Please Weigh In On This One

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for your input! We've decided to go ahead and charge for the entire stay. We're probably in for a bumpy ride!

In re the kennel option offered...most kennels won't take dogs without advance notice and all their vacc record. Quite possibly these folks did not have that, either. The kennel where we take our dog won't even take a faxed copy from the vet in the next town. We've been taking our dog there for 6 years and we still have to bring the paperwork with us every time.
Slight sidetrack here, but I would leave my dog in the car overnight. Not if it was 90 degrees and the windows had to be shut, but with clement weather, not a problem for either us (me or the dog)..
Honestly??? You could leave that little blonde face alone overnight??? Ours would die of a broken heart. But I suppose if it's something the dog is used to, but I still don't like it.
confused_smile.gif

Charge the whole stay...exactly as you said they are going to do a chargeback on the deposit anyway so you might as well uphold ALL the policies. You will have a date/time stamp on your email when you sent the confirmation, sometimes that is good enough for the cc company.
They tried to pull a fast one, they timed the late arrival to get around the policy. Isn't it at least a BIT amusing when they figure out that YES, we have a reason for EVERYTHING we do (your poor dog having to go through this, in this case). NO responsible dog owner would even CONSIDER letting their pet spend the night in the car, that is horrible..
Don Draper said:
NO responsible dog owner would even CONSIDER letting their pet spend the night in the car, that is horrible.
I dont agree with that, where BD is located it is not hot and many dogs are crate trained anyway. They probably stay in the vehicle all night (I am picturing a Honda SUV with dog noses pressed against the back window).
confused_smile.gif
People camp in vehicles such as that and with pets. - just sharing the "i wouldn't go at it from that angle - bit. People stay at relatives and leave their dogs in their vehicles, and YEAH I BET THE VEHICLE IS LOVELY INSIDE - not.
But the main thing was they were staying MORE THAN ONE NIGHT, so what about that?
Edited to add: There is a convertable Ferrari in our parking lot and I would love to camp in it overnight, please oh please (but it's yellow)
ferrari-california-1.jpg

Sorry, to me that is worse than slum apartments. I would never do that to our dog.
ETA: You can also NEVER predict what your animal will do in an unfamiliar situation (yes, they might be used to the car but not the environment, strange noises, other animals outside). This just seems very irresponsible, too many "What Ifs?".

In re the kennel option offered...most kennels won't take dogs without advance notice and all their vacc record. Quite possibly these folks did not have that, either. The kennel where we take our dog won't even take a faxed copy from the vet in the next town. We've been taking our dog there for 6 years and we still have to bring the paperwork with us every time.
Slight sidetrack here, but I would leave my dog in the car overnight. Not if it was 90 degrees and the windows had to be shut, but with clement weather, not a problem for either us (me or the dog)..
Honestly??? You could leave that little blonde face alone overnight??? Ours would die of a broken heart. But I suppose if it's something the dog is used to, but I still don't like it.
confused_smile.gif

If the other option was leaving her home in a kennel? Yup.

confused_smile.gif

But you'd plan ahead and make sure where you were going she could go too. You wouldn't show up at 11 o'clock at night and *hope* it was ok!

confused_smile.gif

But you'd plan ahead and make sure where you were going she could go too. You wouldn't show up at 11 o'clock at night and *hope* it was ok!
Don Draper said:
Absolutely! We always make sure she's welcome wherever we go. I know leaving the dog in the car is not optimal but we have traveled with her a lot and we never leave her alone in the room so she has become comfortable sleeping in the car while we do stuff she can't do.

confused_smile.gif

Don Draper said:
Absolutely! We always make sure she's welcome wherever we go. I know leaving the dog in the car is not optimal but we have traveled with her a lot and we never leave her alone in the room so she has become comfortable sleeping in the car while we do stuff she can't do.
Yes, we do this too...like going into a museum or grabbing a meal for an hour. But never overnight, if she couldn't stay with us she'd stay with relatives while we were gone.

In anticipation of this problem, we state out right the following:
Regretfully, we cannot accommodate pets. No exceptions. We do not accept guests who plan to leave their pets in the car during their stay. Should you arrive with a pet, you will be turned away and forfeit your full reservation.
This is on our website and is sent to them with their confirmation. If they book online, they have to check that they read our policies (event though most don't).
As business people, we aren't responsible for the irresponsible. It's your business, stick to your guns.

In anticipation of this problem, we state out right the following:
Regretfully, we cannot accommodate pets. No exceptions. We do not accept guests who plan to leave their pets in the car during their stay. Should you arrive with a pet, you will be turned away and forfeit your full reservation.
This is on our website and is sent to them with their confirmation. If they book online, they have to check that they read our policies (event though most don't).
As business people, we aren't responsible for the irresponsible. It's your business, stick to your guns..
I might put as well something like "we have a dog who goes bizerk when it smells another dog so there is no way we will be unaware you have a dog" would put it more tactfully than that but it might repress some of the jiggers who think they can "sneek it in" later etc. or not notice you have it in the car.

