Problems with the Webervations move

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does printing an invoice from Inn Reserve have to do with webervations??? Your innreserve is a separate program working from your computer. There is no reason webervations would have anything to do with printing a reservation. OR were you trying to upload or download reservation requests from webervations? I do not understand your issue..
If it is not webervations why does the error say it can't connect online? I was not trying to upload, I'm jjust tring to enter or print and it immediately states it has online problems. I know others have had problems operating their software which connects to webervations as well and they had to call this fellow to get it straightened out. Just another reason I would not want to depend on a web based management system.
I'll find out tomorrow.
Riki
Hmmm .. curious.
I don't know why it would need to connect online if you are not trying to synchronise one way or the other. It is possible that the scripts are written so that it must connect online even if you are not trying to synchronise, but from a developer point of view that seems pretty silly. Also seems silly that if it was unable to connect you could not print out a receipt or otherwise use the program. That would incapacitate the local program every time a phone line is out or high speed connection is down, which is supposed to be the advantage of having a local system like Innreserve.
It is possible that with webervations being down or moved that Innreserve is incapacitated, but it just seems like a real flaw in the system AND unlikely, since it is completely possible to use Innreserve without ever having to use webervations. They are two completely separate things that have the ability to talk to each other, but are not required to talk to each other.
(This part is for our readers who aren't familiar with InnReserve) InnReserve is a Guest Managment application for Microsoft Access that is created by a company that is not affiliated with the old Webervations company (American Dreams) or bedandbreakfast.com. It is supposed to be a stand alone program for managing guest records, but it has the ability to import information from Webervations and export to Webervations. So the two separate systems can be used together ... usually ;)
I just spoke to Jeff of InnReserve (talk about service again! I emailed and he called me back within an hour of the email. On Sunday night. Unbelieveable!)
He seems to think that it is not connected to the move and had me winzip my file to him to look at it.
Riki
egoodell said:
I just spoke to Jeff of InnReserve (talk about service again! I emailed and he called me back within an hour of the email. On Sunday night. Unbelieveable!)
He seems to think that it is not connected to the move and had me winzip my file to him to look at it.
That's great Riki. Please keep us posted on what you find out. ;)
I was not able to get it to him right away last night so it could be some time before I find out as he will be out of town for a couple of days. I told him there was no rush as I'm small enough to operate without it for now.
Riki
Jeff just emailed my InnReserve repaired back to me even though he was on his way out of town yesterday. I'm so impressed with his service! You can bet I'll make a couple of backups tonight!
Riki
That's great news. :) Did he give any indication of what the problem was in case anyone runs into similar issues?

What does printing an invoice from Inn Reserve have to do with webervations??? Your innreserve is a separate program working from your computer. There is no reason webervations would have anything to do with printing a reservation. OR were you trying to upload or download reservation requests from webervations? I do not understand your issue..
If it is not webervations why does the error say it can't connect online? I was not trying to upload, I'm jjust tring to enter or print and it immediately states it has online problems. I know others have had problems operating their software which connects to webervations as well and they had to call this fellow to get it straightened out. Just another reason I would not want to depend on a web based management system.
I'll find out tomorrow.
Riki
Hmmm .. curious.
I don't know why it would need to connect online if you are not trying to synchronise one way or the other. It is possible that the scripts are written so that it must connect online even if you are not trying to synchronise, but from a developer point of view that seems pretty silly. Also seems silly that if it was unable to connect you could not print out a receipt or otherwise use the program. That would incapacitate the local program every time a phone line is out or high speed connection is down, which is supposed to be the advantage of having a local system like Innreserve.
It is possible that with webervations being down or moved that Innreserve is incapacitated, but it just seems like a real flaw in the system AND unlikely, since it is completely possible to use Innreserve without ever having to use webervations. They are two completely separate things that have the ability to talk to each other, but are not required to talk to each other.
(This part is for our readers who aren't familiar with InnReserve) InnReserve is a Guest Managment application for Microsoft Access that is created by a company that is not affiliated with the old Webervations company (American Dreams) or bedandbreakfast.com. It is supposed to be a stand alone program for managing guest records, but it has the ability to import information from Webervations and export to Webervations. So the two separate systems can be used together ... usually ;)
Riki
egoodell said:
I was not able to get it to him right away last night so it could be some time before I find out as he will be out of town for a couple of days. I told him there was no rush as I'm small enough to operate without it for now.
Riki
Jeff just emailed my InnReserve repaired back to me even though he was on his way out of town yesterday. I'm so impressed with his service! You can bet I'll make a couple of backups tonight!
Riki
So did he give you any indication of what the problem was??? HEy sorry...SWIRT just asked the same thing!:)

Yes, we were alerted to it and had it fixed roughly three hours ago. Here is what I received from my CTO:
This Sunday was a rough day for our database L First, we discovered a configuration mistake that cased one of the disk arrays to fill up. This happened around 4am and we fixed it by 5:40am. Hopefully, there were not a lot of users on the system at this time. But then we had another issue at 6:30pm, and it took us almost 90 minutes to fix. We’re going to investigate the logs and find out what caused it. Also, I am not proud of our time to fix with both of these issues, so we’re going to reconfigure our monitoring process and escalation policy to provide a much better response time if and when we experience another system wide issue in the future…
Thanks,
Denis

________
JB.
John, thank you for the follow up.
Question for you: Is it possible to revise the error message listed to remind a potential guest to go back to the pevious screen and call the innkeeper to check availability or book, as well as having the current contact info for the innkeeper?
Copperhead said:
Question for you: Is it possible to revise the error message listed to remind a potential guest to go back to the pevious screen and call the innkeeper to check availability or book, as well as having the current contact info for the innkeeper?
Looks like we should be able to do that - it is on the priority list - great idea and thanks for sharing it!
Thanks John. Hope it is not seen very often though!
wink_smile.gif

Sorry - indication of what the problem was the other day with Webervations?

