Policies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I clicked a link from the P&P website to an inn about 45 minutes from us. I wanted to see if they took online rez yet, they don't. I wonder how many guests they turn away due to this? I also noticed their cancellation policy depended on number of nights booked in, which is interesting, does anyone else do this?
Reservations must be secured by a deposit of one night’s stay with a credit card or check in advance. Refunds less 10% processing fee will be made if reservation is cancelled with at least 7 days notice for 1-3 nights stays, 14 days notice for stays 4 nights or more. We accept cash, personal checks, traveler’s checks, MasterCard, VISA, BluedogInn gift certificate or State Assoc gift certificate.
Check-in is between 4 p.m. & 7 p.m., unless special arrangements for early or late arrival have been made. Check-out is at 11 a.m.
No smoking or pets are permitted at Bluedog Inn or Greydog Cottage.
Rooms are double occupancy. Children over the age of 12 are welcome.
Please feel free to call us at (123) 123-0000 or fax at (123) 123-1111 to book your reservations. You can also reach us via email at: [email protected]
I can only hope I am getting the guests who want to book online, but they are waterfront we aren't, so it is apples and oranges.

I have just been updating the association database for our new website and directory and I was really AMAZED at how many of our membership DO NOT take online reservations!!!! I just could not believe it. So this does not surprise me.
When trying to convince them to get it...You get the same old response, "I want to talk to my guests!" Fine but I think they are losing guests because of it. If they don't take on line reservations, at least have on line availablity calendar and a way to make a request.
I have managed to convince a few and they have been thrilled and wondered why they never did it before....oh well.

Are these places that use the B&B as a write off? I am always wondering that. Fax a reservation over? Not that many people use fax machines, I mean what is this the 1980's?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Our "county tourism" said he was planning on creating a page for each (of the three) B&B's in this county on the county website, esp for those who do not have a website. Well you created one in BM, I am another and the third has one room and lists bbav (without the actual link to the listing) on everything else.
Now there are our tax dollars at work! I was fuming and told him that was absurd!
He also thinks all of our guests come from 25 minutes away and that hotels are "tourism operators" yeah stinky roach motel off the highway promotes tourism. Whatever!

I have just been updating the association database for our new website and directory and I was really AMAZED at how many of our membership DO NOT take online reservations!!!! I just could not believe it. So this does not surprise me.
When trying to convince them to get it...You get the same old response, "I want to talk to my guests!" Fine but I think they are losing guests because of it. If they don't take on line reservations, at least have on line availablity calendar and a way to make a request.
I have managed to convince a few and they have been thrilled and wondered why they never did it before....oh well..
I have found that while my guests have been a ton of fun and great people, they DON'T WANT TO TALK to me when they book. They are busy. They want to be able to email and ask me questions while making up their mind. They don't want to be stuck with me on the phone as they think I might try and press them to book. They are often making the reservation from the office and don't want to be on the phone with a B&B in case someone walks in.
So, the "I want to talk to them" people are losing reservations big time, in my eyes.
Riki

I also noticed their cancellation policy depended on number of nights booked in, which is interesting, does anyone else do this?
No, my cancellation policy that is stated is any reservation cancelled less than 48 hours prior to expected arrival will be charged a full reservation charge plus tax.. If they had stable reservations it is stated that a full reservation charge plus tax AND full stable fee will be posted to their credit card. (In this instance, since the horse was not present to create a problem, there is no problem with me touching the stable fee. No liability issue.)
As for online reservations - I use Webervations but get more calls that online.

My cancellation policy that is stated is any reservation cancelled less than 48 hours prior to expected arrival will be charged a full reservation charge plus tax.
Question Kathleen, if said reservation is for 3 nights do you charge them for 3 nights?

Are these places that use the B&B as a write off? I am always wondering that. Fax a reservation over? Not that many people use fax machines, I mean what is this the 1980's?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
No ...some are quite large in fact. Amazing how you can run an inn without on line reservations!

I have managed to convince a few and they have been thrilled and wondered why they never did it before....oh well..
I have found that while my guests have been a ton of fun and great people, they DON'T WANT TO TALK to me when they book. They are busy. They want to be able to email and ask me questions while making up their mind. They don't want to be stuck with me on the phone as they think I might try and press them to book. They are often making the reservation from the office and don't want to be on the phone with a B&B in case someone walks in.
So, the "I want to talk to them" people are losing reservations big time, in my eyes.
Riki
Yep... I agree 100%! And have told many exactly the same thing. I know we are preaching to the choir here. But many someone will benefit from reading this.

