Pretend you are a business guest...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
...what do you need a B&B to have? (BTW, about those folks who need to have a full 'office' with copy machine, etc, there's a hotel in town that does that, so that's where they'd have to go.)
What would make this the perfect stay for you as a business person and as a human being?

What I'm hearing and seeing...
private ensuite bathrooms with showers
wifi
iron
good cell service
flexible check in
early breakfast time
desk or similar for computer
within a few miles of business destination
at least one really excellent restaurant, plus several good ones
some don't watch TV at all, but others really want it
some kind of newspaper (even a local one) is nice, too
fans and/or white noise machine
plus the same as we all want... good, clean, quiet, comfortable
I love my business travelers! They're clean, pleasant, interesting... Hopefully I'll get a lot more of them.
=)
Kk.

If it were me on business:
Privacy (I don't want to go in and out of innkeeper spaces)
Security (private parking, a feel of safety)
Rooms without clutter and bric-a-brac
Private bath is not even mentioned as it is a must
A/C
WiFi
Cable TV
Stuff of interest like books
Full breakfast
Comfortable surroundings
Everything else I would use at the business I was visiting or airport or wherever I go on business. I do not expect the B&B to BE A KINKOS, nor a dry cleaner.

A/C
WiFi
Cable TV
Full breakfast
Comfortable surroundings
Everything else I would use at the business I was visiting or airport or wherever I go on business. I do not expect the B&B to BE A KINKOS, nor a dry cleaner..
Do you mean I should not mention the bath is private or that I didn't mention the bath is private and should?
I need to add the bit about paved, lighted parking.

A/C
WiFi
Cable TV
Full breakfast
Comfortable surroundings
Everything else I would use at the business I was visiting or airport or wherever I go on business. I do not expect the B&B to BE A KINKOS, nor a dry cleaner..
Do you mean I should not mention the bath is private or that I didn't mention the bath is private and should?
Bree said:
I was saying there is no way a business guest would want anything BUT private in-room bathroom. Yes it needs to be mentioned - as many people have misconceptions about that, altho lately I am seeing new B&B's opening with shared baths (please people don't set this industry back 20 years!)

Added to the others' lists: Flexible breakfast times. EARLY and good coffee! And probably at least access to a fax machine and maybe a printer to print boarding passes, etc.

I've yet to have anyone need a fax, but they like to print boarding passes. But then, the last one was interested in the boarding pass, was provided my laptop, but in the end decided not to bother. She's coming back, though!
Every business guest I've had needs an early breakfast... 7:30 is pretty typical. And some have been first time B&B stays... who thought they all had shared baths and were happy to learn otherwise.
=)
Kk.

I do travel on business and the list is spot on. I'd never dream of sharing a bath. I do need coffee early - good, strong coffee with real creamer. I need DSL, preferably wireless, and don't care how charming your place is, I'll stay down the road with internet.
Early breakfast is a must and it doesn't have to be grand if I'm on business. Flexible checkin is must since I'm usually at the mercy of the airlines. A comfy chair and ottoman is a definite plus because after a day of work it's nice to put my feet up.
I seldom use public rooms in a B&B when I'm traveling on business so I like to see a picture of a room with a comfy chair, preferably with an ottoman so I can put my feet up and use my laptop. I booked this room on my last trip because of the chair!
pix12.jpg

I do travel on business and the list is spot on. I'd never dream of sharing a bath. I do need coffee early - good, strong coffee with real creamer. I need DSL, preferably wireless, and don't care how charming your place is, I'll stay down the road with internet.
Early breakfast is a must and it doesn't have to be grand if I'm on business. Flexible checkin is must since I'm usually at the mercy of the airlines. A comfy chair and ottoman is a definite plus because after a day of work it's nice to put my feet up.
I seldom use public rooms in a B&B when I'm traveling on business so I like to see a picture of a room with a comfy chair, preferably with an ottoman so I can put my feet up and use my laptop. I booked this room on my last trip because of the chair!
pix12.jpg
I would have booked for that chair, too! That's something I'm working on...chairs. I'm almost there. It's the desk space that's tough.

pix12.jpg
I would have booked for that chair, too! That's something I'm working on...chairs. I'm almost there. It's the desk space that's tough.
I seldom sit at a desk in a room because I'm not writing reports or anything while on the road, just keeping up with email, the bank, mapping.
You might be able to find small round dining tables and chairs instead of desks. A 36" round doesn't take up much space. Travelers don't really need something with drawer space.

