Population where you live

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What is the current population of your town/city and county? (if that applies)
We were discussing destination B&B's on another thread. Are you on a street with other houses (ie historic district or town with sidewalks) or on acreage or secluded countryside/seaside property? Are you the only show in town or are there other B&B nearby, or within a short drive?
Only answer what you feel comfortable answering.
tounge_smile.gif

4500 in our town. Our town is the county seat - our county is the largest geographically in our state and has 50,000 population.

Charlottesville VA is 41,480. There are a number of B&Bs here in town and surrounding. About 3/4 are historical and 1/4 are newer like me. There is also a company that books rooms for B&Bs or just plain people with big houses here too.
We are 2.5 miles from Monticello and 6.5 miles from downtown. Somewhat seculded on 13 acres of forest and 3/4 acre of vineyard out back in a cluster of other wineries. So we have the benefit of seclusion only 10 - 15 minutes from town, only 15 minutes from University of Virginia
Riki

My city has a population of 67,430
It took a year of paperwork and a year of remodelling to open. Between the time I started and when I opened a second B&B opened in my town. In addition, a Hampton Inn and a Comfort Inn opened about the same time I did. The other B&B is rural, and I think attracts a clientele that is happier staying away from the traffic. I'm within a mile of the hospital and the university which adds another 18,000 students. I'm on the university's website for lodging, and have just purchased an ad on the student paper's home page with a link to my website to see if that gets more university visitors. I'll celebrate my second anniversary in mid-November, with a little over 20% occupancy this summer. I'll have to start working harder to make the public think my town is a destination. Am looking into a massage therapist, haven't made up any packages yet, but I know things will slow down after the football season, so I need to get crackin'

Located in rural area close to a city with combined (area) pop. of 90,000; county pop. 228,000; neighboring tourist city 320,000.
Only B&B in my area, with 6 in county, and 40+ in tourist city

OUr whole county is 24,000. We are a destination in my mind with the caverns and national park.
Funny that most locals don't see this...but I think they are coming around to it now.
We are out in the country about a mile from town with views of Skyline Drive. Fields and cows mostly around us.
In our area, we have about 15 B & B's, 1 large inn ( 40 rooms), about 10 motels and almost 300 rental cabins!!!

According to our county website, the population of our village (also the county seat) in July of 2008 was 1,123. Of course, that is just within the small village limits. As of the 2000 census, the county population was a little over 23,000.
Our location is a rural 2.5 acres about four miles from town (but on a main road), within half an hour from the most popular tourist city in Northern Michigan, between the two main entrances of a large ski resort, and smack between several tourist attractions. There are two other B&B's and three small motels right in town.
In the beginning, family and friends asked why on earth we chose this location, none of them saw it being a good spot for a B&B. Since opening, I bet I've had a hundred guests mention specifically what a great location we have....some after arriving and exploring a little bit.

Our county has 47,000 but the little town where we live is maybe 300..yea its little but its quiet and we are close enough to all the outdoor things that are connected to this area...its beautiful. We are definantely rural and in the country...surrounded by mountains..Im in the Mountain State.

Oops! I just started a new thread too (b4 I saw yours!) Called it Podunk/Destination I think we are thinking the same thing...

We are in a county of close to 4,000 total in population. Our hamlet has a total population of about 300, including the places up the valleys in our vicinity.
We have three B&Bs in our immediate area, another 4 or 5 inns or similar in the county.
We are finding that kayakers come here specifically, to our small hamlet. Destination marketing is a work in progress, as we find what guests specifically like about our B&B and our area.
We never anticipated the repeat business we have had so far. We love our unique area, and are very pleased when others do too.
KathleenM

Our village is 1 square mile and boasts 1400 year round residents. We are one of the few remaining, small, riverside cpmmunities left in our region.

City close to 200K. We are urban in a historic district. There are other B&Bs/inns here and lots of hotels.

