Print advertising

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
This is not meant to be a yes, do it/no, stay away from it on print advertising. (Just getting that out of the way before I tell my story!)
I have been 'working' with a group that is looking for print advertisers. Personally, I doubt the ads will get me any bookings, but I want to support the particular group. So, the first opportunity to place an ad was 3 months ago. I submitted my ad and asked what the total price would be. Never heard back. Saw the manager one day and asked what was up with the ad, should I just send a check? 'Oh, we closed out that opportunity last week, but I have another one coming, I'll send you the info.'
Interestingly, I kept seeing different advertisers every week after they 'closed out that opportunity'.
Fine, I sent a different ad in this time. Bigger, more expensive. Heard back from the layout team that they needed a different resolution. Sent that in. They received it and the manager was supposed to send the invoice. She actually said, 'No, don't send the payment I have to do the invoice so it's all official for the accountant.' Have not heard back from them and I know they must have printed everything by now.
Now it's an obsession. Why don't they want my ad? Did I peeve someone somewhere who says, 'Just don't take the money and we don't have to print her ad.'?
Should I be really lame and send in ANOTHER ad just to see what happens? They are terrible (to me) at answering the phones or emails. I know a few other people who have placed ads with no problem at all. (Yes, I know, let it go. But that's not the definition of 'obsession' is it now?)

Does that "manager" who seems quite adept at "managing" you have a boss? I believe I would have a conversation with the boss or president of the organization you want to support asking about "the invoices I have not received. The ad were printed, weren't they?"

Does that "manager" who seems quite adept at "managing" you have a boss? I believe I would have a conversation with the boss or president of the organization you want to support asking about "the invoices I have not received. The ad were printed, weren't they?".
I actually think it's the boss who's the problem.

We have seen practically no return from print advertising. Our clientele uses the internet about 90% (visitor assn referrals and yellow pages are the rest). Seems like your print vendor is telling you to take your $$ elsewhere.

We have seen practically no return from print advertising. Our clientele uses the internet about 90% (visitor assn referrals and yellow pages are the rest). Seems like your print vendor is telling you to take your $$ elsewhere..
Tom said:
We have seen practically no return from print advertising. Our clientele uses the internet about 90% (visitor assn referrals and yellow pages are the rest). Seems like your print vendor is telling you to take your $$ elsewhere.
You didn't read the terms...not a discussion about whether or not this will have an ROI, just noodling around on why they wouldn't accept my ad.
My curiosity is piqued. Have I done them wrong somehow? Of course the only way to find out is to ask.

We have seen practically no return from print advertising. Our clientele uses the internet about 90% (visitor assn referrals and yellow pages are the rest). Seems like your print vendor is telling you to take your $$ elsewhere..
Tom said:
You didn't read the terms...not a discussion about whether or not this will have an ROI, just noodling around on why they wouldn't accept my ad.
My curiosity is piqued. Have I done them wrong somehow? Of course the only way to find out is to ask.
I read the terms of your original post ... but on this forum that doesn't control the thread much. :) My point was mainly that a) these don't sound like folks you want to deal with and b) what they are offering isn't likely to be worth much anyway. Is this some "must be seen" directory or ?
And, to avoid quality issues on submittal, use 300 dpi, compose in CMYK and print to a PDF at 300 dpi, with the compression settings turned off (properties ..) . This will make a small ad 5 MB or more, but it will have the res a printer wants.

Im a bit blunt Id ask. Also do you have any proof ie know people who have placed an add after you that got printed?

Oy! I'd walk away. Sounds just very unprofessional, so maybe you don't want to be associated with them at all.

Back