Please help with dryer woes!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, first off I AM using a ball in the dryer to try to keep the sheets from winding up into a hard little wet knot. Not working. Basically what I have to do is wash 3 sets of sheets and then dry each set individually. Pain in the ass, I don't mind saying.
Today I have taken 6 sets of sheets out of the dryer just as wet as when they went in, after 45 minutes of drying time. Why? Because they're in a tiny little wad that I could kill someone with if I dropped it on them.
I'm in tears. I can't take this damned laundry anymore.
So, dryer balls didn't work. Drying one set at a time takes all friggin' day and means I am constantly having to stop what I am doing to go reload the dryer and fold the sheets. 11 sets of sheets are now taking me, with the bigger dryer, 10x as long as before. If the unit hadn't cost so dang much money I would be sorely tempted to just go to that laundromat and get everything done in 2 hours.
Explain how to load a dryer. Help me out before hubs divorces me over my complaining about the dryer. (He has already recommended my going to the laundromat or drying one set at a time for 10 minutes.)
Next load out that is wound right up I will take a picture of so you can see what I mean.

Sorry, wish I could help you. usually the balling up is a result of too big a load..but your new one is supposed to handle that.
But what is that brand??? I will not be buying it. Doesn't sound like it is doing the job to me. Can you complain and return it for a different one? I certainly would contact the manufacturer for their advice / suggsestion.

We're right with you Bree. As mentioned in another forum, we have small stackable washer/dryer combo. We have the exact same problem and to make matters worse the so-called "wrinkle free" sheets we bought from J.C. Penny are crap. They come out more wrinkled than certain parts of my body!
Ironing doesn't help unless you starch them. Who wants to sleep on that. Fortunately, we have other high thread count sheets that do well coming out of the dryer. If we can get them on the close line, they dry fairly smooth and only a light ironing is required on the top 1/3rd.

Sorry, I don't have a solution. We only get the twisting problem on occaision with the Washer, not the dryer. Is there a different setting you can try (like delicates or something) that would slow the rotation of the drum?
Look up your dryer by name on epinions.com or search for it and see if anyone else has a solution.

You can't put a towel in there or they will do that, anything heavier than the sheets themselves, even one wash cloth. King sheets are bad when they get wrapped up.
YES it sucks, I agree!

You can't put a towel in there or they will do that, anything heavier than the sheets themselves, even one wash cloth. King sheets are bad when they get wrapped up.
YES it sucks, I agree!.
Well if I am in the market for new washer and dryer..I may not conside these front loaders at all. I am drawn to the regular top loaders..but the ones out now with no agitator. ANyone have one of them??? What do you think? I am seeing signs and I want to be ready... the water heater sprung a leak last night..so we hubby installed a new one this afternoon. It is always something.

I have the same problem with my new Sear front loads.
If I had the room, I would have one washer and 2 dryers.
lo

OK, now I get it - now I understand why my dryer runs in one direction a couple of mintues, stops, and then start tumbling in the other direction. When the clothes aren't "wet" anymore (doesn't take long!), it just runs in one direction. And interestingly, I can put towels and sheets in there together without a problem. That said, the only sheets I dry completely dry are the ones I sleep on because I don't care whether they are perfectly wrinkle free or not. The others that have to be wrinkle-free get dried slightly and then laid across the bed just barely damp so that I can smooth them out with my hands by pulling on each corner. I never have to iron sheets. Anyway, I think it must be the reverse direction tumbling that prevents the balling.
Bree, I'm sorry I don't have a solution, but perhaps what I think I just learned here may shed some light on a feature that one may want to look for in their next purchase of a dryer. For anybody in the market for a set, mine is a Bosch and I love it.

Mine still occassionally do this, but only when I overload with king sheets...but I have 4 dryer balls in there now, it helps...

YES it sucks, I agree!.
Well if I am in the market for new washer and dryer..I may not conside these front loaders at all. I am drawn to the regular top loaders..but the ones out now with no agitator. ANyone have one of them??? What do you think? I am seeing signs and I want to be ready... the water heater sprung a leak last night..so we hubby installed a new one this afternoon. It is always something.
But there are no top loading dryers. ;)

gosh!
in your 'spare time' i think a call to customer service and a complaint and a 'help me!' are needed.
my dryer cannot handle as much as my washer. so we do dry smaller loads than are washed. it's the only way or the outer sheet will be dry but, inside, will be a 'ball' of wets.
across the road at the hotel, he has two washers and three dryers. until i did volume laundry, i didn't understand why more dryers than washers.
sorry, sweetie.
my sheets go to the laundry service. i can't handle the volume of laundry to keep up.