I'll find out tomorrow.
Riki
Hmmm .. curious.
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki
That's great news. :) Did he give any indication of what the problem was in case anyone runs into similar issues?
He did not give any indication of what could have corrupted the file other than he thinks that the timing (Webervations move) was a coincidence. He was going out of town so I was lucky he had time to fix it so I didn't bother him any further.
I had just enough time before we had to go out last night to pull it up and see that it was working.
Riki

Yes, we were alerted to it and had it fixed roughly three hours ago. Here is what I received from my CTO:
This Sunday was a rough day for our database L First, we discovered a configuration mistake that cased one of the disk arrays to fill up. This happened around 4am and we fixed it by 5:40am. Hopefully, there were not a lot of users on the system at this time. But then we had another issue at 6:30pm, and it took us almost 90 minutes to fix. We’re going to investigate the logs and find out what caused it. Also, I am not proud of our time to fix with both of these issues, so we’re going to reconfigure our monitoring process and escalation policy to provide a much better response time if and when we experience another system wide issue in the future…
Thanks,
Denis

________
JB.
Copperhead said:
Looks like we should be able to do that - it is on the priority list - great idea and thanks for sharing it!
wink_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
wink_smile.gif
No kidding... the good news is we have a new fangled message. The bad news is that if you ever see it again it means something is screwed-up... There has to be a phrase for this on Urban Dictionary.
New message:
[FONT= &quot]We're sorry. We are experiencing technical difficulties with our availability system. [/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]If you are trying to make a reservation please call us while we are correcting this issue.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Just use the “back” button on your browser to get back to our property website which includes our contact information. [/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]If you are an innkeeper trying to reach a specific page, use the back button and try to load the page again. We apologize for any inconvenience. This error has been logged and will be corrected shortly. [/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Thank you. [/FONT]

Thanks,
Denis

________
JB.
Definitely a good idea - let me take a look, I'm not sure if it is or not.
John,
I have had 2 Reservations go directly to Webervations and I never got an email for them, Wa that a Glitch ? How do I address the people a week later?
Will this be Fixed on Webervations?
Thanks, Josh
Hi Josh,
When were these reservations taken? There were some known DNS issues for a couple days during the switch - and during that time we were hearing email issues sporadically, but I believe that has been solved now for over a week.
If these just happened, that is another issue...
Hi John,
One was on January 18th, The other guy called and said he booked on January 17th and he got an email that said the email went thru.
It is not showing anywhere on the system and I have already booked that room for a wedding party in July!
Josh

Thanks,
Denis

________
JB.
John,
I have had 2 Reservations go directly to Webervations and I never got an email for them, Wa that a Glitch ? How do I address the people a week later?
Thanks, Josh
Hi Josh,
When were these reservations taken? There were some known DNS issues for a couple days during the switch - and during that time we were hearing email issues sporadically, but I believe that has been solved now for over a week.
Hi John,
One was on January 18th, The other guy called and said he booked on January 17th and he got an email that said the email went thru.
It is not showing anywhere on the system and I have already booked that room for a wedding party in July!
Josh
Okay, that is a little different than what I've seen. Looking into it - couple clarifying questions:
1) It looks like you are using Webervations 1.0 stand-alone, is that correct?
2) Do you have it configured to automatically confirm reservations, or are you doing the normal request/where you have to accept it?
3) The reservation is not showing up anywhere in your Webervations system?
4) Did you ask this guest to send you the email they are referring to in order to make sure they are not confusing a request with a real confirmation?

Thanks,
Denis

________
JB.
John,
Thanks, Josh
Hi Josh,
Hi John,
Josh
Okay, that is a little different than what I've seen. Looking into it - couple clarifying questions:
2) Do you have it configured to automatically confirm reservations, or are you doing the normal request/where you have to accept it?
4) Did you ask this guest to send you the email they are referring to in order to make sure they are not confusing a request with a real confirmation?
John,
can you send me an email and I will call you and explain, perhaps we can figure this out?
www.innharmonyguesthouse.com
Thanks, Josh

Thanks,
Denis

________
JB.
John,
Thanks, Josh
Hi Josh,
Hi John,
Josh
John,
can you send me an email and I will call you and explain, perhaps we can figure this out?
Thanks, Josh
Thanks Josh - sounds like we got it all figured out. We are working on that credit card issue as well - can't believe they walked out on you like that.

Thanks,
Denis

________
JB.
John,
Thanks, Josh
Hi Josh,
Hi John,
Josh
John,
Thanks, Josh
Thanks Josh - sounds like we got it all figured out. We are working on that credit card issue as well - can't believe they walked out on you like that.
John,
Thanks for jumping in on that issue too. Of course I do not know how you would be able to stop bogus card numbers being issued listed, but zero's yes. I test it by taking a deposit. You will know right a way if it is a good #!

Thanks,
Denis

________
JB.
John,
Thanks, Josh
Hi Josh,
Hi John,
Josh
John,
Thanks, Josh
John,
Thanks for jumping in on that issue too. Of course I do not know how you would be able to stop bogus card numbers being issued listed, but zero's yes. I test it by taking a deposit. You will know right a way if it is a good #!
Copperhead said:
John,
We will get some coding in place that does what is called a "checksum." It is better than nothing. Every Visa/MC/Amex string of digits adds up in a specific way - so you can do a check on things like all zeros to see if it is valid or not.
You know, Webervations and Rezo used to be competitors... things like this were some of the primary reasons people would leave Webervations. They didn't like getting bad cc numbers. We have a chance to fix that now that we are managing the system.
Utimately we advocate running the credit card instantly, automatically, online at time of transaction.

Back