Price Point Advice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
Good afternoon! I'm looking for some advice on whether or not to change the price of one room.
I have 5 rooms; 3 different price points and all priced higher on weekends. All rooms have private bath with shower, fireplace and a/c, flat screen TVs with WiFi and dvd. All rooms have identical extras like soap/shampoo, etc. bath robes, hair dryers, small fridge, etc.
Room A is $129/$159 and has the following amenities - Queen bed, shower/standard sized jetted tub combo.
Rooms B/C/D are all $149/$189. B has a queen bed, but an extra large jetted tub, separate from the shower. C has a queen bed but a hot tub (separate from the shower, AND it has a propane fireplace) and D has no tub (a 4x5' shower with a rainfall showerhead), but has a KING bed. So I figured that those amenities are pretty much interchangeable and therefore are priced the same.
Room E is our cottage and is $179/$225 with a king bed and hot tub. It also had a propane fire place and a large flat screen tv and bathroom with shower.
Recently, we put a Sleep Number bed in room A (still queen size) and upgraded the flatscreen tv to a larger size. My question is, do you think these two upgrades are enough for Room A to be put in the same price category as B/C/D? It's one of the more popular rooms, but that might be because it's $20/night cheaper.
Thanks for any advice.

I'm not sure a sleep number bed is an attraction. It might be for some folks, tho. However, for someone who wants to test out the bed without buying it, it could be a real bonus.
That didn't help at all, did it? ;-)
Test it out, tho. Why lose the money? Test out a few weekends to see how the price change goes.

Sorry a new mattress no matter what kind would not get any extra bucks from me. Keep it as is

Try it - you can always change back if it does not work out they way you hope it will.

Nothing extra for a sleep number bed. What about the other "amenities" like view, sounds, square metres, decor, etc. Those have value too.

You could try just bumping it up $10 instead of $20, if you are worried about the $20 bump being too big. Still gives you a lower priced option, but makes you a little more...

I would give it a try and see what happens. You could just add $3 to $8 on each room and keep A at a lower price. We dropped a room price due to its getting lower reviews (outside noise level which we can't control.) We also changed the name. Its has gotten better reviews and people are pleased. Then we raised the other rooms prices to take the place of that room's discount.

I would give it a try and see what happens. You could just add $3 to $8 on each room and keep A at a lower price. We dropped a room price due to its getting lower reviews (outside noise level which we can't control.) We also changed the name. Its has gotten better reviews and people are pleased. Then we raised the other rooms prices to take the place of that room's discount..
I love that you changed the name. From what to what and how did it help? Interesting psychological switcheroo.

I would give it a try and see what happens. You could just add $3 to $8 on each room and keep A at a lower price. We dropped a room price due to its getting lower reviews (outside noise level which we can't control.) We also changed the name. Its has gotten better reviews and people are pleased. Then we raised the other rooms prices to take the place of that room's discount..
I love that you changed the name. From what to what and how did it help? Interesting psychological switcheroo.
The Comfy Room to The Butler's Bunk. It is our smallest coziest room with a laid back comfortable at home feeling, but the guests didn't find the outside noise lived up to the name. We picked a name which would lower people's expectations of the room.

The Comfy Room to The Butler's Bunk. It is our smallest coziest room with a laid back comfortable at home feeling, but the guests didn't find the outside noise lived up to the name. We picked a name which would lower people's expectations of the room.
I love it!
Obviously the old servants' quarters.
On travel search sites, we call our small room, Bathroom down the Hall. There is no mistaking that the bathroom is down the hall. (On our site it is named after a local beach!)

I love it!
On travel search sites, we call our small room, Bathroom down the Hall. There is no mistaking that the bathroom is down the hall. (On our site it is named after a local beach!)
Good guess! But no it was the master suite's nursery compete with two walk-in closets which was changed to a regular closet and bathroom.
We live in the servant quarters….

I love it!
Good guess! But no it was the master suite's nursery compete with two walk-in closets which was changed to a regular closet and bathroom.
We live in the servant quarters….
Yeah, you got that right!

I'd love to see more suggestions for these room names! Great ideas. Our extra room is very small, has a full bath with shower, but is right off the dining room so no sleeping late!
It's currently the Birch Room, but that doesn't communicate how small and non-private it is.

I'd love to see more suggestions for these room names! Great ideas. Our extra room is very small, has a full bath with shower, but is right off the dining room so no sleeping late!
It's currently the Birch Room, but that doesn't communicate how small and non-private it is..
there is that but does it have any advantages others don't ie ground floor? I don't believe in over selling ie my small doubles next door are called basic double and my small singles are sold as that to be as clear as I can.
Could you do any kind of play on "breakfast in bed? or similar?"

It's currently the Birch Room, but that doesn't communicate how small and non-private it is..
Early Bird Nest! This cozy room is right in the thick of the action to get first bid on "the worm" or in this case our excellent breakfast! Steps from the dining room and complete with a tray for the real experience of Bed & Breakfast!... Paint a tree in one corner with a nest in the branches….
I had a hard time finding it since it wasn't where I thought it would be (Is it supposed to under common areas?) and then the page wouldn't open so I got an error code...

Anything with the words cozy or nook will imply small. If you want to express the closet proximity to the noise in the morning, something like 'rise and shine' or 'morning Glory' or 'kitchen maid's room'.
Are the rest of the rooms named after trees? You probably want to keep the theme going then.

Back