Pricing a floral add on?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
If you do floral add ons -
  • How much do you generally charge?
  • Do you have a selection? ie- a lower-priced and higher-priced option?
  • Do you include chocolates or wine?
  • Do you do this yourself or call the local florist?
  • Is your price based on the actual cost of the flowers (plus something for your time) or 'what the market will bear'?
  • What will the market bear? $25? $50? More?
  • If you've changed your price did you go up or down and did it make a difference?
  • Do you just make up a bouquet with what's available or do you take requests for specific flowers and/or colors?

• How much do you generally charge?
2 dozen roses $120
1 dozen roses $65
Mixed seasonal bouquet $44
6 roses $39
1 rose $18.
  • Do you have a selection? ie- a lower-priced and higher-priced option?
See above
  • Do you include chocolates or wine?
No
  • Do you do this yourself or call the local florist?
Florist. We have a deal: I don't do flowers, they don't make beds.
  • Is your price based on the actual cost of the flowers (plus something for your time) or 'what the market will bear'?
Slight markup over what the florist charges me.
  • Do you just make up a bouquet with what's available or do you take requests for specific flowers and/or colors?
Florist handles it and delivers it. As we mentioned on an earlier thread, it's not a money maker, it's an aminity that makes staying at my place a little better than staying at the local places that do not offer a flower add on.

One other thought on this subject. Do you think women will be ordering the flowers? I picture it as mainly being men, and unlike women, men will be generally clueless about what flowers are supposed to cost. They (we) just think we're supposed to get them, so we get them. We don't know why. We know better than to ask.
Perhaps not a lot of thought goes in to the cost.
Hmmm. I think I'll place an ad on my homepage, click here to add on the flowers you KNOW she expects you to have waiting for her when you arrive.

One other thought on this subject. Do you think women will be ordering the flowers? I picture it as mainly being men, and unlike women, men will be generally clueless about what flowers are supposed to cost. They (we) just think we're supposed to get them, so we get them. We don't know why. We know better than to ask.
Perhaps not a lot of thought goes in to the cost.
Hmmm. I think I'll place an ad on my homepage, click here to add on the flowers you KNOW she expects you to have waiting for her when you arrive..
Women rarely buy the add on. And women make the most of the reservations. So, it's not a big seller here. Like you, it's available if someone wants/needs it.

I charge $55 for a dozen roses in a vase with baby's breath. I order it from our bigger town supermarket and my cost is $29. They're beautiful. We pick them up. They would cost $100 from the florist delivered here.
'Spring' type flower arrangement is from the same store, I arrange them in one of my many, many vases left over from guests. Our cost is approx $15 and I charge $35
If they want a specific type flower, I give them the number to the florest and let them take care of it. It costs them LOTS more than what I would charge.

I charge $25 for seasonal flowers and $35 for roses. I buy them at the club and pay $9 to $15 for the seasonal and $17 to $19 for the roses (2 dozen). They are part of a package, but that's how they are priced in a package.
Probably could charge more, especially for the roses.. I mean it is two dozen. The vase isn't included. The flowers don't usually leave with them. But I do spend some time keeping them looking "fresh" while they are here.

I charge $25 for seasonal flowers and $35 for roses. I buy them at the club and pay $9 to $15 for the seasonal and $17 to $19 for the roses (2 dozen). They are part of a package, but that's how they are priced in a package.
Probably could charge more, especially for the roses.. I mean it is two dozen. The vase isn't included. The flowers don't usually leave with them. But I do spend some time keeping them looking "fresh" while they are here..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Probably could charge more, especially for the roses.. I mean it is two dozen. The vase isn't included. The flowers don't usually leave with them. But I do spend some time keeping them looking "fresh" while they are here.
That's a bargain! $35 for 2 dozen roses?? You might want to up your price a little. If I were the the guest purchasing the roses, I would be concerned they weren't very good ones and might not order them.

I charge $55 for a dozen roses in a vase with baby's breath. I order it from our bigger town supermarket and my cost is $29. They're beautiful. We pick them up. They would cost $100 from the florist delivered here.
'Spring' type flower arrangement is from the same store, I arrange them in one of my many, many vases left over from guests. Our cost is approx $15 and I charge $35
If they want a specific type flower, I give them the number to the florest and let them take care of it. It costs them LOTS more than what I would charge..
To get a decent display of flowers we end up having to buy 2 packages at the grocery store. It's usually over $20 and then I throw out 25% of the flowers.

If they want a specific type flower, I give them the number to the florest and let them take care of it. It costs them LOTS more than what I would charge..
To get a decent display of flowers we end up having to buy 2 packages at the grocery store. It's usually over $20 and then I throw out 25% of the flowers.
IF they are that bad, then I would not buy them. If you can't find good ones or don't have anything to pick in the yard. Then don't offer. It is not worth throwing your money away.

