Promoting your area - the good and mediocre

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I have issues in certain areas of promotion as I am always promotiong our area, but as mentioned the service is not always the best, people like to talk talk talk way too long, and it is not always the best bang for your buck.
Example - the massage guests had yesterday. No one works with us and will offer a discount, not even to me and I send them business, so it is full fare. This is the way it is here, it annoys the heck out of me. The massage which is more like a back rub unless you pay $30 more for the deep tissue, is not that cheap. I feel bad when a guest does not get their money's worth, and then tips the massage therapist on top of it - as they feel obligated to do so. They felt gipped. What can I do? I need to promote the things to do and see in the area - I need to to pay the bills! I will have a very short list if I took off all the mediocre businesses.
What would you do? What do you do?
If I have only two links of things to do on our website, our bookings will drop off. Perhaps someone with loads of money doesn't care about tipping and not getting the most out of it, but some guests work hard to get away for a special ocassion. It makes ME feel bad. There is no alternative. The other massage therapists will not come to the BnB, they will not work weekends. They won't work with us at all.
(That is just one example discussed over breakfast today with the guest)

Did the guest tell the massage therapist they wanted her to use more pressure or do deep tissue? She charges extra for deep tissue??? That's weird. What does she charge? To come to the B & B..ours charges $60 per person and $10 extra for a couple's massage.
Have you ever had a massage from her? If the guests did not like the massage, then I would tell the massage therapist that. She needs to know that people do not like what she is doing.
mine is the only one who will go out to do massages. I can't believe the others haven't caught on yet. They could be making big bucks!! Guess they are just too lazy to haul their table and stuff around:-(
If guests can't get a good massage from yours, then I would just drop her. She'll get the message when she doesn't get any work.

There is a lot to do in our area so I have no issue dropping mediocre stuff. If I were in your shoes I would probably draw the line at not allowing mediocrity in the house...if the masage sucked but they chose to go out for it, they aren't likely to hold it against you. If the masseuse came in to your house and did a crappy job, then they could (at least mentally) hold it against you.

I always think honesty is the best policy. If that is the only massage therapist in your area tell your guest...that the deep tissue is better and well worth the extra $30 (if that is the case.) It's better to be honest then to have someone be dissappointed.
I also agree with catlady in terms of talking to the person/company that provided the service to your guests. If it wasn't quality they should know about it. Of course, do it nicely, but I would like to know if I'm not providing a quality experience.
I know in my town there are several message therapists that work from their home. They don't have a big shop, signs, adverstising, etc... maybe you could find someone like that... maybe they would be willing to work with your schedule??
I do understand where you are coming from... sadly I have high standards and most places around here, from restaurants to shopping, are just medicore. I wish I had the time to open a great restaurant, coffee shop, etc...
confused_smile.gif

Yes I had a massage from her and it was the "back rub" I was referring to, so I mentioned that to the guests, so they told her and got the deep tissue vs the swedish. Still not deep tissue they said.
I just feel bad for them, they are scraping their pennies together - just married this week, I hate when people do things like that.
Yeah good point about not having mediocre in the house. :) There are a couple other places they could go, but not walk there. They are like in a strip mall or chiro's office, I am not even going to promote them. Not open weekends. But heck I bet THEY give a decent massage!

Yes I had a massage from her and it was the "back rub" I was referring to, so I mentioned that to the guests, so they told her and got the deep tissue vs the swedish. Still not deep tissue they said.
I just feel bad for them, they are scraping their pennies together - just married this week, I hate when people do things like that.
Yeah good point about not having mediocre in the house. :) There are a couple other places they could go, but not walk there. They are like in a strip mall or chiro's office, I am not even going to promote them. Not open weekends. But heck I bet THEY give a decent massage!.
Yes having only mediocre is tough. Believe me we have lots here..restaurants, etc etc.. and we do not even bother to tell guests about them. I would never tell anyone to use a service or place I would not. It is a shame, but seems like mediocrity is becoming a standard. UGH!!!!

Is there a massage therapy school in your area? I have a wonderfully great girl who will come to the house - unfortunately the last few times one has been wanted, she could not schedule it so I sent them to the spa down the road - also very good.
If you have a school near you, perhaps you could talk to the person who runs it about teaching the students how lucrative it can be to be a in-home/in-room, plus they would not have the expense of setting up a studio, just get a portable table.

I feel fortunate to have several resources to pool from when it comes to massage therapists. If someone wants deep tissue like shiatsu, I can recommend someone for that. If someone wants a relaxing swedish massage, I have a therapist for that too. I have a woman who just does relexology, facial massage or neonatal modalities. Most of them will travel to the Inn for an additional fee or the guest can go to their local offices.
The current rate here is $75 for 1 hour and I keep copies of every therapists license/insurance on file for my own protection.
I have 2 spas within 10 minutes for those who prefer a spa treatment.
I have tried all the therapists I have come in or I would not use them. In addition, all my rooms have a dining guide with recommended restaurants that I have eaten in on many occassions. If I do not think a local eatery or business is not up to par, I simply don't recommend them.
In my opinion, there is nothing worse for a guest to get dressed up to go to a nice restaurant and pay big money for poor food or inattentive service.

I feel fortunate to have several resources to pool from when it comes to massage therapists. If someone wants deep tissue like shiatsu, I can recommend someone for that. If someone wants a relaxing swedish massage, I have a therapist for that too. I have a woman who just does relexology, facial massage or neonatal modalities. Most of them will travel to the Inn for an additional fee or the guest can go to their local offices.
The current rate here is $75 for 1 hour and I keep copies of every therapists license/insurance on file for my own protection.
I have 2 spas within 10 minutes for those who prefer a spa treatment.
I have tried all the therapists I have come in or I would not use them. In addition, all my rooms have a dining guide with recommended restaurants that I have eaten in on many occassions. If I do not think a local eatery or business is not up to par, I simply don't recommend them.
In my opinion, there is nothing worse for a guest to get dressed up to go to a nice restaurant and pay big money for poor food or inattentive service..
Our insurance company wants us to be added to the therapists' policy here. They don't accept just the display of insurance.
RIki

I recently removed a lunch restaurant after having it in our room books for a year and a half. I have never had a good meal there although a smattering of guests have. I can't see throwing good money after bad. However, they just started dinners (different approach) so we tried it tonight. I won't be recommending it but I have the menu which is quite limited if someone asks. There are several better restaurants which are a better value within walking distance. We have eaten at all the local restaurants in our room books. If we haven't tried it, it's not in there.

If you are providing a service to your guests that is substandard, then it only makes you look bad. If this massage therapist is your only choice, I would discontinue the service.

If you are providing a service to your guests that is substandard, then it only makes you look bad. If this massage therapist is your only choice, I would discontinue the service..
I agree with PT. It's a reflection on you and your inn. We have a couple restaurants around here that I still keep the menus/info in the guest binder we have in all the rooms, but I'm very frank about our personal experiences and the guests really appreciate that.

If you are providing a service to your guests that is substandard, then it only makes you look bad. If this massage therapist is your only choice, I would discontinue the service..
I agree with PT. It's a reflection on you and your inn. We have a couple restaurants around here that I still keep the menus/info in the guest binder we have in all the rooms, but I'm very frank about our personal experiences and the guests really appreciate that.
We were frank with our guests as well. We had menus in a notebook in each room, but I created a graph which RATED the restaurants. It spoke volumes without me having to say anything negative about the restaurants. Folks always joked with me about it and how they expected to see something like that from a computer gal:)
Image2.jpg

Back