Please say a prayer for my neighbor

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanctuary

Reaction score
....because I am going to kill him.
He is replacing his "roof" in the slip next to me which means he is grinding fiberglass down to the core and epoxying new glass over it. What he FORGOT to tell me is that yesterday they were going to be grinding glass ALL DAY and ALL of my windows and doors were open while I was away all day. The inside of the yacht is covered with grey and black fiberglass dust and glass. The canvas goods on my flybridge have fiberglass fibers stuck all in it.
I've been cleaning and cleaning all day - mostly the white carpet. The draperies (lots of them) will have to be drycleaned and the soft goods still need to be cleaned. It's everywhere. All the dishes have to be washed and the cabinets stripped and cleaned. Thank God this is the off season (hurricane season) and I have no one here now. I won't even get into what the outside looks like. He should have taken the boat to a boatyard to do this. This isn't a trivial repair - it's a major renovation. It's against marina rules, but the assistant manager walked down the dock today and just turned his head the other way. That's what Miami is ... the Banana Republic. It's all about who ya know.
Fortunately, the guest rooms had all of their windows closed and the doors shut, but the salon (living room) and the galley (kitchen) got covered. This is why they won't let me keep a shotgun onboard.

He's using polyester resin with MEK. When it "kicks", you've got about 30 seconds to get out of it. I'm sure it kicked before the crew left, but I like the way you think. :)
I once had a whole pot of go off while I was stil stirring and before I could run up the stairs with it to smear it in the holes I was filling...had to mix another batch.

May a squadron of sea gulls sight in on that target and use it as a missle testing ground as well as find it a delightful place to roost. May they totally miss your Hatteras during their missions.

He's using polyester resin with MEK. When it "kicks", you've got about 30 seconds to get out of it. I'm sure it kicked before the crew left, but I like the way you think. :)
I once had a whole pot of go off while I was stil stirring and before I could run up the stairs with it to smear it in the holes I was filling...had to mix another batch..
My partner suggested it would now be a good time for you to beat rugs or any other dust/dirt-producing task.

any way to put fish bate on his boat so all the sea gulls fly straight to it? what a complete
potty-mouth.gif
if we are even going to have a barbeque we tell the neighbours so they don't put laundry out. all that extra work GRRRR. We are having all our windows done in the new year and we have to by law have to have signed agreements from our neighbours on either side that it is ok. They are both fine with it cos one side is my godmother and the other side want to have their windows done to and if we get planning to do it it will make it easier for them to get it as well. What an idiot!

What an incosiderate "YOU KNOW WHAT" but....about a gallon of Dishsoap in the gastank does wonders-never know when its gonna stop working..drastic measure at least its not shooting him and I second the "curse" that Gillum said! it is migrating season he he he...

All good ideas....but....
He's got until 5PM today to be finished AND he's got to have his cleaning lady finish cleaning the interior (that I didn't get done) tomorrow morning, AND he's got to have the exterior detailed, including removing all the fiberglass shards from my canvas and getting the caked dust out of the crevices and seams. Otherwise, if he continues to grind, I will ask the marina for another slip until he's done with this and move my boat. At that point, the Marina may shut him down instead of moving me. And if that doesn't work, the Coast Guard would love the fine this kind of pollution generates. That's why boatyard work is so expensive...all the EPA fees for proper disposal of dust and debris. His project has trashed the exteriors of the othe boats at this end of the pier, but I got the worst of it. If he doesn't clean my boat pronto, I'll have it done and send him the bill which I suspect maybe near $800.
I' not the only one on the dock waiting for him to walk down the pier today, but I am the only one who does not keep firearms on the boat. LOL

