Possible TA, Innkeepers please stop it ... :)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is it possible they don't know they are making unreasonable requests demands? i suppose it is possible ... but i don't think so.
i don't believe it that 'all innkeepers ask what they want the next day.' do they stay where there are little restaurants within the place? do they stay where they are the only guests?
i've stayed at more than a few places and mostly i have been served cook's choice. (i really like that phrase) at a big place, four mornings of quiche in a row and i opted for the cornflakes. i was not asked what i wanted.
at a very small place, i was the only guest, and the innkeeper asked me if i wanted scrambled eggs or pancakes the next morning. that was the exception to what i've experienced..
and Seashanty, like you I would have probably just said "anything is fine" and not even voiced a preference. Surprise me! :)
There are people who are used to people doing what they say, all the time, they don't break this way of being when they go for a weekend getaway. Should they get their way if they pay twice what they pay elsewhere? Maybe. I am just bringing this up, if the location is very pricey, then there better not be hershey chocolates. haha And if they get it as a Groupon deal, youbetchya some things have been cut, they need to be cut!
But I agree, if they had experienced this they assumed it was what all the inns do. I can see that.
I guess I'm still up in the air about the pricing. We know there are innkeepers on here charging under $100/night who are doing pretty much the same thing as places charging over $200/night. A lot of it is location and expectation. And charging what the market will bear.
We serve pretty much the same breakfast/snacks/chocolates when the rooms are $195/night as we do when they are $115. Sure, we make a lot less profit (close to 0), but I have a hard time cutting things out when the prices go down seasonally. And I don't add anything when the prices go up. (Exception being those berries I won't have any use for after tomorrow's breakfast.) But the rest of the breakfast is the same: fruit course, french toast & bacon, juice, coffee, tea.

is it possible they don't know they are making unreasonable requests demands? i suppose it is possible ... but i don't think so.
i don't believe it that 'all innkeepers ask what they want the next day.' do they stay where there are little restaurants within the place? do they stay where they are the only guests?
i've stayed at more than a few places and mostly i have been served cook's choice. (i really like that phrase) at a big place, four mornings of quiche in a row and i opted for the cornflakes. i was not asked what i wanted.
at a very small place, i was the only guest, and the innkeeper asked me if i wanted scrambled eggs or pancakes the next morning. that was the exception to what i've experienced..
and Seashanty, like you I would have probably just said "anything is fine" and not even voiced a preference. Surprise me! :)
There are people who are used to people doing what they say, all the time, they don't break this way of being when they go for a weekend getaway. Should they get their way if they pay twice what they pay elsewhere? Maybe. I am just bringing this up, if the location is very pricey, then there better not be hershey chocolates. haha And if they get it as a Groupon deal, youbetchya some things have been cut, they need to be cut!
But I agree, if they had experienced this they assumed it was what all the inns do. I can see that.
I guess I'm still up in the air about the pricing. We know there are innkeepers on here charging under $100/night who are doing pretty much the same thing as places charging over $200/night. A lot of it is location and expectation. And charging what the market will bear.
We serve pretty much the same breakfast/snacks/chocolates when the rooms are $195/night as we do when they are $115. Sure, we make a lot less profit (close to 0), but I have a hard time cutting things out when the prices go down seasonally. And I don't add anything when the prices go up. (Exception being those berries I won't have any use for after tomorrow's breakfast.) But the rest of the breakfast is the same: fruit course, french toast & bacon, juice, coffee, tea.
There are those who cut out breakfast or serve cornflakes for corporate guests since they get a cut rate. Not sure i need to rehash it twenty times, YES when you get a huge discount there are cuts that are made, in most instances. Not here, people give away the farm. LOL Give free stays to tweens (as this thread says), etc. We are nice, we all know that. We shouldn't be, we have businesses to run.

There are those who cut out breakfast or serve cornflakes for corporate guests since they get a cut rate. Not sure i need to rehash it twenty times, YES when you get a huge discount there are cuts that are made, in most instances. Not here, people give away the farm. LOL Give free stays to tweens (as this thread says), etc. We are nice, we all know that. We shouldn't be, we have businesses to run.
Joey Bloggs said:
If we had a stated corporate rate/policy then yes, I would definitely make sure they knew that if they are getting the room for $79/night they are not getting a full, sit down breakfast. Most of our corporate guests get a limited discount so they get the same breakfast/amenities as everyone else.

I believe that what we do for guests - catering to their wants/demands should be based on what they pay. But there are many differences to that determination.
Area - It is not what you charge but where you stand price wise in your area. If your price is about average, it is my feeling you have set standards and follow them. If you are on the high end, more catering would be expected.
Discounting is something different - It is your choice to discount and to do so should not lesson what the guest should expect. I am not talking bus travelers or long term stays here.
I don't find that not topping the FT makes that much difference, it is a garnish. Hey, if it were me & I was getting full rate I still would not buy in bulk something that most would go to waste.

Joey Bloggs said:
I may be hosting some med students. I gave a rate stating that I will have juice & coffee out every morning but that is all unless I have other guests I am fixing breakfast for and then they are welcome to join them. I am not going to get up and cook breakfast ($$) for the rate I have given.
My rates are not seasonal and if I have given a discount (rare) I still do the same as usual. I guess I want to impress them with what we do so they will tell others and/or want to come back.

