Policies - in place for a reason

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I don't WANT the people who insist on real people who will talk 10 minutes with them to make a reservation. Different strokes for different folks. Everybody happy!

I have a different take on it. I am not really in agreement to be inflexible when things are slow.
I also disagree that once you bent your policy, you could not refuse that next request.
During slow times, you can reschedule people if calendar open. But if they cancel, they still owe for the night. Since the CCs usually allow you to charge for one night, that is what I would likely do for myself. People made a booking. If they cancel, they still owe for preventing you from getting another guest for that night.
Try that with the airlines. They work with the customer, but not if it costs them money. That is why there are rebooking and cancellation fees..
It's really not about inflexibility at all. It's about consistency. When you bend policies, procedures, and terms too often, all of a sudden that can become the expectation - especially if this shows up in your reviews. That's a whole other bucket of worms. Guests are now demanding that you offer the same allowances that they've read about in your reviews.
The innkeepers that I've met on this forum are some of the most empathetic and understanding folks I've ever encountered. There certainly needs to be a safe place where they can blow off a little steam, get over it, and then go back to offering a superb B&B experience.
Guests demanding allowances seems to go back to policies. I have rental properties and another business. I do not let customers tell me what I have to do. "There were extenuating circumstances OR conditions of which you were not aware. Now, would you like to complete your booking?"
On the other hand, we need to deal with potential negative reviews.
That is why once I start, I intend to have the phone answer all calls, to screen out robocalls, charity seekers, people who want a lengthy dialogue or many questions before deciding to go eleswhere, demanding guests, and to encourage people to book online. When I listen, unreasonable messages/emails will just be deleted. Too much energy and time wasted, based on reading much feedback on this forum by other innkeepers.
And yet I have heard some innkeepers say they won't do business with Square because they didn't provide a call center, only online help.
Well Square heard that and now has a customer call center M-F (don't remember the times)
People want that option! EACH and every one of us.
Online reservations are great! I love having them come at all hours of the day or night but then there are people, such as the couple that just arrived, who would not have booked here at all if that was the only method.
There are people who do not use the PC every moment of every day. They love speaking with others. Each time this southern gentleman called he asked for me by name (full name, including the Ms.)

I have a different take on it. I am not really in agreement to be inflexible when things are slow.
I also disagree that once you bent your policy, you could not refuse that next request.
During slow times, you can reschedule people if calendar open. But if they cancel, they still owe for the night. Since the CCs usually allow you to charge for one night, that is what I would likely do for myself. People made a booking. If they cancel, they still owe for preventing you from getting another guest for that night.
Try that with the airlines. They work with the customer, but not if it costs them money. That is why there are rebooking and cancellation fees..
It's really not about inflexibility at all. It's about consistency. When you bend policies, procedures, and terms too often, all of a sudden that can become the expectation - especially if this shows up in your reviews. That's a whole other bucket of worms. Guests are now demanding that you offer the same allowances that they've read about in your reviews.
The innkeepers that I've met on this forum are some of the most empathetic and understanding folks I've ever encountered. There certainly needs to be a safe place where they can blow off a little steam, get over it, and then go back to offering a superb B&B experience.
Guests demanding allowances seems to go back to policies. I have rental properties and another business. I do not let customers tell me what I have to do. "There were extenuating circumstances OR conditions of which you were not aware. Now, would you like to complete your booking?"
That is why once I start, I intend to have the phone answer all calls, to screen out robocalls, charity seekers, people who want a lengthy dialogue or many questions before deciding to go eleswhere, demanding guests, and to encourage people to book online. When I listen, unreasonable messages/emails will just be deleted. Too much energy and time wasted, based on reading much feedback on this forum by other innkeepers.
My average completed reservation call is 10 minutes. My average uncompleted reservation call is 30 seconds.
I don't particularly need to talk to guests to see if they are a good fit, but some of them want a little more info after they've made the reservation.
The exception to this was the daffy family that called 30 times and continued to call after deciding to stay elsewhere. It's amusing now.
Answering the phone and being the voice of the business is part of the job. Imagine wanting to buy a product but you need a simple question answered before completing the purchase and all you get is a voice message saying buy online or leave a message and we'll call you back. The better thing would be a text. Text your question to...
Not that I would text, I'd move on to the place that pleasantly answered the phone.
Yes, and we've been told that many many many times: We called ABC Inn and they had an answering machine, we want a B&B that will personally answer the phone.
The Smurfs get the resi, ABC Inn doesn't even get a message.
Momma Smurf said:
Yes, and we've been told that many many many times: We called ABC Inn and they had an answering machine, we want a B&B that will personally answer the phone.
Sometimes I think we live in a backwater! So many guests say no one answers the phone any longer.
I just made a reservation at a hotel and their phone system is painful. You get thru to a real person right away but then they can't take a rez and you go into the seventh circle of hell. Anytime I have the option of saying something I ask for 'associate' and don't bother with the computer.
They're very nice in person but the phone system is awful.
I look at the callerid before answering the phone. Most city-state phone numbers are spam. Most names are valid, but not all.