UPDATE: My neighbor will live at least one more day, and many more if he does what he says, and I truly think he will. He's really not a bad guy, but just screwed up and let it fester with the rest of us as his project grew beyond his expectations which continued into creating a hazmat condition with the rest of us. The fine by the Coast Guard for what he did is in the tens of thousands.
This evening when he was coming home from work, the "Pier 7 Firing Squad" was waiting for him, and he had heard about that through the grapevine as he approached us sitting in front of his boat. I ended up being the spokesperson by reason of the fact that no one else started to speak, and I was HOT about the ordeal (just couldn't sit by quietly) and was not shy in the least bit. After all, I got the brunt of the mess and was the only one who had glass grindings in my bed, all over my furniture, all over my dishes, in my cabinets, on my stove, my countertops...you get the ugly picture.
I even took off my sunglasses so we could see "eye to eye." I wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding as to the seriousness about what I had to say. I normally smile when I talk even when confrontational, but not today. I started off with "You're not making any friends on this dock this week" to which he responded, "yeah, I know."
I'm proud of myself - I was calm, collected, never raised my voice, never cursed, was polite, yet firm....Damn...I never knew I had that in me, because I was SO PISSED!!!! I'm known for having a temper when pushed over the edge and will unload when driven, as I have been today. Being the third day into this crap, I was so angry about the conditions here, I could have eaten him for lunch. I told him this was not a trivial repair he did, that he should have gone to a boatyard to do this or out to anchor, and that as his neighbor, this was more that had bitten off on. I knew he was going to do some work, and I was trying to work with him, but that's before I knew the extent of what he was going to do. He described it to me as some coring repair. I thought he was repairing a piece of bad coring, not grind his whole deck off. I honestly think this project got out of hand on him, too. It started out replacing a piece of bad coring under a few stantion bases (I've got the same problem to fix). I can relate as I've done that, but as a very seasoned yacht owner (and one who does all the work on this yacht), I know that replacing coring can be evil. You have to tell yourself to STOP where you are working, or yes, you can peel off the entire deck. I, myself, have been there and I stopped at a 1x2 foot section, yet I know my entire 45 feet of decking needs to come off at some point (and I'll do that at anchor, not in the marina). He let it go and ended up grinding about 50' x 18' of fiberglass into dust and guess where all that went????
After conferring with his work crew when he got home (after going before the firing squad), he called me and assured me that if he has to get out even a square inch piece of sandpaper, he will move HIS boat to do that - I think he now understands the ramifications of me asking the marina for another slip until he finishes (he'll get the boot so hard from the marina that he'll taste the shoepolish). He has cleaning crews, interior and exterior, showing up on my boat tomorrow morning. I'm first in line!!!! And then on to the other boats here.

No one fired their weapon, though they were locked and loaded (Miami IS the Banana Replublic!!). LOL I have removed all of my canvas structures and covers and they're now out on the bow waiting for his wash crew in the morning. Another neighbor has his own crew showing up on Monday and you know where that bill is going. Just to give you an idea of what this costs...it costs about $800 to detail the exterior of a boat this size (and all of the boats on the end of this pier are "this size"), and there are six of us who are breathing fire right now.
The last thing he said as he walked onto his boat, "Angela, I WILL make this up to you," to which I responded, "after you clean my boat inside and out....lots of champagne." He nodded in the affirmative. It seems all will be well in the neighborhood in the end. And I will bet THIS will never happen again.

