Podunk? Destination?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbinnsitters

Reaction score
Thought I'd start another thread on this topic since we all got a little side tracked!
Has anyone ever heard of a destination B&B?! Some people go to B&B's just to go to the B&B!!! You could be in the middle of podunk but you don't care - you walk thru the doors and voila! you are in a wonderful place with wonderful hosts (hopefully) and life is good!
I just got back from a job in a not so nice area and when Mother and daughter couldn't find anything to do outside they hung out in the B&B and we all had a wonderful time! They then booked their family reunion for July!
I also did a job in a town of 120 in IL!!! Yes, 120! Obviously it is in a town where people want to go so the B&B is thriving - only one in town of course! You just need to market yourself the proper way! Figure out why people would want to come to your place and then work it!

The first B&B we ever stayed in (and have stayed several times since) is in Northern SC, and the town is nothing, but the Inn is a beautiful (haunted) 10,000 square foot antebellum Georgian Revival. Four rooms, great breakfast, veranda, desserts in the evening. She will also cook a wonderful multi-course dinner for (2) for $80.00.
Town itself has no good restaurants, is dry, has no real attractions, just a Subway and Pizza Hut for chains. But, her location is close to Charlotte, Greenville and Spartansburg. Right between Charleston and Asheville. Love that place.
She is definitely a destination Inn!

yes, there is a b&b in new hampshire that i convinced my late husband to stay at with me. it was not convenient AT ALL to my stepson's school, the website (in my opinion) is awful ... but the room prices were (and still are) low ... advertised as 25 to 50% lower than other places, it was always sold out on weekends, and it advertised ROMANCE. it's in a little tiny town with a general store ... that was it ... when we were there. they promote the romance and the scenery you can drive to, and all the other places TO DRIVE TO from there.
... it got us there!

I was on the forum on a Saturday after serving breakfast and declared loudly "WE ARE A DESTINATION!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" We had an entire houseful of guests here to be HERE at this B&B. It blew me away!
We can have some of all reasons to stay here, but that day it was all for the B&B. I will say though, it was a 20 something to early 30's crowd that was here for the "destination." I did note that. I think I took a photo! I should go find it!
wink_smile.gif

One of my MABB members near here is a destination inn. She is in the country although near a "big city" and nearer to a small town, she has a pond, many, many acres of property for folks to hike on, and is just a beautiful, restful and romantic place. She knew when she opened she would not be over-run with business because she IS the destination. She has 2 rooms and a gorgeous place.
My claim as a tourist destination is that I know where things are and created directions to them, making them into packages so gueasts just show up and I have it laid out for them.

I was on the forum on a Saturday after serving breakfast and declared loudly "WE ARE A DESTINATION!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" We had an entire houseful of guests here to be HERE at this B&B. It blew me away!
We can have some of all reasons to stay here, but that day it was all for the B&B. I will say though, it was a 20 something to early 30's crowd that was here for the "destination." I did note that. I think I took a photo! I should go find it!
wink_smile.gif
Yes, another GREAT reason to have a phenomonal website and to saturate the web with it. Often couples come (the younger, the more often) and say they are not familiar with the area, booked here because they liked our website...then they look over all the information to see what there is to do!
Cracks me up sometimes how people make their way here....

The first B&B we ever stayed in (and have stayed several times since) is in Northern SC, and the town is nothing, but the Inn is a beautiful (haunted) 10,000 square foot antebellum Georgian Revival. Four rooms, great breakfast, veranda, desserts in the evening. She will also cook a wonderful multi-course dinner for (2) for $80.00.
Town itself has no good restaurants, is dry, has no real attractions, just a Subway and Pizza Hut for chains. But, her location is close to Charlotte, Greenville and Spartansburg. Right between Charleston and Asheville. Love that place.
She is definitely a destination Inn!.
I may one day ask you for that B&B's name the next time I go down to Asheville - make a little side trip - sounds intriguing!

We have a sign in our office that says- Kalaekilohana is a destination bed and breakfast! While we are busy building a word of mouth business, we are also busy creating a destination.