Why aren't you charging them for the 11 year old? Do you normally charge?
I can promise that they weren't here, because it's chef's choice around here. And if I had pineapple, it's used up by day two.
Sorry you have these PITAs..
Yes I normaly charge for children but they booked 11/23 @9pm for 11/25 the only room opened for Thanksgiving wknd.2 other rooms were booked long ago.Funny when they checked out(after I wrote the above comments)they were very nice.Came into the hot tub room(all 3 of them) and were changed guest,just very nice
thumbs_up.gif

I had a chap like that arrived on tuesday for 4 nights insisted we put up a curtain in his bathroom as he was sure people could see in. (they can't) thought great he is going to be a PITA for 4 days but no was fine very polite and well behaved and insisted on taking a card as he wanted to come back with his family! was not happy about trying to find a curtain at 9pm on tuesday night when he came to me mind steam comming out of my ears! luckily we have a 24 hour walmart 10 mins walk away and managed to get a very pretty shower curtain in the right size! LOL

I want to know where all these innkeepers are that take breakfast orders the night before!
I've been traveling to B&Bs (coast-to-coast here, and abroad) for over 30 years, worked at a 12 room B&B, and owned a 5 room B&B. Some have been really expensive places and others were moderately priced. I only remember a "menu" at one place in all those circumstances. It had 3 entree choices and that was it. Everywhere else it's always been "cook's choice" breakfast - sometimes published the night before, but most often not. So, I think I'm a pretty good example of a well traveled B&B guest.
So, just where are all these places taking the orders for breakfast??
omg_smile.gif

I want to know where all these innkeepers are that take breakfast orders the night before!
I've been traveling to B&Bs (coast-to-coast here, and abroad) for over 30 years, worked at a 12 room B&B, and owned a 5 room B&B. Some have been really expensive places and others were moderately priced. I only remember a "menu" at one place in all those circumstances. It had 3 entree choices and that was it. Everywhere else it's always been "cook's choice" breakfast - sometimes published the night before, but most often not. So, I think I'm a pretty good example of a well traveled B&B guest.
omg_smile.gif
some places (usually the very small) have a tick list menu from which you have to order the night before but it is very much frowned upon as customers don't like it. It is from a set choice though not anything you like kind of deal.

omg_smile.gif
Right here @ Bridgewater Inn and Cottage. 1/2 B&B and 1/2 Cottages. Bfast is delivered to your room,family style on a tray. I guess you have never been here.Opened in 2002, with 1room,now have 3,hot tub sun room and a event Barn for guest only.
teeth_smile.gif

omg_smile.gif
Right here @ Bridgewater Inn and Cottage. 1/2 B&B and 1/2 Cottages. Bfast is delivered to your room,family style on a tray. I guess you have never been here.Opened in 2002, with 1room,now have 3,hot tub sun room and a event Barn for guest only.
teeth_smile.gif

So, your guests actually tell you what they want for breakfast every single morning of their stay and that's what you prepare for them?
No, I haven't been to your place, dang it!
regular_smile.gif

Usually we stay at B&Bs that are a bit larger than 3 rooms. Although, last year we stayed at a wine country B&B with only one room and it was fantastic! But, the very lovely and delicious breakfast that was delivered to our room.....COOK'S CHOICE!!
regular_smile.gif

Something that has not been covered on this thread, yet, but is covered on some others is price point. How far are you willing to go for a guest who gets a huge discount or pays much lower rates than the next inn? Who stays only one night? Do they get to call the shots?
I ask as I DO BELIEVE this is a factor and should be considered. At times we all fall into one group on this forum, as we have the common denominator of innkeeping, and yet as was mentioned, we are all different, styles, inns, menus, etc. We are all unique. Each and every one here.
So, if you are paying $125 per night can you be as picky as someone who is paying $250+ per night and staying a minimum of two nights? Should you indeed bend over backwards for that guest?
What say you? Does it make a difference in the least? .
I rarely give discounts but last weekend was an exception and it worked out well. We had family in the house for the holiday so the only available accommodation was our ocean-view cottage, which we normally get $300/night for with breakfast, housekeeping and all the usual extras like snacks, water, hospitality (that would be us). This fellow called at the last minute requesting the cottage for 2 nights at $200/night for a romantic getaway. Since I have been toying with the idea of offering the cottage as a guesthouse accommodation, this seemed like to perfect opportunity to try it out. Worked out great....for everyone. They figured out their own breakfast, I didn't have to fluff and straighten; in fact, I never met the young lady and only had a brief but pleasant discussion with the young man about dinner choices.
So in answer to your question JB, I would say that for us price point determines amenities and services, especially if the "deal" is not offered but asked for. In the case I mentioned, we negotiated the conditions before the reservation was made on my terms. At one point in the discussion this fellow asked, "How much would it be with breakfast?" My answer: "$300/night" 'cause I really did not want to interrupt a family holiday weekend by catering to guests.
Over the years I have found that I resent feeling pressured into giving more for less. We may lose a few guests because we do not offer deep discounts and deals, but at the end of the day I feel that my time and energy were amply rewarded. We are in this for the long haul....I suppose if we were trying to maximize the bottom line for resale we might feel differently.

omg_smile.gif
I don't take orders, per se, but if I only have one guest, then I have a discussion with them about breakfast the night before.... Something like, I'm planning to serve... does that work for you?
It's a lot easier when I only have one or two guests. As soon as I get multiple rooms or larger crowds (my max is 12 people) then it's absolutely cook's choice!
Eggs every day is not happening... people have no idea how many eggs we'd have to go through! Pancakes = 2 eggs for 6-10 people.
And Joey, what do you have against the Hershey chocolates?
=)
Kk.

Back