Please Weigh In On This One

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received a phone call from the dog people. The threats were flying! Says to DH, "You're messing with the wrong people, pal". DH starts to get upset, so I take the phone. Very calmly I tell him that since they were not able to compromise, that he can dispute it with his credit card company, but we weren't going to do this over the phone. In a threatening tone, he says it's illegal to charge their credit card without their permission like he's going to sue us and also threatens bad reviews.
The bumpy road just got full of potholes. We're going to hang on tight!.
pita.gif

Whatever buddy, it ain't your first rodeo. Good for you for remaining professional and cool headed. Do it all dispassionately in writing. I'm super glad you charged the whole thing, because they would have given you this much grief just for the deposit too. Sounds like big time losers all the way around.
How's this for the exact opposite of your situation? Last weekend had a couple booked for 3 nights, had to cancel just before arrival because their dog was diagnosed with cancer. Not a word about cost, sorry to have to cancel at the last minute, hope to rebook. We ended up re-selling two of the three nights so I was able to refund him partially, but before I could even email to tell him that he rebooked today, for 4 nights next month, in a larger room, leaving a second deposit because he just assumed the first one was lost. So HE got a discount.
I had a chap like that what a poppet called him to ask when he was arriving as wanted to pop to the shops no answer till about 8pm said he was terribly sorry but he had food poisoning and wasn't going to be able to make it. I explained that I would have to charge him but would do a small discount as wouldn't have to chamber maid the room or breakfast. He said and I quote "you should charge in full as you have a business to run"!!!! still did him a discount but its nice to hear that someone gets it!!!!
Maybe it shouldn't, but when they approach me in this manner it makes all the difference in the world to me. I'd have discounted too.
Don Draper said:
Maybe it shouldn't, but when they approach me in this manner it makes all the difference in the world to me. I'd have discounted too.
I agree. And I know One Day is shaking his head confused as all get out right now. I told someone the other day, we had a cancellation for our suite and upgraded some other guests. The cancellation called and was apologetic for the last minute cancellation, he did not DEMAND he not pay for the room, since his m-i-l was in her last hours. It was totally how he approached it, which was 100% truthful, and I did not charge him a penny. and I hope to see them another time...
OTOH I had this same weekend a couple call to cancel - legit reason he had to work last minute on Friday. They held me on the phone as he yelled in the background "You TELL them..." and they bantered back and forth within my earshot, I was not pleased. Amazingly enough, given they would forfeit their deposit - they made it work, they got here at 8pm and it all worked out.
Two rooms same weekend - two different innkeeper responses from this innkeeper.

I just received a phone call from the dog people. The threats were flying! Says to DH, "You're messing with the wrong people, pal". DH starts to get upset, so I take the phone. Very calmly I tell him that since they were not able to compromise, that he can dispute it with his credit card company, but we weren't going to do this over the phone. In a threatening tone, he says it's illegal to charge their credit card without their permission like he's going to sue us and also threatens bad reviews.
The bumpy road just got full of potholes. We're going to hang on tight!.
pita.gif

Whatever buddy, it ain't your first rodeo. Good for you for remaining professional and cool headed. Do it all dispassionately in writing. I'm super glad you charged the whole thing, because they would have given you this much grief just for the deposit too. Sounds like big time losers all the way around.
How's this for the exact opposite of your situation? Last weekend had a couple booked for 3 nights, had to cancel just before arrival because their dog was diagnosed with cancer. Not a word about cost, sorry to have to cancel at the last minute, hope to rebook. We ended up re-selling two of the three nights so I was able to refund him partially, but before I could even email to tell him that he rebooked today, for 4 nights next month, in a larger room, leaving a second deposit because he just assumed the first one was lost. So HE got a discount.
I had a chap like that what a poppet called him to ask when he was arriving as wanted to pop to the shops no answer till about 8pm said he was terribly sorry but he had food poisoning and wasn't going to be able to make it. I explained that I would have to charge him but would do a small discount as wouldn't have to chamber maid the room or breakfast. He said and I quote "you should charge in full as you have a business to run"!!!! still did him a discount but its nice to hear that someone gets it!!!!
Don Draper said:
I agree. And I know One Day is shaking his head confused as all get out right now. I told someone the other day, we had a cancellation for our suite and upgraded some other guests. The cancellation called and was apologetic for the last minute cancellation, he did not DEMAND he not pay for the room, since his m-i-l was in her last hours. It was totally how he approached it, which was 100% truthful, and I did not charge him a penny. and I hope to see them another time...
OTOH I had this same weekend a couple call to cancel - legit reason he had to work last minute on Friday. They held me on the phone as he yelled in the background "You TELL them..." and they bantered back and forth within my earshot, I was not pleased. Amazingly enough, given they would forfeit their deposit - they made it work, they got here at 8pm and it all worked out.
Two rooms same weekend - two different innkeeper responses from this innkeeper.
Ya'll to soft..... :)
How's about an exercise ?
take a 2 month period....6/13/11 to 8/13/11
Write down and chart when you disregarded your policies....gave a discount, when one wasn't necessary........omitted a charge, when one should have.....waived any fees or charges.
Total it up at the end of the 2 months......or weekly.
Heck.......just do it for one month.

