Power Scrubbers? Do they work on grout likes?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
I have a huge task ahead, cleaning 8 baths of tile, any chance a power scrubber might work? Anyone have any experience with them? Also, how best to clean tracks of shower doors?

I had a small hand power scrubber. It worked ok, but the best grout cleaner I found was Magic Eraser.

Don't know about the grout but to clean the shower doors rails- take the shower doors out first! Softscrub works. And you can spritz a little bleach in the corners. Use a toothbrush to get in the corners.

If the gaskets on the shower doors are really dirty/moldy, you can disassemble the whole thing and replace the gaskets. We did that and what a difference it makes! The whole shower immediately looks 100% cleaner.

If the gaskets on the shower doors are really dirty/moldy, you can disassemble the whole thing and replace the gaskets. We did that and what a difference it makes! The whole shower immediately looks 100% cleaner..
Thanks, Execllent Idea, that might be the fastest and best thing to do.

Don't know about the grout but to clean the shower doors rails- take the shower doors out first! Softscrub works. And you can spritz a little bleach in the corners. Use a toothbrush to get in the corners..
Thanks, not looking forward to doing 8 baths with a toothbrush.
sad_smile.gif
Have had good luck with magic eraser too, but was hoping for something a little faster. I plan on resealing the grout, and polishing the tile so it will be easier to clean in the future. Maybe a case of magic erasers?

What is a power scrubber?.
B&D make a couple of versions cordless spinning brushes, one hand-held, one longer handled. Mixed reviews, but sounds like could save some time, just wondered if anyone here had used them. Might give them a "whirl" just to see.

Don't know about the grout but to clean the shower doors rails- take the shower doors out first! Softscrub works. And you can spritz a little bleach in the corners. Use a toothbrush to get in the corners..
sad_smile.gif
Have had good luck with magic eraser too, but was hoping for something a little faster. I plan on resealing the grout, and polishing the tile so it will be easier to clean in the future. Maybe a case of magic erasers?
Oh golly! The toothbrush was just for the rails, not the grout! The first time will take awhile if things weren't really clean from before (we had this problem) but once it is clean, if you keep up with it, it goes really quickly.
We do find we have to reseal (not grout) every couple of years. The caulk loosens up, the water gets in behind it and it molds from the back. Dig it out, clean really well and put down a new layer. There is nothing like clean caulking and grout!

sad_smile.gif
Oh golly! The toothbrush was just for the rails, not the grout! The first time will take awhile if things weren't really clean from before (we had this problem) but once it is clean, if you keep up with it, it goes really quickly.
We do find we have to reseal (not grout) every couple of years. The caulk loosens up, the water gets in behind it and it molds from the back. Dig it out, clean really well and put down a new layer. There is nothing like clean caulking and grout!
When we first bought our place, my husband dug out the grout from the tiles around the shower/tub. He replaced it all with silicone caulking. We haven't had a problem since.

sad_smile.gif
white pine said:
sad_smile.gif
I laugh as now you "get" why we sometimes recoil when people come here and give advice and can't understand why we don't jump for joy. Yes! we said 8 bathrooms, yes we said breakfast for 12 people for months on end, yes we said diff guests day in and day out. People have no clue UNTIL they are "in it."
We warn aspirings about things they think sounds like a good idea until they realize it is impossible to accomplish (time or energy wise), and they don't get why we say things, like people showing up hours late for breakfast. Why is this a big deal? Why should we care we are in the service/hospitality industry? Because of everything else we have to do. We don;t just make breakfast. We don't have fairies who run the inn, we do, if we are stuck waiting in the kitchen for hours and hours then NOTHING ELSE GETS DONE!
"Gee why doesn't that inn answer their phone at 8am when I call?" Or "Gee why don't they answer at 11pm when I call?"
Just using your example as an example. So when one guest rooms think they are the only one the universe the rest of our day goes to pot! This is why we need these policies. Today guests wanted to COME BACK and check out after noon. Nope, doesn't work that way. I have to get stuff IN THE WASHER and there is a routine. Beware the "You are an inn so you are nice and have to do what I ask" scenario. You made a fab breakfast and a lovely room so you HAVE to let us check out late, or bend the rules, as we are special.
An inn without a routine is inn ruin, will be my mantra, you must have a flow or you will drown.

sad_smile.gif
Last year we had contractors staying, and the place was closed for a couple of years before. There were no vent fans, and mildew and crud grew in many places. I gave things a quick clean, and was told "there is Deb clean, clean, man clean, and contractor clean" by the guys and was assured it was "clean". I think most guests expect at least "Deb clean" or better! I fully expected to have a great deal to do, still waiting for warm weather here so we can get the water on and I can hit the ground running. I will hire some help, but I know I am fussy and want to get it done RIGHT the first time and seal it. Not looking forward to picking out all the old caulk either!

sad_smile.gif
Last year we had contractors staying, and the place was closed for a couple of years before. There were no vent fans, and mildew and crud grew in many places. I gave things a quick clean, and was told "there is Deb clean, clean, man clean, and contractor clean" by the guys and was assured it was "clean". I think most guests expect at least "Deb clean" or better! I fully expected to have a great deal to do, still waiting for warm weather here so we can get the water on and I can hit the ground running. I will hire some help, but I know I am fussy and want to get it done RIGHT the first time and seal it. Not looking forward to picking out all the old caulk either!
I think most of us here have 'our clean' as the standard. And given the number of guests we've had to remark again and again about how clean everything is, I think 'guest clean' is quite a few rungs down from 'our clean'. 'Guy clean' can be very low in what they will tolerate (as long as it doesn't move, it's clean enough). NOT how well they would clean if it was their job. It's all relative with them. It's a much more relaxed way to live.

sad_smile.gif
I think most of us here have 'our clean' as the standard. And given the number of guests we've had to remark again and again about how clean everything is, I think 'guest clean' is quite a few rungs down from 'our clean'. 'Guy clean' can be very low in what they will tolerate (as long as it doesn't move, it's clean enough). NOT how well they would clean if it was their job. It's all relative with them. It's a much more relaxed way to live.
Good to know, then there is "cleaning frenzy" clean, when DH just gets out of the way. Doing that now in the kitchen......

sad_smile.gif
Good to know, then there is "cleaning frenzy" clean, when DH just gets out of the way. Doing that now in the kitchen......
white pine said:
I generally do that kind of cleaning when I'm alone. Last time I went after the stove with a toothbrush to get all the grease out.

Yeah and just remember you have to get IN THOSE TUBS/Showers to get them clean. It is a Private moment, not a good view when you are bent all over the place scrubbing.

sad_smile.gif
white pine said:
Last year we had contractors staying, and the place was closed for a couple of years before. There were no vent fans, and mildew and crud grew in many places. I gave things a quick clean, and was told "there is Deb clean, clean, man clean, and contractor clean" by the guys and was assured it was "clean". I think most guests expect at least "Deb clean" or better! I fully expected of best power scrubbers to have a great deal to do, still waiting for warm weather here so we can get the water on and I can hit the ground running. I will hire some help, but I know I am fussy and want to get it done RIGHT the first time and seal it. Not looking forward to picking out all the old caulk either!
the gaskets on the shower doors are really dirty/moldy, you can disassemble the whole thing and replace the gaskets. We did that and what a difference it makes! The whole shower immediately looks 100% cleaner.

Back