presentation makes the difference

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i started to post this in another thread but decided it needs its own place.
something i saw at another b&b and i took the cue from them ... just 6 chocolate kisses arranged in a circle on a little metal tray. i thought ... it's a small thing but the presentation makes it look so nice! something about that little shiny tray was so appealing. and at carole's, the bigbig chocolate bar leans against the pillows with a note card ... it just looks so special.
i had honeymooners coming and the bride was all about romance and having things 'pretty'. it was last minute, i had no idea they were on their honeymoon! i didn't think my place was terribly romantic so i sat in the room a bit trying to think what i would do if i was setting it up for a romantic nite for me.
i put a basket next to the tub (it has a counter around it) and filled it with LOTS of the standard amenities i had on hand ... body wash and soap and lotion and rolled up little wash cloths and tied them with raffia. put two of the flameless candles on either side of the tub. i took the robes down from where they usually hang and draped them on the bed like a his and hers. turned on one little lamp in the room and when i checked them in, i turned on the electric fireplace. i set up a little tray with the usual chocolate welcome candy on the bed. they were oohing and aahing and were very pleased with their 'romantic room'.
whatever the extra touch is, arranging it so it has oomph goes such a long way.
i am sure you must have lots of great ideas.

Wow! That is SO true. Small digression, but this does cover 'presentation'...we've had guests ooh and aah about the single sliced strawberry on the side of the plate at breakfast. And I know JBJ mentioned something about the number of items...3 looks 'planned' and 4 looks 'cheap, like you don't want to spring for 5'. (That was my interpretation and not exactly how she put it.)
I often find the Hershey's kisses arranged in the rooms when I clean. They're still there when the guests check-out so they go in the trash, but it certainly looks like a 'love offering'.

I scatter the red and white silk rose petals on the bed and toss some Hershey's kisses (dark are wrapped in purple, cordials in red, caramel in orange) among the petals - only if it is a couple. Singles I put the chocolate in a pretty dish on the dresser.

i love it!
kathleen, would you put petals out for a single ever? does that sound goofy? i am a lot of times a single ... never have had petals on the bed as a couple .... what do you think?

I scatter the red and white silk rose petals on the bed and toss some Hershey's kisses (dark are wrapped in purple, cordials in red, caramel in orange) among the petals - only if it is a couple. Singles I put the chocolate in a pretty dish on the dresser..
gillumhouse said:
toss some Hershey's kisses (dark are wrapped in purple, cordials in red, caramel in orange) among the petals -
Are you concerned that one might get overlooked and melted into your comforter? ;)

i love it!
kathleen, would you put petals out for a single ever? does that sound goofy? i am a lot of times a single ... never have had petals on the bed as a couple .... what do you think?.
I don't usually, but why not! I would not put the kisses on the bed for a single though. I usually make sure they know the kisses are on the bed by saying "Lovers need kisses." That way they are looking for them.

I scatter the red and white silk rose petals on the bed and toss some Hershey's kisses (dark are wrapped in purple, cordials in red, caramel in orange) among the petals - only if it is a couple. Singles I put the chocolate in a pretty dish on the dresser..
gillumhouse said:
toss some Hershey's kisses (dark are wrapped in purple, cordials in red, caramel in orange) among the petals -
Are you concerned that one might get overlooked and melted into your comforter? ;)
I do not put them on the bed until the morning of arrival and I let them know there are "kisses for lovers" so they are looking for them. So far there have not been any problems - yeehaa for foil wrap.

This is my first post and I am so thankful to have found ya'll. You have helped DH and myself unfold into the B&B world.
Our very first guests just 5 weeks ago sat down to breakfast and asked for jam. Well I had everything just right, poured over the menu for weeks, got up early in anticiaption of my very first B&B breakfast and I forgot about jam or jelly....
I rushed to the fridge and found a 3/4 gone sqeeze bottle of grocery store brand grape jam for DH. I squeezed what out what I could and put it into the prettiest looking tiny bowl I could find and served it.
After breakfast, I had said that I hoped everything at was ok and the wife replied "That was the best jam I have ever had it was sooooo delicious". I could hardly keep from laughing out loud.
Right there I was sure God set that all up just for me so that I would relax. What a fantastic lesson in "Presentation is everything".
blessings

This is my first post and I am so thankful to have found ya'll. You have helped DH and myself unfold into the B&B world.
Our very first guests just 5 weeks ago sat down to breakfast and asked for jam. Well I had everything just right, poured over the menu for weeks, got up early in anticiaption of my very first B&B breakfast and I forgot about jam or jelly....
I rushed to the fridge and found a 3/4 gone sqeeze bottle of grocery store brand grape jam for DH. I squeezed what out what I could and put it into the prettiest looking tiny bowl I could find and served it.
After breakfast, I had said that I hoped everything at was ok and the wife replied "That was the best jam I have ever had it was sooooo delicious". I could hardly keep from laughing out loud.
Right there I was sure God set that all up just for me so that I would relax. What a fantastic lesson in "Presentation is everything".
blessings.
promisedland said:
blessings
Good for you! Guests ALWAYS ask for what you don't plan for...Tabasco sauce for pancakes? No, he wanted it for the sausage! Still, not something I planned on but we keep a teensy bottle on hand for ONE guest who always asks for it!
I put a scoop of jam in a small 'individual butter dish' that I get at Crate & Barrel (have seen them at LNT & BB&B, also). Salsa in a square, white 'ramekin'. No one does this at home (out of the jar most of time) so these little, gracious touches go a long way!

Welcome PromisedLand Innkeeper! We hope to hear more stories - that is my favorite part of innkeeping hands down.
welcome.gif

Had a lovely presentation of my turndown treats where I stayed recently - a small silver dish (a little smaller than a saucer) with a pretty napkin, topped with a truffle or chocolate dipped strawberry, and placed on the turned down bed. Sweet!

blessings.
welcome!
how amazing that the jam tasted so good when presented in a pretty little bowl!
wink_smile.gif

innovation and creativity ... you've got the makings of a great innkeeper.

Welcome. Promise. I often use antique custard cups for jelly and apple butter. They also work niccely next to the cup for someone having tea (for the used tea bag or infuser). Good work "thinking on your feet" with the jelly. Welcome to our world.

blessings.
Everything is about the feel. If it feels special to them you have done your job. Guests always wonder why they feel so relaxed after they have been here. We make them feel special without feeling like we are intruding on their time with each other. I love this job.

Back