UPDATE: My neighbor will live at least one more day, and many more if he does what he says, and I truly think he will. He's really not a bad guy, but just screwed up and let it fester with the rest of us as his project grew beyond his expectations which continued into creating a hazmat condition with the rest of us. The fine by the Coast Guard for what he did is in the tens of thousands.
This evening when he was coming home from work, the "Pier 7 Firing Squad" was waiting for him, and he had heard about that through the grapevine as he approached us sitting in front of his boat. I ended up being the spokesperson by reason of the fact that no one else started to speak, and I was HOT about the ordeal (just couldn't sit by quietly) and was not shy in the least bit. After all, I got the brunt of the mess and was the only one who had glass grindings in my bed, all over my furniture, all over my dishes, in my cabinets, on my stove, my countertops...you get the ugly picture.
I even took off my sunglasses so we could see "eye to eye." I wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding as to the seriousness about what I had to say. I normally smile when I talk even when confrontational, but not today. I started off with "You're not making any friends on this dock this week" to which he responded, "yeah, I know."
I'm proud of myself - I was calm, collected, never raised my voice, never cursed, was polite, yet firm....Damn...I never knew I had that in me, because I was SO PISSED!!!! I'm known for having a temper when pushed over the edge and will unload when driven, as I have been today. Being the third day into this crap, I was so angry about the conditions here, I could have eaten him for lunch. I told him this was not a trivial repair he did, that he should have gone to a boatyard to do this or out to anchor, and that as his neighbor, this was more that had bitten off on. I knew he was going to do some work, and I was trying to work with him, but that's before I knew the extent of what he was going to do. He described it to me as some coring repair. I thought he was repairing a piece of bad coring, not grind his whole deck off. I honestly think this project got out of hand on him, too. It started out replacing a piece of bad coring under a few stantion bases (I've got the same problem to fix). I can relate as I've done that, but as a very seasoned yacht owner (and one who does all the work on this yacht), I know that replacing coring can be evil. You have to tell yourself to STOP where you are working, or yes, you can peel off the entire deck. I, myself, have been there and I stopped at a 1x2 foot section, yet I know my entire 45 feet of decking needs to come off at some point (and I'll do that at anchor, not in the marina). He let it go and ended up grinding about 50' x 18' of fiberglass into dust and guess where all that went????
After conferring with his work crew when he got home (after going before the firing squad), he called me and assured me that if he has to get out even a square inch piece of sandpaper, he will move HIS boat to do that - I think he now understands the ramifications of me asking the marina for another slip until he finishes (he'll get the boot so hard from the marina that he'll taste the shoepolish). He has cleaning crews, interior and exterior, showing up on my boat tomorrow morning. I'm first in line!!!! And then on to the other boats here.

No one fired their weapon, though they were locked and loaded (Miami IS the Banana Replublic!!). LOL I have removed all of my canvas structures and covers and they're now out on the bow waiting for his wash crew in the morning. Another neighbor has his own crew showing up on Monday and you know where that bill is going. Just to give you an idea of what this costs...it costs about $800 to detail the exterior of a boat this size (and all of the boats on the end of this pier are "this size"), and there are six of us who are breathing fire right now.
The last thing he said as he walked onto his boat, "Angela, I WILL make this up to you," to which I responded, "after you clean my boat inside and out....lots of champagne." He nodded in the affirmative. It seems all will be well in the neighborhood in the end. And I will bet THIS will never happen again..
Good for you to be so cool-headed!
thumbs_up.gif

The last thing he said as he walked onto his boat, "Angela, I WILL make this up to you," to which I responded, "after you clean my boat inside and out....lots of champagne." He nodded in the affirmative. It seems all will be well in the neighborhood in the end. And I will bet THIS will never happen again..
thumbs_up.gif

Alibi Ike said:
thumbs_up.gif
Yeah...I shocked myself!!! Really...that was so NOT like me under those circumstances. I usually sic my out-of-town partner in the yacht, Ed, on folks when I feel like that because he is so much more diplomatic in that respect. He tempers me, especially when someone (usually a manufacturer) insults me by insinuating that some job here is too much for a girl to handle and that perhaps I should call a professionsal (boy nothing ticks me off more than that!). How many times have I said to him, "Do you want to talk to this guy, or do you want me to do it?" He usually takes the lead, but I was so mad this time that I didn't give him the choice...this one was all mine. You should have heard the voice mail I left Ed ...full of things that would make a sailor bashful...as I described what I came home to when it first happend on Wednesday. And then...I waited on the dock for my neighbor to come home and reamed him a new one. I guess I "unloaded" then instead of on my neighbor today. Then, I thought of burning his boat to the waterline and other evil things, but the thought of prison was discouraging.
I'm the one who has to deal with all of this. Ed lives in Atlanta and is only here from time to time. I carry most of the burden of this operation. Ed told me that in addtion to the "you owe me lots of champagne," that I need to tell the neighbor that Ed wants bottle of Grey Goose because he had to listen to me vent the latter part of this week. And I will convey that message tomorrow. :)
I still can't believe I didn't take his head off this evening. I never even got up out of my chair and took a step towards him - that was probably a message in and of itself by those who know me. Now, I may know where there are few explosives (pre 9/11 stuff) are from my pyrotech days.
devil_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

