Prom season

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Oy vey. It's prom season. Teenagers calling and stopping by to look at rooms for tomorrow. Call me old, but any kid who can afford the prom AND a $150 room has way too much disposable income. Luckily she blurted out it was for the prom. Sad face, 'Sorry, I can't rent to high schoolers.'
High School! Good grief. Whatever happened to sneaking onto yachts in the marina? Oops, I didn't say that...

Yikes! Who exactly would they be staying with and who would be footing the bill???
Our high school had an "all night party" at the school...you had to sign in, and it was fully chaperoned, and we stayed up all night and played basketball, volleyball, watched movies, etc. Good times!

Yikes! Who exactly would they be staying with and who would be footing the bill???
Our high school had an "all night party" at the school...you had to sign in, and it was fully chaperoned, and we stayed up all night and played basketball, volleyball, watched movies, etc. Good times!.
I didn't ask about payment. It was a boyfriend-girlfriend. I can't believe things have come to such a pass that high schoolers take hotel rooms for their prom night and it wasn't for a big boozer. I mean, c'mon.
That walk-in was promptly followed by a call for the same room for a family of 4. Good grief people, teenagers or babies, I can't win.

I was working at the Holiday Inn and it was Prom Night. A girl comes bouncing into the lobby all smiles. She was the daughter of DH's best friend. She says Hi, Mrs. P, do you have any rooms? Answer - Yes, but not for you.
Oh, OK. and she left. All smiles...... I finally told her parents the story in 2007.

Yep, I had a bunch of these calls especially when I advertised in the school football program (when kids were in school). As spring approaches now I am prepared to ask for an ID if they are local and booking a room. They usually want to come by and pay with cash as they do not have a CC that helps with seeing the ID.
How these kids have the $$ for a limo and hotel rooms is beyond me - and why are the parents allowing this?

I had prom chaperones book a room for a getaway :)
But you really do get some interesting prospective guests....

Yep, I had a bunch of these calls especially when I advertised in the school football program (when kids were in school). As spring approaches now I am prepared to ask for an ID if they are local and booking a room. They usually want to come by and pay with cash as they do not have a CC that helps with seeing the ID.
How these kids have the $$ for a limo and hotel rooms is beyond me - and why are the parents allowing this?.
Copperhead said:
How these kids have the $$ for a limo and hotel rooms is beyond me - and why are the parents allowing this?
Thank you for the perfect response when the parents call to ask me to support the school by being in the programs for the events.
'Sorry, we've done that before and all it has gotten us are your high schoolers calling to book rooms for after prom.'

How these kids have the $$ for a limo and hotel rooms is beyond me - and why are the parents allowing this?.
Copperhead said:
Thank you for the perfect response when the parents call to ask me to support the school by being in the programs for the events.
'Sorry, we've done that before and all it has gotten us are your high schoolers calling to book rooms for after prom.'
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
It would offend every parent of every high schooler by saying that. Not all kids are trying to book places for prom sex.

Copperhead said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
It would offend every parent of every high schooler by saying that. Not all kids are trying to book places for prom sex.
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
I think some of them should be enlightened as to where their kids are NOT. ie- the after prom party sponsored at the school, to which I am also asked to donate. I did call one parent yesterday whose kid is going to the prom to ask, facetiously, if her kid has got her hotel room yet. I heard the daughter in the background yelling, 'No Mom, I wouldn't do that.' Then the daughter wanted to know who HAD showed up. It's a VERY small school, the last thing I want is for the kids to be on their phones saying I'll let them book.

Copperhead said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Offend every parent? No I think not at least not where we live. I think it could be avery big eye opener
wow.gif
for some parents to know what kids are up to these days. Most of the schools around here have a marketing rep - not local - that makes the calls regarding taking out ads or other school sponsorships. When they call I tell the exactly why I will not place the ad - and it is NOT the money or the fact that I never get a 'real' booking it is all the attempts from the kids after prom. I usually get a giggle or a gasp and well I never thought of that!
We have 4 large high schools in our area, so there are several weeks of this. You are right not all kids are doing this - thanks to parents that are on there toes and have raised their kids with good sence.

Copperhead said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Offend every parent? No I think not at least not where we live. I think it could be avery big eye opener
wow.gif
for some parents to know what kids are up to these days. Most of the schools around here have a marketing rep - not local - that makes the calls regarding taking out ads or other school sponsorships. When they call I tell the exactly why I will not place the ad - and it is NOT the money or the fact that I never get a 'real' booking it is all the attempts from the kids after prom. I usually get a giggle or a gasp and well I never thought of that!
We have 4 large high schools in our area, so there are several weeks of this. You are right not all kids are doing this - thanks to parents that are on there toes and have raised their kids with good sence.
Copperhead said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
wow.gif
These days? Is this something new? It is the same thing in our businesses, sure if you are on a septic system and need to spell out something about not flushing condoms, you feel the need to do so, but to have it in a bathroom for every guest to read is distasteful. Just my opinion. As someone once said on this forum "We are not the morality police" we have to be careful assuming every prom date is looking to book a room.