pix12.jpg
I seldom sit at a desk in a room because I'm not writing reports or anything while on the road, just keeping up with email, the bank, mapping.
You might be able to find small round dining tables and chairs instead of desks. A 36" round doesn't take up much space. Travelers don't really need something with drawer space.
springlady said:
If I had 3 extra feet of space in my rooms, I'd offer in-room breakfast and a whole slew of other amenities! But, glad to know that the comfy chair thing works. I like to spread everything out on the bed, which is why I love getting a king bed when I'm alone. My big wish is for bigger pillows. The pillows I've seen lately are teensy, smaller than a standard size. 4 of them, but they barely make it across the bed and they don't offer enough support to sit up in bed and read.

pix12.jpg
springlady said:
I agree about not needing something with a drawer. I never put anything in a desk drawer when I traveled for work because I was afraid of forgetting something.
As for biz travel needs, yes to everything listed already, plus I want in-room coffee so I can get my java fix while getting dressed for work. I don't want to have to go out of my room to get it. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but something I would appreciate. And if I had the option to eat a simple muffin or yogurt breakfast in my room while getting ready, that would good too.

pix12.jpg
I'm finding that they don't really use the desk space but use the comfy chairs more :) I've actually moved power strips away from the desks & by the bed and chairs for that reason. I find chargers & a/c adapters for computers are always plugged in those areas.
We have coffee service in most rooms or right outside the door. Surprisingly, people will wait to have the early coffee in the dining room - biz guests and others alike. Maybe they like the fresh ground & brewed better.
I would love if biz guests wanted 7:30 breakfast - It's almost always earlier!!!

pix12.jpg
I'm finding that they don't really use the desk space but use the comfy chairs more :) I've actually moved power strips away from the desks & by the bed and chairs for that reason. I find chargers & a/c adapters for computers are always plugged in those areas.
We have coffee service in most rooms or right outside the door. Surprisingly, people will wait to have the early coffee in the dining room - biz guests and others alike. Maybe they like the fresh ground & brewed better.
I would love if biz guests wanted 7:30 breakfast - It's almost always earlier!!!
Samster said:
I would have both. I'd start on the in-room coffee then switch to the 'good' stuff at breakfast. I'd also munch on chocolate-covered espresso beans if you had them out. :) At least that was back in my corp days. I consume a little less coffee now, most days...

pix12.jpg
Samster said:
I would have both. I'd start on the in-room coffee then switch to the 'good' stuff at breakfast. I'd also munch on chocolate-covered espresso beans if you had them out. :) At least that was back in my corp days. I consume a little less coffee now, most days...
I agree - if there's coffee in the room I'll have two cups before I go down for breakfast, then another at the table.

I would have B&B coffee then stop for a fivebucks. If the B&B coffee sucked then I would skip it.

Bree said:
...what do you need a B&B to have? (BTW, about those folks who need to have a full 'office' with copy machine, etc, there's a hotel in town that does that, so that's where they'd have to go.)
What would make this the perfect stay for you as a business person and as a human being?
Sorry, but I got this one! We get a lot of business repeat customers, as we are in a city of over a million and 5th in the US for conferences and trade shows. There is a lot of competition with the hotels for business traffic, so this is what we offer our business visitors, and I would love it if I could find the same thing at a B&B for myself:
Spacious room with, at least, a Queen bed, writing desk, telephone, CABLE TV, VCR and DVD players and wireless. As well as refrigerator, overhead fan, terry cloth robes, hair dryer, coffee maker, iron and ironing board. A fax machine is also available. Corporate rates (based on one person per room/mid-week), late check-in and early heart-healthy breakfasts. Snacks and beverages available throughout the day. A flexible cancellation policy, express check-out, and personalized service. A peaceful, quiet environment and place to meet with business associates. An area to relax, preferably outdoors, with a refreshing beverage, such as a deck overlooking the gardens, after an exhausting day of meetings and/or presentations.

I would have B&B coffee then stop for a fivebucks. If the B&B coffee sucked then I would skip it..
Favorite coffee served to date: Dunkin Donuts
regular_smile.gif
Tops the Starbucks coffee requests.
Samster said:
Favorite coffee served to date: Dunkin Donuts
regular_smile.gif
Tops the Starbucks coffee requests.
They sell DD coffee in our coffee aisle at the store now. They had to with all the northerners moving south.
shades_smile.gif

Thanks one and all. It looks like there is a certain biz traveler I could host, but probably not the 'corporate warrior'. We are not set up with hotel-like rooms so most biz people would be out of their element here and it wouldn't be a good fit. I'll probably tweak my presentation to focus more on the 'too many relatives coming for the holidays' guest rather than the corporate guest who needs so much in the way of 'hardware'.

Back