Price Per for room chocolates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I recently bought a Dove Collection with Promises for inn-room chocolates and was not sure if it was a good deal or not, it was $9.99+tax, and there were about 75 inside the box. Didn't know how many inside til I opened the box. It made each bedside chocolate to be about .15 each, so .30 cents per room.
I know this is miniscule in the grander scheme of things, some eat them some don't etc etc, but just curious what other innkeepers pay for their turn-down or in room chocolates (each). I had the Cadbury Milk Chocolate prior to this and the Guylian Twists seahorses (which I love as most people don't realize the shape they are until they open them, plus the chocolate is wonderful).
I just saw you can personalize the message in the Dove promises - click that link.

Hmmm that is cool that you can personalize the message. So I guess the othe question that would come up is, how long does good chocolate stay good? (if you bought a bunch personalized how much would be too much to keep fresh?).

I always bought the different Ghiardelli Chocolate Squares.Something like $3.50 a bag. Wal Mart I think it a bit lower. Can't remember how many in a bag..but not more than a dozen I think.

I was thinking about getting specialty chocolates that are $.11 ea. But they would not be in the rooms, they'd be on the hallway table.

I always bought the different Ghiardelli Chocolate Squares.Something like $3.50 a bag. Wal Mart I think it a bit lower. Can't remember how many in a bag..but not more than a dozen I think..
In the regular bags, there are about 15-18 squares in each bag. I buy them on sale for under $3. I get a big bag of assorted squares when I can at World Market for $10.
Most of what I use is around $2.50-$3.50 per bag with 15-20 in them. Toblerone Minis, Ghirardelli, Lindor Truffles, and the Hershey's Special Dark squares are pretty tasty. Russell Stover had a Praline Chocolate Square that worked for here.
I don't worry about what they cost too much. I just want them to be nice. I guess I'm not that analytical. I try to put out something different each night of a multi-night stay. Sometimes, I'll even do a chocolate dipped strawberry.

I put 4 pieces of chocolates in the rooms with 2 small bottles of water. The chocolates vary, whatever I can find on sale, but good ones. I like adding those little touches.

I always bought the different Ghiardelli Chocolate Squares.Something like $3.50 a bag. Wal Mart I think it a bit lower. Can't remember how many in a bag..but not more than a dozen I think..
In the regular bags, there are about 15-18 squares in each bag. I buy them on sale for under $3. I get a big bag of assorted squares when I can at World Market for $10.
Most of what I use is around $2.50-$3.50 per bag with 15-20 in them. Toblerone Minis, Ghirardelli, Lindor Truffles, and the Hershey's Special Dark squares are pretty tasty. Russell Stover had a Praline Chocolate Square that worked for here.
I don't worry about what they cost too much. I just want them to be nice. I guess I'm not that analytical. I try to put out something different each night of a multi-night stay. Sometimes, I'll even do a chocolate dipped strawberry.
Okay so no telling me the cost PER room chocolate? That was what I was asking for.

Okay so no telling me the cost PER room chocolate? That was what I was asking for.
Taking the higher price of $3.50 per bag and dividing by the low count of 15 in a bag makes it .43 per piece which if 2 pieces oer room would be a cost of .86 per room per night.
I get bags of Hershey's kisses and toss a handful on the bed with a handful of silk roses when i have a couple coming in. There is also a small bowl of Hershey's kisses on the dresser.

Taking the higher price of $3.50 per bag and dividing by the low count of 15 in a bag makes it .43 per piece which if 2 pieces oer room would be a cost of .86 per room per night.
I get bags of Hershey's kisses and toss a handful on the bed with a handful of silk roses when i have a couple coming in. There is also a small bowl of Hershey's kisses on the dresser.
Ok, so I guess my costs were .75-.85 per room. Depending if candy on sale or not. That was just what I put on the pillows at turn down. Every room had a small bowlful of hershey kisses, small asst. hershey bars etc..depending on the season what type. This was just something I enjoyed providing and the guest sure seemed to enjoy eating:) I didn't care what the cost was...sorry...my lifestyle here again.