I live in a city of approx 2300 - we have had a few funerals but not the right ones. I am halfway between 2 of the 10 largest cities in the State - neither of which has a pop of more than 18,000 (both prob less whether they admit it or not), and am 45 min from Morgantown with a pop of about 30,000 when the students are NOT there - double with.
I am the only B & B in town (I am a contributing factor to our historic district downtown in a mixed-use zone) and we have about 10 B & B in the 6 county region. I do have a ton of things to see and do within 60 miles or less, mostly less. If I added another 20 miles (remember I am a rural State so 60 to 80 miles is a daytrip) I have even more. Trails, history, covered bridges, antiques, crafts, winery....... And I am only 6+ miles west of the Interstate. With good marketing, I am in what I consider to be a PRIME location. And in June 2010, the new hospital will be 6+ miles away.. My City is looking to build an ampitheater at the Park too.

Our little town of 5195 is tucked into a box canyon 5 miles away from a 500k city and an hour away from 3M. We rely heavily on the summer tourist industry and are one of 12 or 15 B&Bs in a 20 mile radius.

It sounds like I am in a more populated area. The town is about 250,000 plus 3 universities and 2 junior colleges. There are only 3 B&B's with lots of motels and hotels. The city is very unfriendly to B&B's opening here.
Withing 60 miles we have 3/4 of the state population.
Big isn't always better.

In the heart of our county seat town of 20,000
The University and Seminary are 2 blocks away (we're between them) add another 2-3,000
Entire County: 50,000 - but the county is long and skinny and effectively divided in half by state route 30. The lower half of the county (1/2 hour drive) is very scenic and has a state park, state forest, and canoeing.
We are part of Ohio's Amish country, but on the non-touristy edge of it.
We are on a city lot, one block off of our historic street, so sort of historic. Our house was built around 1910.
Four B&B's in town (if you count Grandpa's Cheesebarn with two "B&B suites") who all get along and work together. One declining local hotel on the other side of the university. Two cheap motels and two midgrade hotels by the interstate.
=)
Kk.

We are located in a small town (pop. 5,974). Our property is located on a very small road on 44 acres so it is very peaceful and private here. We are in a great location 1 hour from Boston, 1 hour from Brattleboro, Vermont, 1 hour from Nashua NH, 1 1/2 hours from Providence RI, and CT, 4 hours from NYC. There is great skiing, hiking, biking, live theatre, antique shopping and great restaurants nearby. There is a also a private boarding school in town. The only thing we really need here is a great restaurant right in town. Any takers???? We were the only B&B for approx. 12 years but in the last few years two more have opened. Lots of hotels and inns in the surrounding cities.

Jo Bloggs said:
What is the current population of your town/city and county? (if that applies)
We were discussing destination B&B's on another thread. Are you on a street with other houses (ie historic district or town with sidewalks) or on acreage or secluded countryside/seaside property? Are you the only show in town or are there other B&B nearby, or within a short drive?
Only answer what you feel comfortable answering.
tounge_smile.gif
Pop: approx 7500
Area: village, historic district
Other B&B's in walking distance: 10
Other hotels/lodging in walking distance: 3
Other hotels in town: 10

We are located in a small town (pop. 5,974). Our property is located on a very small road on 44 acres so it is very peaceful and private here. We are in a great location 1 hour from Boston, 1 hour from Brattleboro, Vermont, 1 hour from Nashua NH, 1 1/2 hours from Providence RI, and CT, 4 hours from NYC. There is great skiing, hiking, biking, live theatre, antique shopping and great restaurants nearby. There is a also a private boarding school in town. The only thing we really need here is a great restaurant right in town. Any takers???? We were the only B&B for approx. 12 years but in the last few years two more have opened. Lots of hotels and inns in the surrounding cities..
Your descriptions made me curious about your place and I did some investigation. You have really a wonderful property it is really great. You must have put in a lot of work. Congratulations.

Back