Poisoning Guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Perhaps it was subliminal...I saw the bunch of garden mums in the kitchen this morning and thought they would add some nice color to the plates this morning.
Back of my mind I thought, someone will eat them, I better go make sure they are okay.
Nope, poisonous.
So I removed them from the plates...but was tempted to leave them with this hotel crowd this weekend!
whattha.gif

Yes, never put something on a plate that is not edible!!!

oh! i had the coolest goblets that were pewter, i guess lead lined and most likely very very bad to drink out of!! i had them on display until someone wanted to dirnk out of them. had to put them away.

Guest this weekend asked about my fresh herbs & if she could have eaten the fresh mint on the fruit. I thought of you
regular_smile.gif
I told her that I don't put anything on plates, except the paper doilies, that a guest can't eat.
chef.gif

Good call, JBJ!
I've also learned from pastry chefs never to use flowers that were not grown organically, without fertilizers (except food-safe) or pesticides. Even "edible" breeds of flowers can become poisonous with what goes into the soil. And even if they're just for decoration and won't be served (like flowers that are inserted into wedding cakes), the fluids can leech into the food if they are put in direct contact.
Very dangerous to use flowers that are not specifically grown and sold to be edible! Even some florists won't know.
My mother would have been one of those curious guests who'd nibble at ANYTHING put on her plate. Except maybe the doily.

And who would actually use antique Fiestaware in their B & B or daily life? I am referring to the current red Fiestaware. Lots of antique stuff would not pass for use today - not just our beloved West Virginia products.
We differ in that you chose to leave for good and i chose to leave but could not wait to come back. You grew up in town though and I grew up in the country away from everything with Daddy working in the steel mills and on the farm. One thing I notice though, although you do not live in WV, you do live in hills.

red glaze on pottery also contains lead..
Not if it is Fiestaware from West Virginia's Homer Laughlin China!!
Hey you are talking to a gal who has cupboards full of Fiestaware:) My childhood home is right next door to the pottery!!!! I worked there ---as well as every member of my family. One summer was enough to convince me to get back to college and out of town for a life of my own:)
The antique / collectible red ones actually had uranium in the coloring.
a funny thing... I just did a google search on Poisoning guests...and this node is already showing up at the top of GOOGLE!!!! TOO FUNNY!
chef.gif

red glaze on pottery also contains lead..
gillumhouse said:
They also have a red and it is a bright red. Even at the outlet store Fiestaware is out of my price range. I am more the seconds room. Got a nice casserole dish in burgundy (seconds room) in Sept when I was up there for the Gov Conference on Tourism.

And who would actually use antique Fiestaware in their B & B or daily life? I am referring to the current red Fiestaware. Lots of antique stuff would not pass for use today - not just our beloved West Virginia products.
We differ in that you chose to leave for good and i chose to leave but could not wait to come back. You grew up in town though and I grew up in the country away from everything with Daddy working in the steel mills and on the farm. One thing I notice though, although you do not live in WV, you do live in hills..
gillumhouse said:
lrg_Fiesta.jpg

We differ in that you chose to leave for good and i chose to leave but could not wait to come back. You grew up in town though and I grew up in the country away from everything with Daddy working in the steel mills and on the farm. One thing I notice though, although you do not live in WV, you do live in hills.
This is my collection of carafes right above my desk and monitor. Catalina, Fiesta, Bauer...

We differ in that you chose to leave for good and i chose to leave but could not wait to come back. You grew up in town though and I grew up in the country away from everything with Daddy working in the steel mills and on the farm. One thing I notice though, although you do not live in WV, you do live in hills..
gillumhouse said:
lrg_Fiesta.jpg

This is my collection of carafes right above my desk and monitor. Catalina, Fiesta, Bauer...
Neat collwcrion. I am jealous of the shelf space!!

gillumhouse said:
lrg_Fiesta.jpg

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
lrg_Fiesta.jpg

Notice what webpage she has up?
teeth_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
lrg_Fiesta.jpg

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
lrg_Fiesta.jpg

Notice what webpage she has up?
teeth_smile.gif

Good eye, Sherlock. I totally missed that.

Back