Pro-Active Solution and other towel and linen destroying substances

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Toad_HLB

Reaction score
This may not apply to everybody, but for those who use non-white towels and linens, the scourge of Pro-Active Solution has just struck us again.
The upside is that we have enough towels and sheets for our personal use to last a lifetime. The downside is our very friendly and non-embarrassingly worded note in each bathroom to alert us of their use isn't always read.
Yeah, we know, its your choice to use colored towels and linens. We like the way our rooms look using color coordinated stuff, but the occassional wipeout of things does get tiresome. We've tried all whites in a few rooms and guess what, it stains white stuff a yellowish blotch kind of like, well you know like what.
For those unaware, Pro-Active Solution, certain acne remedies and body care products often contain hydrogen peroxide, bleaches to help dry the oily skin, Glycolic Acid, etc... This stuff which is meant ot be put on just before bed and is murder on towels, pillow cases and the upper edge of the sheets.
We have actually seen what we thought what was the Shroud of Turin where the guest's facial imprint was perfectly bleached into the pillowcase.
We offer seperate towels for using the hot tub and use the most benign sanitizer on the market, so we know that isn't causing it. With just a casual glance at the guest's body care prodcuts on the counter, the evidence is usually right there.
BESIDES, telling me to switch to all whites, any ideas on how to cut don on the damage?

I wish I knew. We've had our 'cheap' face cloths that we bought specifically for this situation ruined the first day out. Yeesh. We've also had this stuff spilled on the carpet. End of carpet. There's nothing that's going to bring that back.
Hating the whole 'notes everywhere' scenario, but this is a real problem that has to be addressed so I'm waiting for other opinions on this one.
A little notecard stuck in the bathroom mirror? But then what is the guest supposed to use for towelage? OTOH, doesn't this very same thing happen in their OWN homes?
We had 2 teens here one weekend. All of the towels and facecloths a total loss from this stuff.

I wish I knew. We've had our 'cheap' face cloths that we bought specifically for this situation ruined the first day out. Yeesh. We've also had this stuff spilled on the carpet. End of carpet. There's nothing that's going to bring that back.
Hating the whole 'notes everywhere' scenario, but this is a real problem that has to be addressed so I'm waiting for other opinions on this one.
A little notecard stuck in the bathroom mirror? But then what is the guest supposed to use for towelage? OTOH, doesn't this very same thing happen in their OWN homes?
We had 2 teens here one weekend. All of the towels and facecloths a total loss from this stuff..
I called Pro-Active after the first time it happened and they acknowledged its effect and told me they put a warning on the label.
So, I once looked at a bottle of this stuff and it is in about the smallest text I've ever seen and in the most inconspicuous place on the back of the bottle.
People know what it does, they do it to their own stuff at home, but what gets me is that I had no idea what a scourge adult acne was in this country.
We rarely have it happen with teens, its adults who are just so vain, they won't even skip using it when in someone else's home. Sure, they are paying to stay here and all the other places they vacation at, but it drives the cost of everything up or forces us to go industrial "white" and heavily bleach everything and we're not about that.
We have these tiny little 3"x3" signs on a little holder next to all of the makeup removal supplies we offer and I swear, we wrenched our guts over how to word it to not offend. This is what it says. Feel free to copy and paste and use.
"We strive to use the best linens and towels possible while trying to keep our rooms a good value. We provide ample supplies of make-up removal cloths & disposable pads for your use. If you use any night time skin care or
acne products that contain hydrogen peroxide, ie. Pro-Activ Solution® , please inform us so we can substitute different sheets, pillow cases and towels for you.
Thank you for your consideration."
Oh, and guess what? Their current ad campaign is that they are "giving" away 1 MILLION bottles of product away for people to try.

I went to all white after having a bunch of towels trashed with acne medications. Really pissed me off. Now I keep a basket of old towels (which I dye yellow) in the rooms with a card saying that they were old but clean towels for messy jobs like make up removal. Most guests will use them. I don't even care if they trow them away.

