Private Hell

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
There should be a private hell for people who go into places marked PRIVATE.
Guest went through my private cupboard and took and used towels. A single... with two sets in their own room... but they had to go through my private cupboard marked "PRIVATE" and worse, there is a sign right over the towels that says that items taken from the cupboard will be considered STOLEN! And yet, used them and acted as if it was normal.

The sign gave them the tacit OK. If it were truly private there would not be a sign that said items taken will be considered stolen. Sometimes I think PRIVATE is considered an invitation to peek. I do not bother because they are going to do what they are going to do so unless I lock everything it is going to be considered "Open Season" anyway. Even then, if they are like my kids were, they will pick the locks.

I don't have any private signs on anything including my quarters. I just keep everything locked including linen closets and storage rooms. Never had a problem.

Yes, there should be a special place in Hell for them and it should be marked 'Private' and everyone else in Hell should be able to march right thru.
I do not know what possesses people to think the 'other' is better. I don't know how it happened but there is a huge black stain on the carpet into our 'office' (which is also the bedroom) so I have to keep the door closed at all times now because even if guests think it's only the office, it looks horrendous. We'll have some down time in Nov to clean it!

i have a private sign on the door to the basement but most of the time I keep it locked anyway. I work on the principle that anything I don't want people touching - is locked its the only way to keep them out.

Yes, there should be a special place in Hell for them and it should be marked 'Private' and everyone else in Hell should be able to march right thru.
I do not know what possesses people to think the 'other' is better. I don't know how it happened but there is a huge black stain on the carpet into our 'office' (which is also the bedroom) so I have to keep the door closed at all times now because even if guests think it's only the office, it looks horrendous. We'll have some down time in Nov to clean it!.
Madeleine said:
I don't know how it happened but there is a huge black stain on the carpet into our 'office' ...
Sounds like someone tried to sneak a squid into your B&B and they had an accident. Happens more than you think.

The sign gave them the tacit OK. If it were truly private there would not be a sign that said items taken will be considered stolen. Sometimes I think PRIVATE is considered an invitation to peek. I do not bother because they are going to do what they are going to do so unless I lock everything it is going to be considered "Open Season" anyway. Even then, if they are like my kids were, they will pick the locks..
I'm considering putting in a camera and a sign that says "Congrats on looking in this closet. Your photo has been posted on nosyf*cker.com for the whole Internet to see."
Reminds me of the old trick we used to set up in the medicine cabinet. We filled it will ping pong balls and waited for someone to be nosy and open it up.... once they started falling you couldn't stop them and everyone got a laugh. It cured a heck of a lot of people.
I have a drawer in that room that basically no guest should really open. Maybe I should put a rubber rat in it. If they tell anyone they saw it, everyone will know they were snooping where they shouldn't.

Sorry that happened to you. Gets my dander up too!
I actually have a sign that says "What did you THINK was in here?" I won't say where, it is my secret.
Last night three rooms check-in and our dog is GROWLING in the kitchen. Someone is in the dining room, she has never and will never bark or growl like that, she knows the routine. We were at the kitchen table at the time. Dh says "Why is she doing that? She never growls at guests?" I said "She thinks they are coming into the kitchen" she is very smart this way. She has growled and then barked when someone HAS GONE INTO THE KITCHEN (she is terrific!)
I go back in here, and sure enough my office door is ajar.
DANG IT! Forgot to lock it and someone came in here...

I actually have a sign that says "What did you THINK was in here?" I won't say where, it is my secret.
Last night three rooms check-in and our dog is GROWLING in the kitchen. Someone is in the dining room, she has never and will never bark or growl like that, she knows the routine. We were at the kitchen table at the time. Dh says "Why is she doing that? She never growls at guests?" I said "She thinks they are coming into the kitchen" she is very smart this way. She has growled and then barked when someone HAS GONE INTO THE KITCHEN (she is terrific!)
DANG IT! Forgot to lock it and someone came in here....
I really don't want to have to lock everything up. I want to have some trust that people are generally good honest people and that they can read a sign in English and French that says Private an honour it. Or at least look and don't touch, so I think they honoured it... not take towels from my stacks of perfect six, pushed in so tight that you need two hands to take one....

