Presentation and Perception

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
this probably applies to every aspect of innkeeping ... like how you arrange pillows or things on a desk, or how the towels are folded, little touches ...
i am thinking of the 'fruit course'
luscious wedges of canteloupe, watermelon, fresh blueberries and nice firm bananas get barely a glance when set out on the sideboard
plated and arranged a little of each of the same and 'presented' with a dessert fork to each guest as i'm cooking their eggs. they get raves. interesting.
i'll have to practice doing the drizzle of some sauce on the plate for under the fruit or over it ... i bet that gets a wow kind of rave .... and many of you do this so you know.

When I do a fresh fruit plate, guests seem to like it better & polish it off than when the same fruit is either cut up or presented in melon ball form plus other fruits. Maybe it's because all of the elements are separate on the fruit plate? This is a mystery to me too. But it's harder to do the fruit plates when I have a lot of guests because I like to chill the plates with the fruit on there. I generally just keep the fruit plates unadorned, except for a garnish of something.

I usually put the various fruits in a bowl and sort of toss them around to mix them up so the guests can take as much or as little as they want and what they like. Sometimes the blueberries are left behind - something DH does not mind at all. I used to fix individual dishes but there was too much waste that way.

A nice garnish, as I am sure most of you know, is fresh mint. A dollop of vanilla yogurt with a sprinkle of granola over the top for crunch can change up the same old fruit.

A nice garnish, as I am sure most of you know, is fresh mint. A dollop of vanilla yogurt with a sprinkle of granola over the top for crunch can change up the same old fruit..
In addition to using the sprig of mint in the fruit bowl, you can do a very pretty garnish with 2 or 3 (in threes is actually better) mint leaves with a cherry at each side of a platter of french toast or pancakes or the baked pineapple toast.

A nice garnish, as I am sure most of you know, is fresh mint. A dollop of vanilla yogurt with a sprinkle of granola over the top for crunch can change up the same old fruit..
Yep, that is an old stand by
regular_smile.gif

Just remember...you are trying to save time and money at your place on breakfast. If your guests are leaving early as you indicate, why would you spend all the time doing a wonderul fruit arrangement when they will rush you for breakfast and be gone. Also you are dealing with more rooms.., you are doing it yourself. So if you have the time...yes do it...but I wouldn't if I were serving 16 for breakfast...and at different times.

You all know me, I will have the fruit in any form or shape. Fancy, plain, stuck on a plate with no hooplah. Just fruit. When I ate breakfast out in Charlotte I looked around and saw ZERO fruit in this restraurant. None to be had.

I changed the fruit bowls. Now I have a nice, square, white bowl that holds slightly less than the previous glass bowl but it gets wows.

Back