Positioning a TV?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
With limited wall space and furniture all over, where do you position a TV if there is no place that will serve both watching from the comfy chairs AND watching from bed?

FOr me I would want to view it from laying in bed. I don't want to sit in a chair to watch TV. I want to stretch out and relax.

I just reorganized our Cook's Room so that the arm chairs and the bed all face the TV. Best viewing would definitely be from the bed, but it would now work if one person wanted to sit and read and the other person wanted to sit and watch the box.

I will add if you have it one way the next guest will want it the other. Some guests have no problem moving furniture around and I always think a guest can TURN a chair if they want to or put it nearer a tv. For us we have to make the rooms look spacious and allow pathways so guests to slam into chairs enroute to the loo. They can move them all they want.

A gradeschool classmate came to visit with his wife. HE informed me that if you wanted to watch TV from the bed, the one post was directly in the way. Then he showed me the solution. Men guests had leaned on that post a lot and made it very wobbly so DH had put a dowel rod in the bottom where the post originally screwed into the footboard. My friend picked up the post and put it in the corner. Now I show the guests the post removal....

A gradeschool classmate came to visit with his wife. HE informed me that if you wanted to watch TV from the bed, the one post was directly in the way. Then he showed me the solution. Men guests had leaned on that post a lot and made it very wobbly so DH had put a dowel rod in the bottom where the post originally screwed into the footboard. My friend picked up the post and put it in the corner. Now I show the guests the post removal.....
Get out! Guests disassemble the bed? Are the posts an integral part of the bed? If not take them both down!

A gradeschool classmate came to visit with his wife. HE informed me that if you wanted to watch TV from the bed, the one post was directly in the way. Then he showed me the solution. Men guests had leaned on that post a lot and made it very wobbly so DH had put a dowel rod in the bottom where the post originally screwed into the footboard. My friend picked up the post and put it in the corner. Now I show the guests the post removal.....
Get out! Guests disassemble the bed? Are the posts an integral part of the bed? If not take them both down!
It is a 4-poster bed. Taking the post off gets smiles.

Bed.
But mount the tv on the wall with an arm... then it can be swung out to other angles.
=)
Kk.

Bed.
But mount the tv on the wall with an arm... then it can be swung out to other angles.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Bed.
=)
Kk.
I guess I worry about the swivel thing. Yank it this way and that, pretty soon the TV falls off. Know what I mean? On one of those websites that the blogger was talking about, it shows the TV built into a nice wall unit, that's what I have in mind. A nice shelf for the remote, a couple of books, some flowers, that sort of thing.

Bed.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Bed.
=)
Kk.
I guess I worry about the swivel thing. Yank it this way and that, pretty soon the TV falls off. Know what I mean? On one of those websites that the blogger was talking about, it shows the TV built into a nice wall unit, that's what I have in mind. A nice shelf for the remote, a couple of books, some flowers, that sort of thing.
The swivel thing was a major debate in this household for the reasons you mentioned. It is akin to the No Open Flames policy. Put a flat sceen up and secure it and the guests can move THEMSELVES to view it.

Bed.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Bed.
=)
Kk.
The swivel thing was a major debate in this household for the reasons you mentioned. It is akin to the No Open Flames policy. Put a flat sceen up and secure it and the guests can move THEMSELVES to view it.
And that was resolved how? TV bolted to the wall or on a swivel?

Bed.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Bed.
=)
Kk.
And that was resolved how? TV bolted to the wall or on a swivel?
Resolved as we have it in only one room with vaulted ceiling and tv placed up high where they apparently can't reach it or move it. So why on a swivel? So it can be put up there and turned toward the bed. :) All in all - the danger of the swivel AND the look of a hospital room tv was the argument. I would have all flat screens is possible, right now no rooms have flat screen tvs. :)

Would one of those lazy susan type things that you can pull out of the dresser they have in hotel rooms work?
I am not sure where you would buy one - sorry.

Would one of those lazy susan type things that you can pull out of the dresser they have in hotel rooms work?
I am not sure where you would buy one - sorry..
I have a nightstand with a lazy susan top that used to be in that room! The guests could swivel the TV any which way. Mostly right into the wall! Or, the one that pulled the cable out of the wall by swiveling too far.

All four of ours are on arms. They sit almost flush with the wall, or at an angle if it's a corner, and the majority of guests never move them. I do point out the fact that it can be moved to guests staying in the room with the twin beds (otherwise the one guest would have to watch sideways).
The arms were like $100 each and very, very heavy. They are mounted to joists and screwed in to the back of the TV.
Of course, I spent like $4-500 each on the TV's and they'll be $250 on Friday morning...
=)
Kk.

Bed.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Bed.
=)
Kk.
I've used the wall mounts with the swing arm in several guest rooms and suites. They work really well and are pretty damn tough. Never had a problem with any of them. Really easy to position them for viewing in several different spots - and swing right back into place just as easy.

All four of ours are on arms. They sit almost flush with the wall, or at an angle if it's a corner, and the majority of guests never move them. I do point out the fact that it can be moved to guests staying in the room with the twin beds (otherwise the one guest would have to watch sideways).
The arms were like $100 each and very, very heavy. They are mounted to joists and screwed in to the back of the TV.
Of course, I spent like $4-500 each on the TV's and they'll be $250 on Friday morning...
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
You've had the use of them for a year or so, right? And were you really going to stand in one of those lines at 4 AM (really in line starting at midnight more like) for the possibility you would have wrestled with someone over the ONE that the store actually had in stock?
Sorry, another digression. I loathe shopping. I loathe this build up for a shopping frenzy. And I loathe it even more because it's 'Christmas shopping.' No one really needs anything that's going to be on sale on Friday and yet the pressure of the advertising to get out there and snag a deal is stressful. Me, I'm a gatherer, not a hunter. In the wild I'd be a vegan...

Back