I went to all white after having a bunch of towels trashed with acne medications. Really pissed me off. Now I keep a basket of old towels (which I dye yellow) in the rooms with a card saying that they were old but clean towels for messy jobs like make up removal. Most guests will use them. I don't even care if they trow them away..
Yup, we understand and also do all of that.
We offer makeup pads, old facecloths, the wet makeup removal sheets that come in a resealable box and can be refilled. Most women use them, some don't. After they show us they won't, we only provide the makeup removal stuff and don't replace the nicer facecloths each day.
But none of those things work on someone who:
a. doesn't want to use them.
b. slathers this stuff on then jumps in bed and also gets it on the bed linens.
c. wakes up and doesn't use any of the provided materials and wipes it all off on the towels embedding it so then after breakfast when they shower and wet the towel, it spreads this gunk all over.
I hope the Catch 22 of us all trying to offer the best linens we can for our given price point which we figure the average guest expects should be nicer than your average HI Express isn't being lost in this discussion.
Hoping our guests will respect and appreciate the gesture enough to maybe skip the Pro-Active Solution for the two nights they are here is what we're after up here at least. Or take us up on our offer to remake everything with the set of stuff the last pimplehead trashed.
It isn't only Pro-Active Solution that has these chemicals in it either. Anti-aging creams, wrinkle remover creams, skin tightening lotions, you name it, most anything designed to make a 65 year old person look 40 again has some pretty powerful stuff in it.

Lodging properties should consider loss of linens due to this kind of damage a cost of doing business. There is really nothing you can do to stop it, and you appear uber-uptight and run the risk of offending guests by even trying. If you choose to use colored towels or the most expensive linens available, then your cost goes up, simple as that.
Hospitality Management 101.

Lodging properties should consider loss of linens due to this kind of damage a cost of doing business. There is really nothing you can do to stop it, and you appear uber-uptight and run the risk of offending guests by even trying. If you choose to use colored towels or the most expensive linens available, then your cost goes up, simple as that.
Hospitality Management 101..
Totally agree. You can't dictate what towels guests will use or how. We had make up removers in our rooms and most used them. Some inns have a little basket with "old" washc cloths etc for make up removal..but again...if the guest doesn't use them...what can you do??? Nothing... as you say it is just part of doing business..that is just the way it is.

"Lodging properties should consider loss of linens due to this kind of damage a cost of doing business."
We do. But this type of thing doesn't fall under the category of normal wear and tear.
"There is really nothing you can do to stop it, and you appear uber-uptight and run the risk of offending guests by even trying."
Actually, since putting the little signs out, the number of times this happens has dropped significantly. Frankly, offending an occasional inconsiderate guest if it means they stop doing negatively impactful things to us and all of our fellow innkeepers they stay with in the future can be a good thing.
Being a very "green" property and people, we weigh the ultimate costs of everything that happens under our control and roof. We don't follow guests around and badger them or make them feel bad about anything, a weekend here is an indulgence, but we don't feel a little 3"x3" sign very pleasantly worded should offend anybody.
"If you choose to use colored towels or the most expensive linens available, then your cost goes up, simple as that."
That does seem to be the process and quandary for folks wanting to offer the best they can at their price point, but not have to prematurely replace things which drives up the cost. A real Catch-22.
A local competitor just got ripped on TA over her advertising really fine linens but the guest experienced worn and tattered stuff in one of the the most expensive Inns in our area.
"Hospitality Management 101."
You're gonna fit in here really well.

I agree with Little Blue. It's the cost of doing business. S**t happens. If you don't want to use white than that's your choice. You buy linens, you write them off. If we want to use the most expensive linens around then we shouldn't whine when they get damaged. You can get lovely linens at decent prices and still have a beautiful room. Be a smart 'hotelier/BB operator' when shopping. We all need to remember that we're dealing with PEOPLE here! Accidents will happen. Medicines and creams and oils will be used that will damage our stuff. Wine will be spilled. Glasses will be broken. It's the cost of doing business. We don't like it but that's life.