Alibi Ike said:
thumbs_up.gif
Yeah...I shocked myself!!! Really...that was so NOT like me under those circumstances. I usually sic my out-of-town partner in the yacht, Ed, on folks when I feel like that because he is so much more diplomatic in that respect. He tempers me, especially when someone (usually a manufacturer) insults me by insinuating that some job here is too much for a girl to handle and that perhaps I should call a professionsal (boy nothing ticks me off more than that!). How many times have I said to him, "Do you want to talk to this guy, or do you want me to do it?" He usually takes the lead, but I was so mad this time that I didn't give him the choice...this one was all mine. You should have heard the voice mail I left Ed ...full of things that would make a sailor bashful...as I described what I came home to when it first happend on Wednesday. And then...I waited on the dock for my neighbor to come home and reamed him a new one. I guess I "unloaded" then instead of on my neighbor today. Then, I thought of burning his boat to the waterline and other evil things, but the thought of prison was discouraging.
I'm the one who has to deal with all of this. Ed lives in Atlanta and is only here from time to time. I carry most of the burden of this operation. Ed told me that in addtion to the "you owe me lots of champagne," that I need to tell the neighbor that Ed wants bottle of Grey Goose because he had to listen to me vent the latter part of this week. And I will convey that message tomorrow. :)
I still can't believe I didn't take his head off this evening. I never even got up out of my chair and took a step towards him - that was probably a message in and of itself by those who know me. Now, I may know where there are few explosives (pre 9/11 stuff) are from my pyrotech days.
devil_smile.gif

Sanctuary in Miami said:
Alibi Ike said:
thumbs_up.gif
I still can't believe I didn't take his head off this evening. I never even got up out of my chair and took a step towards him - that was probably a message in and of itself by those who know me.
If this guy knows you, too, it probably scared the beejeezus out of him that you were calm. You always have to be more worried about people in control of themselves as the others are letting off steam instead of it building up!

Glad this will hopefully be resolved soon! I have a question out of curiosity - is the guy who did all this work a "seasoned sailor"? I ran your scenario by my brothers who have all had boats all their adult lives (including my eldest who currently has a sailboat in a marina in Florida) and they thought your neighbor was an idjit. The most eco-friendly brother said the work should have been done in the boatyard.

Samster, your brothers are correct. I, too, told him that what he did should have been done in the yard. At the end of the day (day after day), he did not make good on his daily promises to clean my boat back to where it was before he trashed it. By 3PM today, I gave up waiting on him and began the huge task myself. I spent 4 hours, until the sun went down) on the flybridge alone. I haven't even gotten to the main deck.
His wife sent over her cleaning lady on Saturday morning, but there wasn't much to do, because I had already begun cleaning the interior since they dusted me with glass inside back on Wednesday. It only took her about an hour to finish what I hadn't finished. I just can't sit around and waller in that crap. It seems, they want to do my clean up on their schedule. Today, he was working on his boat all day long putting it back together while I have been waiting for 4 days to get my work done.
I had planned to varnish my dining table and chairs, but because I had to leave all the canvas enclosure closed because of his mess, I couldn't do any of it. The aft deck where the furniture is gets well over 100 degrees in there with the canvas closed on a sunny day. That will bubble my varnish, so no-can-do. Plus, that too hot to work in there.
Things will never be the same between us again. If I had trashed someone boat and home, I'd be over there pronto fixing it rather than taking such a non-chalant approach that "I'll clean yours when I'm ready to clean mine" which is what has happened. I'm undecided how I'll handle this further, but the wheels are turning.
I tried to get the fiberglass fibers out of my canvas covers, but I have scrubbed and scrubbed and they will not come out. This guy has some pull with the marina management (City of Miami). I was at the top of the list for that slip he's in and when it became available, the office gave it to him, who was never on the list, instead. I had been #1 on that list for over a year. There is nothing fair about dealing with the City of Miami. It would not surprise me if they told me I shouldn't have left the boat with the windows and doors open. In fact, the marina manager walked down there on Thursday, looked up at the three guys in hazmat suits, goggles and masks, and then said hello to me as I was doing one of my semi-daily hosing down of my boat. See....the just don't care. Miami is the Banana Republic and my neighbor has more money to grease the palms here than I do.