And I don't WANT the people who insist on real people who will talk 10 minutes with them to make a reservation. Different strokes for different folks. Everybody happy!.
Arks said:
And I don't WANT the people who insist on real people who will talk 10 minutes with them to make a reservation. Different strokes for different folks. Everybody happy!
Yes. Everybody happy. It helps to know your market. Mine wants personal interaction. I know some have a hard time believing it, but we still only average 50% online bookings. The other 50% want the personal touch.
Not just for deals as many online reservations ask for a discount in their 'additional info' comments.

And I don't WANT the people who insist on real people who will talk 10 minutes with them to make a reservation. Different strokes for different folks. Everybody happy!.
Arks said:
Yes. Everybody happy. It helps to know your market. Mine wants personal interaction. I know some have a hard time believing it, but we still only average 50% online bookings. The other 50% want the personal touch.
Not just for deals as many online reservations ask for a discount in their 'additional info' comments.
Morticia said:
Arks said:
So does my market and I love talking to everyone. It sets the mood and I, as well as the guests, know what to expect. Personal attention, isn't that why they stay with us rather than Motel 6?

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
So does my market and I love talking to everyone. It sets the mood and I, as well as the guests, know what to expect. Personal attention, isn't that why they stay with us rather than Motel 6?
So does my market. I often wonder if paying for a reservation system is a bit of a waste? I love chatting to the next guest. As I find out a lot about how they are. Often get a feeling of how their visit will be like. But on line has the other side of the coin, for those that don't do not want to chat or have any questions. So have both sides of the coin. But I still like the one on one contact.
Staying with our policy is for the most part thee best thing to do. I just find some times I bend and for the most part I stand my ground. DH is the push over. It always has to be one that bends and one that stands tall LOL I understand and I hope for you the next time if any time you will be able to stand by your policy's. There is a reason why you have policies in the first place . As there was a need.
PS venting is good for the soul. It is easier then taking Blood pressure Pills.

