Please help a kid get a full scholarship

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
A girl in my small City has an chance for a full-ride (ALL fees, tuition, books, housing, etc for 4 years) at a West Virginia college West Virginia Wes lyan. She is one of the 10 finalists. Part of the final selection is votes.
She is in the Key Club, went to Leadership Camp sponsored by our Kiwanis last year and has been asked to return as a counselor, has good grades, and is an active leader. Please help in this phase of the selection process by voting for her. Shinnston only has 2300 people and some are from big cities.
Vote here http://www.wvscholar.com/vote.cfm and then you get an e-mail to confirm your vote. PLEASE help John na Ak ers (it would help to tell you who she is wouldn't it!)

thumbs_up.gif

Here's my question....where's her family and friends?? Looks like we're the only ones voting!

That is why I am asking for help. She does have friends and some family (but it is not a large family) and voting just started at noon today. I have voted all 10 of my addresses and posted it on FB. One kid already has 178 votes (see why she needs help? these big cities have more people in the school than we have in our city - she was up to 66 votes).
I am going through my e-mail list after City Council tonight. Thank you all for voting. And it is one time per e-mail address and if you do not confirm the vote, it does not count. I will be checking tomorrow to see if i can vote again. So if you are like me with multiple e-mail addresses, plese use all of them.

Done! BUT I'm SHOCKED that the final voting for scholarships are popularity contests. Isn't the point that many scholarship students don't have the opportunities (eg connections) that other students have or to award outstanding potential...and yet they are awarded by number of votes rather on scholastic or need. They should award to the student with the least number of votes... hmmph...

Done! BUT I'm SHOCKED that the final voting for scholarships are popularity contests. Isn't the point that many scholarship students don't have the opportunities (eg connections) that other students have or to award outstanding potential...and yet they are awarded by number of votes rather on scholastic or need. They should award to the student with the least number of votes... hmmph....
CafeMae said:
Done! BUT I'm SHOCKED that the final voting for scholarships are popularity contests. Isn't the point that many scholarship students don't have the opportunities (eg connections) that other students have or to award outstanding potential...and yet they are awarded by number of votes rather on scholastic or need. They should award to the student with the least number of votes... hmmph...
I know, it sucks because getting people in this town to use their computer to vote is difficult. I DO understand though because I am still hitting delete for address I used in the wine loves. I vote for important things - anything to do with money rather than bragging rights. This one is a 4 year free tride.
To get to this point, they go through a rigorous screening process. Grades, community involvement are among the considerarions. Then they do viseos of their interviews and this year they are playing voice of the parent's interview also.
It IS because of the popularity part that i am trying to drum up votes for her. She is currently trying to get her church to start voting and the town newspaper comes out today. We are trying to get the word out that she needs the votes. Perhaps now that the others have already cast their e-mails (like me) she can come from behind. Voting ends Midnight June 2 (the original date I found was June 9 but that was incorrect).
I thank each and every one of you who voted for her.

Done! BUT I'm SHOCKED that the final voting for scholarships are popularity contests. Isn't the point that many scholarship students don't have the opportunities (eg connections) that other students have or to award outstanding potential...and yet they are awarded by number of votes rather on scholastic or need. They should award to the student with the least number of votes... hmmph....
CafeMae said:
I know, it sucks because getting people in this town to use their computer to vote is difficult. I DO understand though because I am still hitting delete for address I used in the wine loves. I vote for important things - anything to do with money rather than bragging rights. This one is a 4 year free tride.
To get to this point, they go through a rigorous screening process. Grades, community involvement are among the considerarions. Then they do viseos of their interviews and this year they are playing voice of the parent's interview also.
It IS because of the popularity part that i am trying to drum up votes for her. She is currently trying to get her church to start voting and the town newspaper comes out today. We are trying to get the word out that she needs the votes. Perhaps now that the others have already cast their e-mails (like me) she can come from behind. Voting ends Midnight June 2 (the original date I found was June 9 but that was incorrect).
Yeah, you're doing good stuff. I'm just ranting. I just finished the book, Outliers yesterday, where Gladwell talks about success as being derived not just by being smart, but where you come from, and the opportunities that are afforded you. Of course, the bank probably just wants its new marketing email list, and we just provided it to them...sigh...

CafeMae said:
Yeah, you're doing good stuff. I'm just ranting. I just finished the book, Outliers yesterday, where Gladwell talks about success as being derived not just by being smart, but where you come from, and the opportunities that are afforded you. Of course, the bank probably just wants its new marketing email list, and we just provided it to them...sigh...
It is partly a bank, partly a lawyer, and partly a radio/media company plus a coal pac. I do thank you for helping (ot at least we were trying to) a kid.

Just want to tell all of you how much I appreciate the votes you cast. It is not easy for me to do, but I must concede and retire from the field. You at least helped save her from the ignominy of last place - that went to the second kid from a neighboring school (the powers that could direct votes chose the other student which should make 10th place easier to bear for him). Voting ends at Midnight tonight.
Just wanted to let you know I appreciate all who helped.

Just want to tell all of you how much I appreciate the votes you cast. It is not easy for me to do, but I must concede and retire from the field. You at least helped save her from the ignominy of last place - that went to the second kid from a neighboring school (the powers that could direct votes chose the other student which should make 10th place easier to bear for him). Voting ends at Midnight tonight.
Just wanted to let you know I appreciate all who helped..
I really HATE that it was a popularity contest!

Just wanted to let you know I appreciate all who helped..
I really HATE that it was a popularity contest!
Me too. They announce the winners on the 12th

Update: It appears from the results this year that they use the voting to decide #2 and #3. The full-ride went to a girl from another small toown in SE West Virginia. #1 votes got $5000 and the #2 votes got $2500 (I think that is per year for 4 years).
I thank all who took the time to votw. Johnna took it well. She was so pleased to have made the finals and told me it obviously was not in THE PLAN for he. She srill has her Senior year to apply for other scholarships (that is why this one is for Juniors - so they know their status and can go from there).

Back