We are neither in Podunk nor a destination. There are a bunch of new hotels/motels being built here. I'm afraid that they will undercut all of the B&Bs here and they will soon be a thing of the past. It's hard to compete with suite style hotels with pools and complimentary breakfasts that are $79/night that are geared for the majority of the travelers that visit this town. I just finished reading some posts on our city's forum on TA and people were raving about hotel rooms as low as $59/night. A quality B&B can't match that price and I wouldn't want to.

We are neither in Podunk nor a destination. There are a bunch of new hotels/motels being built here. I'm afraid that they will undercut all of the B&Bs here and they will soon be a thing of the past. It's hard to compete with suite style hotels with pools and complimentary breakfasts that are $79/night that are geared for the majority of the travelers that visit this town. I just finished reading some posts on our city's forum on TA and people were raving about hotel rooms as low as $59/night. A quality B&B can't match that price and I wouldn't want to..
"It's hard to compete with suite style hotels with pools and complimentary breakfasts that are $79/night that are geared for the majority of the travelers that visit this town."
This is what I am hearing from some long time innkeepers who's town is now being inundated with these hotels. Their business is suffering big time. They have been at it for over 20 years and I am fearful for them now. Theirs is a very nice place, but they CANNOT compete with this. If they try to sell, I don't think they will get any takers. One inn has already been auctioned off:-(

We are neither in Podunk nor a destination. There are a bunch of new hotels/motels being built here. I'm afraid that they will undercut all of the B&Bs here and they will soon be a thing of the past. It's hard to compete with suite style hotels with pools and complimentary breakfasts that are $79/night that are geared for the majority of the travelers that visit this town. I just finished reading some posts on our city's forum on TA and people were raving about hotel rooms as low as $59/night. A quality B&B can't match that price and I wouldn't want to..
I think the larger inns may have more of a problem with the new hotels than the small ones. The people who like B & Bs are looking for rhe service and attention they can get at the small inns.
In the last 13 years, I estimate 1000 to 1500 rooms have been built in this area (Weston to Morgantown - about 40 miles each side of me) and none are newer than 3 years old). My business last year was banner level, this year I am down (I think the hotels are also unless they get conference business). However, I do think there is a place for me in the future. Once people get to the point they know what is happening in their lives. Once the rules stop changing every other month so to speak........

I think the larger inns may have more of a problem with the new hotels than the small ones. The people who like B & Bs are looking for rhe service and attention they can get at the small inns.
In the last 13 years, I estimate 1000 to 1500 rooms have been built in this area (Weston to Morgantown - about 40 miles each side of me) and none are newer than 3 years old). My business last year was banner level, this year I am down (I think the hotels are also unless they get conference business). However, I do think there is a place for me in the future. Once people get to the point they know what is happening in their lives. Once the rules stop changing every other month so to speak........
They have a 15 room inn. Old historic colonial. I think it is lovely...but the truth for them is...people are choosing the chain hotels over them.

I disagree. There are quite a few travelers that are looking under $100. What is "banner level" for you for your business, might not be anywhere near what a lot of innkeepers need to support their property, even if they are small properties. We only have 5 rooms and I need quite a bit of business to cover my overhead and we do all the work except mowing the grass and having a part-time housekeeper a couple of days a week. If the occupancy goes up, you need more help because it's physically impossible to do everything yourself.
The hotels here are doing more business than ever and the b&b occupancies are down. It's strictly a function of price point.

I disagree. There are quite a few travelers that are looking under $100. What is "banner level" for you for your business, might not be anywhere near what a lot of innkeepers need to support their property, even if they are small properties. We only have 5 rooms and I need quite a bit of business to cover my overhead and we do all the work except mowing the grass and having a part-time housekeeper a couple of days a week. If the occupancy goes up, you need more help because it's physically impossible to do everything yourself.
The hotels here are doing more business than ever and the b&b occupancies are down. It's strictly a function of price point.
I do not agree or disagree and I absolutely feel for your situation.
Have you really come to that single conclusion? Is it absolutely a function of price point?

