Potpourri-Free B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Potpourri-Free B
http://on.wsj.com/r1XHkF via@WSJ
New spins on old inns ditch the dolls, doilies and group breakfasts for modern flair and iPod
"presided over by an omnipresent, rule- obsessed caretaker."
article here
JB - - and yet, there is a part of me that is offended at this, and of course the BWTS campaign sent this out on FB. How many inns would be on BWTS if they all said NO TO DOILIES? The part that says "let me do what i want to do, this is my million dollar baby."
To address that quote, perhaps they have never cleaned up VOMIT from the ceiling and walls? or
potty-mouth.gif
that destroyed a mattress due to some issue with incontinence? Perhaps they have never had someone rummaging through their personal belongings and getting into innkeeper quarters? Perhaps they have never found a loaded gun on a nightstand?
Perhaps, just perhaps, we can all be unique and who we are, market the way we are. Perhaps this is why many are not joining the BWTS campaign, or PAII.
I am one step away from curmudgeon, one step. :)

I read that article that came through a FB feed and I also immediately caught that phrase in there. I would venture to say that type of innkeeper is in the minority though. ALL types of lodging properties have "rules" to protect their guests and property, they would be foolish not to have them.
I read the reviews on one of the properties mentioned in the article - a new lodging property located in a city where I used to live. What do the negative reviews have in common? The lack of a visible on-site innkeeper! So clearly, there are people out there that find comfort in having someone that warmly greets them and that they can go to for concierge services.
I think it's wise to provide customers with what they want in amenities to keep heads in beds, but B&Bs/inns are unique - otherwise they'd follow whatever the current trend is in hotel lodging.
I don't understand why there has to be the negative first in these articles, and then they attempt to put a positive spin on it? Or is this just me?

Oh yeah that lawsuit in Illinois I think where the innkeeper/owner was out working in the garden and someone came in and attacked a guest. What do they want? Can't have it both ways, safety security, front door wide open no rules? Three couples today, it was a front door wide open morning.
And yet one of them had some guy come up to her as she was exitingthe foyer AFTER check in to come in and dine. No we are not a restaurant. She, being wise, said this is a B&B, and I am a guest and didn't let him in, but if he came today/this morning - I am in the kitchen alone sweating out the breakfast, and they are all outside, he wanders in and goes into the guest rooms? Whose fault will it be then?
Just sayin...guests have let people in plenty of times before and I ask them, why do we have a code on the door with door closed?

I read that article that came through a FB feed and I also immediately caught that phrase in there. I would venture to say that type of innkeeper is in the minority though. ALL types of lodging properties have "rules" to protect their guests and property, they would be foolish not to have them.
I read the reviews on one of the properties mentioned in the article - a new lodging property located in a city where I used to live. What do the negative reviews have in common? The lack of a visible on-site innkeeper! So clearly, there are people out there that find comfort in having someone that warmly greets them and that they can go to for concierge services.
I think it's wise to provide customers with what they want in amenities to keep heads in beds, but B&Bs/inns are unique - otherwise they'd follow whatever the current trend is in hotel lodging.
I don't understand why there has to be the negative first in these articles, and then they attempt to put a positive spin on it? Or is this just me?.
Samster said:
I don't understand why there has to be the negative first in these articles, and then they attempt to put a positive spin on it? Or is this just me?
Most of them all look like boutique hotels to me, not B&Bs. I feel they are using the B&B moniker to get good press. Here in Charlottesville half of us are historical, half are new and they all book just fine.

I just posted a Press Release, and it in I hope the POSITIVE SWING will bring more guests to B&B's. I know Riki is Certified Green Lodging in Virginia, so this may bring more attention to THAT as well. :) Follow the link in the article, if interested in becoming a Certified Wildlife Habitat by the NWF.
I will post it inn the news when my google alert catches it later on...