They knew dogs were not allowed - that's why they arrived at 11 hoping you would be asleep. Where they went wrong was to assume that your dog would not make a stink. You are doing the correct thing by charging them. They won't try it again!
Riki

coming in late (as usual!) and I am glad you decided to charge. They sound like the nutso pet owners who cannot be without their dogs for even one night. I am sorry, but those people treat their dogs better than their kids and do not care about anyone else - period. Selfish people. I did have dogs but the dog was like the rest of the family - no special stuff.
My horse people often have dogs - they spend the night in the trailer. I have made exceptions a few times and the only time I regretted it was the time it was brought up as an "oh, by the way..." Those who were upfront about it were no problem. The rotten after-thought peed all over the rugs in the bathroom - she is just 4 pounds..... I learned my lesson. No BTW she has this little... gets told sorry, no room.

I just received a phone call from the dog people. The threats were flying! Says to DH, "You're messing with the wrong people, pal". DH starts to get upset, so I take the phone. Very calmly I tell him that since they were not able to compromise, that he can dispute it with his credit card company, but we weren't going to do this over the phone. In a threatening tone, he says it's illegal to charge their credit card without their permission like he's going to sue us and also threatens bad reviews.
The bumpy road just got full of potholes. We're going to hang on tight!

I just received a phone call from the dog people. The threats were flying! Says to DH, "You're messing with the wrong people, pal". DH starts to get upset, so I take the phone. Very calmly I tell him that since they were not able to compromise, that he can dispute it with his credit card company, but we weren't going to do this over the phone. In a threatening tone, he says it's illegal to charge their credit card without their permission like he's going to sue us and also threatens bad reviews.
The bumpy road just got full of potholes. We're going to hang on tight!.
!!! Losers.
You might want to "swiss cheese" this thread now, if you can.

pita.gif

Whatever buddy, it ain't your first rodeo. Good for you for remaining professional and cool headed. Do it all dispassionately in writing. I'm super glad you charged the whole thing, because they would have given you this much grief just for the deposit too. Sounds like big time losers all the way around.
How's this for the exact opposite of your situation? Last weekend had a couple booked for 3 nights, had to cancel just before arrival because their dog was diagnosed with cancer. Not a word about cost, sorry to have to cancel at the last minute, hope to rebook. We ended up re-selling two of the three nights so I was able to refund him partially, but before I could even email to tell him that he rebooked today, for 4 nights next month, in a larger room, leaving a second deposit because he just assumed the first one was lost. So HE got a discount.

Hang on tight, but I believe you will be the one on the smooth highway in the end.

!!! Losers.
Joey Bloggs said:
!!! Losers.
swiss cheese? I don't get it, my brain is swiss cheese at the moment!

!!! Losers.
Joey Bloggs said:
!!! Losers.
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
!!! Losers.
Swiss cheese is what Swirt calls threads that we post then go back and edit later (ie leaving big gaps which make no sense to someon jus coming to the thread). Many times those who reply look silly as the orig thread has been altered, but in some cases best to remove any pertinent info that could be found online.

!!! Losers.
Joey Bloggs said:
!!! Losers.
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
!!! Losers.
Swiss cheese is what Swirt calls threads that we post then go back and edit later (ie leaving big gaps which make no sense to someon jus coming to the thread). Many times those who reply look silly as the orig thread has been altered, but in some cases best to remove any pertinent info that could be found online.
I thought that he said you can't edit if there is a reply.

pita.gif

Whatever buddy, it ain't your first rodeo. Good for you for remaining professional and cool headed. Do it all dispassionately in writing. I'm super glad you charged the whole thing, because they would have given you this much grief just for the deposit too. Sounds like big time losers all the way around.
How's this for the exact opposite of your situation? Last weekend had a couple booked for 3 nights, had to cancel just before arrival because their dog was diagnosed with cancer. Not a word about cost, sorry to have to cancel at the last minute, hope to rebook. We ended up re-selling two of the three nights so I was able to refund him partially, but before I could even email to tell him that he rebooked today, for 4 nights next month, in a larger room, leaving a second deposit because he just assumed the first one was lost. So HE got a discount.
I had a chap like that what a poppet called him to ask when he was arriving as wanted to pop to the shops no answer till about 8pm said he was terribly sorry but he had food poisoning and wasn't going to be able to make it. I explained that I would have to charge him but would do a small discount as wouldn't have to chamber maid the room or breakfast. He said and I quote "you should charge in full as you have a business to run"!!!! still did him a discount but its nice to hear that someone gets it!!!!

pita.gif

I had a chap like that what a poppet called him to ask when he was arriving as wanted to pop to the shops no answer till about 8pm said he was terribly sorry but he had food poisoning and wasn't going to be able to make it. I explained that I would have to charge him but would do a small discount as wouldn't have to chamber maid the room or breakfast. He said and I quote "you should charge in full as you have a business to run"!!!! still did him a discount but its nice to hear that someone gets it!!!!
Maybe it shouldn't, but when they approach me in this manner it makes all the difference in the world to me. I'd have discounted too.

Back