Pros and cons? Square signature removal.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Square now allows turning off the signature required line on check out. Credit card companies no longer require a signature. What are your pros and cons with this?
If the card companies no longer require a signature, they cannot come back and say 'well, you didn't get a signature' on a chargeback.
I'd just as soon turn off the signature as a lot of guests don't 'get' signing on the tablet. They grab it and hit the continue button before signing, they try to 'erase' their signature as 'it doesn't look right' and they all try to sign with their nails instead of finger.

No con, simply fact. Signatures were no longer required as of April 15, 2018 for all cards. Extremely liberating and more efficient. Look around you... almost every business has converted.

No con, simply fact. Signatures were no longer required as of April 15, 2018 for all cards. Extremely liberating and more efficient. Look around you... almost every business has converted..
No place I've been has converted. This whole town still requires signatures.
Every place in NY and CT I went to this week required a sig.

Neither MC or Visa have specifically said that they will indemnify you when it comes to a chargeback with no signature. I would doubt you can win a chargeback with a card processed without a chip and no signature. On the other hand, I think Square does have a guarantee for up to $250 on chargebacks.... but anything over that, you have no proof they were there without a signature. You have more proof if the card was processed by chip.
As for here... we are all still using PINs. The signature line doesn't print when you have a PIN. The charge specifically says verified by PIN.

I no longer have to sign on purchases under $100, but I will get signatures until it no onger is generated. I will not turn off signature as the only time I have a purchase under $100 is a military discount in my budget room or a funeral rate for 1 night.

No con, simply fact. Signatures were no longer required as of April 15, 2018 for all cards. Extremely liberating and more efficient. Look around you... almost every business has converted..
No place I've been has converted. This whole town still requires signatures.
Every place in NY and CT I went to this week required a sig.
Every where around here has been converted including the city just south of us. I specifically take note.

Neither MC or Visa have specifically said that they will indemnify you when it comes to a chargeback with no signature. I would doubt you can win a chargeback with a card processed without a chip and no signature. On the other hand, I think Square does have a guarantee for up to $250 on chargebacks.... but anything over that, you have no proof they were there without a signature. You have more proof if the card was processed by chip.
As for here... we are all still using PINs. The signature line doesn't print when you have a PIN. The charge specifically says verified by PIN..
And, it has to be a chipped card. We still get cards with no chips.
But, you're right, I didn't find anywhere where it said it protects the merchant to have the sig.

As for here... we are all still using PINs. The signature line doesn't print when you have a PIN. The charge specifically says verified by PIN..
But, you're right, I didn't find anywhere where it said it protects the merchant to have the sig.
Until you see that they guarantee no chargebacks, I would get a signature. You can consider dropping it on chip cards, because they are proof that they were there. But magnetic stripe cards can be EASILY replicated... how easy? If I had a writer, I could copy them to gift cards.

Until you see that they guarantee no chargebacks, I would get a signature. You can consider dropping it on chip cards, because they are proof that they were there. But magnetic stripe cards can be EASILY replicated... how easy? If I had a writer, I could copy them to gift cards.
I'll need to pay attention, but I can easily turn the sig line back on for swiped cards.

I'll need to pay attention, but I can easily turn the sig line back on for swiped cards.
Maybe you can tweet them the suggestion that signature on mag stripe only should be an option...

Maybe you can tweet them the suggestion that signature on mag stripe only should be an option...
Good idea!

I got this memo too and thought about what other businesses are doing around here. Most grocery and drug stores have stopped requiring a signature on charges less than $50, but usually still require one for over that mark. There was one place that did not require one as I was just under the $100 mark. That one I questioned the cashier about as I had not heard of that new change.

I am going to continue to ask for a signature as I feel it is for my behalf to do so, whether it be required or not.

As for signatures, I always hand them a stylist pen to use as I got a lot of the fingernail users.

I got this memo too and thought about what other businesses are doing around here. Most grocery and drug stores have stopped requiring a signature on charges less than $50, but usually still require one for over that mark. There was one place that did not require one as I was just under the $100 mark. That one I questioned the cashier about as I had not heard of that new change.

I am going to continue to ask for a signature as I feel it is for my behalf to do so, whether it be required or not.

