Pomegranates?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Best way to extract the seeds?
Some ideas for how to use them?
Side note - I used to eat these whenever I could get my mom to give me a quarter. Most expensive item in the whole fruiterers. We called them Chinese apples. That was a looong time ago.

I recently saw a video that cut the, in half and then pressed the centers to push them inside out. Have not tried that yet. I also saw one that slit the sides like segments - that I did try and it was easier than usual. Will try the cut in half with the other pomegranate we have.

I have seen chef's on Food Network, do similar but they just use the back of their chef knife to whack the pomegrante seeds out.

Make your husband seed them while watching a football game. Worked for me, anyway. He cut it in half and then started peeling the seeds out.
The arils are great on top of yogurt parfaits or as a garnish on a citrus salad. They are used in Mediterranean dishes to flavor chicken or mix in a couscous salad.
Edited to add: A local restaurant served them the other day atop panna cotta, mixed with blueberries and a vincotto drizzle. Maybe on your fruit starter, maybe a maple syrup drizzle?

I loved to use them at breakfast this time of the year. Same ideas as Muirford. Especially liked putting them atop diced kiwi for the seasonal color in a fruit starter. Also, garnish on pancakes or waffles. They freeze well too - I use them in smoothies although some may not like the texture they lend when blended in a smoothie.
Seems like the grocery store had little pamphlets near the display which showed the best way to open them up.
Enjoy!

I loved to use them at breakfast this time of the year. Same ideas as Muirford. Especially liked putting them atop diced kiwi for the seasonal color in a fruit starter. Also, garnish on pancakes or waffles. They freeze well too - I use them in smoothies although some may not like the texture they lend when blended in a smoothie.
Seems like the grocery store had little pamphlets near the display which showed the best way to open them up.
Enjoy!.
Yes, I mix them up with kiwi too - with a citrus salad base. Very colorful and yummy. And I use a similar extraction method as the vid, sort of turn the halves in the inside out direction and whack with side of knife over a work bowl then pick out the pith bits

Like the others said, cut around the middle, pull apart.
I mostly use it as a garnish on top of my baked pears.
=)

It was not a pretty sight. Luckily I had on a red sweater. Pom juice was everywhere. But, I have a big bucket o' pom arils for breakfast.
If there are any left, I'm eating them myself, how long do they keep in the fridge?

It was not a pretty sight. Luckily I had on a red sweater. Pom juice was everywhere. But, I have a big bucket o' pom arils for breakfast.
If there are any left, I'm eating them myself, how long do they keep in the fridge?.
freeze them

If there are any left, I'm eating them myself, how long do they keep in the fridge?.
I still have a small amt in fridge that has been there a week and a half. Tasted this AM. Still good. I'll use tomorrow for me. A local store sells the peeled fruit in plastic cups like yogurt. I looked at the shelf life when I saw them. Don't remember what it said, but a lot longer than a couple weeks.

They brightened up the named oatmeal this morning! Will use the rest tomorrow on the french toast.

Back