I agree...sounds like you're overloading the dryer especially if you have all King size sheets in there. That only happens to me when I put too much in there.
No way out...you have a lot of rooms, so you need to keep 2 dryers going or go with a laundry service. Probably not what you wanted to hear :-(

YES it sucks, I agree!.
DUH!
cry_smile.gif

YES it sucks, I agree!.
Actually, that's not true. Take a look here.

I agree...sounds like you're overloading the dryer especially if you have all King size sheets in there. That only happens to me when I put too much in there.
No way out...you have a lot of rooms, so you need to keep 2 dryers going or go with a laundry service. Probably not what you wanted to hear :-(.
Samster said:
No way out...you have a lot of rooms, so you need to keep 2 dryers going or go with a laundry service. Probably not what you wanted to hear :-(
Usually 2 queen sets + 1 twin set. Or 2 queens + 1 king. Or all queens. I can easily fit, no cramming, no shoving, the 2 queen sets + 1 king set. If it fits in the washer it should fit in the dryer that is almost 2x bigger than the washer.
I think someone else's idea about calling user help is in order. AND 4 dryer balls. Maybe I don't have enough of them in there.
I've tried perm press and cotton cycles. What seems to work the best, tho, is the timed 'refresh' cycle. So I may give that a go today (full house last night) and see what happens.

gosh!
in your 'spare time' i think a call to customer service and a complaint and a 'help me!' are needed.
my dryer cannot handle as much as my washer. so we do dry smaller loads than are washed. it's the only way or the outer sheet will be dry but, inside, will be a 'ball' of wets.
across the road at the hotel, he has two washers and three dryers. until i did volume laundry, i didn't understand why more dryers than washers.
sorry, sweetie.
my sheets go to the laundry service. i can't handle the volume of laundry to keep up..
seashanty said:
gosh!
sorry, sweetie.
my sheets go to the laundry service. i can't handle the volume of laundry to keep up.
We have another washer & 2 dryers in the basement. That's where we do the towels. I thought maybe I should swap and do the towels in the new washer and the sheets in the cellar, but the floor down there is grunge and I'm too short to keep the sheets off the floor!

gosh!
sorry, sweetie.
my sheets go to the laundry service. i can't handle the volume of laundry to keep up..
seashanty said:
gosh!
sorry, sweetie.
We have another washer & 2 dryers in the basement. That's where we do the towels. I thought maybe I should swap and do the towels in the new washer and the sheets in the cellar, but the floor down there is grunge and I'm too short to keep the sheets off the floor!
Yeah, I knew you had more dryers there. I also was wondering if it's how wet the sheets are? Don't know how your new washer does as far as how dry they are after the washer is finished. I've noticed less balling up with the Fisher Paykel which really spins the laundry dry vs my old machine. I usually only have that happen though if I put too much in the dryer or if a towel sneaks in there. haha!

gosh!
sorry, sweetie.
seashanty said:
gosh!
sorry, sweetie.
Yeah, I knew you had more dryers there. I also was wondering if it's how wet the sheets are? Don't know how your new washer does as far as how dry they are after the washer is finished. I've noticed less balling up with the Fisher Paykel which really spins the laundry dry vs my old machine. I usually only have that happen though if I put too much in the dryer or if a towel sneaks in there. haha!
i have a folding table in the basement ... nothing elegant. maybe you have the same kind of basement as i do? part cement, part pot holes, dirt in the corners and a sump pump? lots of cobwebs on the loooowwww ceiling, complete with low pipes and crack your skull beams.
hmmm ... how 'short' are you?
wink_smile.gif
don't want you toppling into the front loaders!
if the basement is impossible (and it is a royal pain trecking up and down here) is there any space to put one of your dryers up near the new washer and dryer? any way at all? trying to remember - you were looking at stackers because of lack of space, is that right?

gosh!
sorry, sweetie.
seashanty said:
gosh!
sorry, sweetie.
i have a folding table in the basement ... nothing elegant. maybe you have the same kind of basement as i do? part cement, part pot holes, dirt in the corners and a sump pump? lots of cobwebs on the loooowwww ceiling, complete with low pipes and crack your skull beams.
wink_smile.gif
if the basement is impossible (and it is a royal pain trecking up and down here) is there any space to put one of your dryers up near the new washer and dryer? any way at all? trying to remember - you were looking at stackers because of lack of space, is that right?
seashanty said:
wink_smile.gif
I have tables in the cellar, too. I'm a klutz so it's better the sheets never set foot down there. As it is, even upstairs I drage the sheets all over the floor trying to get them unwound and folded. I'm not ALL that short, I won't tip into the washer but it's tippy toes to start the dryer.
No room upstairs, it's a former bathroom and the stacking unit is in the old shower space. I have to keep the sink & toilet in there in case we hire help. The rest is shelving for the linens. I refuse to have any of it in my space.

YES it sucks, I agree!.
Actually, that's not true. Take a look here.
Ok, that one looks pretty cool!

Back