Copperhead said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
wow.gif
Copperhead said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
wow.gif
These days? Is this something new? It is the same thing in our businesses, sure if you are on a septic system and need to spell out something about not flushing condoms, you feel the need to do so, but to have it in a bathroom for every guest to read is distasteful. Just my opinion. As someone once said on this forum "We are not the morality police" we have to be careful assuming every prom date is looking to book a room.
Joe Bloggs said:
As someone once said on this forum "We are not the morality police" we have to be careful assuming every prom date is looking to book a room.
I agree with that up to a point. And that point is high schoolers. Not so much that I'm being the 'morality police' on this, altho deep inside I am, but it is more that I don't want to be a party to something that their own parents won't acknowledge and may come down on me for allowing should 'something' happen.
If the parents are ok with their kids taking a room in a hotel then these parents should be like those parents who allow underage drinking in their homes...'We'd rather they do it here so we don't worry about where they are.' Let the parents dress up the child's bedroom and offer breakfast in the morning and see how fast their attitude changes about what they think is ok behavior. It's the rare parent who can accept their 17 or 18 year old's sexuality when it's right in their face. So don't make me a party to it, if they can't accept it themselves. Even parents who pay for their child's birth control don't want to see that child all flushed and dewy-eyed gazing fondly at the paramour over breakfast in the morning.
I picture the front page of the newspaper when I make some of these decisions. I don't need that kind of publicity.
Right, not every prom kid is looking for a hotel room, and my original comment on a 'humorous' way to get out of the donation for the football programs was meant not to insult the parents of the kids who don't do that, but to wise up parents in general. 'Your' kids are doing this. Maybe not your kid but your kid's friends or acquaintances. To say that a parent who gets that as a response will be insulted probably isn't true. The parent whose child is not up to these hijinks will assume I'm talking about someone else's kid. It's the parent who is sure/sort of wondering if their kid called who is going to be insulted that I would think it's any of my concern.

Copperhead said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
wow.gif
Copperhead said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
wow.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
As someone once said on this forum "We are not the morality police" we have to be careful assuming every prom date is looking to book a room.
I agree with that up to a point. And that point is high schoolers. Not so much that I'm being the 'morality police' on this, altho deep inside I am, but it is more that I don't want to be a party to something that their own parents won't acknowledge and may come down on me for allowing should 'something' happen.
If the parents are ok with their kids taking a room in a hotel then these parents should be like those parents who allow underage drinking in their homes...'We'd rather they do it here so we don't worry about where they are.' Let the parents dress up the child's bedroom and offer breakfast in the morning and see how fast their attitude changes about what they think is ok behavior. It's the rare parent who can accept their 17 or 18 year old's sexuality when it's right in their face. So don't make me a party to it, if they can't accept it themselves. Even parents who pay for their child's birth control don't want to see that child all flushed and dewy-eyed gazing fondly at the paramour over breakfast in the morning.
I picture the front page of the newspaper when I make some of these decisions. I don't need that kind of publicity.
Right, not every prom kid is looking for a hotel room, and my original comment on a 'humorous' way to get out of the donation for the football programs was meant not to insult the parents of the kids who don't do that, but to wise up parents in general. 'Your' kids are doing this. Maybe not your kid but your kid's friends or acquaintances. To say that a parent who gets that as a response will be insulted probably isn't true. The parent whose child is not up to these hijinks will assume I'm talking about someone else's kid. It's the parent who is sure/sort of wondering if their kid called who is going to be insulted that I would think it's any of my concern.
Bree said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I agree with that up to a point. And that point is high schoolers. Not so much that I'm being the 'morality police' on this, altho deep inside I am, but it is more that I don't want to be a party to something that their own parents won't acknowledge and may come down on me for allowing should 'something' happen........
I am not doing this as the 'morality police' - if having sex is what they want to do, me saying NO is not going to stop them, it just stops them from doing it here. I am doing this because I am not wanting to be part of the news either. If one of the them is under age, there could be criminal charges taken against the 'adult'. I do not want my B&B's name in the mix as to where they happened to have stayed. And this goes well beyond prom night.

Our high school had an "all night party" at the school...you had to sign in, and it was fully chaperoned, and we stayed up all night and played basketball, volleyball, watched movies, etc. Good times!.
I didn't ask about payment. It was a boyfriend-girlfriend. I can't believe things have come to such a pass that high schoolers take hotel rooms for their prom night and it wasn't for a big boozer. I mean, c'mon.
That walk-in was promptly followed by a call for the same room for a family of 4. Good grief people, teenagers or babies, I can't win.
I had a very young man call last week and wanted to know the price of rooms. When I told him he said "Are you serious?. I told him I was and he said thank you. I just smiled and hung up. Kids around here would not pay our prices.

Back