Pooh and the Honey Jar

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginia

Reaction score
On the coffee, tea, counter we have a jar of honey. Next to it is a little saucer and doily with a small spoon on it for the honey. There is a rack of teaspoons for stiring coffee right near the sugar and sweeteners. The honey spoon is constantly picked up, used to stir people's coffee and replaced onto the doily and saucer next to the honey jar. It is such a pain and I can't understand why it is not obvious that it is not a coffee spoon. Help? Suggestions? Pulling my hair out in frustration. Do they need signs on everything?

we have a large piece of glass all the juice stands on they take it off the glass and put it down on the cloth in front of it. Pick up the cup off the saucer and down on the cloth.

Would it help to put the honey into a squeeze bottle and eliminate the spoon, or if that isn't a "fit" for you, try a honey dipper.
unnamed.jpg

We use a pouring jar for the honey and we have demi-tasse spoons.
Or try something like this, basically it has to be put back down in the right spot because it can't sit anywhere else.
41OTlW7JZDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have a honey jar that has a cutout in he jar and lid for the honey dipper. I am sorry, I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing out loud and waking my brother. When I was a kid on the farm, honey dipper had a whole different meaning.

Honey Sticks are a convenient way to sweeten your tea without the mess using honey can create. Simply pop open the ends of the plastic straw and stir into your cup - no spoon required! Just google honey sticks......

Honey Sticks are a convenient way to sweeten your tea without the mess using honey can create. Simply pop open the ends of the plastic straw and stir into your cup - no spoon required! Just google honey sticks.......
I had honey sticks until all 8 of them were gone. Here's what happened...one guest thought it was a stir stick and stuck it in her coffee, stirred and threw it in the trash. Other guests who knew what they were needed scissors to cut the end off, which then fell into the tea. One kid chewed the ends off and sucked the honey out.
I love the idea, it just did not work in person.

I would try something else. We were discussing the definition of insanity once before and it is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
You could try the dispensers (I found they leak), the honey dripper someone else pointed out (most people know what that is for) or just go for the honey bear containers at the store.
There really is absolutely no reason your guests should understand that THAT particular spoon is for the honey. Now, if you had a spoon with a bee painted on it...

People will just grab a spoon and use it. I would eliminate the "special" honey spoon and let them use one of the other ones you have out. Quit hitting your head on the wall.
regular_smile.gif

I found honey crystals - looks like sugar, but made of honey and in a teddy bear jar - which I put out with the other sweeteners.
But, we have the same problem with the spoons for the regular sugar - somebody stirs their coffee with it then sticks it back in the sugar bowl. We have not found a solution, so we just wash the spoon. There is a coffee cup with regular spoons for stirring sitting right there.

I found honey crystals - looks like sugar, but made of honey and in a teddy bear jar - which I put out with the other sweeteners.
But, we have the same problem with the spoons for the regular sugar - somebody stirs their coffee with it then sticks it back in the sugar bowl. We have not found a solution, so we just wash the spoon. There is a coffee cup with regular spoons for stirring sitting right there..
We used to have this problem but now I use sugar rocks in a sort of lump brown and white and you just pop it in your cup and stir this seems to have eliminated the problem and looks pretty.

Not sure if they are available by you, yet, but http://www.honibe.com/honibe_honey_drop.html they have it in bulk at 49c. And they do offer it in wholesale.
Hey, maybe someone can ask them if they can make a special deal for B&Bs to get us to stock it so that people see it. Good advertising for them.

But, we have the same problem with the spoons for the regular sugar - somebody stirs their coffee with it then sticks it back in the sugar bowl. We have not found a solution, so we just wash the spoon. There is a coffee cup with regular spoons for stirring sitting right there..
We used to have this problem but now I use sugar rocks in a sort of lump brown and white and you just pop it in your cup and stir this seems to have eliminated the problem and looks pretty.
I know the lumps that you mean. I never thought of it (duh) but sugar cubes with tongs instead of a spoon would probably solve the problem. We have sugar on the table, too, with spoons - but people hardly ever use that spoon for the coffee. Maybe because there are other guests at the table, too?

It's what they do at home. Or, it came out of the sugar bowl ergo someone else used it, stirred their coffee and put it back in, so should I.

Or try something like this, basically it has to be put back down in the right spot because it can't sit anywhere else.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I used to use this honey dispenser but guests always turned it upside down and the honey would be pouring out all over them from the bottom. Now I use one that pours from the top.

I asked this same question last year. We have the honey pot with the honey dipper in it. It sits in a saucer to try to eliminate drips on the tablecloth but it still makes a mess. I have not yet resigned myself to the bear (I just don't like the look of it) but also haven't come up with any better solution.
I like the look of those drops, but my guess is most people would have no clue what they are and be constantly asking me "Where's the honey"?
Side track: For those who offer tea, do you keep fresh lemon on hand? I have a fridge right next to the tea table so I guess I could keep some in there, but it would result in a dreaded SIGN pointing it out!

Or you can do what I did...86 the honey. If someone wants it they can ask for it. It was not worth the sticky hassle when 1 person per year wanted honey in their tea.

muirford said:
But, we have the same problem with the spoons for the regular sugar - somebody stirs their coffee with it then sticks it back in the sugar bowl. We have not found a solution, so we just wash the spoon. There is a coffee cup with regular spoons for stirring sitting right there.
We have a honey hive honey jar with the stick, seems to work well, but I don't know if one stirs & returns
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
since it doesn't tell! We had the same problem with the sugar at the coffee station so I switched to one like those used at small breakfast places that you fill and it pours out of a covered spout and have stick stirrers. At the table there is still this problem every now and again - love it when I catch a spouse grabbing the spoon before the damage is done. You then know it is what is done at home.... well the good side is that they feel at home here.

I asked this same question last year. We have the honey pot with the honey dipper in it. It sits in a saucer to try to eliminate drips on the tablecloth but it still makes a mess. I have not yet resigned myself to the bear (I just don't like the look of it) but also haven't come up with any better solution.
I like the look of those drops, but my guess is most people would have no clue what they are and be constantly asking me "Where's the honey"?
Side track: For those who offer tea, do you keep fresh lemon on hand? I have a fridge right next to the tea table so I guess I could keep some in there, but it would result in a dreaded SIGN pointing it out!.
http://www.truelemon.com/index.php
Side track: For those who offer tea, do you keep fresh lemon on hand? I have a fridge right next to the tea table so I guess I could keep some in there, but it would result in a dreaded SIGN pointing it out!
I found a box of TrueLemon crystals at the grocery last summer. Packets are the size of Splenda packets, they say an equivalent of a wedge of lemon. I think it tastes like lemon juice and have started putting it out with the other tea fixins. Amazon has it. I'll also post in resources.

Back