Possible TA, Innkeepers please stop it ... :)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK they arrived Fri eve, never read the confirmation OK, tell me they have there own food with them, I ask what they want for b'fast ( 3 options), they mentioned they had food requirements but ( not put on reservation & not told to me,ever) 1st b'fast is fine, this morn I take up homemade waffles, real syrup, poach pears, sausage/bacon & OJ,this is not OK they wanted eggs(never told to me), then say all Innkeepers ask the 1st night what they want & they get the same the next day...would you all stop this :) . They wanted me to go cook eggs and can we have more fresh pineapple like yesterday (pineapple yes..eggs no) here comes Trip Advisor. OH, I did not charge them for their 11 yr old son,& wont. WOOOO is ME :(

sorry you got them. My web site says COOKS CHOICE and always will.
Thank goodness most guests (I hope) know the B & B experience means NOT having the same thing every morning. How boring that would be!!

We don't ask what guests want for breakfast. We tell them what we're serving and will adapt slightly if there is an issue. If they don't tell us in advance, there's not much we can do.
So, they're talking thru their hats if they say 'all' innkeepers ask what they want to eat. I do know a couple of places that put out a menu, but that's what you get- what's on the menu. If eggs are not on the menu, you don't get them.

My guest never know what I'm fixin for breakfast till it is served! That is because I may not make my mind till that morning. If they do have a special diet then that is different. Bless you Mary, don't let them get you downand if they do do a review on T A don't worry you could turn it around and make it a positive!

There are innkeepers who ask, they phrase the allergy food aversion question into a way to becoming the personal cook and dietition for the guests. We all know this, we cannot deny it.
On other forums they call this customer service and hospitality and shame on all of you (me included) for not bowing down to every guest need and request and whim. This is why they don't come to our forum for long.
Sorry Mary, we know you provide outstanding service and you, like all of us, encounter the PITA from time to time.
pita.gif

A simple "every innkeeper runs their place differently, this is how I run mine. You didn't read your reservation confirmation so you never read our policies.
Hey if they brought their own food, then let them eat it. All their problem! I know...you are too nice to do anything but your best :)

We don't ask what guests want for breakfast. We tell them what we're serving and will adapt slightly if there is an issue. If they don't tell us in advance, there's not much we can do.
So, they're talking thru their hats if they say 'all' innkeepers ask what they want to eat. I do know a couple of places that put out a menu, but that's what you get- what's on the menu. If eggs are not on the menu, you don't get them..
Madeleine said:
So, they're talking thru their hats if they say 'all' innkeepers ask what they want to eat. I do know a couple of places that put out a menu, but that's what you get- what's on the menu. If eggs are not on the menu, you don't get them.
Yep, even in a restaurant, if it is not on the menu it is not going to be served.

Mary, so very sorry you have such PITAs this weekend. Catering to the likes of these people will only encourage future outrages at other b&b's. Answering their statement would be that we all do things differently and this is how this innkeeper does it.
We can not be hog tied to doing things due to the possibility of a negative review. If you receive a TA from this guest, answer it in the professional manor you handle your business, MOST people can read through these.
Good luck and hopefully they will be leaving today!!

So sorry these people are trying to manipulate you. Forget about a possible TA. As others said this would be an easy response even if they did.
I agree with you. Shame on those innkeepers who create such entitled guests. Years ago, I used to get the PITA who tried to cancel last minute saying that all the other b&bs on their trip didn't charge them. Guess what, EVERYONE in my region now seems to stand up to these people. The tides will turn on this breakfast nonsense too. Stick to your guns and tell them that one of the great things about b&bs is that they're all different....including breakfast. It gives them a choice of what kind of b&b they choose for themselves.
Hopefully, they'll never choose you again!

So, they're talking thru their hats if they say 'all' innkeepers ask what they want to eat. I do know a couple of places that put out a menu, but that's what you get- what's on the menu. If eggs are not on the menu, you don't get them..
Madeleine said:
Yep, even in a restaurant, if it is not on the menu it is not going to be served.
gillumhouse said:
Madeleine said:
that is so funny and so true, we are a little kitchen, they assume we have a grocery store and food delivery truck every week here? When people have said "I'll just have whole wheat toast ..." what toast? who said I have whole wheat bread to toast for you? It is humorous as I don't serve guests toast, I have three times in 8 years. Did I offer you toast?

Why aren't you charging them for the 11 year old? Do you normally charge?
I can promise that they weren't here, because it's chef's choice around here. And if I had pineapple, it's used up by day two.
Sorry you have these PITAs.