Samster said:
I disagree. The hotels here are doing more business than ever and the b&b occupancies are down. It's strictly a function of price point.
I have seen the same phenomenon here. In a town only ten miles away, two hotels have opened - an HIE and a racino hotel - and the business at the B&Bs there has fallen through the floor. One will be closing for good within a few weeks, after selling at a drastically reduced price to people who will turn into commercial space and apartments. That town is only 5 miles from a national park, where all the B&Bs are doing well this year, and only 10 miles from us, and we are keeping up with last year's numbers. The new hotels have undercut the B&B prices and it's really hurt their business.

It's strictly a function of price point.
That may be so in some areas, but even this year, I have had people who found me on GPS and drove past quite a few hotels and motels to come here for the night - and I did not discount the rate to get them. Full rate.
Bed & Breakfast has had enough of an impact on the lodging industry that the hotels are using the phrase to pull people back to them. I am not only competing with hotels and motels, but I have State Parks and their lodges to contend with. They have much larger marketing budgets than I do and more partners to help pay for that marketing - including the State (many of the lodges are public/private partnerships).
I may not be heating as much and my taxes may not be as high but I cannot charge the rates that some can either. However, my directory listing costs are the same as everyone else, ad costs are the same, utilities are not cheap here either and neither is insurance. We are all, large and small, struggling with the battle of expenses. Part of this struggle is controlled by our own personal lifestyles and what we consider necessary - because what WE consider necessary impacts what we have in our inns for linens, amenities, etc. This also controls what we need to live on and therefore what we need to "make it".

That may be so in some areas, but even this year, I have had people who found me on GPS and drove past quite a few hotels and motels to come here for the night - and I did not discount the rate to get them. Full rate.
Bed & Breakfast has had enough of an impact on the lodging industry that the hotels are using the phrase to pull people back to them. I am not only competing with hotels and motels, but I have State Parks and their lodges to contend with. They have much larger marketing budgets than I do and more partners to help pay for that marketing - including the State (many of the lodges are public/private partnerships).
I may not be heating as much and my taxes may not be as high but I cannot charge the rates that some can either. However, my directory listing costs are the same as everyone else, ad costs are the same, utilities are not cheap here either and neither is insurance. We are all, large and small, struggling with the battle of expenses. Part of this struggle is controlled by our own personal lifestyles and what we consider necessary - because what WE consider necessary impacts what we have in our inns for linens, amenities, etc. This also controls what we need to live on and therefore what we need to "make it".
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif

Samster said:
That is not what the hotels are reporting, they are reporting a loss big time and many inns are reporting keeping their own or increase in revenues. Of course, this may be "resort areas" they are reporting on. As there are indeed less people taking more expensive longer vacations.

I will say more and more are requiring discounts to stay this year than any other, AND there are so many more one nighters on weekends this year in comparison to others.
It's apples and oranges, there is no formula for what works for one or the other. I wish there were! All I know is I am marketing myself to death - but I have never been in a place that people would come to anyway...It sounds crazy, but they would not know about this great part of the country/state.
We all gotta do what we all gotta do!

Samster said:
That is not what the hotels are reporting, they are reporting a loss big time and many inns are reporting keeping their own or increase in revenues. Of course, this may be "resort areas" they are reporting on. As there are indeed less people taking more expensive longer vacations.
Hotels also have much lower "breaking points" for room revenue. When the hotel i worked at in the 80s was charging $60 - $75 per night I asked was was the break even rate since I was empowered to do discounts to get those heads in bed and I did not want to "give away the store". I was told $18.
I never went lower than $25 in the middle of the night in summer with broken/AC so you got a fan but was also know to get full rate at 5 AM when "Mr. Lucky" was so hot he could not keep his hands to himself as they stood at the desk and check-out was noon.
I doubt if there was a B & B in the country - even in the 80s - that had an $18 break even.

Back