look at it this way. You didn't want them there any longer anyway. pita!.
I am not so fond of the constant referral to guests as PITA here, even if a private forum.
This is about business, and service and reputation. Guests have their own agenda. They are traveling or on vacation. Plans change. Unexpected issues crop up.
If a guest is disrespectful, I agree they can be a PITA. But the competition is getting more flexible and more ferocious by the month. Check in/out times are becoming more flexible. Choices are becoming more flexible.
If someone costs you money, you have a deposit and CC policies to protect your financial investment. Deciding to accept a reschedule is negotiated between the parties, and the innkeeper applies their policies. But I do not get the pouty lip mentality some innkeepers seem to have.
Motels, resorts, hotels and other lodgings are not so "fragile". To compete and survive, I think taking out the emotion and acting like a business is a little more appropriate than getting miffed because someone acts like a difficult customer.
Just because someone wants to rant about it, doesn't mean that they don't have empathy. Nothing wrong with letting off a little steam. Just because I do or don't agree with something doesn't mean that sometimes don't regret it or want to kick myself in the butt for it. Remember that most of us have been in this business quite a while and have a lot of experience. But even we make mistakes and errors in judgement.
I don't take deposits, that's my choice. And last week it bit me in the a$$, I lost 4 night because I forgot to run an auth on the money a week earlier (it was an usual booking.) When I could have cancelled the reservation and still had a better chance of reselling it. It's part of business.
But most of us already know, from years of experience, that a very small minority of the clients are the cause of the majority of the problems. Pareto's Principal in reverse to the extreme... 1% of the clients cause about 95% of the problems.
I have a lot of empathy for innkeepers in other places. Some of the trends are particularly horrible, like the ads that tell people the best deals are at the last minute... they aren't... what you get is a great deal on a room that no one else waned. I don't see HWire or PLine advertising the rooms that way. Imagine building your business and not knowing if you will have bodies in the beds for the weekend until Thursday night or Friday morning... so can you schedule housekeeping that way? What about the housekeepers, do they know if they will have work tomorrow to feed their children?
This is a forum for innkeepers. We need to empathize with other innkeepers who want to let off a little steam. So empathize instead of judge... not saying that they were right or wrong to let the person off the hook... I'm just holding a sympathetic ear. I too have bent for clients who wanted to check out early, even though it costs me money. I've been upset with myself for bending, when I shouldn't, but also realize that not bending can cost me as well. Still want the empathy, even if I'm not sure that I did or didn't do the right thing.
Jon Sable said:
This is a forum for innkeepers. We need to empathize with other innkeepers who want to let off a little steam. So empathize instead of judge... not saying that they were right or wrong to let the person off the hook... I'm just holding a sympathetic ear. I too have bent for clients who wanted to check out early, even though it costs me money. I've been upset with myself for bending, when I shouldn't, but also realize that not bending can cost me as well. Still want the empathy, even if I'm not sure that I did or didn't do the right thing.
precisely!
We are here to vent, laugh, dole out information to each other, sympathize and empathize.
This job can be frustrating at times. Of course we enjoy our profession, even when we vent.
Undersea - just wait until you finally are an innkeeper for nightly guests, then we'll talk again.
Copperhead, I have made that error a couple of times too many. I like doing business with a handshake rather than hitting people over the head with policies and money up front, etc. But I have learned, only recently, that fewer and fewer guests are thinking along those same lines. So, 2 weeks ago I tightened my policies to the point where I have a headache.
Every time I have done something in the way of giving free upgrades, bent the cancellation policy, or let someone's tiny, little dog stay free, or have given them a surprise in their room, it comes back to haunt me. Maybe not every time. I leave a bottle of sparkling wine for birthday guests in the fridge of a cottage and champagne glasses in the cupboard, 4 out of times, my glasses are gone after the guest leaves. Guess what, the next guest will have to drink their bubbly out of bathroom cups. Sorry.
I hope you enjoy your guests today :)
I buy my glasses all at the dollar store. So.. let them take them.
Otherwise, go for http://www.amazon.com/25-Plastic-Champagne-Wedding-Toasting/dp/B003OKTW16/ and you don't even have to wash them :)
Jon Sable said:
I buy my glasses all at the dollar store. So.. let them take them.
Otherwise, go for http://www.amazon.com/25-Plastic-Champagne-Wedding-Toasting/dp/B003OKTW16/ and you don't even have to wash them :)
Yes, well. I am stupid. I put my own, very beautiful lead crystal flutes. I am an idiot. Oh, errrr....I already said that
We all make mistakes, no use beating yourself up about it. Get Christian Grey to do it for you :)
Yes yes Jon You have a great way with words . Thank you for my laugh of the day.
thumbs_up.gif

My average completed reservation call is 10 minutes. My average uncompleted reservation call is 30 seconds.
I don't particularly need to talk to guests to see if they are a good fit, but some of them want a little more info after they've made the reservation.
The exception to this was the daffy family that called 30 times and continued to call after deciding to stay elsewhere. It's amusing now.
Answering the phone and being the voice of the business is part of the job. Imagine wanting to buy a product but you need a simple question answered before completing the purchase and all you get is a voice message saying buy online or leave a message and we'll call you back. The better thing would be a text. Text your question to...
Not that I would text, I'd move on to the place that pleasantly answered the phone.
Momma Smurf said:
Sometimes I think we live in a backwater! So many guests say no one answers the phone any longer.
I just made a reservation at a hotel and their phone system is painful. You get thru to a real person right away but then they can't take a rez and you go into the seventh circle of hell. Anytime I have the option of saying something I ask for 'associate' and don't bother with the computer.
I look at the callerid before answering the phone. Most city-state phone numbers are spam. Most names are valid, but not all.
I agree that some answering systems are painful. And you wind up giving information several times, etc.
Although I intend to let the phone screen the calls, I do plan to follow up on legitimate messages as quickly as possible.
There is a balance in the value of not dealing with annoyance & time-draining callers VS. losing a few people. And for repeat customers, I might be more flexible with direct contact (to a different number).
On the other hand, just being tied to the phone to me is worse than being around guests. I used to answer the phone all the time for a construction business (8 years ago). Movies, bathroom, shower, church, middle of an estimate, etc. etc. I hated the sudden interruptions of the ringing phone. I am used to living with up to 4 tenants in the same living space for years. The interaction, their presence, questions, comings and goings do not bother me.
Part of the issue is, I work M-F, and my wife will be handling the place and a few services mostly on her own then. As we grow, we plan help. But unexpected calls will interrupt her from what she needs to do. Also, she is not someone who makes calls short.