I just posted a Press Release, and it in I hope the POSITIVE SWING will bring more guests to B&B's. I know Riki is Certified Green Lodging in Virginia, so this may bring more attention to THAT as well. :) Follow the link in the article, if interested in becoming a Certified Wildlife Habitat by the NWF.
I will post it inn the news when my google alert catches it later on....
Interesting JB I'll have to look into that when I have time next year. We have deer, red fox, hummingbirds, butterflies and I try to encourage the "good bugs" out here.
RIki

Joey Bloggs said:
THANK YOU!!!!! I just did it and became certified. I'll work on a press release and see what happens! This is a great resource JB, thanks again!

My next door neighbour has a(n illegal) pig.... can I send it your way?

Joey Bloggs said:
THANK YOU!!!!! I just did it and became certified. I'll work on a press release and see what happens! This is a great resource JB, thanks again!
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I can picture the garden sign in your setting! Well done. Little did we all know we already had these habitats in place! I bet you hit all the right indicators in each section. Amazing isn't it. :)

I think these are people that want people that can do for themselves and have so many damn gadgets that dont have a clue how to meet someone else that may be more interesting that the damn i-phone or pad or whatever they call it these days...and of all those "new" things they are probably not a one "green" in them...
When we return to our WV property I want it to become the same as your B & B. We are going to our new position and this new B & B has 3 acres of park like setting-perfect for all kinds of wildlife. I became a master gardener and would love to become a master naturalist will look into this when i go to the new place.

What they seem to be saying - IMNVHO - is that we should all now become "cookie-cutter" what THEY consider modern, cutting edge. I truly think people are coming to me BECAUSE of what we show in the photos and talk about on the web site. I have doilies and I have dolls (ONLY because the Duchess brought & left them - but they are here) but the guests DO talk about them as they admire them or talk about someone they know who would love them. I ain't changing who and what I am because some twit I never met and who was never here does not like doilies or dolls or "traditional" anything. I do not hover, but I am almost always available to my guests - and I think nothing is more frustrating than to need help or a question answered and no one there to ask.
The wonderful thing about B & Bs is that each one IS different - in personality and decor. I do wish they would get writers who love B & Bs instead of hotel mentality people.

What they seem to be saying - IMNVHO - is that we should all now become "cookie-cutter" what THEY consider modern, cutting edge. I truly think people are coming to me BECAUSE of what we show in the photos and talk about on the web site. I have doilies and I have dolls (ONLY because the Duchess brought & left them - but they are here) but the guests DO talk about them as they admire them or talk about someone they know who would love them. I ain't changing who and what I am because some twit I never met and who was never here does not like doilies or dolls or "traditional" anything. I do not hover, but I am almost always available to my guests - and I think nothing is more frustrating than to need help or a question answered and no one there to ask.
The wonderful thing about B & Bs is that each one IS different - in personality and decor. I do wish they would get writers who love B & Bs instead of hotel mentality people..
I agree with this we are meant to be indpendant and different - When my friend Tabs first came to do B&B here about 2 years ago from another city and didn't know anyone she was heavily influenced by two of our mutual friends friend 1 - everything in here place has colour each room has a scheme and is different (In a nice co-ordinated way not mad psycotic way) friend 2 - everything is very neutral and swop roundable. She asked me which is the best way - I said neither it has to be the Tabs way! I said you have to let people into those rooms and you have to sell them to your customers you can't do that if you arn't happy with them. I did point out that painting them floor and ceiling in red with matching carpet might be a bit unsettling though! she has gone for plane cream walls with coloured accessories as a happy medium. I am in a row with 6 B&B's none of us are even slightly the same and thats how its meant to be! doilly people go to doilly places and are happy and the ultra modern people go to those places. On three in a bed once there was a B&B in durham very ultra modern shower had about 8 buttons and knobs - older couple could't operate it was a nightmare it so wasn't the place for them and so on and so forth. I would however say that a modern rather than victorian style of bathroom plumbing is a must! (buy that i mean what is in the walls not fixtures!)

Back