Possible Shooting at a B&B in Temecula CA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had an update already.
[tr]Police: Shooting in Temecula area leaves man dead, suspect arrested[/h3]‎
[COLOR= rgb(118, 118, 118)]Southwest Riverside News Network[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(118, 118, 118)] - Jose Arballo Jr[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(118, 118, 118)]-[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(118, 118, 118)]3 hours ago[/COLOR]
A Temecula man has died after being shot at a residence in the Temecula Wine Country and police arrested a 59-year-old Menifee ...
[/td][/tr][/table]

i had an update already.
[COLOR= rgb(118, 118, 118)]Southwest Riverside News Network[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(118, 118, 118)] - Jose Arballo Jr[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(118, 118, 118)]-[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(118, 118, 118)]3 hours ago[/COLOR]
A Temecula man has died after being shot at a residence in the Temecula Wine Country and police arrested a 59-year-old Menifee ...
[/td][/tr][/table]
This is the 2nd or 3rd of these in a similar vein...'tenant-landlord' connection. Another reason I do not want long term guests.

Remember the innkeeper from this forum who had a short term rental and found a gun under his pillow in his room. I think he was there under a month, but not a regular nightly guest.

If you go to the b&b's website, there is nothing there except for this statement: The Castle is undergoing some exciting changes - for further information please call xxx-xxxx
Of course it's just speculation, but maybe the tenant-landlord situation is something that's not b&b related. Renovations perhaps? Caretaker? It could be anything, but I seriously doubt it was something regarding a "guest".

If you go to the b&b's website, there is nothing there except for this statement: The Castle is undergoing some exciting changes - for further information please call xxx-xxxx
Of course it's just speculation, but maybe the tenant-landlord situation is something that's not b&b related. Renovations perhaps? Caretaker? It could be anything, but I seriously doubt it was something regarding a "guest"..
It's just that there have been at least 2 other situations like this where a 'tenant' was living IN the B&B and killed the owners. Now, it could be a 'guest tenant' or a 'handyman tenant' the only point was it was someone living at the B&B who was not the owner and the owner was killed.
I don't want to have long-term anyone here. 'Guests' or 'residents' or 'workers.'
But we don't know the situation there at all. The info may not even be correct.

It was a B&B though, the reason it was posted here. Food for thought for whatever it is worth for other B&B owners.
I remember guests telling me they booked a B&B in a really seedy area and didn't realize this until they pulled in after a long day of travel. They were too late to leave so felt trapped in this B&B with bars on all the windows. They said there was a pawn shop next door and a bar on the other side. It was in Texas, probably a border town.
PS Not saying this is TEMECULA CA at all, I have had many friends who live in Temecula (and in fact I think an innkeeper here has a friend or relative there currently, I heard her mention it), just commenting we never know what a B&B may be like or near.

Remember the innkeeper from this forum who had a short term rental and found a gun under his pillow in his room. I think he was there under a month, but not a regular nightly guest..
No, the innkeeper on the forum found a loaded weapon in plain view on the bed when going in to make up the room of a long term guest. There is another story of another innkeeper whose housekeeping staff found a loaded handgun on the night stand in a B&B room.
I don't care if there are permits involved or not. This is carelessness of the most egregious kind when it comes to deadly weapons.

Remember the innkeeper from this forum who had a short term rental and found a gun under his pillow in his room. I think he was there under a month, but not a regular nightly guest..
No, the innkeeper on the forum found a loaded weapon in plain view on the bed when going in to make up the room of a long term guest. There is another story of another innkeeper whose housekeeping staff found a loaded handgun on the night stand in a B&B room.
I don't care if there are permits involved or not. This is carelessness of the most egregious kind when it comes to deadly weapons.
Samster said:
Permit to carry not to bury. :) I think it should be like, if I FIND IT I KEEP IT, when it comes to weapons (or chocolate) just kidding.

i had an update already.
[/td][/tr][/table]
In the photos of the inn, there is a picture of a woman cooking who has the same last name as the shooter and a photo of the shooter with a glass of wine.

i had an update already.
[/td][/tr][/table]
In the photos of the inn, there is a picture of a woman cooking who has the same last name as the shooter and a photo of the shooter with a glass of wine.
That is not good at all.

A little more detective work.
A TA review says "If you want to stay at a place that provides a unique experience, look no further. The hosts, Suzanne and Victor (victim), help make you feel at home from the moment the they hand you "the key to the castle."
"The current owners, Victor and Susanne, have owned The Castle for about three months" TA from 9/20/09
older pictures from 2005 show DiBernardos (shooter) as the owners/innkeepers

A TA review says "If you want to stay at a place that provides a unique experience, look no further. The hosts, Suzanne and Victor (victim), help make you feel at home from the moment the they hand you "the key to the castle."
"The current owners, Victor and Susanne, have owned The Castle for about three months" TA from 9/20/09
older pictures from 2005 show DiBernardos (shooter) as the owners/innkeepers.
Breakfast Diva said:
Maybe the victim & wife were leasing the B&B from the shooter????

Breakfast Diva said:
copperhead said:
Some good detective work by all.
And yes, Copperhead sure looks that way from this article in a local paper. The comments tell a tale all their own.

Breakfast Diva said:
copperhead said:
Some good detective work by all.
And yes, Copperhead sure looks that way from this article in a local paper. The comments tell a tale all their own.
That's amazing. Generally the commentary on news stories is completely rambling and highly unreadable, this was a real pouring out of concern and information. (As far as I read anyway.)

This is a synopsis of the events I found on a blog post:
This case is horrible. What many do know. The Borcherdes have a horrible financial past and were not paying DiBernardo for the lease / option on the Castle B and B. According to my memory, DiBernardos built this for a family home and Louis kept adding onto it. It was a private home first. Later it was used for community fund raisers to benefit various groups and to move our wine industry forward. He and his wife Sherry decided to divide some space in the rear of the home and make various theme rooms. Sherry an artist and Louie a former contractor did lots of the hard work themselves and also hired various local contractors to assist them. They had other family run the place for a season. Enter the Borcherdses who realized Louies weakness, trusting people too much. Develop a poor plan to lease / option the place and add the fact that Borcherdses would not release DiBernardo's personal property in the home as well as make payments to DiBernardos and this thing escalates. NO JUSTIFICATION for what the guy did. No violence, no murder is ever justified in cases like this. But there is more than meets the eyes. DiBernardo tried to evict Borcherdses through the legal system but that did not work. Borcherdses were making money off the B and B buisness and living in the nice home and grounds without payment. DiBernardo was trying to provide for himself and family, unable to retrieve his personal possessions, receive payment and watching another man making money off the buisiness he started. FRUSTRATION- paying attorneys, file a lawsuit and more. Add to that the fact the Borcherdses were not maintaining the property but taking revenue out of it ignited DiBernardo's furry. Again, NO JUSTIFICATION, but it is a mess.
OUR PATH: Pray for the families. Stay away from gossip and shots at one another on blogs or in the streets. Realize a man died, his family forever changed. Realize a man lost his property and now his freedom and has to stand before God for what he did. Winners: ZERO LOOSERS: MANY.

Back