Momma Smurf said:
I agree that some answering systems are painful. And you wind up giving information several times, etc.
Although I intend to let the phone screen the calls, I do plan to follow up on legitimate messages as quickly as possible.
There is a balance in the value of not dealing with annoyance & time-draining callers VS. losing a few people. And for repeat customers, I might be more flexible with direct contact (to a different number).
On the other hand, just being tied to the phone to me is worse than being around guests. I used to answer the phone all the time for a construction business (8 years ago). Movies, bathroom, shower, church, middle of an estimate, etc. etc. I hated the sudden interruptions of the ringing phone. I am used to living with up to 4 tenants in the same living space for years. The interaction, their presence, questions, comings and goings do not bother me.
Part of the issue is, I work M-F, and my wife will be handling the place and a few services mostly on her own then. As we grow, we plan help. But unexpected calls will interrupt her from what she needs to do. Also, she is not someone who makes calls short.
Our location is such that there is a list the guest can go thru quickly until someone answers a phone. You can look at it as one lost rez but for us it could be the loss of many, many years of repeat business.
When you're the only game in town or you rank so well on reviews that you don't have to worry about losing a few then having all your calls go to VM is definitely an option.
That's not the case here. We don't rank well on review sites and there's a lot of competition and the season is short.

Momma Smurf said:
Our location is such that there is a list the guest can go thru quickly until someone answers a phone. You can look at it as one lost rez but for us it could be the loss of many, many years of repeat business.
When you're the only game in town or you rank so well on reviews that you don't have to worry about losing a few then having all your calls go to VM is definitely an option.
That's not the case here. We don't rank well on review sites and there's a lot of competition and the season is short.
Appreciate your feedback. While there is a set of starting policies, I will definitely monitor how many hang-ups there are.
When I used to answer the phone for construction calls, they told me they appreciated not hearing voicemail. On the other hand, it did not seem to have an appreciable difference, as people always got 3-5 bids.

Arks said:
Since we talk to every guest I can't really compare how much our business we lose by not having on-line booking. Forgoing on-line booking just works for us...brings us quality guests who have taken some time to choose us, and allows us to make sure they will be a good fit for our small B+B. I'm sure we are "old-fashioned", probably lose some business because we can not take a booking at mid-night or at the touch of a button, but if it ain't broke.....!
We do tend to get more over-50 guests than 20-30 year-olds. Since we are cutting back and not building a business our older market is just fine with us.

Arks said:
Since we talk to every guest I can't really compare how much our business we lose by not having on-line booking. Forgoing on-line booking just works for us...brings us quality guests who have taken some time to choose us, and allows us to make sure they will be a good fit for our small B+B. I'm sure we are "old-fashioned", probably lose some business because we can not take a booking at mid-night or at the touch of a button, but if it ain't broke.....!
We do tend to get more over-50 guests than 20-30 year-olds. Since we are cutting back and not building a business our older market is just fine with us.
Silverspoon said:
If it ain't broke. Exactly.
BTW, if you're not sure if it's broke or not, (not you Silver) you might TRY online booking to see how it goes.

Arks said:
I have the best of both worlds with my online booking. It is a real-time reservation that is not confirmed until I call - within 24 hours - and get a credit card number, so I also talk to them.
This afternoon I called back the lady who had called Tuesday wanting 3 nights starting Sunday. I was full Sunday so she asked for a recco for Sunday and on finding out where the daughter was going sent her to a B & B 5 minutes from where she needed to be. The lady thought it was wonderful that I cared enough to call back to see if she had a room. I told her, "that is why you go to a B & B."

Arks said:
I have the best of both worlds with my online booking. It is a real-time reservation that is not confirmed until I call - within 24 hours - and get a credit card number, so I also talk to them.
This afternoon I called back the lady who had called Tuesday wanting 3 nights starting Sunday. I was full Sunday so she asked for a recco for Sunday and on finding out where the daughter was going sent her to a B & B 5 minutes from where she needed to be. The lady thought it was wonderful that I cared enough to call back to see if she had a room. I told her, "that is why you go to a B & B."
Or you get someone who waited 15 minutes before calling to demand your confirmation. What? I'm talking to guests, didn't even get a notice there was a new rez yet. Yowza.