Samster, your brothers are correct. I, too, told him that what he did should have been done in the yard. At the end of the day (day after day), he did not make good on his daily promises to clean my boat back to where it was before he trashed it. By 3PM today, I gave up waiting on him and began the huge task myself. I spent 4 hours, until the sun went down) on the flybridge alone. I haven't even gotten to the main deck.
His wife sent over her cleaning lady on Saturday morning, but there wasn't much to do, because I had already begun cleaning the interior since they dusted me with glass inside back on Wednesday. It only took her about an hour to finish what I hadn't finished. I just can't sit around and waller in that crap. It seems, they want to do my clean up on their schedule. Today, he was working on his boat all day long putting it back together while I have been waiting for 4 days to get my work done.
I had planned to varnish my dining table and chairs, but because I had to leave all the canvas enclosure closed because of his mess, I couldn't do any of it. The aft deck where the furniture is gets well over 100 degrees in there with the canvas closed on a sunny day. That will bubble my varnish, so no-can-do. Plus, that too hot to work in there.
Things will never be the same between us again. If I had trashed someone boat and home, I'd be over there pronto fixing it rather than taking such a non-chalant approach that "I'll clean yours when I'm ready to clean mine" which is what has happened. I'm undecided how I'll handle this further, but the wheels are turning.
I tried to get the fiberglass fibers out of my canvas covers, but I have scrubbed and scrubbed and they will not come out. This guy has some pull with the marina management (City of Miami). I was at the top of the list for that slip he's in and when it became available, the office gave it to him, who was never on the list, instead. I had been #1 on that list for over a year. There is nothing fair about dealing with the City of Miami. It would not surprise me if they told me I shouldn't have left the boat with the windows and doors open. In fact, the marina manager walked down there on Thursday, looked up at the three guys in hazmat suits, goggles and masks, and then said hello to me as I was doing one of my semi-daily hosing down of my boat. See....the just don't care. Miami is the Banana Republic and my neighbor has more money to grease the palms here than I do..
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh...... That is just not right! But it's no different where I live...."good ol' boy" way of doing things and if you have a name or money, you will win every time even if in the wrong.
I was hoping after y'all met him at the boat that he would come through on his promises to you. Dang. You work so hard that I'm really aggravated for you. Sorry. :-(

I tried to get the fiberglass fibers out of my canvas covers, but I have scrubbed and scrubbed and they will not come out. This guy has some pull with the marina management (City of Miami). I was at the top of the list for that slip he's in and when it became available, the office gave it to him, who was never on the list, instead. I had been #1 on that list for over a year. There is nothing fair about dealing with the City of Miami. It would not surprise me if they told me I shouldn't have left the boat with the windows and doors open. In fact, the marina manager walked down there on Thursday, looked up at the three guys in hazmat suits, goggles and masks, and then said hello to me as I was doing one of my semi-daily hosing down of my boat. See....the just don't care. Miami is the Banana Republic and my neighbor has more money to grease the palms here than I do..
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh...... That is just not right! But it's no different where I live...."good ol' boy" way of doing things and if you have a name or money, you will win every time even if in the wrong.
I was hoping after y'all met him at the boat that he would come through on his promises to you. Dang. You work so hard that I'm really aggravated for you. Sorry. :-(
Samster said:
But it's no different where I live...."good ol' boy" way of doing things and if you have a name or money, you will win every time even if in the wrong.
Sorry to say it girls, but it's the same way everywhere. Not what you know, but who.

Can you have the work done by pros and then present him the bill? If he doesn't pay, then there's small claims court. At this point I wouldn't try to deal with him at all.

Agree with Diva....
I would not have waited 4 days.....after 1 day....the next he'd be getting a certified letter from my attorney...
I've found it much easier letting the attorney deal with it......and let them pay the attorney fees.
On top of that.......an environmental hazard.....As soon as I had seen him doing what he was doing........I would have told him to stop....if they don't then the authorities are immediately called.......I know all to well having to comply with EPA and DEC regulations.

Back