Madeleine said:
Our grocery store has a 'florist' for it's floral section (and I'm in podunk as K. says). If yours has someone in charge of that department, meet them and have that person put together NICE flowers, even if they have to take two packages apart to do it. No one should have to throw away 25% of what they buy because it's bad. Talk to the manager.
If there's no way around it, then I agree with CL. Just forget it. If I can't put up a 100% markup, then it's not worth my time doing it.

Madeleine said:
Our grocery store has a 'florist' for it's floral section (and I'm in podunk as K. says). If yours has someone in charge of that department, meet them and have that person put together NICE flowers, even if they have to take two packages apart to do it. No one should have to throw away 25% of what they buy because it's bad. Talk to the manager.
If there's no way around it, then I agree with CL. Just forget it. If I can't put up a 100% markup, then it's not worth my time doing it.
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
OK, the truth? I send DH out with the list of what is needed for guest pkgs. I tell him, 'Buy girlfriend flowers, not wife flowers.' He won't stop to talk to the florist on duty. He's on a mission. I give him a price point to stick within and he just goes. But he never looks at the flowers. For me to go to the store right after he gets back is a waste of time. But, it might just be worth it price-wise.
In the summer I can fill in with gorgeous yard flowers. But spring, fall and winter? Not happening.

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
OK, the truth? I send DH out with the list of what is needed for guest pkgs. I tell him, 'Buy girlfriend flowers, not wife flowers.' He won't stop to talk to the florist on duty. He's on a mission. I give him a price point to stick within and he just goes. But he never looks at the flowers. For me to go to the store right after he gets back is a waste of time. But, it might just be worth it price-wise.
In the summer I can fill in with gorgeous yard flowers. But spring, fall and winter? Not happening.
Ahhhh, makes sense now! When I order the flowers from the grocery store, I call a day ahead and they make one up just for me and put it aside in their fridge. This might work for you!

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Ahhhh, makes sense now! When I order the flowers from the grocery store, I call a day ahead and they make one up just for me and put it aside in their fridge. This might work for you!
Breakfast Diva said:
Brilliant! I will go over there and show them what I want it to look like. Then just order it.

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Brilliant! I will go over there and show them what I want it to look like. Then just order it.
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Give them a price and let them come up with the best for that price (they will know what flowers are in season and what are on sale as they come in). For me, if the gal puts it together she adds on her time (arranging fee), AND if she puts it in a vase, she adds on that cost. It is easier for me to haul them home in a paper wrap than in a vase, and I use a mason jar (here), or you can reuse a vase, or dollar tree vase.
Things I request NOT to go into the bouquets are "babies breath" as they are expensive and not my cup of tea, those are for rose bouquets/weddings etc, and greenery (again, just filler and not what i appreciate). I always want the most colorful they have, not "Autumn arrangements"

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I once had a guy order a flower arrangement and he didn't care what flowers were in there, but he wanted 20 DIFFERENT colors of flowers. I called the supermarket florest first to see if she could/want to do it and she took it on as a challenge. Believe it or not, I didn't get charged any extra! I think they like it when people actually give them something special or unusual because they know their service is appreciated. It would be so boring to just put together those supermarket bouquets all the time.

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Give them a price and let them come up with the best for that price (they will know what flowers are in season and what are on sale as they come in). For me, if the gal puts it together she adds on her time (arranging fee), AND if she puts it in a vase, she adds on that cost. It is easier for me to haul them home in a paper wrap than in a vase, and I use a mason jar (here), or you can reuse a vase, or dollar tree vase.
Things I request NOT to go into the bouquets are "babies breath" as they are expensive and not my cup of tea, those are for rose bouquets/weddings etc, and greenery (again, just filler and not what i appreciate). I always want the most colorful they have, not "Autumn arrangements"
No matter what, if I don't use my own vase and I don't arrange, it's going to be $10 more. But maybe the flowers will be decent. I can bring my own vase to the florist. But it's still a lot more. Granted, the flowers are showier.

We offer a dozen roses. I can get them for around 10-$15 per dozen and get two as there is always one broken. Arrange in our vase which we keep (we wrap them to take on check out) and charge $40
I tell them they will be in the red family (often the pink are better than the red).
Riki

Seasonal flowers were around $25-30, a dozen roses were $45 or $50. I could get really nice bouquets at a couple of places and I have a gazillion florist vases around here that I embellished with ribbon. Only a couple of guests took their flowers with them - have some boxes handy for transport in case this happens to you.
I did have a package with flowers, non-alcoholic champagne, and chocolate dipped strawberries for $70 and didn't sell as many of those. I probably could have sold a lot more if the champagne was not alcohol free!
We had fresh flowers in all the rooms and throughout the inn everyday....

Floral prices change frequently, so we charge our costs plus 50%.
If I wanted to sell flowers, I'd have become a florist.

Back