Arks said:
We are the same, Silverspoon.----Just email and phone has always worked for us. Since I don't take credit cards, the only information I need when booking is their 1st name and phone number and room requirement. All other information is over the phone or email----check in times, payment choice, etc. I do not take deposits unless it is a long weekend and they have booked months before arrival. Payment is recorded by their name on the calendar along with number of meals. Receipts are rarely asked for but will gladly give them. short and sweet!!

Arks said:
I'm with you, I like talking with our guests/prospective guests, I'm here to serve them and they are the fun reason to be in this business, remove the personal contact and the conversations and I'm just the janitor, no thanks.
Sure there are times when a "time out" from phone calls and interruptions might be nice, but this is the life I chose so I can't complain.

I was surprised at the amount of phone reservations we get vs online (about 50-50). I really thought most people would book online, as I would.
Sometimes I will get a call saying "I'm looking at your website and see that you have openings for ...." but they still want to call to make the reservation. I don't mind talking with them. I do get a lot of comments about how friendly we are. It makes me wonder how the other area innkeepers sound on the phone.
About policies - I've had a surprising amount of people who are more concerned about the cancellation policy than actually staying at the inn - almost like they are planning on canceling from the get go.
We require one night's fee as the deposit; we keep a $40 cancellation fee if it's cancelled up to 7 days before the res, and no refund of deposit if cancelled within 7 days of the reservation. Most places here keep the full deposit if canceled within 2 weeks of the res date.
I've had people who decide not to reserve just because they don't want to spend the $40 cancellation fee. Weird.

Arks said:
We are the same, Silverspoon.----Just email and phone has always worked for us. Since I don't take credit cards, the only information I need when booking is their 1st name and phone number and room requirement. All other information is over the phone or email----check in times, payment choice, etc. I do not take deposits unless it is a long weekend and they have booked months before arrival. Payment is recorded by their name on the calendar along with number of meals. Receipts are rarely asked for but will gladly give them. short and sweet!!
Our system works because we only have 3 accommodations and about 30% of our reservations are from repeat guests. If we were larger we would probably have to opt for less personal contact, on-line reservations, credit cards etc. But as it is, we take only checks and cash, require a 2-night deposit and have a 30 day cancellation period for refunds (minus $25 process fee).
All of this works for us because we have been in business over 25 years, are located in a popular tourist destination with limited high quality lodging and a very short (4 months) high season. With more rooms, more competition and a longer season we would be totally wrung out from the amount of work to do and would have to opt for more automation. We do provide receipts, have a 3-night minimum in season and an on-line calendar with updated, professional web site so we are not seen as a home-stay experience. No, we like to think that we are more like a small, "boutique" B+B...whatever that is! LOL

I was surprised at the amount of phone reservations we get vs online (about 50-50). I really thought most people would book online, as I would.
Sometimes I will get a call saying "I'm looking at your website and see that you have openings for ...." but they still want to call to make the reservation. I don't mind talking with them. I do get a lot of comments about how friendly we are. It makes me wonder how the other area innkeepers sound on the phone.
About policies - I've had a surprising amount of people who are more concerned about the cancellation policy than actually staying at the inn - almost like they are planning on canceling from the get go.
We require one night's fee as the deposit; we keep a $40 cancellation fee if it's cancelled up to 7 days before the res, and no refund of deposit if cancelled within 7 days of the reservation. Most places here keep the full deposit if canceled within 2 weeks of the res date.
I've had people who decide not to reserve just because they don't want to spend the $40 cancellation fee. Weird..
rusticinn said:
I've had people who decide not to reserve just because they don't want to spend the $40 cancellation fee. Weird.
I could have written this.
Some people cancel as soon as they hear there is a cancellation fee. "Never mind, I'll look somewhere else."
Others argue about paying it when they do cancel weeks later.

I've had people who decide not to reserve just because they don't want to spend the $40 cancellation fee. Weird..
I hate to take reservations on the phone. I want the information on the computer. If they call and say they are on my site I tell them you can book right there and it so easy. I tell them I am away from my desk right and can't take it by phone. 99% of the time they just go a head and book right then. Then that solves my taking it by hand. Only one in the last year would not do it on line. He wound up being such a pain I have his name taped in my cabinet not to take a res from him again. He called and changed dates 3 times, cancelled, then called back to rebook and then cancelled. I am so done with him.

Back