Policy change

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We have changed our pet policy. I think I've found every instance of 'we take pets' that was on our website or in our booking software. And I have still had 2 guests book with a dog since the policy went into place. They SIGNED that they read our policies! What is going on here?
Never mind. I found the place I missed. But, they STILL signed the policy agreement that states we DON'T take pets.

Can you put an additional check box that states, "I am aware that this Inn does not accept pets."
We know they don't read the policies and there could be instances of you out on the web that still show that you're pet friendly. Pet-Friendly lodging websites?

Can you put an additional check box that states, "I am aware that this Inn does not accept pets."
We know they don't read the policies and there could be instances of you out on the web that still show that you're pet friendly. Pet-Friendly lodging websites?.
There are pet-friendly sites that we're on. I'm not renewing them but some of them we didn't pay to be on and it's harder to find all of those.
If it's right on the policies that they have to click they read, I don't think they're reading what they're checking no matter what it says.

They are reading the sentence, "I have read your policies" and are clicking the box, but they haven't read the policies. I don't think they'd click the box without reading the sentence next to it. I think that might be your best bet, though.

We KNOW they don't read. I like the idea of having an additional place for them to check that says, as K9 suggests "I am aware that this Inn does not accept pets." If you can arrange it so they can't book without checking this box you will at least have one other safeguard in place.

We KNOW they don't read. I like the idea of having an additional place for them to check that says, as K9 suggests "I am aware that this Inn does not accept pets." If you can arrange it so they can't book without checking this box you will at least have one other safeguard in place..
Here's the long-range problem with that...we will take pets we know. So I don't want someone grousing that they thought we were 'pet free'.
It's a fine line I'm balancing on here. We just had a run of bad pet people this summer and we're done catering to them. But, the families who have been coming for years and are good pet people? We want them back. We just don't want 'new' dogs.

People don't read because it takes time. Time better spent doing something other than reading what they agreed to. I am guilty of this, as most of us are, when I must hit the box agreeing to a new website terms or posting payment. Who reads all that? but it is there just like our policies.
embaressed_smile.gif

We KNOW they don't read. I like the idea of having an additional place for them to check that says, as K9 suggests "I am aware that this Inn does not accept pets." If you can arrange it so they can't book without checking this box you will at least have one other safeguard in place..
Here's the long-range problem with that...we will take pets we know. So I don't want someone grousing that they thought we were 'pet free'.
It's a fine line I'm balancing on here. We just had a run of bad pet people this summer and we're done catering to them. But, the families who have been coming for years and are good pet people? We want them back. We just don't want 'new' dogs.
Madeleine said:
It will be just your luck that these great repeats w/pets will be the ones reading and seeing you no longer are pet friendly. Do you or can you have a list of pet family emails that you can send notice to "We are no longer pet friendly EXCEPT for YOU"

Madeleine said:
It will be just your luck that these great repeats w/pets will be the ones reading and seeing you no longer are pet friendly. Do you or can you have a list of pet family emails that you can send notice to "We are no longer pet friendly EXCEPT for YOU"
I am planning a selective email to our 'good' pet guests.

Madeleine said:
I understand your dilemma in wanting to accept certain returning pets. But, how will you handle a situation where a returning pet is staying and a new guest find out after they spent time & money finding a pet sitter because you wouldn't let them bring their dog? Sticky situation indeed...

Madeleine said:
I understand your dilemma in wanting to accept certain returning pets. But, how will you handle a situation where a returning pet is staying and a new guest find out after they spent time & money finding a pet sitter because you wouldn't let them bring their dog? Sticky situation indeed...
They couldn't have brought their pet anyway...only one pet room available. Or, 'Sorry, they had already booked before we changed our policy.'
We have had to turn away other pets before because the room was already taken. Usually, the guests go elsewhere rather than leave Fluffy at the kennel. I have a list of other properties where pets are welcome.
Similar to turning away guests who want to stuff 4 people in a room with 1 bed.

Madeleine said:
IF the new guest raised the question, I would say this one is "grandfathered in" to the new policy. A repeat guest is better than a new one who may or may not ever return. You KNOW the repeat comes back.

