Poached eggs?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
regarding the bacon issue.....
What if a guest is put off by the way you prepared it?.........some like it crispy, some do not?
Would you prepare it pre-crispy.....if they want it more....put back in the pan?
But....you wouldn't have this problem with sausage?.....or do you?
regarding sausage.....anyone make their own?.
One Day said:
What if a guest is put off by the way you prepared it?.........some like it crispy, some do not?
Would you prepare it pre-crispy.....if they want it more....put back in the pan?
regarding sausage.....anyone make their own?
Others don't do this, but I ask a guest if they even want the meat portion of the breakfast. THAT is when I hear, 'I like my bacon burnt,' in which case I take the prepped bacon and nuke it. So, yes, the bacon is just this side of 'done' and we hot hold it until guests come to brekkie which generally cooks it up to a medium doneness. There's no going back at that point, tho. If it's 'too' done it's 'too' bad. Bacon is too hard to cook in the morning with all the other stuff that's going on in the kitchen. Now if we had a professional range with a griddle built in, altogether a different story.

One Day said:
Others don't do this, but I ask a guest if they even want the meat portion of the breakfast. THAT is when I hear, 'I like my bacon burnt,' in which case I take the prepped bacon and nuke it. So, yes, the bacon is just this side of 'done' and we hot hold it until guests come to brekkie which generally cooks it up to a medium doneness. There's no going back at that point, tho. If it's 'too' done it's 'too' bad. Bacon is too hard to cook in the morning with all the other stuff that's going on in the kitchen. Now if we had a professional range with a griddle built in, altogether a different story.
Bree said:
So, yes, the bacon is just this side of 'done' and we hot hold it until guests come to brekkie which generally cooks it up to a medium doneness. There's no going back at that point, tho. If it's 'too' done it's 'too' bad.
We do the same - fry it on the stovetop ahead of time and hot-hold it. DH used to make it too well done and it would cook more in the warmer - he's backed off a bit so it's done medium to medium-well but not super crispy. If someone tells us they want it more done we can do that. But our bacon rarely gets left on the plate.
Sausage we do the same way, except we pre-cook it in the oven. Then we brown it to sear it and heat it for serving. We don't make our own but we get it from a local source. Bacon is sourced locally, also.

One Day said:
Bree said:
So, yes, the bacon is just this side of 'done' and we hot hold it until guests come to brekkie which generally cooks it up to a medium doneness. There's no going back at that point, tho. If it's 'too' done it's 'too' bad.
We do the same - fry it on the stovetop ahead of time and hot-hold it. DH used to make it too well done and it would cook more in the warmer - he's backed off a bit so it's done medium to medium-well but not super crispy. If someone tells us they want it more done we can do that. But our bacon rarely gets left on the plate.
Sausage we do the same way, except we pre-cook it in the oven. Then we brown it to sear it and heat it for serving. We don't make our own but we get it from a local source. Bacon is sourced locally, also.
muirford said:
Bree said:
I think it was Sea Shanty who suggested cooking the bacon in the oven. We do that and the bacon comes out perfect every time. BTW we serve peppered bacon and our guests go nuts over it especially when we serve it with biscuits and gravy.

One Day said:
Bree said:
muirford said:
Bree said:
I think it was Sea Shanty who suggested cooking the bacon in the oven. We do that and the bacon comes out perfect every time. BTW we serve peppered bacon and our guests go nuts over it especially when we serve it with biscuits and gravy.
Yes, we do bacon in the oven too.....on parchment paper, about half an hour at 350, take it out about halfway and turn it over. You can dredge it, pepper it, do whatever....way easier and cleaner than trying to fry for a full house...especially since main dish and potatoes are also done in the oven.

