Property Taxes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice

Reaction score
We have 5 acres that the B&B is on I just found out that the county is taxing us commercial on one of the acres. Before we went forward with the B&B I thought I had all this taken care of. (Not having to have the land zone commercial) What I'm wanting to know is there anyone outthere other than me being taxed commercial even if you are not zoned commercial. I would like to hear some words of wisdom from the smartest B&B people I know. You guys keep me going....love ya all!

taxing commercially on property? what is that? we are in the CBD here, business tax?

We're zoned mixed use and taxed on part of the property being commercial.

Unless you've got it in writing that you are 100% residential or farmland, you're probably sunk.

I am NOT zone commercial just paying commercial taxes on 1 acre. If I was zoned commercial the I would't have a problem cause I could sell it then as commercial. That is what got my panties in a wad! Have you heard of anythig so stupid???

I am NOT zone commercial just paying commercial taxes on 1 acre. If I was zoned commercial the I would't have a problem cause I could sell it then as commercial. That is what got my panties in a wad! Have you heard of anythig so stupid???.
Ice said:
I am NOT zone commercial just paying commercial taxes on 1 acre. If I was zoned commercial the I would't have a problem cause I could sell it then as commercial. That is what got my panties in a wad! Have you heard of anythig so stupid???
Well, if your tax map says 'residential' then complain.
BTW- the idea that TN is going to tax FREE meals, is right up there with the stupidest thing I've heard in awhile! And counting overnight guests in B&B's as residents on the census is another one.
But, I can sympathize because anything involving taxes and city hall is worth a few days of aggro in any town.

I think I will stay at the commercial acre on April 1. Joke's on them!!!

I think I will stay at the commercial acre on April 1. Joke's on them!!!.
HA HA - (loud and boisterous). Love that!
Now regarding being taxed as commercial, I would file an appeal (that is how it works here) with the tax office. I would also contact my councilman to see if they can clear up the issue as it could just be a miss communication.
When we were getting approved to open we had to go through the zoning board for a permit and we are considered residentual with a variance as our area would not be approved to be commercial. Do you have any paperwork indicating your zoning? That would be your piece of gold right there.
Also interesting that it is only one acre being taxed that way. Are they considered seperate parcels of land? And have they always been considered to be seperate (or 1 large parcel)?

I am NOT zone commercial just paying commercial taxes on 1 acre. If I was zoned commercial the I would't have a problem cause I could sell it then as commercial. That is what got my panties in a wad! Have you heard of anythig so stupid???.
Ice said:
Well, if your tax map says 'residential' then complain.
BTW- the idea that TN is going to tax FREE meals, is right up there with the stupidest thing I've heard in awhile! And counting overnight guests in B&B's as residents on the census is another one.
But, I can sympathize because anything involving taxes and city hall is worth a few days of aggro in any town.
Morticia said:
BTW- the idea that TN is going to tax FREE meals, is right up there with the stupidest thing I've heard in awhile!
My state has been taxing free meals for a long time. I think it's $.35-$.40 per meal. It's just built in to the cost of the room

We are in a subdivision.
smileystooges.gif
(I think these guys work there!)
PS I'm one of the trustees
wink_smile.gif

We are in a mixed use area of the city. My accountant advised me to list as 2/3 commercial and 1/3 residential. You should have seen the faces on the staff at the assessor's office when I went in to have the property listed that way! They were used to people trying to get out of paying taxes - but in essence that is what I am doing because they were going to give me 1/2 & 1/2 - but 2/3 of my utilitiy costs, the cost of the siding etc give me a bigger deduction since 2/3 is larger than 1/2.
I pay the highest rate they can possibly charge on the 2/3 of my building - but I can also now claim 2/3 of the expenses of said building as tax deductions.

Don't get me started on the idiocracy here of property taxes. We are in a mixed used area. Our second house is taxed at the max rate. We are taxed at a pretty high rate here as well. The Governor of our State has gotten rid of all homestead exemptions, so no one gets a break in that respect.
I would file an appeal.

I have no property tax, no state income tax.....gotta love it! But...everything else costs out the wazoo!

I have no property tax, no state income tax.....gotta love it! But...everything else costs out the wazoo!.
From your stories in the past, we know that's true! Hopefully no one will do anything idiotic that will affect your boat's pumps!
btw - I tried to send my son your way for his June conference in Miami Beach but he ended up at a hotel. :-( He won't have a car.

Back