"Lodging properties should consider loss of linens due to this kind of damage a cost of doing business."
We do. But this type of thing doesn't fall under the category of normal wear and tear.
"There is really nothing you can do to stop it, and you appear uber-uptight and run the risk of offending guests by even trying."
Actually, since putting the little signs out, the number of times this happens has dropped significantly. Frankly, offending an occasional inconsiderate guest if it means they stop doing negatively impactful things to us and all of our fellow innkeepers they stay with in the future can be a good thing.
Being a very "green" property and people, we weigh the ultimate costs of everything that happens under our control and roof. We don't follow guests around and badger them or make them feel bad about anything, a weekend here is an indulgence, but we don't feel a little 3"x3" sign very pleasantly worded should offend anybody.
"If you choose to use colored towels or the most expensive linens available, then your cost goes up, simple as that."
That does seem to be the process and quandary for folks wanting to offer the best they can at their price point, but not have to prematurely replace things which drives up the cost. A real Catch-22.
A local competitor just got ripped on TA over her advertising really fine linens but the guest experienced worn and tattered stuff in one of the the most expensive Inns in our area.
Unfortunately, as these products become more and more common, it IS going to have to be considered normal wear and tear. And linen loss IS Hospitality Management 101..(I hope that last comment of yours was a compliment and not a tear-down). Since I taught the class at our local community college, and have 20+ years of Hospitality Management experience, I feel entitled to use the phrase when I see it applies. And I probably look at everything from that angle, and maybe that's my unique persective, having done it big working for a corporation AND small working for myself....and seeing the two very different types of guest that they offer.
Since you posted the subject on the forum, I assumed it was something happening often enough to upset you, and was not just the "occasional inconsiderate guest"....which is also Hospitality Management 101. My bad if I misunderstood.
On the rare occasion that I have a stack of linens that are still in good shape, just cannot be used in guest rooms, I list the lot for sale on Craigslist, and they sell for more than you might expect. For some reason, whenever I list something from the Inn on there and state that it's coming out of "one of our B&B guestrooms", people can't call fast enough...a little like selling something Elvis wiped his face on!

Unfortunately, as these products become more and more common, it IS going to have to be considered normal wear and tear. And linen loss IS Hospitality Management 101..(I hope that last comment of yours was a compliment and not a tear-down). Since I taught the class at our local community college, and have 20+ years of Hospitality Management experience, I feel entitled to use the phrase when I see it applies. And I probably look at everything from that angle, and maybe that's my unique persective, having done it big working for a corporation AND small working for myself....and seeing the two very different types of guest that they offer.
Since you posted the subject on the forum, I assumed it was something happening often enough to upset you, and was not just the "occasional inconsiderate guest"....which is also Hospitality Management 101. My bad if I misunderstood.
On the rare occasion that I have a stack of linens that are still in good shape, just cannot be used in guest rooms, I list the lot for sale on Craigslist, and they sell for more than you might expect. For some reason, whenever I list something from the Inn on there and state that it's coming out of "one of our B&B guestrooms", people can't call fast enough...a little like selling something Elvis wiped his face on!
"Unfortunately, as these products become more and more common, it IS going to have to be considered normal wear and tear."
Especially if they intend to give away a million bottles of the stuff for free.
"(I hope that last comment of yours was a compliment and not a tear-down). "
That depends on the context of how you used "Hospitality Management 101" to begin with. If you were inferring we're idiots here and don't know the basics, then yes it was tear-down. We can end this right here and I'll make sure I only discuss things with other "beginners", "hobbyists" or whatever other type innkeeper category you think we belong in according to your expert opinion.
"Since you posted the subject on the forum, I assumed it was something happening often enough to upset you, and was not just the "occasional inconsiderate guest"....which is also Hospitality Management 101."
I posted the subject after both hearing the latest commercials from Pro-Active and one incident which was the first one in over a year, so I would categorize the number of times this happens to us since we put the little signs on our rooms as very rare.
I actually posted the subject in order to gauge the reaction to our little sign and less about "whining" about anything.
The irksome thing when it happens as also described by Bree is that Murphy's Law kicks in and its never the set of stuff you we preparing to retire that it happens with, its the brand new set the first time you put it in use.

Totally agree. You can't dictate what towels guests will use or how. We had make up removers in our rooms and most used them. Some inns have a little basket with "old" washc cloths etc for make up removal..but again...if the guest doesn't use them...what can you do??? Nothing... as you say it is just part of doing business..that is just the way it is.
catlady said:
Right after I bought all these new pastel washcloths was when we had the kids that trashed them completely. Did they not see that the washcloths were now all bleached out? Of course they did. But they never mentioned it to us. Luckily, these washcloths were 50 cents/each and not the usual $3-4/each.