Well, the review has already hit TA. I post here annonymously, but most of you regulars know who I am and my inn. Go to TA and check out the review. It's bad, but it's the first time that they took any responsibility for anything. Said they were shocked when we charged the balance since I told them I would keep just the deposit (of course they told me that night they would dispute even that).
I'm now formulating my response and I think it will be quite easy to turn the tables on them without looking like the bitchy innkeeper. They kept calling US hostile and she feared for her safety. LOL
Well, time to start the creative juices flowing for my management response!

Well, the review has already hit TA. I post here annonymously, but most of you regulars know who I am and my inn. Go to TA and check out the review. It's bad, but it's the first time that they took any responsibility for anything. Said they were shocked when we charged the balance since I told them I would keep just the deposit (of course they told me that night they would dispute even that).
I'm now formulating my response and I think it will be quite easy to turn the tables on them without looking like the bitchy innkeeper. They kept calling US hostile and she feared for her safety. LOL
Well, time to start the creative juices flowing for my management response!.
Totally OFF topic, but just to demonstrate what a complete piece of junk TA is...I wrote a very complimentary review, complete with personal photos, of the hotel we stayed in for our trip last week. I wrote is on Friday last week and it is still not up. Don't tell ME they don't emphasize the bad. JERKS.

Totally OFF topic, but just to demonstrate what a complete piece of junk TA is...I wrote a very complimentary review, complete with personal photos, of the hotel we stayed in for our trip last week. I wrote is on Friday last week and it is still not up. Don't tell ME they don't emphasize the bad. JERKS.
Don Draper said:
Well, that may explain why we haven't had a review in yonks. It's been 3 months and we've certainy had guests in that time.

Well I just read it and had a laugh about the worried about my safety part, that really showed who they are to anyone who reads it. BD I hope you reply is not point by point, but short and sweet to let them stand on their own ridiculous review, love the fact she said it was "partly her fault" "We brought our dogs to stay in the car at night" so there ya go!
I think they couldn't have written a better one that makes THEM look foolish!

Don Draper said:
You're absolutely right DD. They had to have written this review the same day (Monday) they called us because they realized we had charged the full amount.That was also the conversation where the threats of bad reviews were thrown at us. Their review was posted THE NEXT DAY!! What do you want to bet my management response with take weeks.

Don Draper said:
You're absolutely right DD. They had to have written this review the same day (Monday) they called us because they realized we had charged the full amount.That was also the conversation where the threats of bad reviews were thrown at us. Their review was posted THE NEXT DAY!! What do you want to bet my management response with take weeks.
This really chaps my hide. What a fraudulent and completely unaccountable company.

Be sure in your reply you point out the many compromises you tried to make with them and how they were having none of it. You did your best in the situation, and they got ugly from the first.
I'm seriously trying to envision what an 11 pm parking lot interaction between us and our guests would look like...I think your folks got off VERY EASY!

Well I just read it and had a laugh about the worried about my safety part, that really showed who they are to anyone who reads it. BD I hope you reply is not point by point, but short and sweet to let them stand on their own ridiculous review, love the fact she said it was "partly her fault" "We brought our dogs to stay in the car at night" so there ya go!
I was shocked that she admited ANY fault!They had never done so until that review. I really had to laugh when they wrote about "the man" that came cursing out the door chasing our obviously distressed dog. They really made our case for us!! LOL I finished my response last night, but I'm sitting on it until later today so I can edit it a bit with a little hindsight. You're right JB, not point by point. I mentioned that we were not the hostile ones and how we tried to solve the situation, but they refused any compromise.
This is now our 4th terrible review over many years. All of them have happened because the guests tried to threaten us with a bad review if we followed through with our policies and they lie, lie, lie on the reviews . Over and over, guests comment about how wonderful our reviews are even though there are a few bad apples. Don't let a bad review paralyze you with fear so you don't stand up for yourselves. Today I'm feeling very empowered!
teeth_smile.gif

