Property Tours

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
Just got a call from someone who is having a wedding next Spring. They want to come by and tour before they recommend our B&B to their friends and relatives on an accommodations list. I checked my calendar for a specific time & then said "yes". Do you ever get these kinds of calls?
I guess it's better than someone just dropping by!

(Edited to say "nevermind." I'll go away now.).
oh,absolutely...I would never show someone an occupied room or something that wasn't ready to go!
regular_smile.gif

Well, from looking at your website I cannot think of a reason the bride WOULDN'T recommend you to her guests!! Your inn is beautiful, so homey, warm and welcoming. She will be thrilled when she comes to visit.
teeth_smile.gif

Yes, we get this quite frequently. As long as they show up when it is convenient for me, I'm perfectly ok with it. My experience with this has been that you DO get the bookings if you are willing to show them around. Be prepared to explain why you don't offer discounts if they book multiple rooms. Hotels do the discount so they think it is SOP.

Yes we did get those kind of requests. I didn't mind doing it as long as they called and scheduled in advance. It usually meant we got their bookings because they liked what they saw and it gave them a chance to "meet" the innkeepers...and this way they felt more confident recommending us as the place they should stay.
This is FAR better than those people who want to drop in anytime for a tour!!! Those folks don't get one.

Mon-Thurs, generally from 2-4, when rooms are clean, on a day with a new slew checking in, so they can see all the rooms....

I wish I had had time to visit the lodging that I recommended to my wedding guests. Instead, since I was planning a destination, I just sent everyone to one big hotel downtown that offered a group discount... and regretted it. Most of my family booked at a smaller place further away from the wedding, which still ended up being cheaper, so they could save money and all be together. And I ended up driving around to multiple hotels dropping off welcome packages before the rehearsal.
I'd be so much happier to know they were all receiving warm welcomes, yummy breakfasts, and local flavor in your care. You'll be a knock-out!

(Edited to say "nevermind." I'll go away now.).
Oh, no...thanks...I appreciate the advice. Who knows? I need some bookings...I could have just said, "Come on over whenever you feel like it!" The call did take me by surprise. haha!

Yes, we get this quite frequently. As long as they show up when it is convenient for me, I'm perfectly ok with it. My experience with this has been that you DO get the bookings if you are willing to show them around. Be prepared to explain why you don't offer discounts if they book multiple rooms. Hotels do the discount so they think it is SOP..
Thanks, GAGirl, for the kind words!
Yes, I thought it was really nice that they called to ask and didn't just show up. They need to come by after work one day so it's all set up for a day this week. I have given other folks tours and nothing came of it. At first, I thought the call might be for the wedding venue...which we don't do. But then I asked if they were looking for places to recommend to either send out with the invitation or with those online wedding planning sites. I think it's nice that they're checking out places for their friends and relatives and there are a few of us close by each other so it would work well to have choices.
Based on the "group" theory in another thread, I don't think I'd be offering any discount :)

I wish I had had time to visit the lodging that I recommended to my wedding guests. Instead, since I was planning a destination, I just sent everyone to one big hotel downtown that offered a group discount... and regretted it. Most of my family booked at a smaller place further away from the wedding, which still ended up being cheaper, so they could save money and all be together. And I ended up driving around to multiple hotels dropping off welcome packages before the rehearsal.
I'd be so much happier to know they were all receiving warm welcomes, yummy breakfasts, and local flavor in your care. You'll be a knock-out!.
sometimes a bride calls ahead of time.
sometimes a couple (and parents) have just come to the door.
when this happens, they are usually serious about booking and think they have to do it in person. first year, we had a reputation to overcome of 'that old wreck of a place' so i wanted to show it wasn't a wreck any more!
i much prefer to know they are coming so i can tell them when it is good to come. but have shown the place on less than stellar days and they still booked the whole place. i go with my instincts on whether or not to show the place without notice. sometimes, it's because they just came from another place in the area because they didn't realize there aren't many rooms to be had close by ..... and that place SENT them to me. i really like it when the other innkeeper or whomever calls me first. but, it's still nice to get recommended!
i get a deposit from the bride (or whomever) and then as each guest calls (they have to call because webervations now shows all rooms unavailable) i get a deposit from the guest and then refund that portion of the deposit to the bride. so far this has worked out.
first year, absolutely miserable weather i spotted a couple outside walking around and went to the door. nothing was open. not even the general store. engaged couple. i gave them tea and coffee and loaned them umbrellas so they could go explore (we had NO guests at the time) some of the rooms were in winter hybernation mode ... really stripped down but they understood that. they returned the umbrellas and left. i thought, oh well, no sale. about a week later, the bride got in touch and booked all the rooms for her guests. it felt so good to look at some months down the road and see a booking ... i still remember that feeling! like, maybe i CAN do this.

Back