Probably won't. What do you think?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
We have a potential booking for 10 nights for 3 rooms in July (peak season) but what they'd really like is to literally have the whole house. There's already been 3-4 phone calls asking questions, and they let slip where they stayed last year. One phone call, and got the details... weird guests, to say the least, who really just need to rent a house instead of a B&B. Won't want breakfast, or interaction, at all.
Other place was a little disappointed as they made some changes to try to accommodate these guests (it's a nice rez for a little B&B) only to be told they'd found another house. Now they know that they're in contact with us, they won't be welcome there.
But dh and I are still kicking it around... we could rent them the whole house for ten days and take vacation in peak season. Very tempting!
But... we probably won't, for lots of reasons.
=)
Kk.

Other than perhaps a large chunk of money, I don't see anything good that can come from this. 10 days is a long time to have Gypsies in the Castle (ala Jimmy Buffet)

Well I have some very important things to consider:
1st your business license/permit - Is there a law in your area on your rental? Here, our permit states we must occupy the B&B.
2nd your insurance: Does it cover full house rental? Does it allow your guests to cook in your kitchen?
Since this is your busy time, it is not as difficult to turn it down as it would be in off season.

Why would you vacate the premises? Did they specifically state they want full access to everything? If you haven't already done so, explain the kitchen is off limits. We had to do this with guests who have basically made every other B&B in town want them to go elsewhere. Because we knew their foibles (as you do) we were able to manage expectations on everyone's part and had no problems with the guests except they 'fried' a cookie in the microwave.
It's a very nice, relatively easy chunk of change. However, I would not vacate my home and leave it to the inmates!
Manage expectations and you may find this to be a yearly easy rental.

Why would you vacate the premises? Did they specifically state they want full access to everything? If you haven't already done so, explain the kitchen is off limits. We had to do this with guests who have basically made every other B&B in town want them to go elsewhere. Because we knew their foibles (as you do) we were able to manage expectations on everyone's part and had no problems with the guests except they 'fried' a cookie in the microwave.
It's a very nice, relatively easy chunk of change. However, I would not vacate my home and leave it to the inmates!
Manage expectations and you may find this to be a yearly easy rental..
Morticia said:
Manage expectations and you may find this to be a yearly easy rental.
Ditto. I would not leave the house myself. No way.
And, of course, a big deposit with a 30-day cancellation requirement,a list of all guest names in advance, and all that.

30 day cancellation, cleaning/damage desposit/charge on a credit card with their signature and I would never leave guests alone in my house even overnight one night. If in fact we had an emergency I would ask them to vacate.
Personally I can't handle anyone in my home that long, the wear and tear will be enormous and if you ARE THERE for this duration, how will your family react? If they are oddballs do you want your boys exposed to them for this long a time frame?
I met with someone two days ago who mentioned how fantastic it is that our kids are around all these people at the B&B. Well hate to burst their bubble, they aren't and I allow interaction in certain situations with certain guests only - most/majority of the guests who stay here never meet our kids and vice versa.
Just my 2 cents from one mom and B&B owner to another.

No Breakfast, no interaction??? Tell them NO!!!! You are not a house rental...you are a bed and breakfast. This sounds like a red flag to me. Forget them.

I wouldn't do it. Our insurance wouldn't allow it...but I wouldn't be comfortable with it, either. Nice to be able to "blame" the insurance company.

Just looking at the dollars and cents of this too, how much money would you be losing to cut a deal on a whole house rental for that length of time? As opposed to having your rooms rented at the regular rate? Does this really equate to less work for the same amount of money if you take into consideration wear & tear and that groups basically take over?
You'd definitely have to have a BIG deposit with a cancellation time frame of at least 30 days, maybe longer. This is 10 days in your busiest time of year.
You know what I've said in the past, nothing good comes from groups, especially for that long of a time frame. ;-)
Good luck trying to figure this out if it could work for you, with boundaries!

OK, probably won't has become definitely won't.
And yes, these guest are off the charts weird... I have sufficient details from the other innkeeper to be quite assured of that. Not destructive, but definitely unique. They haven't asked for the whole house... they just took over her house last year and have asked lots of questions about our fourth room (yes, it would be available if someone else wanted to rent it) and our family (yes, we live here).
At this point, I'm not sure I want them as a regular reservation!
=)
Kk.

And yes, these guest are off the charts weird... I have sufficient details from the other innkeeper to be quite assured of that. Not destructive, but definitely unique. They haven't asked for the whole house... they just took over her house last year and have asked lots of questions about our fourth room (yes, it would be available if someone else wanted to rent it) and our family (yes, we live here).
=)
Kk..
If their having 3 rooms would prevent you from renting the 4th to an 'unsuspecting' guest, then require them to book the whole house, if you want them.
That's the tack we have taken lately. If you want 5 rooms or more, you're a buzz kill for anyone else wanting to stay here so you'll be charged for all the rooms, use them or not.

=)
Kk..
If their having 3 rooms would prevent you from renting the 4th to an 'unsuspecting' guest, then require them to book the whole house, if you want them.
That's the tack we have taken lately. If you want 5 rooms or more, you're a buzz kill for anyone else wanting to stay here so you'll be charged for all the rooms, use them or not.
Morticia said:
Agreed. Anytime the guests take up more than 50% of the inn (except of course in a 2 or 3 room inn), they're a group. Groups take over. It's just the nature of group behavior.
Other guests can't help but feel like the 3rd wheel.
The only way to avoid that is to have firm group policies that make sense for everyone. That includes booking the whole inn or nothing in a case like this.

Back