As for signatures, I always hand them a stylist pen to use as I got a lot of the fingernail users..
I think there are 3 options: require signature, don't require signature, don't require under $25.
Tried it out today, worked like a charm.
However, it certainly does not take less than 2 seconds. It's at least 30-60 seconds to process. Good thing there is not a line out the door!

Im fighting a charge back right now. A lady cancelled 2 days prior to arrival. She told me her mom was very ill and she could not make it. She ended up disputing the charges. Even with agreeing to our cancellation policy and making her reservation online she's still going to win. I sent in all kinds of documents. She is telling the credit card company that her card was stolen. So they are siding with her. This is going to be the new norm now is what the processing company is saying. I can go into mediation with Visa and show them all the info we have. But if they rule against us they will charge us $500-$1000. I have all the info needed but its not worth it.

Im fighting a charge back right now. A lady cancelled 2 days prior to arrival. She told me her mom was very ill and she could not make it. She ended up disputing the charges. Even with agreeing to our cancellation policy and making her reservation online she's still going to win. I sent in all kinds of documents. She is telling the credit card company that her card was stolen. So they are siding with her. This is going to be the new norm now is what the processing company is saying. I can go into mediation with Visa and show them all the info we have. But if they rule against us they will charge us $500-$1000. I have all the info needed but its not worth it..
If she says the card was stolen, then, yes, she's going to win. And she'll have to deal with all that involves - new card, updating any online payments, and putting her credit card company on notice that she does not intend to pay her bills.

Im fighting a charge back right now. A lady cancelled 2 days prior to arrival. She told me her mom was very ill and she could not make it. She ended up disputing the charges. Even with agreeing to our cancellation policy and making her reservation online she's still going to win. I sent in all kinds of documents. She is telling the credit card company that her card was stolen. So they are siding with her. This is going to be the new norm now is what the processing company is saying. I can go into mediation with Visa and show them all the info we have. But if they rule against us they will charge us $500-$1000. I have all the info needed but its not worth it..
If she says the card was stolen, then, yes, she's going to win. And she'll have to deal with all that involves - new card, updating any online payments, and putting her credit card company on notice that she does not intend to pay her bills.
And the CC companies keep track of that and count it against them... it's not that different from fraud.... and now they know you are dishonest.

Hillbilly said:
Im fighting a charge back right now. A lady cancelled 2 days prior to arrival. She told me her mom was very ill and she could not make it. She ended up disputing the charges. Even with agreeing to our cancellation policy and making her reservation online she's still going to win. I sent in all kinds of documents. She is telling the credit card company that her card was stolen. So they are siding with her. This is going to be the new norm now is what the processing company is saying. I can go into mediation with Visa and show them all the info we have. But if they rule against us they will charge us $500-$1000. I have all the info needed but its not worth it.
I don't understand why they would charge you that steeply when all you are doing is proving your 'case'. Did you send in the screen shot of the IP address that was used to make the reservation? That can confirm the location where the reservation was made.

Ya know, if I lost this one I may consider taking them to small claims court. Not really for the money as much as to tell this woman you don't take kindly to being lied to and accused of theft. Small claims court takes in to account that the reservation is a binding contract, as long as there is proof of that and that she agreed, she will loose.

There is a BB in Charleston that only takes a check or cash. I found it interesting, even though you had to send the check before they would confirm the reservation. Saves the merchant fees! I have mostly business travel, so it isn't really a good solution for me.

There is a BB in Charleston that only takes a check or cash. I found it interesting, even though you had to send the check before they would confirm the reservation. Saves the merchant fees! I have mostly business travel, so it isn't really a good solution for me..
So basically a way to ensure they get no foreign visitors... can't issue a cheque in a foreign currency.

Hillbilly said:
I don't understand why they would charge you that steeply when all you are doing is proving your 'case'. Did you send in the screen shot of the IP address that was used to make the reservation? That can confirm the location where the reservation was made.

Ya know, if I lost this one I may consider taking them to small claims court. Not really for the money as much as to tell this woman you don't take kindly to being lied to and accused of theft. Small claims court takes in to account that the reservation is a binding contract, as long as there is proof of that and that she agreed, she will loose.
Copperhead said:
Hillbilly said:

They charge so much because everyone would be doing this if they receive a charge back. Even with all the proof I’m not comfortable with possibly loosing this much money. Small claims only works if they live within your state. I checked on that as well. I can send her to a collection agency.

Back