I was shocked that she admited ANY fault!They had never done so until that review. I really had to laugh when they wrote about "the man" that came cursing out the door chasing our obviously distressed dog. They really made our case for us!! LOL I finished my response last night, but I'm sitting on it until later today so I can edit it a bit with a little hindsight. You're right JB, not point by point. I mentioned that we were not the hostile ones and how we tried to solve the situation, but they refused any compromise.
This is now our 4th terrible review over many years. All of them have happened because the guests tried to threaten us with a bad review if we followed through with our policies and they lie, lie, lie on the reviews . Over and over, guests comment about how wonderful our reviews are even though there are a few bad apples. Don't let a bad review paralyze you with fear so you don't stand up for yourselves. Today I'm feeling very empowered!
teeth_smile.gif

I would clearly say you state very clearly dogs cannot be in the car due to the nature of your dog and how it is "horribly distressed" by other dogs. Im betting 11pm is after usual check in ie "against policy" and am taking this opportunity to make other future guests aware that Blah Blah their dogs etc. Also would maybe say feel responsible dog owners should make appropriate arrangements for their animals. etc. Ie implying that they wern't as they were leaving their dogs in the car! you will get all the responsible dog owners on your side!

teeth_smile.gif

and here I am with this visual of you in your bathrobe and curlers at 11pm like that Agnes the innkeeper. She might be scary to some people, but typically most innkeepers are not the scary type.
Amen there are always a few bad apples, everywhere in every situation. Relatives, work place, restaurants, I mean wherever you go there are those irritating people who spoil it for everyone else. Heck even on this forum! A certain Toad comes to mind who was pure rotten on this forum a few years ago.
Its all part of life and how we deal with them makes all the difference. Thank you for making us aware of the LATE CHECK IN "might be a dog or two in the room or in the car" trick.

I'm afraid that I can't read it, since I don't know the name of your inn.
I would seperately make TripAdvisor know that they threatend you with a bad review if you charged them and if you have email to back anything up, offer to send it to the dispute department.
You may want to say that several compromises were attempted, in spite of your clearly stated polices, including offer to pay for half the boarding costs of the dogs after they refused the simple request to move their car further on the property and away from your distressed dog.
The more than your MR makes them sound like idiots the less willing they may be to leave it up. Especially if it contains damning legal evidence that you can use with the credit card company to dispute the charge. You might want to point that out, so that they think twice about leaving what they posted posted (though printing a dated copy for your records will work in any case.

teeth_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
Over and over, guests comment about how wonderful our reviews are even though there are a few bad apples. Don't let a bad review paralyze you with fear so you don't stand up for yourselves. Today I'm feeling very empowered!
teeth_smile.gif
Good for you! We must have backbones. With a good response most people will read right through the bad review and with the many good reviews out there it does look like sour grapes.

Post edited out. Thank you to a forum member who e-mailed to inform me that if someone responds to a post you did, you can't go back and edit that specific post. I had no idea! Now JB's "swiss cheese" comment makes sense to me.

teeth_smile.gif

You should be! I'm proud of you. And FWIW, as a traveler who does read reviews to try to get a sense of the place, a few really bad ones mixed in with all the glowing actually tend to make me believe the glowing ones more. PLUS, they're entertaining! Hence TA's policy of putting them up right away, I suppose...

teeth_smile.gif

I read their review on TA. I think your management response does need to be short & sweet, but I think you need to clarify what your dog is like and your pet policies. What kinda jumped out at me as a potential guest is that you might have a dog that also does not do well with guests. This wouldn't bode well for prospective guests who are afraid of pets. Just my 2 cents....

WOW!!!!!!! TA posted my management response in less than 24 hours! I submitted it around 4:00 yesterday afternoon and I just looked at 8:00am it's it's already there! I also reported to TA that we were threatened by the guests that if we didn't give them their deposit back they would slam us. I don't expect TA to do anything, but their owner's guidlines say if that happens, we can report it.

WOW!!!!!!! TA posted my management response in less than 24 hours! I submitted it around 4:00 yesterday afternoon and I just looked at 8:00am it's it's already there! I also reported to TA that we were threatened by the guests that if we didn't give them their deposit back they would slam us. I don't expect TA to do anything, but their owner's guidlines say if that happens, we can report it..
Great reply. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

I know that this response is a bit late but one way you all can handle the no pet issue is to say the following in your policies.
"We do not allow guest pets anywhere on our property including our parking lot."
This would mean the guest couldn't bring them in the house or have them in their car on your parking lot.
If they chose to park on a public street, that is out of your hands.
Unfortunately, guests love to take advantage of the good nature of innkeepers. They get upset when we stand pat and enforce our rules. Threatening and innkeeper, just makes us more resolved to enforce the policies. It is just a pain that we have to deal with guests on TA that do lie. The best policy is to always document what happened right away in their reservation so that you don't have any lapse in memory of what went on.

Back