How about changing the wording to "No pets, unless agreed upon in writing." Or "No pets, unless agreed upon in writing or you have a previous exemption."
I still prefer point form. It makes it shorter and harder to skip.

Madeleine said:
They couldn't have brought their pet anyway...only one pet room available. Or, 'Sorry, they had already booked before we changed our policy.'
We have had to turn away other pets before because the room was already taken. Usually, the guests go elsewhere rather than leave Fluffy at the kennel. I have a list of other properties where pets are welcome.
Similar to turning away guests who want to stuff 4 people in a room with 1 bed.
oh, ok - that makes for an easy excuse.

Well let's just say 2013 is the NO PETS POLICY. and make it simple. :)

Madeleine said:
Well I see a problem with guests who are looking for a pet-free inn but find that you do have animals in some rooms. My sister in law would walk right out and demand a refund if she ever found an pet onsite or thought that there may have been one in her room. If you say that you do not take pets you should mean it. Just like an adult-only inn that ends up with kids screaming in the night.....not a good thing.

have read through this post a few times.
I really think the policy has to apply to all your guests. no grandfathering in of former guests with pets unless you are prepared for the possible (inevitable?) complaint that someone else was allowed to bring their dog when they were not. but it's your place ... you make the rules.
you have a dog in residence, correct? so this should also be clearly stated on your site ... not a completely pet free building because one lives there ... that should i hope stave off the pet allergy complaint.
you will still have folks who bring genuine service animals (or pretend service animals) ... i have not seen this issue on the forum lately.
i have family members who travel with two small dogs that bark when nervous or if they hear other dogs bark ... and that use PUPPY PEE PADS. yuck. this does not bother them in the slightest and there are places they stay specifically because the dogs are welcomed there. but i like a room FAR AWAY from the dog rooms, please ... because of dogs like theirs. i love their dogs as playmates, but not bunkmates.
let us know how this plays out.

I really think the policy has to apply to all your guests. no grandfathering in of former guests with pets unless you are prepared for the possible (inevitable?) complaint that someone else was allowed to bring their dog when they were not. but it's your place ... you make the rules.
you have a dog in residence, correct? so this should also be clearly stated on your site ... not a completely pet free building because one lives there ... that should i hope stave off the pet allergy complaint.
you will still have folks who bring genuine service animals (or pretend service animals) ... i have not seen this issue on the forum lately.
i have family members who travel with two small dogs that bark when nervous or if they hear other dogs bark ... and that use PUPPY PEE PADS. yuck. this does not bother them in the slightest and there are places they stay specifically because the dogs are welcomed there. but i like a room FAR AWAY from the dog rooms, please ... because of dogs like theirs. i love their dogs as playmates, but not bunkmates.
let us know how this plays out..
What I have stated is we are no longer taking new pet families (that's on the website). Under the room descriptions I state 'No' pets allowed in 6 of the rooms and 'Call' on the other room where we were taking pets.
We don't have a dog (sigh), she's been gone a year now.
Sure, everyone should be treated equally. If guests would have been more concerned about how they left the room this would not have come to pass. And I would be happy to explain that to anyone who complains they couldn't bring their unknown dog.
We have 2 families who stay here for a week at a time with a dog and a kid. Neither time do we even know a dog is in the house. And yet, there are times we've had a dog here overnight and it's taken hours to clean the room. We're just getting to the point where we just don't want to do that much work.
I've figured out we'll lose about 5% of our business this way and that is a big chunk o' change. So we didn't do this willy nilly.

let us know how this plays out..
seashanty said:
I think grandfathering happens in other ways with former guests. We have repeat guests who get a discounted rate. I'm not taking that away from them because newer repeat guests don't get that (they get a gift instead). We even gave the same discount the PO's had for the first year to people we didn't even know.
What will end up happening here is the dogs will go off to that big playground in the sky and maybe the guests won't get another dog.
When we took over the place dogs were allowed but it was not stated on the website. The PO's just took them when they felt like it. They never told other guests dogs were allowed and apparently everyone was fat, dumb & happy. WE told guests on the website that we were taking pets and we did have several guests yell at us and say we ruined their vacation because of the NEW policy of taking pets. When we explained we were only carrying on what the beloved PO's did they called us liars. And canceled.
Change involves a bit of grief is my experience.

Back