Poached eggs?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Does anyone (or everyone) serve poached eggs? How do they go over? Do you get more 'no thanks' when they're on the menu or do guests really like them?
Sauce?
Accompaniment?

I've stopped serving any dish where the egg yolk shows. It's really weird. I used to do eggs benedict, many people wouldn't eat them. An oven baked egg where you crack the egg in the individual dish, nope...a lot of people wouldn't eat them. I dunno...maybe it's my location. I found a recipe for an egg benedict type dish where you mix it all up, pour the hollandaise over and whammo! Everybody eats it! Too weird.

I do serve Eggs Benedict occasionally, not nearly as much as I use to but mainly due to the issues of the sauce - needs timely guests! When it is served, most guests will eat it fine, but there are those that will eat all but the yoke of the egg... What is so funny is that they do all they can to get every drop of the Hollandise sauce but leave the yoke... My Hollandise sauce recipe calls for 3 egg yokes per 4 servings... If they only knew...

I've stopped serving any dish where the egg yolk shows. It's really weird. I used to do eggs benedict, many people wouldn't eat them. An oven baked egg where you crack the egg in the individual dish, nope...a lot of people wouldn't eat them. I dunno...maybe it's my location. I found a recipe for an egg benedict type dish where you mix it all up, pour the hollandaise over and whammo! Everybody eats it! Too weird..
Not all that weird, I've had quite a few 'no eggs' lately and what they really meant was, 'nothing that looks like an egg'. It could be in pancakes or FT, but not if it LOOKED like egg (scrambled, fried, quiche).
We're thinking of trying poached eggs. If we got a 'no thanks' because of the 'egginess' then we could do the same dish with scrambled eggs, no yolks showing.

My guests love Eggs Benedict. I just ask them how they like the eggs cooked - soft or hard. Some like them almost hard-boiled. I think it may have to do with the recent samonella outbreaks and people are afraid of undercooked eggs.

We regularly do baked eggs, in addition to soft-boiled eggs. We pay special attention to the cooking times, though, and never serve any egg dish that's the slight bit runny. The soft-boiled eggs are tricky, but they've been well received.
We try to alternate between sweet and savory breakfasts, esp. for those guests who are here for 2 or more nights.

My guests love Eggs Benedict. I just ask them how they like the eggs cooked - soft or hard. Some like them almost hard-boiled. I think it may have to do with the recent samonella outbreaks and people are afraid of undercooked eggs..
SweetiePie said:
My guests love Eggs Benedict. I just ask them how they like the eggs cooked - soft or hard. Some like them almost hard-boiled. I think it may have to do with the recent samonella outbreaks and people are afraid of undercooked eggs.
Thanks. That's one of the things I was wondering about...how to approach the egg 'hardness'.

Ha, what timing. I just finished reading this thread and turned the tv on. Of course it was already on the Food Network. Emeril was cooking breakfast and did a shirred egg dish. It looked great. It's got the whole egg in it. Easy cooking too. Check it out on their website if you're looking for a good new individual egg dish and your folks don't mind egg yolks.

YUCK, undercooked eggs!! I do not like anything undercooked. To ME undercooked is eggs that are runny or jiggly or meat this is the slightest pink. I like my bacon crispy and my toast crunchy too!

we do herbed butter poached eggs on crostinis with a tomato coulis. a couple spears of roasted asparagus, a few grape tomatoes, sliced in 1/2 laid alongside & shredded fresh parmesan over the top. guests love this dish, it's very popular.the eggs are poached in ramekins so as to give them shape.

YUCK, undercooked eggs!! I do not like anything undercooked. To ME undercooked is eggs that are runny or jiggly or meat this is the slightest pink. I like my bacon crispy and my toast crunchy too!.
We are on the same page! Meat and eggs are supposed to be COOKED! I hate whippy bacon.

We only offer a few egg dishes where the eggs aren't either scrambled or as an omelet, so its usually the typical over easy or sunny side up when asked for a preference.
She does a variation of huevos rancheros, but instead of tortillas being the bottom layer, it is a masa pancake that are very light and fluffy with all the other toppings piled on. I honestly can't remember the last guest to ask for poached on that dish.
Any health nuts we get generally ask for oatmeal, yogurt and fruit if they don't want either of the two entrees we offer each day.
Personally, unless I'm really sick and can't keep anything else down, poached eggs are too much like eating snot, and those days ended when I hit three or four.

Poached eggs are one of our most popular dishes. I have the egg poacher from Williams-Sonoma and it works great. The eggs cook to perfection in 4 minutes. I usually serve them on a slice of ham, on grilled English muffins with a side of home fries. Very few want the hollandaise sauce.

YUCK, undercooked eggs!! I do not like anything undercooked. To ME undercooked is eggs that are runny or jiggly or meat this is the slightest pink. I like my bacon crispy and my toast crunchy too!.
We are on the same page! Meat and eggs are supposed to be COOKED! I hate whippy bacon.
gillumhouse said:
I like my eggs over HARD.....I mean shoe leather hard! Oily limp bacon......Oh puleez!

regarding the bacon issue.....
What if a guest is put off by the way you prepared it?.........some like it crispy, some do not?
Would you prepare it pre-crispy.....if they want it more....put back in the pan?
But....you wouldn't have this problem with sausage?.....or do you?
regarding sausage.....anyone make their own?

My guests love Eggs Benedict. I just ask them how they like the eggs cooked - soft or hard. Some like them almost hard-boiled. I think it may have to do with the recent samonella outbreaks and people are afraid of undercooked eggs..
SweetiePie said:
Thanks. That's one of the things I was wondering about...how to approach the egg 'hardness'.
I went out for brunch yesterday and had a wonderful soft shell crab Eggs Benedict. How the waitress put it to me was - we poach our eggs medium, is that OK. - They were soft but not runny.

What if a guest is put off by the way you prepared it?.........some like it crispy, some do not?
Would you prepare it pre-crispy.....if they want it more....put back in the pan?
regarding sausage.....anyone make their own?.
I have some venison sausage my son-in-law gets made for me. He calls every year ro ask if I want a deer and then he calls to ask how I want it processed. This year it was - after the tenderloins and a few small roasts were taken, 1/3 brats, 1/3 sausage, and the rest ground. Good tasting susage - and I only serve it after asking if they eat venison.

I've stopped serving any dish where the egg yolk shows. It's really weird. I used to do eggs benedict, many people wouldn't eat them. An oven baked egg where you crack the egg in the individual dish, nope...a lot of people wouldn't eat them. I dunno...maybe it's my location. I found a recipe for an egg benedict type dish where you mix it all up, pour the hollandaise over and whammo! Everybody eats it! Too weird..
We ask our guests "scrambled or over" when serving eggs benedict. I'd say 50/50.
C

regarding sausage.....anyone make their own?.
I nuke our bacon first, then finish pan frying. I like mine crisp, and serve it that way. If they don't like it, then the dachshunds get it later.
We serve precooked sausage. I don't want to be the one serving sausage that is pink inside. I like eggs both scrambled and over with the whites fully cooked. Yeah, soft egg whites, YUCK!

gillumhouse said:
I like my eggs over HARD.....I mean shoe leather hard! Oily limp bacon......Oh puleez!
My step dad liked runny eggs and sloppy bacon, made me want to puke to watch him eat it! SOOOOO GROOOOOOSSSSS!
I like the flavor of an undercooked yolk, but the texture.... disgusting!!!!!! I'm with you, before going veg...bacon cooked this side of burnt!

Back