Madeleine said:
gillumhouse said:
Madeleine said:
that is so funny and so true, we are a little kitchen, they assume we have a grocery store and food delivery truck every week here? When people have said "I'll just have whole wheat toast ..." what toast? who said I have whole wheat bread to toast for you? It is humorous as I don't serve guests toast, I have three times in 8 years. Did I offer you toast?
what makes me laugh is we do self service toast as we find it is less wastful and when they come down I say help yourself to everything on the buffet, would you like tea or coffee and when i bring it I will take the order for your cooked breakfast. There is a huge basket full of bread and a 4 slice toaster all in plain view from all angles. I bring the hot drinks and they say can I have toast "yes feel free to help yourself" and they look at me like im bonkers so I turn round and point - DUH!!!

Why aren't you charging them for the 11 year old? Do you normally charge?
I can promise that they weren't here, because it's chef's choice around here. And if I had pineapple, it's used up by day two.
Sorry you have these PITAs..
Yes I normaly charge for children but they booked 11/23 @9pm for 11/25 the only room opened for Thanksgiving wknd.2 other rooms were booked long ago.Funny when they checked out(after I wrote the above comments)they were very nice.Came into the hot tub room(all 3 of them) and were changed guest,just very nice
thumbs_up.gif

Oh Mary….sorry to hear that you are getting agita over these guests! They will be gone soon enough and it will be their loss to have missed your freshly prepared delights. Why didn’t you charge them for the 3rd person? At least you would have a few extra $ to pay for the Tums you’ll need until they are gone.
sad_smile.gif

We learned early on that no good deed goes unpunished when you have demanding guests. Setting limits and boundaries was not a difficult thing for me to do (I taught 16-18 year olds for 30 years…and survived!) but DH needs to be constantly reminded. There is a certain kind of person who will make us all jump through hoops to win the smallest smile….and even then they will write a less than perfect TA review. So we try to be kind, consistent but firm in doing only those things that work for us and hope that the worst of the PIAs has never heard of TA!
wink_smile.gif

We do a 3 course, served breakfast in the dining room at 8:30. Chef’s (That would be me) choice. The entrée is served between 8:30-9:00 to accommodate the late arrivals and muffins, fruit, cereal etc are available at the table until 9:30. We adjust this time by 1/2 hour when we have folks who are attending a seminar for the week but we know that in advance and can plan for it. Whenever I take a reservation (We insist on speaking to the guest as a part of the reservation process and this is essential to us), I ask them if they have any dietary allergies: gluten, nuts, dairy or eggs or health conditions like diabetes that we should be aware of as we prepare their breakfast. That’s it. We do not cater to preferences (“I don’t like melon.” “I don’t eat eggs that look like eggs.” “I want pineapple, waffles, eggs benedict” You have GOT to be kidding me!) but we do make an effort make sure that everyone finds something on the table that suites them, whether it is granola and yogurt, home-baked bread and jam, fresh fruit or the hot entrée. Even so, we recently had a vegetarian who never told us that she would not eat meat and then complained on TA that she didn't get an alternative non-meat protein with her pancakes. (At least she owned up to the fact in the review that she never told us that she was a vegetarian....duh...we are good but we are not mind readers!)
pita.gif

Oh Mary….sorry to hear that you are getting agita over these guests! They will be gone soon enough and it will be their loss to have missed your freshly prepared delights. Why didn’t you charge them for the 3rd person? At least you would have a few extra $ to pay for the Tums you’ll need until they are gone.
sad_smile.gif

We learned early on that no good deed goes unpunished when you have demanding guests. Setting limits and boundaries was not a difficult thing for me to do (I taught 16-18 year olds for 30 years…and survived!) but DH needs to be constantly reminded. There is a certain kind of person who will make us all jump through hoops to win the smallest smile….and even then they will write a less than perfect TA review. So we try to be kind, consistent but firm in doing only those things that work for us and hope that the worst of the PIAs has never heard of TA!
wink_smile.gif

We do a 3 course, served breakfast in the dining room at 8:30. Chef’s (That would be me) choice. The entrée is served between 8:30-9:00 to accommodate the late arrivals and muffins, fruit, cereal etc are available at the table until 9:30. We adjust this time by 1/2 hour when we have folks who are attending a seminar for the week but we know that in advance and can plan for it. Whenever I take a reservation (We insist on speaking to the guest as a part of the reservation process and this is essential to us), I ask them if they have any dietary allergies: gluten, nuts, dairy or eggs or health conditions like diabetes that we should be aware of as we prepare their breakfast. That’s it. We do not cater to preferences (“I don’t like melon.” “I don’t eat eggs that look like eggs.” “I want pineapple, waffles, eggs benedict” You have GOT to be kidding me!) but we do make an effort make sure that everyone finds something on the table that suites them, whether it is granola and yogurt, home-baked bread and jam, fresh fruit or the hot entrée. Even so, we recently had a vegetarian who never told us that she would not eat meat and then complained on TA that she didn't get an alternative non-meat protein with her pancakes. (At least she owned up to the fact in the review that she never told us that she was a vegetarian....duh...we are good but we are not mind readers!)
pita.gif
An 'alternative, non-meat protein'? Oh, dear guest, go straight to hell. That is ridiculous. Like Joey says, 'The choices are take it or leave it.'