I don't like B&B's without online reservations. If I can email you that is kinda OK but then someone might call before you read my email and take the room I want!
teeth_smile.gif
We stayed at a B&B in Savannah and you had to call for reservations, well I called and got their answering machine but it was hours later before my call was returned. We only stayed there because it was in the price range and location that we wanted, otherwise I would have moved on to somewhere else. They also had a poorly designed website and it was one of those dud places we stayed....
thumbs_down.gif

I don't like B&B's without online reservations. If I can email you that is kinda OK but then someone might call before you read my email and take the room I want!
teeth_smile.gif
We stayed at a B&B in Savannah and you had to call for reservations, well I called and got their answering machine but it was hours later before my call was returned. We only stayed there because it was in the price range and location that we wanted, otherwise I would have moved on to somewhere else. They also had a poorly designed website and it was one of those dud places we stayed....
thumbs_down.gif
Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.
- Lou Holtz
Love the quote...Lou is a old family friend and coached my cousin:)

My cancellation policy that is stated is any reservation cancelled less than 48 hours prior to expected arrival will be charged a full reservation charge plus tax.
Question Kathleen, if said reservation is for 3 nights do you charge them for 3 nights?.
Yes because I may have turned people away. The main reason I have that is that I do a lot of packages that include a packed lunch and/or dinner. By 48 hours prior I have purchased the supplies I need to make that dinner and may have purchased things for the lunches. They are going to get charged for the package. I may be making as much on the add-ons as I am on the rooms (or close to it) and the cancel leaves me high & dry if I just charge for a room night.

teeth_smile.gif
thumbs_down.gif
That is what I like about Webervations - it takes the room out of inventory now and gives me time to call for the credit card number. If I am on the road and return a call from the answering machine, I ask them to go into Webervations on my site to remove the room from inventory because as I am on the road, I cannot.

teeth_smile.gif
thumbs_down.gif
That is what I like about Webervations - it takes the room out of inventory now and gives me time to call for the credit card number. If I am on the road and return a call from the answering machine, I ask them to go into Webervations on my site to remove the room from inventory because as I am on the road, I cannot.
gillumhouse said:
Glad you brought that up, why don't you have weberv mandatory input of CC #? I mean, we do not charge the card til they are here and give an oppty to pay with something non plastic. Is that the reason? It is just a setting in weberv to require the card AND V code.

I just reread that policy I posted on here, I skiiped over the less10% processing fee. If I skipped it I bet guests do as well. 10%!!! That is huge! A 5 night stay at $150 = $750 (do they put the tax rate in for the 10%?) so $75 fee! Yikes.

teeth_smile.gif
thumbs_down.gif
gillumhouse said:
Glad you brought that up, why don't you have weberv mandatory input of CC #? I mean, we do not charge the card til they are here and give an oppty to pay with something non plastic. Is that the reason? It is just a setting in weberv to require the card AND V code.
I just have a distrust of entering a credit card number online - what can I say, I am an old fuddy-duddy. Yes, I do on rare occasions make a purchace online and use a credit card that does not have much limit on it as a "just in case". If I do not like it, why would I want my guests to do it. What can I say - it is just my way of doing things. I get the number over the phone where I am getting most of my reservations anyway.

teeth_smile.gif
thumbs_down.gif
gillumhouse said:
I just have a distrust of entering a credit card number online - what can I say, I am an old fuddy-duddy. Yes, I do on rare occasions make a purchace online and use a credit card that does not have much limit on it as a "just in case". If I do not like it, why would I want my guests to do it. What can I say - it is just my way of doing things. I get the number over the phone where I am getting most of my reservations anyway.
gillumhouse said:
Not a big deal, just wondered why. Of course my cordless phone to your cordless phone is not exactly secure, just an fyi. The newer ones are more secure than the older models, but anyone with a scanner - hey DH has one on his dresser right now he uses at NASCAR races...can listen in.

The only difference I have in cancellation policy is for whole house or extended stay bookings. Bigger deposit & longer time out to cancel without being charged anything. I'm pretty liberal with my cancellation policy and it really hasn't been a problem so far as we've had only a few cancellations. They were all within our policy.

I have seen a range of cancellation dates based on number of room night booked. Usually the more room nights the longer the cancel period from date of arrival. To me it's too much accounting. I had to call our guests coming in tonight and thell them we had no heat or electricity and the roads were awful. They still wanted to come. I referred them elsewhere.

Back