DANG IT! Forgot to lock it and someone came in here....
I really don't want to have to lock everything up. I want to have some trust that people are generally good honest people and that they can read a sign in English and French that says Private an honour it. Or at least look and don't touch, so I think they honoured it... not take towels from my stacks of perfect six, pushed in so tight that you need two hands to take one....
Eric Arthur Blair said:
It's so infuriating, but this is my home and I don't want everything locked up like fort knox. We have a cupboard on the landing which contains all our room chang-over stuff. Had a group who sat on the landing between their rooms drinking tea, using the computer and chatting. Not a problem except after they left we discovered they'd gone into our cupboard and helped themselves to biscuits and sweets. That now has a lock on it.

rude, rude, rude ...
like the person who used my bathroom off the kitchen which did serve as guest restroom if absolutely necessary. it was not labeled as a restroom, you'd have to open the door to see what it was. anywho ... person took ALL my feminine hygiene products and left me nada but empty boxes. i was so upset, i came on here and went ballistic. what else could i do? yell at all the guests in the house? then some angel on here sent me a chocolate goodie basket. wow!! i'll never forget that kindness.

rude, rude, rude ...
like the person who used my bathroom off the kitchen which did serve as guest restroom if absolutely necessary. it was not labeled as a restroom, you'd have to open the door to see what it was. anywho ... person took ALL my feminine hygiene products and left me nada but empty boxes. i was so upset, i came on here and went ballistic. what else could i do? yell at all the guests in the house? then some angel on here sent me a chocolate goodie basket. wow!! i'll never forget that kindness..
OK that one was bad, but the TP in the suitcase lady was a riot.

The sign gave them the tacit OK. If it were truly private there would not be a sign that said items taken will be considered stolen. Sometimes I think PRIVATE is considered an invitation to peek. I do not bother because they are going to do what they are going to do so unless I lock everything it is going to be considered "Open Season" anyway. Even then, if they are like my kids were, they will pick the locks..
I'm considering putting in a camera and a sign that says "Congrats on looking in this closet. Your photo has been posted on nosyf*cker.com for the whole Internet to see."
Reminds me of the old trick we used to set up in the medicine cabinet. We filled it will ping pong balls and waited for someone to be nosy and open it up.... once they started falling you couldn't stop them and everyone got a laugh. It cured a heck of a lot of people.
I have a drawer in that room that basically no guest should really open. Maybe I should put a rubber rat in it. If they tell anyone they saw it, everyone will know they were snooping where they shouldn't.
Oh, I'm definitely doing the ping pong ball trick! I can't wait
thumbs_up.gif

Put a lock on the cupboard..
If I could find a way to have a hidden lock, then maybe. But it's a set of double doors that swing from the centre.
A hasp with a padlock; a padlock with a long loop (have one on my shed);a chain with lock
Let me ask you this... how would you feel if you saw that in the shared bathroom?
Once upon a time, I think the OO's had the linen stored in a guest room. They had a very small keyed lock with a hasp on the door. We reno'd that closet into a clothes closet for guests and I removed the lock because it was confusing guests (they thought they couldn't use the closet).
It was small and just screwed into the wooden, louvered doors. That might work.

Put a lock on the cupboard..
If I could find a way to have a hidden lock, then maybe. But it's a set of double doors that swing from the centre.
A hasp with a padlock; a padlock with a long loop (have one on my shed);a chain with lock
Let me ask you this... how would you feel if you saw that in the shared bathroom?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You did not say it was in the shared bathroom. You just said it was in a closet marked PRIVATE. In that instance, I think I would go to the hardware store and look for a different type handles (lockable) for the doors or else I would just accept that towels in a bathroom are considered towels FOR the bathroom. I have a market basket in the shared bathroom filled with so many extra towels that they do not have to go looking for towels.

Any "Newbies" reading this forum topic, take note:
Innkeeper's quarters separate from guest's quarters =GOOD
Innkeeper's quarters not separated from guest's quarters=BAD
If you are building from scratch, take this into account. The only time guests are in our private home is during breakfast.

Back