Something that has not been covered on this thread, yet, but is covered on some others is price point. How far are you willing to go for a guest who gets a huge discount or pays much lower rates than the next inn? Who stays only one night? Do they get to call the shots?
I ask as I DO BELIEVE this is a factor and should be considered. At times we all fall into one group on this forum, as we have the common denominator of innkeeping, and yet as was mentioned, we are all different, styles, inns, menus, etc. We are all unique. Each and every one here.
So, if you are paying $125 per night can you be as picky as someone who is paying $250+ per night and staying a minimum of two nights? Should you indeed bend over backwards for that guest?
What say you? Does it make a difference in the least?

Something that has not been covered on this thread, yet, but is covered on some others is price point. How far are you willing to go for a guest who gets a huge discount or pays much lower rates than the next inn? Who stays only one night? Do they get to call the shots?
I ask as I DO BELIEVE this is a factor and should be considered. At times we all fall into one group on this forum, as we have the common denominator of innkeeping, and yet as was mentioned, we are all different, styles, inns, menus, etc. We are all unique. Each and every one here.
So, if you are paying $125 per night can you be as picky as someone who is paying $250+ per night and staying a minimum of two nights? Should you indeed bend over backwards for that guest?
What say you? Does it make a difference in the least? .
Joey Bloggs said:
What say you? Does it make a difference in the least?
Because we have more opportunity with guests staying longer, we do tend to cater to them more. If someone is here for one night while the other guests are on their 3rd or 4th night, it's hard to cater to the one-nighter (unless they are repeats). Especially because a lot of the one-nighters have told us they are on their way to a week-long stay at beachfront cottage. And they've asked for a discount because the week is costing them so much!
I do have friends who are in the higher-priced realm (over $250/night) and they do get the 'cater to me' crowd. I think a lot of it is location as well. Certain locations/towns/areas seem to draw the 'cater to me' crowd.
As for what we do if the guest has asked for and gotten a nice discount? They get the same service as the full price guest. But I'm less likely to expend a lot of money buying specialty food. A for instance is tonight. On the menu for tomorrow is a french toast. There will not be berries on the FT tomorrow because they are too expensive at this time of year, they will go to waste and these guests paid less than the going rate. Why would I fork over an additional $15 for berries?

is it possible they don't know they are making unreasonable requests demands? i suppose it is possible ... but i don't think so.
i don't believe it that 'all innkeepers ask what they want the next day.' do they stay where there are little restaurants within the place? do they stay where they are the only guests?
i've stayed at more than a few places and mostly i have been served cook's choice. (i really like that phrase) at a big place, four mornings of quiche in a row and i opted for the cornflakes. i was not asked what i wanted.
at a very small place, i was the only guest, and the innkeeper asked me if i wanted scrambled eggs or pancakes the next morning. that was the exception to what i've experienced.

is it possible they don't know they are making unreasonable requests demands? i suppose it is possible ... but i don't think so.
i don't believe it that 'all innkeepers ask what they want the next day.' do they stay where there are little restaurants within the place? do they stay where they are the only guests?
i've stayed at more than a few places and mostly i have been served cook's choice. (i really like that phrase) at a big place, four mornings of quiche in a row and i opted for the cornflakes. i was not asked what i wanted.
at a very small place, i was the only guest, and the innkeeper asked me if i wanted scrambled eggs or pancakes the next morning. that was the exception to what i've experienced..
and Seashanty, like you I would have probably just said "anything is fine" and not even voiced a preference. Surprise me! :)
There are people who are used to people doing what they say, all the time, they don't break this way of being when they go for a weekend getaway. Should they get their way if they pay twice what they pay elsewhere? Maybe. I am just bringing this up, if the location is very pricey, then there better not be hershey chocolates. haha And if they get it as a Groupon deal, youbetchya some things have been cut, they need to be cut!
But I agree, if they had experienced this they assumed it was what all the inns do. I can see that.

sad_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

pita.gif
An 'alternative, non-meat protein'? Oh, dear guest, go straight to hell. That is ridiculous. Like Joey says, 'The choices are take it or leave it.'
Madeleine said:
Love it! "oh, dear guest, go straight to hell"
Ever seen the show "Six feet Under?" Sometimes they show these scenes & you think it's real & then they flash to the person just sitting there & it's what they would LIKE to be saying/doing. Hehe. I like to imagine those "say/do" scenes sometimes...

Back