My guests love Eggs Benedict. I just ask them how they like the eggs cooked - soft or hard. Some like them almost hard-boiled. I think it may have to do with the recent samonella outbreaks and people are afraid of undercooked eggs..
SweetiePie said:
My guests love Eggs Benedict. I just ask them how they like the eggs cooked - soft or hard. Some like them almost hard-boiled. I think it may have to do with the recent samonella outbreaks and people are afraid of undercooked eggs.
Thanks. That's one of the things I was wondering about...how to approach the egg 'hardness'.
I went out for brunch yesterday and had a wonderful soft shell crab Eggs Benedict. How the waitress put it to me was - we poach our eggs medium, is that OK. - They were soft but not runny.
Oh Oh Oh Oh ...... I ADORE soft shell crabs. I would have to say they are my number one favorite thing - ie - if they are a menu, I'm not even going to look at anything else.
As for the question at hand - I offer "short order" in addition to my special and enjoy poaching eggs. Generally when people specifically request them, they are looking for the classic set white and runny yolk.

YUCK, undercooked eggs!! I do not like anything undercooked. To ME undercooked is eggs that are runny or jiggly or meat this is the slightest pink. I like my bacon crispy and my toast crunchy too!.
We are on the same page! Meat and eggs are supposed to be COOKED! I hate whippy bacon.
gillumhouse said:
We are on the same page! Meat and eggs are supposed to be COOKED! I hate whippy bacon.
I like my eggs over HARD.....I mean shoe leather hard! Oily limp bacon......Oh puleez!
You mean committing Ritual Eggicide .... I have a few sets of "repeats" that like their eggs scrambled or over HARD. Every time someone orders hard eggs I get the same "song" in my brain ........ it's sung to the tune of The Pink Panther ....
Dead Eggs, Dead Eggs, Dead Eggs, Dead Eggs, Dead Eggs ......
I do take my eggs seriously - it's one of those comfort food things that needs to be done exactly as requested. Another repeat tells me that I'm the only person he knows that understands what over medium means. Of course he tells the whole dining room which puts me into a panic because "failure is not an option".

YUCK, undercooked eggs!! I do not like anything undercooked. To ME undercooked is eggs that are runny or jiggly or meat this is the slightest pink. I like my bacon crispy and my toast crunchy too!.
gillumhouse said:
I like my eggs over HARD.....I mean shoe leather hard! Oily limp bacon......Oh puleez!
You mean committing Ritual Eggicide .... I have a few sets of "repeats" that like their eggs scrambled or over HARD. Every time someone orders hard eggs I get the same "song" in my brain ........ it's sung to the tune of The Pink Panther ....
Dead Eggs, Dead Eggs, Dead Eggs, Dead Eggs, Dead Eggs ......
I do take my eggs seriously - it's one of those comfort food things that needs to be done exactly as requested. Another repeat tells me that I'm the only person he knows that understands what over medium means. Of course he tells the whole dining room which puts me into a panic because "failure is not an option".
I like my eggs over hard....and I like them even better when the whites are brown and crispy....yumm. But, I like my bacon not limp, but definitely not crispy...go figure!

I've been making my own sausage meat about a year and a half....I don't find the ground pork in stores all that often.......then again.....when I want it....can't find it.....you know those situations.
I do get the Big pork tenderloins from costco......love smoking them.......anyway.....I recently picked up the griding attachment for the KitcenAid mixer.....

gillumhouse said:
My step dad liked runny eggs and sloppy bacon, made me want to puke to watch him eat it! SOOOOO GROOOOOOSSSSS!
I like the flavor of an undercooked yolk, but the texture.... disgusting!!!!!! I'm with you, before going veg...bacon cooked this side of burnt!
Willowpondgj said:
My step dad liked runny eggs and sloppy bacon, made me want to puke to watch him eat it! SOOOOO GROOOOOOSSSSS!
I like the flavor of an undercooked yolk, but the texture.... disgusting!!!!!! I'm with you, before going veg...bacon cooked this side of burnt!
Serve it with raw biscuit dough.

gillumhouse said:
Willowpondgj said:
Serve it with raw biscuit dough.

One Day said:
Bree said:
muirford said:
Bree said:
Before you bake it, sprinkle a little brown sugar and pepper on it. Fabulous!

Around St. Patty's Day we do a poached egg atop corned beef hash. We pre-poach the eggs, hold them in ice water and submerge them back in hot water to rewarm just before serving.

Back