Privacy Locks?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenoco

Reaction score
My wife and I are in the midst of converting our 1840 home into a B&B. We will have four guest rooms, each with a private bath. Is it desirable to have locks on the bathroom doors?
Thank you.

I'm guessing bathrooms are in the rooms and not in the hall, right?
I'm not sure how many guests use the lock on the bathroom door, but it's a few bucks more for a door knob with a lock vs one without, so go for what would make the most people happy (lock) and not have to redo down the line.
Good luck with your new adventure!

Yes, the bathrooms are in the rooms but we are keeping the old white porcelain doorknobs (the bathrooms are all in converted walk-in closets and we have kept the original paneled doors), so we will have to drill the doors to add locks. We would rather not do that if it isn't necessary but it it's something guests find important, we will.
Thanks!

My shared bathroom has a deadbolt lock - and I have the only key. The ensuite bathroom does not have a lock because only the people in that room can enter it.

Yes, the bathrooms are in the rooms but we are keeping the old white porcelain doorknobs (the bathrooms are all in converted walk-in closets and we have kept the original paneled doors), so we will have to drill the doors to add locks. We would rather not do that if it isn't necessary but it it's something guests find important, we will.
Thanks!.
Then just use a hook and eye. That was pretty standard way back when. So glad to know you're keeping the old knobs. I love them. It's one thing we wish we still had here.

Vermont just added a regulation that requires a lock that can be locked by the guest from the inside that cannot be opened by a key from the outside.

Vermont just added a regulation that requires a lock that can be locked by the guest from the inside that cannot be opened by a key from the outside..
That will be interesting if a kid locks the door (had that happen in a guestroom with a 4-year old - had to climb in window) or someone has a problem as in faint, seizure, etc. while in the locked bathroom. I guess it would be goodbye door.

Vermont just added a regulation that requires a lock that can be locked by the guest from the inside that cannot be opened by a key from the outside..
That will be interesting if a kid locks the door (had that happen in a guestroom with a 4-year old - had to climb in window) or someone has a problem as in faint, seizure, etc. while in the locked bathroom. I guess it would be goodbye door.
gillumhouse said:
I guess it would be goodbye door.
Yep. Glad we don't have that law here. It seems to cause more problems than it prevents.

Well, we are not in Vermont, so I guess I am happy for that. I do have the concern about someone being locked in and is some sort of distress, or a small child being locked in. These are 179 year-old solid wood, paneled doors so I would not want to have to break one down. I guess I will go with keyed locks. Thanks to you all for the helpful advice. And thanks, Arks, for the funny video!

gillumhouse said:
Yep. Glad we don't have that law here. It seems to cause more problems than it prevents.
Arks said:
gillumhouse said:
It's also a requirement of AAA. We are looking at getting new doorknob/lock combos and keep running up against the requirement for dead bolts that we can't open.
It would take me awhile, but I might be able to find the keys for the dead bolts we have now. Not sure why they pass muster, but she's never mentioned them needing to be replaced with non--keyed locks.

a lock on a private bathroom within a private room? that's a new one on me!
if i'm staying somewhere with someone, one of us goes into the bathroom, a closed door is sufficient to keep the other person out. for me as a guest, i would not be looking for a way to lock it. required in some places, you say? wow.
i just stayed in a brand new hotel that had bypass doors as bathroom doors. i did not see any way to latch it shut from inside tho there might have been. all the doorknobs i put in my house when i renovated had the option to lock from within, but they weren't antique doors or locks. there was just a little button on the knob or handle.

a lock on a private bathroom within a private room? that's a new one on me!
if i'm staying somewhere with someone, one of us goes into the bathroom, a closed door is sufficient to keep the other person out. for me as a guest, i would not be looking for a way to lock it. required in some places, you say? wow.
i just stayed in a brand new hotel that had bypass doors as bathroom doors. i did not see any way to latch it shut from inside tho there might have been. all the doorknobs i put in my house when i renovated had the option to lock from within, but they weren't antique doors or locks. there was just a little button on the knob or handle..
Some people like to guarantee their privacy. Maybe they had a housekeeper walk in on them somewhere. Or, they're on vacation with friends. Or, they just want some peace and quiet and they're married to a bathroom sharer. (What hell that would be for me! The only space in my house I know I won't be bothered is the bathroom! If someone wanted to share that space with me I'd scream.) ;-)
I think in this case it's better to err on the side of too much privacy than not enough. (I have no idea if my bathroom door locks. We are neither of us 'sharers.')
I know tho I will be peeved if a bathroom door at a hotel does not close properly!

We have them on the bathroom doors. And on the shared, a deadbolt that indicates "In Use" like https://www.amazon.com/Falcon-D271-626-Non-Handed-Thumbtrun/dp/B00GFI8DMS but ours is made by Schlage.

Have locks, even on private bath. Travelers are always a little outside of comfort zone and the lock adds impression of security. Reassures that they won't have housekeeping come in to check on toilet paper while they are using it ...

I prefer having a lock on my bathroom door, even if the main door is locked. Someone somewhere has a key and with my luck, they'll walk in just as I'm getting out of the shower.
Actually, it's probably worse luck for them.
wink_smile.gif

Back