much more popular. It costs a bit more I guess but if it makes them happy .....

they were appauled.
muirford said:
Remember my to-go cup story? Well the guests today are back in the States after 4 years in Singapore. They are in awe of all the new-fandangled gadgets here now. Anyway, I offered them a togo cup as they were lovin the coffee and about to head off.
The story goes - I just got the to-go cups and placed a tidy stack of them at the rear of the coffee area. There are those guests who like to go on morning walks etc, so I thought this would be a nice thing for them.
I walk into the foyer to find ALL THE GUESTS - EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM walking around, sitting, chatting with these to-go cups in their hands!
WHAT! I say, this is not Fivebucks!
So now I only ask or offer if I see or feel the need. I don't leave them out any longer. It is almost a comfort food thing now, people have to be holding onto one of these type of cups to have a conversation it seems.
Oh yeah, I bet that would happen - we hand them to the people who need them since we're up to give them the coffee.

they were appauled.
I started doing sandwiches instead of just sweets and they seem to be much more popular. It costs a bit more I guess but if it makes them happy .....
We don't get very many requests for it, but the natural yogurt I use seems to fill the protein needs. No complaints so far, anyway. I always have hard-boiled eggs around - I supposed I could toss one of those in as well.

One thing about being small is I CAN cater to guest needs. I offer between 4am and 10am because of the horses. Somehow I always get the early ones. DH baked and served the breakfasts I left for Monday and Tuesday. What time did they want? 9am!! HE gets 9am! If ai had been here they would have wanted 6am! Taint fair! He got to sleep in. If he was up by 8 he could have been ready at 9.
I have to go cups and usually offer a "care package" of muffins for the road. Do not want them on my already over-filled saddlebags!

We do get a lot of military - some can't eat breakfast as they have to be at the base by 7 - we've offered a continental and it was well received, and others said they couldn't eat that early in the morning and passed on the offer. But we do have enough baked goods in the freezer that I can easily pull something together for a to-go bag... fruit, bread, and coffee/juice in to-go cups.

Back