"Unfortunately, as these products become more and more common, it IS going to have to be considered normal wear and tear."
Especially if they intend to give away a million bottles of the stuff for free.
"(I hope that last comment of yours was a compliment and not a tear-down). "
That depends on the context of how you used "Hospitality Management 101" to begin with. If you were inferring we're idiots here and don't know the basics, then yes it was tear-down. We can end this right here and I'll make sure I only discuss things with other "beginners", "hobbyists" or whatever other type innkeeper category you think we belong in according to your expert opinion.
"Since you posted the subject on the forum, I assumed it was something happening often enough to upset you, and was not just the "occasional inconsiderate guest"....which is also Hospitality Management 101."
I posted the subject after both hearing the latest commercials from Pro-Active and one incident which was the first one in over a year, so I would categorize the number of times this happens to us since we put the little signs on our rooms as very rare.
I actually posted the subject in order to gauge the reaction to our little sign and less about "whining" about anything.
The irksome thing when it happens as also described by Bree is that Murphy's Law kicks in and its never the set of stuff you we preparing to retire that it happens with, its the brand new set the first time you put it in use.
Tim
You're a little quick on the trigger. Nothing I said in either of my posts called for that kind of a tirade. I was simply explaining my angle on things, and said nothing that inferred anything about anyone else.

I'm curious. Both of my daughters at one point or another have used pro active and other acne medicines (over the counter as well as prescriptions). I have never noticed any fading to my towels, except for when I bought dark brown towels for their bathroom (what was I thinking??).....those towels did fade, but the ivory, pink, white, etc., never have.

It hasn't happened much here. We use all white linens and towels. I do have less expensive make-up remover wash cloths (with a laminated card on them as to their purpose) and have lost a couple of those to the acne medication. No biggie since I bought a stack of them for about $1 each vs. the washcloths that match the towels that are around $4 each. The spray on tan or bronzer is annoying too. ugh. I had a wonderful guest who requested an "old" towel because she used a burgundy hair dye that she said would stain my white towels. I gave her a smaller beach towel that worked out great. Who knows what people do at home? I just hope for the best and buy good stain remover products.
wink_smile.gif

In the book "Running a Bed & Breakfast For Dummies", the author suggests purchasing dark washcloths, stitching the word "Makeup" on them, and putting them on top of the stack of bath & hand towels laid out for each guest, where they can't be missed.
Does this make sense? Would makeup be less noticeable after washing a dark cloth, compared to a lighter cloth?
I also don't know what a hydrogen peroxide product like Pro-Active Solution would do to a darker washcloth. Any guesses? Or first-hand experience?

In the book "Running a Bed & Breakfast For Dummies", the author suggests purchasing dark washcloths, stitching the word "Makeup" on them, and putting them on top of the stack of bath & hand towels laid out for each guest, where they can't be missed.
Does this make sense? Would makeup be less noticeable after washing a dark cloth, compared to a lighter cloth?
I also don't know what a hydrogen peroxide product like Pro-Active Solution would do to a darker washcloth. Any guesses? Or first-hand experience?.
Arkansawyer said:
I also don't know what a hydrogen peroxide product like Pro-Active Solution would do to a darker washcloth. Any guesses? Or first-hand experience?
I would think they are dark because they are not clean or stained. I put out the makeup remover pads in an obvious spot at the sink and have been lucky so far with people using them.
We use all white towels. If they get something on them spot and bleach gets it out so far so good. I like the clean spa-like look in the bath too.
RIki

I also don't know what a hydrogen peroxide product like Pro-Active Solution would do to a darker washcloth. Any guesses? Or first-hand experience?.
Arkansawyer said:
We use white linens, but also supply rose colored washcloths in each room for makeup removal...so far so good, no trouble with discoloration.

I used all white towels as well but bought inexpensive light colored wash cloths for makeup removal. Didn't feel bad when they bit the dust at all. I've stayed at several places that have the black wash cloths embroidered with "Makeup". Very nice, but the stuff for acne will bleach them out. You can get them through dnj specialty.

we send ours out so I am less helpful on the removal side but I think the biggest cuplrits are Fake Take and foundation for staining as when I strip the beds I can see people shapes LOL. It is when people don't take their make up off and just fall into bed full face on that is a nightmare.
Had a chap at the door trying to sell me washing machines and dryers yesterday trying to convince me that I would save money doing it myself. "I told him money maybe but sanity definately not!" Everytime I see one of those towels with the stains on I give thanks that it is not my problem. I would love to have coloured linens etc but I would be so upset when eventually they wore out, got a stain on etc plus I would have to hire someone full time to do the ironing and buy it all in and store it somewhere. I know where my bed is made.

Back