Property Taxes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
I know in a previous thread that someone mentioned that NH has very high property taxes. So for the sake of this question, I'll use that as truth. How does the rest of the Northeast measure up to NH? I am thinking mostly Maine and Vermont. (I dont' know if MA, CT or RI count as Northeast, but if you know what the taxes are like there, feel free to share).
I'm the one from the Mid-West with the dh from Maine...it'd be him going back to his home state if we bought a turnkey in Maine and me becoming like a fish out of water...it might be hard to live without seeing the Amish buggies and cornfields everyday. (but that's another topic).

it'd be him going back to his home state if we bought a turnkey in Maine and me becoming like a fish out of water...it might be hard to live without seeing the Amish buggies and cornfields everyday. (but that's another topic).
Look for a place where you will BOTH be happy. That is the only way it will work.
I survived in the flatland (Illinois) but was not happy. It really dragged me down - more than I even realized as I look back on it. Coming back to WV made me extremely happy BUT I knew he would have the things HE NEEDED to make him happy.
Taxes in West Virginia - even though the business is taxed at the highest rate possible - are a joke compared to what we paid in Illinois. Lot sizes comparable; WV house is 2.5 times larger with (now 3 full baths) opposed to 1 in Illinois; taxes in Illinois in 1995 were over $2200. Taxes here (including personal property for the B & B and our personal property (our car) was $710 for the year! (Note: I am NOT in the Eastern Gateway near the DC metro area where I have heard taxes are a lot higher.)

OK, here's an example...where we lived in VT (in Chittenden County) the property taxes (read that 'school tax) was $5000 on a 3200 sq ft house on 1 acre.
Here, we live along the coast, but not on it. Twice the house, same amount of land, twice the price. INLAND it is much cheaper. Until you get near mountains or lakes, basically anywhere you'd really want to live.

www.Zillow.com is a cool way to see house values and sometimes for some areas (if you view the house info) it will show what the last tax collection was and the assessed value so that you can figure out what the taxes are per thousand.

www.Zillow.com is a cool way to see house values and sometimes for some areas (if you view the house info) it will show what the last tax collection was and the assessed value so that you can figure out what the taxes are per thousand..
swirt said:
www.Zillow.com is a cool way to see house values and sometimes for some areas (if you view the house info) it will show what the last tax collection was and the assessed value so that you can figure out what the taxes are per thousand.
Just be forewarned that zillow can be wildly wrong -- up or down -- for any given property because it extrapolates value based on recent nearby sales, but does not take into account the features and amenities that affect value. Such features might be finished basements, lots that back to highways, etc, or the fact that the closest nearby sales are truly not comparable properties. Zillow can be useful as long as you don't rely exclusively on it.

Also remember some B&B's are taxed as a business, not a residence, this could impact the answers here.
I posted an Inn the news a few months back that closed the B&B down as they zoned them commercial and had to pay more in real estate taxes than they made per year.

Rememeber the other INN the news I had on the other forum. NH or VT cannot recall which, sorry, taxed the land higher if it had a view. Double what the piece next to it was taxed.
The county bext to us has exactly DOUBLE the property taxes that we have. The next one UP has double THEN SOME to what we pay.

www.Zillow.com is a cool way to see house values and sometimes for some areas (if you view the house info) it will show what the last tax collection was and the assessed value so that you can figure out what the taxes are per thousand..
swirt said:
Just be forewarned that zillow can be wildly wrong -- up or down -- for any given property because it extrapolates value based on recent nearby sales, but does not take into account the features and amenities that affect value. Such features might be finished basements, lots that back to highways, etc, or the fact that the closest nearby sales are truly not comparable properties. Zillow can be useful as long as you don't rely exclusively on it.
Very true... I should have been more careful to say look at the "Tax Assessor's Value" from Zillow and not the Zestimate. The tax assessors value comes from the assessor's books and is what is used to calculate the taxes (for those areas where they are taxed on home value).

emspiers said:
I'm the one from the Mid-West with the dh from Maine...it'd be him going back to his home state if we bought a turnkey in Maine and me becoming like a fish out of water...it might be hard to live without seeing the Amish buggies and cornfields everyday. (but that's another topic).
Apparently the Amish are moving to Maine, among other places...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,407461,00.html
=)
Kk.

emspiers said:
=)
Kk..
It is so funny that you should mention that. I was talking with my Amish friend a few days ago and she was telling me of her cousin and his wife who just moved up to Unity, Maine to start a group up there...I guess that wouldn't be too bad!!

emspiers said:
=)
Kk..
It is so funny that you should mention that. I was talking with my Amish friend a few days ago and she was telling me of her cousin and his wife who just moved up to Unity, Maine to start a group up there...I guess that wouldn't be too bad!!
emspiers said:
Unity is pretty much 'Ground Zero' for all sorts of 'back to the earth' and homesteader types. There are 3 towns there that were the home of the hippie movement...Unity, Freedom and Liberty.

Back