Sorry...I used my calculator for you.
0.1388888888 - 0.1509 cents per.
teeth_smile.gif

I've met innkeepers who clearly have their B&B only for the tax write-offs. Many still run very nice B&B's, and some still do a lot of work, but everything about their mode of operation is different from my own. (It must be wonderful to have the freedom to not care about overhead!)
The word "lifestyle" is a bit annoying, but not nearly as bad as the word "hobby!" But while the word may tend to be annoying, I think it is important that catlady clarify that her B&B was not her main source of income when commenting on what she did and why. "Lifestyle" is as good a word as any to do that. But then, she took herself quite seriously and acted professionally. So "lifestyle" is not appropriate. Hmmm....
I only wish there was an easy way to clarify that with the IRS... As Kathleen says, B&B's whose innkeepers only practice innkeeping to maximize their tax writeoffs make it harder for the rest of us to deal with the IRS. But that's the case in any profession.
=)
Kk.

There was a BnB that I considered a hobby for tax write off purposes as he travelled all the time and they basically only had one guest room - a second they could open up on ocassion (which was the family's room). I was a bit annoyed with this as callers would call and ask ME about that waterfront BnB. They didn't have a website but listed on a directory. Still don't have a website.
Then I saw in the paper HE died in a car accident and she is on her own now and it is her bread and butter. I feel for her. They were married for 25 years or so.
What they started out doing was not what it ended up.

There was a BnB that I considered a hobby for tax write off purposes as he travelled all the time and they basically only had one guest room - a second they could open up on ocassion (which was the family's room). I was a bit annoyed with this as callers would call and ask ME about that waterfront BnB. They didn't have a website but listed on a directory. Still don't have a website.
Then I saw in the paper HE died in a car accident and she is on her own now and it is her bread and butter. I feel for her. They were married for 25 years or so.
What they started out doing was not what it ended up..
yes that was such a sad situation. I am not sure what she is doing with it now. Lost track of her.

What they started out doing was not what it ended up..
yes that was such a sad situation. I am not sure what she is doing with it now. Lost track of her.
catlady said:
Still on local directories as available. I think her daughter moved in to help.

I don't understand the problem with the term "lifestyle B&B". What's annoying about it? I also don't have a problem with "hobby B&B" if that's what it is. It doesn't mean there's no work or committment involved. Lots of "hobbies" involve work, committment, resources.
I think it's useful to differentiate between a B&B that is relied on for financial support vs one that is not. It has an enormous impact on business decisions.

I don't understand the problem with the term "lifestyle B&B". What's annoying about it? I also don't have a problem with "hobby B&B" if that's what it is. It doesn't mean there's no work or committment involved. Lots of "hobbies" involve work, committment, resources.
I think it's useful to differentiate between a B&B that is relied on for financial support vs one that is not. It has an enormous impact on business decisions..
happyjacks said:
I think it's useful to differentiate between a B&B that is relied on for financial support vs one that is not. It has an enormous impact on business decisions.
Ditto.
I will add that while it is the prerogative of a "lifestyle" or "hobby" B&B to add expensive extras, it does not necessarily mean that it is a good business practice. Enhancing guests' perception should make good financial sense in the long run. If it's not bringing new or repeat business, is it necessary?

I think it's useful to differentiate between a B&B that is relied on for financial support vs one that is not. It has an enormous impact on business decisions..
happyjacks said:
Ditto.
I will add that while it is the prerogative of a "lifestyle" or "hobby" B&B to add expensive extras, it does not necessarily mean that it is a good business practice. Enhancing guests' perception should make good financial sense in the long run. If it's not bringing new or repeat business, is it necessary?
Proud Texan said:
happyjacks said:
Ditto.
I deleted my original post because we have actually hijacked this thread. I really didn't want to debate this issue here.For me..I am done with it...everyone makes their own choices for their own reasons.

I used to buy special local made chocolates. Some people ate them and some didn't. I don't think anyone thought it was special. So I quit putting them in the rooms. Instead, I now keep a couple candy bowls full in the dining area, common rooms that are individually wrapped mints.

happyjacks said:
Ditto.
Proud Texan said:
happyjacks said:
Ditto.
I deleted my original post because we have actually hijacked this thread. I really didn't want to debate this issue here.For me..I am done with it...everyone makes their own choices for their own reasons.
It is a really good topic (even though it is unrelated to chocolate). I think it is helpful when you clarify in a post that your situation may differ because your B&B was a lifestyle. It is sometimes a confusing term, (there really isn't a better one) but it helps set the context for the particular choice/choices you made.
I am sure that for every aspiring here who is considering a full blown, support the family B&B, there is another aspiring looking to do a scaled down version that still allows for more personal freedoms in exchange for less revenue. It helps both types to have that context. I encourage you to keep putting in your disclaimer when it is warranted.

Back